Blackhawks media thread

Do you subscribe to The Athletic?

• Total voters

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Anybody else listen to the CHGO podcast? I stopped bc they kinda badmouth other more successful podcasts and media folks and that really bothered me cuz they’re honestly mids and it just came off as jealous and turned me off.. but while I did listen I noticed Greg Boyson constantly getting Hagel and once or twice Saads name wrong, calling them both Brendan… what I thought at least 20 times. But now I’m not sure if it was my shitty ears or what. Curious if anyone is able to corroborate this??

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
So if it is a numbers game then surely1 of our first 5 selections currently beconesxa star even 4/ those 5 fail to be of much difference-making quality...Of course you probably get similar results throwing darts at target names on a wall...andvof course we have tge ready made excuse that the vaunted new processes and changes coming to our scouting dept. Will not be on place until they scout next season's draft crop ...

So for this draft=darts on a wall or luck..=crap-shoot ..but if a numbers game we still expect at minimum 1 of the first 5 of our picks to actually become if not a superstar then at least topbsix forward level eventually or top 3 dman if we pick a dman in our 1st 5 picks..

Anything beyond that and we got lucky or our scouts went above and beyond expectation.

.But 5 more total busts and somebody's head has to roll a few years down the line when the drFtes' success or failures will be known.
Found this on Twitter today and while it's a little old, I would suspect scouting has only gotten better since 2013.

Attachments

• FGvhwFzUUAMwxL5.png
    FGvhwFzUUAMwxL5.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: plasmonresonance

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Anybody else listen to the CHGO podcast? I stopped bc they kinda badmouth other more successful podcasts and media folks and that really bothered me cuz they’re honestly mids and it just came off as jealous and turned me off.. but while I did listen I noticed Greg Boyson constantly getting Hagel and once or twice Saads name wrong, calling them both Brendan… what I thought at least 20 times. But now I’m not sure if it was my shitty ears or what. Curious if anyone is able to corroborate this??

Hosts lose credibility when they don't even know how to pronounce the names of players that they should know. I've noticed this often with Laz and Powers, even though they have gotten better, the 3rd Feather or whatever the hell the Sam Fels podcast is called nowadays, and the Keeping Karlson fantasy hockey podcast. I understand misspelling names, I still have to look up how to spell Hjalmarsson and Olczyk, but mispronouncing players' names from around the league speaks to their lack of knowledge.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Powers has been a disappointment for me. He’s the only journalist who didn’t even have Josi in his top 5 for the Norris.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Scott Powers is a good journalist and nothing more

His personal hockey takes are never good
I listen and read a lot of different hockey writers and podcasters and Lazerus and Powers are mediocre at best. Lazerus is intelligent and an excellent writer but his condescension and overall smarminess is very off-putting. And this is coming from a guy who pretty much agrees with him politically which is something that makes him unpopular with many:(. Powers is just meh and is a pretty lousy talker on the podcasts. Back when I followed the Hawks closely, I rarely learned anything from consuming their work in the Athletic. You could sift through posts in this forum and get better insight about the Hawks than from their coverage.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Listened to the latest Laz and Powers podcast on the Athletic and it might have been the most boring, uninspiring hockey podcast I've ever heard. I can't blame them much since the Hawks have nothing interesting to talk about. Maybe that is why it only went 40 minutes. And Powers really needs to work on his speaking. The "um"s and "you know"s seem to be getting worse with him. Spit it out already! Wonder if the Athletic keeps employing two writers to cover the Hawks. There are a bunch of teams without a single writer and I suspect the Hawks' following is going to decrease dramatically during their rebuild.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
What about fan podcasts like Andy Campbell and his panel over at the-Rink.com . And their Rinkcasts covering the Blackhawks?Or tge Second City Hockey website and other podcasts.?The guy who ribs Blackup up has sone serious incisive and knowledgeable commentary.

yes..you usually do not get much fro. POWERS AND Laz podcasts...maybe they give more insights behind their pay walk forcthe Athletoc study.. but it seems only when they bring in special guests with better knowledge doyou get much of real value ...their knowledge is pretty limited themselves.. and for Laz he neither as he clains id a fan of the Blackhawks but only doing his objective journalism job whicjI suspect he woukd rather be on a political or social culture "intelkectual" journalism job not a mere sports journalism job anyway...

His politics of course turn me off when he gets off hockey.but he cannot stop promoting his beliefs and telling tgecworkd they mist comply to his dictates.This makes him nauseating when he goescoff track from what he shoukd be talking about...the on ice product...not issues that fit his moral superiority complex.

You getvavkit of religion of stuff we already know from Powers. TOGETHER THEY just do not provide moch new information you already have anyway.

The panel over at Second City Hockey havecsonevibterestibg takes and certain panel members like Betsy who lives inAtlanta seem to be a lot more knowledgeable...but sinetinescthey have a dolt on the panel too and they alk go off on the food take tangent..Who cares? JUST stick to the hockey for tgevoidcssts!They have gone over to payroll for some deeper analysis articles ...now havec2 levels of suppirt..but you can still getca few free articles off the website and still get the main podcasts free.

The CHGO podcasts panel on the Blackhawks which go to YouTube and are free,arexreakky not that knowledgeable in my view..again repeat stuff we get from other sources.. but at least you can get competing opinions .....sonetines...However I lost respect when a couple of their panelists said Kk was ok for a 19 year old in his first season...but then compounded the bad asessment (clearly at-39 Kk strughged) they then said they expected him with the Blackhawks not in Rockford.. when clearly even a kindergartner could see he needs to develop in Rockford before he is NHL ready.

So really I think hfboards.com with thus Blackhawks board is the overall best place to go to get info and opinions from the most informed sources..the fans who post on this board!
And of course ESPECIALLY concerning prospect updates,analysis,and opinions pointing out weaknesses and best attributes and any improvements or retreats that affect their trajectories for impact or busting.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
yes..you usually do not get much fro. POWERS AND Laz podcasts...maybe they give more insights behind their pay walk forcthe Athletoc study.. but it seems only when they bring in special guests with better knowledge doyou get much of real value ...their knowledge is pretty limited themselves.. and for Laz he neither as he clains id a fan of the Blackhawks but only doing his objective journalism job whicjI suspect he woukd rather be on a political or social culture "intelkectual" journalism job not a mere sports journalism job anyway...

So really I think hfboards.com with thus Blackhawks board is the overall best place to go to get info and opinions from the most informed sources..the fans who post on this board!
And of course ESPECIALLY concerning prospect updates,analysis,and opinions pointing out weaknesses and best attributes and any improvements or retreats that affect their trajectories for impact or busting.
Neither Laz or Powers have very deep hockey knowledge and both started their careers covering other sports. Back when I used to follow the Hawks closely, I never seemed to learn anything from their articles or podcast. I agree with 50 that this forum is a good place to sift through comments to be informed about the Hawks. I do find it quite annoying that their podcast is not free for Athletic subscribers and I sure as hell am not going to pay more for their work.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know if tge new sorts network covering the Hawks,Bulls And White Sox broadcasts will be having g a website like nbcsports chicago had covering thrsex3 teams (and the beats) with articles and videos and podcasts?

If they will have a website will they be hiring any of the people who worked for nbcspirts chicago (which is shutting down after the new networks starts this fall in Octobe?.

As a Blackhawks fan, I would miss the articles and podcasts from Charlie Roumemuitis and Pat Boyle or sonetones guests likeJames Neveau
...hope the new Network hires some of these people ,ratgercthan see them .lose their jobs and not find work coveribgbour favourite team or teams on Chicago.

Last edited:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I did not re up with the Athletic. They just didn’t find much useful articles from those 2. There are other resources to glean from. There are good reporters like Russo on there just none for the Hawks.

Laz is as useless as a poop flavored lollipop. All he does is push his shit books and politics it seems. To which I like to keep sports (an escape) away from politics like most people which he doesn’t get nor care about. So, they don’t get my $.

Reactions: ray c

Crow

May 19, 2014
Laz is a clickbait troll with no integrity. If you don’t see through his bullshit I question your judgement. I dislike whoever enabled him to be as successful as he is. Also quite frankly I’d rather shovel shit than be semi famous for being a piece of one. At least I could respect myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad