Player Discussion: The Official Steven Stamkos Appreciation Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
No words. Lecavalier was the reason I became a Bolts fan, Stamkos was the main reason I stayed a Bolts fan all these years (not that I plan to not be a Bolts fan going forward but for sure not so invested after how this went). Lecavalier was washed by the end of his Bolts career and while it was sad to see him go, I fully understood the necessity of it. This is different.

It's not only Stammer leaving, it's how it's been dealt with (or not dealt with, I mean), communicated and how JBB has changed his story and excuses along the way. We don't of course know all the details behind the curtains but if any of the rumors are even remotely true, this is a major f*** up.

Guentzel may very well be better at 5v5 but we don't really know how it'll play out, do we? And the top 6 does not look too good right now, not to mention our PP. I would also argue Guentzel is not 3-5m better than Stamkos (or whatever the difference is between 9m and what Stammer was willing to sign for). Just lost all the respect for JBB and I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong - I suppose it will not be very different from the sour taste this ordeal leaves behind - but not the same after this for sure.

Last edited:

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
What does this do to Heddy and his desire to sign an extension?

I can imagine that locker room is as angry as we are.
Absolutely. The team has to be pissed off by this development, and what about the coaches? Kucherov was practicing with Stamkos a week after they were eliminated. McDonagh talked how excited he was to be joining Stamkos and company again.

Stamkos was so respected by everyone in that room and never did I think it would come to this. And damn BriseBois for lying and saying signing Stamkos was top priority as cover.

And Guentzel is now walking into this mess. No fault of his own but now he is the "replacement." If Stamkos wasn't so beloved and if he had wanted a change in scenery, be completely different.

Every single postseason interview by a player or coach said signing Stamkos was important to them.

Clear now the reality was they were telling the truth and BriseBois wasn't.

This team still has major holes in the lineup and now what? Who is going to fill those spots? We've gone sideways with a huge unknown in how Guentzel integrates into the line up, still without a complete top 6.

Congratulations, BriseBois. You've adversely impacted the team dynamic, pissed off the fanbase, and still managed to not address glaring deficiencies on the roster.

Now I need some meditation exercises to lower the blood pressure.

But no statue for you, BriseBois. (But you know those players won't trust a word out of this guy's mouth going forward).

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
100% agreed.

Absolutely. The team has to be pissed off by this development, and what about the coaches? Kucherov was practicing with Stamkos a week after they were eliminated. McDonagh talked how excited he was to be joining Stamkos and company again.

Stamkos was so respected by everyone in that room and never did I think it would come to this. And damn BriseBois for lying and saying signing Stamkos was top priority as cover.

And Guentzel is now walking into this mess. No fault of his own but now he is the "replacement." If Stamkos wasn't so beloved and if he had wanted a change in scenery, be completely different.

Every single postseason interview by a player or coach said signing Stamkos was important to them.

Clear now the reality was they were telling the truth and BriseBois wasn't.

This team still has major holes in the lineup and now what? Who is going to fill those spots? We've gone sideways with a huge unknown in how Guentzel integrates into the line up, still without a complete top 6.

Congratulations, BriseBois. You've adversely impacted the team dynamic, pissed off the fanbase, and still managed to not address glaring deficiencies on the roster.

Now I need some meditation exercises to lower the blood pressure.

But no statue for you, BriseBois. (But you know those players won't trust a word out of this guy's mouth going forward).
This feels so differently than the last days with Vinny.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Stamkos leaves the Lightning as the franchise leader in the following categories:

Games played
Stamkos 1082
Hedman 1052
Lecavalier 1037

Goals
Stamkos 555
Lecavalier 383
St. Louis 365

St. Louis 953
Lecavalier 874

Even strength goals
Stamkos 336
Lecavalier 258
St. Louis 241

Power play goals
Stamkos 214
Lecavalier 112
St. Louis 96

Game winning goals
Stamkos 85
St. Louis 64
Lecavalier 60

Overtime goals
Stamkos 13
Point 10
St. Louis 10

Even strength assists
Stamkos 371
St. Louis 368
Hedman 331

Even strength points
Stamkos 707
St. Louis 609
Kucherov 555

Power play points
Stamkos 422
Kucherov 318
St. Louis 300

Hits :huh:
Stamkos 1173
Hedman 1132
Palat 1083

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
This is like if Detroit had jettisoned Yzerman.

16 years and this is how he gets treated in the end. Seeing him in another uniform is a disgusting thought.

He was still a useful, good player, and would have worked with Tampa if BriseBois had ever tried.

There is no way in this scenario that BriseBois handled this "negotiation" in good faith.

I hope BriseBois gets major heat from the media.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
IDK... I never had that love for Stamkos that a lot of you had. He never brought it in the playoffs when we needed it, and it's something that always hung over him. We won our first Cup of his era without him, and the second one he was maybe our 7th best player.

Don't get me wrong - it's going to be weird. If Hedman left? I'm pissed. Stamkos? Eh.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Kinda knew it was coming but this still sucks. Stammer is such a good and likable guy. He has done and accomplished so much for this team. All the best to him! One more reason to root for Nashville in the West I guess.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's a sad day for myself and the Lightning to see him go. Wish they were able to work something out. It will be really weird seeing him in another jersey. I'm happy it's not the Leafs or Boston maybe the bright side of this.. Hopefully we are able to keep up the winning culture and all with him gone. Wish him and his family well in Nashville! He deserves it!

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I haven't posted much about this whole situation. I was trying to let it play out, and now I'm still trying to process it. I was ready to lose Stammer. It almost happened the last time, so I was more prepared this time. We knew it was going to be tough. In my head it wasn't going to be for a lack of trying on either parties part, the numbers just weren't going to work or something. And if that was that, then what can you do? I was ready to make peace with it as I have with losing other players who have been fan favorites or had been here a long time. But when Sergachev and Jeannot were moved, and the money was there, and JBB still didn't even attempt to do anything, I don't know. This leaves a terrible taste. Even if this was the eventual end result, it shouldn't have ended like this. :shakehead

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for everything Stammer, forever a legend!

Though I was more gutted when Vinny left, it's always tough when an icon leaves and I definitely feel for those who had him as your favourite player.

With that said, I guess I'm in a minority to think it was the right call not to sign him, given term and cap (even if it would've been less than Preds paid). Making decisions based on nostalgia is always risky.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Guentzel ES goals last year: 25
Stamkos ES goals last year: 21

He's suchhhhh a powerplay merchant. -21, yet he played alongside elite Selke center Cirelli. +24 two seasons ago, though? Three straight +20 goal seasons at ES.

This was such a limp dick flub by Brisebois. I already had worries about chemistry with losing Serg, but this compounds it. What a lousy FA day.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Thank You Stamkos!!!! What a great ambassador for organization and you will be dearly missed in our household and others. This one stings, and makes one angry to tel ya the truth! Can only imagine what Stamkos is going through, but hope he and family find peace through this.....

BriseBois has gone to far this time: After freeing up money with trades, there was no good reason to not bring back Stamkos back at that price. Especially with cap going up again next yr, and so on. We understood salary cap situation caused tough choices last few years. Lightning's GM also had a choice to treat existing players with dignity but choose wrong path. Now with Stamkos disrespected like this, and GM is reason to why Stamkos is gone now. That was last straw for us, and even though it breaks our household hearts, we're leaning towards giving up Lightning until JBB is gone. Would of rather seen Lightning do a rebuild, and have kept whoever wanted to stay during all that. Than watch this sh!tshow BriseBois has put on these last 2-3 years. Lightning had just come off 6 ECF's. 4 SCF's, and 2 "Cups". Now in a very a short-time, JBB has sold this organizations soul, divided lockeroom, ruined this team reputation of being good to players, and mortgaged Lightning future for just another chance? All this has pride before the fall written all over it. Maybe JBB is hung-up on being under Yzerman's shadow. So much so, that's he's hellbent on erasing as many Yzerman's reign fingerprints as he can. Who fringing knows, but JBB can kick rocks after this off-season.

Last edited:

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
We should all appreciate Stamkos and possibly have some problems with JBBs handling of the situation but some of the sappy gushing and concurrent outrage is embarrassing. In the salary cap era it is virtually impossible for a player to stay with one team for his entire career if he wants to get paid, that just the way it is. Lets be thankful for the great player, person and captain he was but recognize the reality of the situation.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
We should all appreciate Stamkos and possibly have some problems with JBBs handling of the situation but some of the sappy gushing and outrage is embarrassing. In the salary cap era it is virtually impossible for a player to stay with one team for his entire career if he wants to get paid, that just the way it is. Lets be thankful for the great player, person and captain he was but recognize the reality of the situation.
Sappy gushing and outrage is embarassing if the player was Paquette, Palat, Killorn, Perry, McD, Gourde, etc that were fan favorites. Those guys had legitimate reasons to exit at the time and even if some argue we should've kept Gourde or McD over someone, their impact, legacy, and current level of play weren't even close to Stamkos.

Respectfully, yet not respectfully for your virtue signaling, f*** off with that. Stamkos is still a top 6 player and there's no indication to think he wouldn't be for another 2 years and play top 9 + PP for the duration of a five year contract. Our arrogant ass GM offered 3M in magic beans, while he signed Jeannot to 2.6M, Sheary to 2M, Cirelli to 6.25M, Sergachev to 8.5M and essentially cried about lack of cap space for months and waiting to evaluate, all while having the motive to never resign him. We had 16.5M in cap space and we told a guy that's been here for 16 years, our captain, a CURRENT 40 goal scorer with 4 ES goals less than 9M Guenztel nah, we're good.

The chemistry in that locker room has to be rocked right now. To the point where petulant little child Kucherov wouldn't surprise me with a trade request after another 1st round exit.

So in case you missed it earlier when you called us sappy and embarrassing, f*** off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad