The Oilers are an old team

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think age is an issue at all for Edmonton in the next year or two. Obviously not, as they just fell 1 win short of the Cup and their projected lineup is clearly better than last year's. It's not like the team's aging four months is going to suddenly put them all out to pasture.

Anyway, it's not about the club's average age, it's more about the average of the core players who will play 21 to 28 minutes per night. In Edmonton's case, their average age is driven up by Derek Ryan (who is likely finished in Edmonton and may retire?) and Corey Perry, who is 85 years old and will probably be in and out of the line-up during the RS, optimistically hoping he'll be healthy and fresh for the playoffs. But who cares much, anyway, as even if these guys play, they'll be playing 7 minutes a night?

As noted, the only core guy who's getting to an advanced age is Mattias Ekholm... who is +72 in his 100 RS games with Edmonton, so he seems to be all right for now.

The Oilers also greatly helped their pipeline prospect with the acquisition of Matthew Savoie. The franchise is clearly in "win now" mode, but I'm sure they're aware that if, in two years, McDavid and Draisaitl sign elsewhere, they need to still ice a competitive club.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
We heard the same thing from Gaudreau. It's just a matter of time.

Star players do not want to play for a Canadian team. When they could just go play somewhere warm and with less aggressive media.

Much like Malkin to Crosby, Drai is not leaving his situation with McDavid, unless he is wildly lowballed, which won’t happen. If you followed the team, this wouldn’t be much of a discussion. Keep dreaming folks, the ride isn’t ending any time soon.

Reactions: Kerberos

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Much like Malkin to Crosby, Drai is not leaving his situation with McDavid, unless he is wildly lowballed, which won’t happen. If you followed the team, this wouldn’t be much of a discussion. Keep dreaming folks, the ride isn’t ending any time soon.
He hates the Oilers media. He can't wait to get out of town.

Obviously in interviews he isn't going to admit that though.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010

Star players do not want to play for a Canadian team. When they could just go play somewhere warm and with less aggressive media.
Anyone sensible would. Seriously the only reason people work at all in the northern hemisphere is because either they have "A" job there, the jobs elsewhere wouldn't be as good/high paying, or they can't get a job at all elsewhere. In hockey there's no difference, so if you can get a deal from somewhere warm you take it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Their top forwards are still young, or at least young enough.

On defense, maybe some concern with ekholm as he is getting up there. He looked fine this playoff but as we know, when father time comes calling, the drop off can be quick and significant.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Thanks, that is exactly what I meant.
The same reason, why I think Tampa Bay is not a contender anymore. They are too old, too slow.
Tampa hasn't been a contender because they don't have the range depth they did when they won. The salary cap makes those teams pick and choose support players.

The Oilers are 'older' on average because they're bringing in veteran support players in depth roles.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers core players are in their prime including Ekholm. The guy just had a career year.

Guys like Holloway, Broberg and maybe Savoie will slowly take bigger roles on the club replacing 33+ guys when they lose a step.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Anyone sensible would. Seriously the only reason people work at all in the northern hemisphere is because either they have "A" job there, the jobs elsewhere wouldn't be as good/high paying, or they can't get a job at all elsewhere. In hockey there's no difference, so if you can get a deal from somewhere warm you take it.

This guy plays in the league

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
Calling the Oilers an "old" team is really a misleading quote.

Draisaitl is 28
McDavid is 27
Holloway is 22
Savoie is 20
Skinner is 24
Bouchard is 24
Broberg is 23
3 other guys just turned 30

5 other guys are between 30 and 32

this thread makes no sense. The Oilers barely have anyone over 35 except for 1 guy trying to win a cup.

so 30 year old complimentary players are old now ?

The core is young, fast and in their primes. Some of these threads don't even make sense,

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
I just visited capfriendly (still up) and noticed, that the Oilers are an very old team, at least at the forward position. Their youngest forwards are pretty much McDavid and Draisaitl, who are in their late twenties.
Beside, they have Dylan Holloway and now Savoie, who both might not play a lot or make an impact yet.
Their best defense D-Man Ekholm is 34 and Nurse is not getting better at 29.
Beside Bouchard and Broberg, all their D-Man are around 30 as well

I was just wondering, with so many forwards way beyond their 30 birthday, if the Oilers are not to old to win the cup.
I always thought a good mix of elite forwards not older than 30 and good players around 25 to 30 are good recipe to win the cup. Maybe one or two older veterans.

I am thinking, they will not be fast enough or run out of gas because of their age.

Looking back, has their ever been a team to win the cup with such an old group?
1967 maple leafs.....2002 red wings...

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They don’t have a 80 year old GM and a team full of 35+ veterans like the Islanders do so by default, they’re still young.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I just visited capfriendly (still up) and noticed, that the Oilers are an very old team, at least at the forward position. Their youngest forwards are pretty much McDavid and Draisaitl, who are in their late twenties.
Beside, they have Dylan Holloway and now Savoie, who both might not play a lot or make an impact yet.
Their best defense D-Man Ekholm is 34 and Nurse is not getting better at 29.
Beside Bouchard and Broberg, all their D-Man are around 30 as well

I was just wondering, with so many forwards way beyond their 30 birthday, if the Oilers are not to old to win the cup.
I always thought a good mix of elite forwards not older than 30 and good players around 25 to 30 are good recipe to win the cup. Maybe one or two older veterans.

I am thinking, they will not be fast enough or run out of gas because of their age.

Looking back, has their ever been a team to win the cup with such an old group?

Our reaction:

olf-af.gif

Do we care? No. Carry on.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers are definitely getting up there although their best core players are still reasonably aged. That often becomes the case when you are trying to win the Cup. Some teams are lucky and have a quality enough younger core that is good enough to compete for the Cup but not typically.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I’ll be here to see your narrative shift when Draisaitl signs. Suddenly Oilers will be crippled by his contract. Draisaitl signing was the worst option for Edmonton. Etc etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad