Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
the oilers added two defensively suspect top six or bust players so your top six just got leakier (and more injury prone). your overall lineup lost two skaters to make room for them and became correspondingly softer. your game plan just changed to accommodate them and make best use of their skills and so you suddenly became more interested in set plays and breakaways and correspondingly less interested in board cycle work. you likely move hyman away from mcd and reduce his minutes since i think it is unlikely you run an rnh/skinner/arvidsson line and i don't think you have a third line option either of the new guys can play on except as ghosts. i also think these guys do not move the needle on the pipe dream of not having mcdrai together. finally, kane just became officially a third line player playing third line minutes and situations.

and yes you will miss foegele although the grit part alone would not be hard to infill. he's an interesting player.
If you’re suggesting that the Oilers got worse by replacing Foegele with Arvidsson and Skinner, while simultaneously ignoring the third line of Janmark, Henrique and Brown (all signed to decent deals) who were pivotal for the playoffs, then you’re out to lunch.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
the oilers added two defensively suspect top six or bust players so your top six just got leakier (and more injury prone). your overall lineup lost two skaters to make room for them and became correspondingly softer. your game plan just changed to accommodate them and make best use of their skills and so you suddenly became more interested in set plays and breakaways and correspondingly less interested in board cycle work. you likely move hyman away from mcd and reduce his minutes since i think it is unlikely you run an rnh/skinner/arvidsson line and i don't think you have a third line option either of the new guys can play on except as ghosts. i also think these guys do not move the needle on the pipe dream of not having mcdrai together. finally, kane just became officially a third line player playing third line minutes and situations.

and yes you will miss foegele although the grit part alone would not be hard to infill. he's an interesting player
There's honestly so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to begin.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
The Canucks roster is far better than what they had to start the year last season.
I disagree. Your defence is worse and your forward group has moved laterally.

Let’s assume your forwards improved slightly. Your team has still gotten worse, just on account of what you’ve lost defensively.

A healthy Demko can hopefully make up some of the difference for you, but this Canucks team is far less intimidating for opponents.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I disagree. Your defence is worse and your forward group has moved laterally.

Let’s assume your forwards improved slightly. Your team has still gotten worse, just on account of what you’ve lost defensively.

A healthy Demko can hopefully make up some of the difference for you, but this Canucks team is far less intimidating for opponents.
What did we lose defensively from the start of the year last year? Only Ian Cole, who was one of the Oilers top goal scorers in the second round. We replaced Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Lafferty with Debrusk, Heinen and Sherwood, that is a pretty solid improvement in terms of 200 ft game, grit and toughness.
Still enough money to add a top 4 D or top 6 winger. Not worried at all.

They still need a PMD I think but that is dependant on what they do with the top pair……
Understood, but that will come for sure. There is no way that Allvin is done with this roster. He may not make many big moves before the season so that we can accrue LTIR, but he has flexibility to still add.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Come on man, it's absolutely not, Debrusk isn't some superstar player that's going to blossom here, he is what he is.
He is a far better all around player than and of Mikheyev, Kuzmenko or Lafferty. I'm not saying he is going to be a superstar, but he is certainly going to help our top 6 far more than the guys we lost from the start of last year.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
What did we lose defensively from the start of the year last year? Only Ian Cole, who was one of the Oilers top goal scorers in the second round. We replaced Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Lafferty with Debrusk, Heinen and Sherwood, that is a pretty solid improvement in terms of 200 ft game, grit and toughness.
Still enough money to add a top 4 D or top 6 winger. Not worried at all.
Sure, you can argue improvement from the start of the previous year, but I think it’s still a worse roster than you iced for the playoffs. I’m not as familiar with your cap situation, but some teams out there have retained the talent they made playoff runs with.

With most of the key FA’s taken up, that means you’re moving out assets to fill any notable gaps this summer. In turn, that takes away capital to improve the team at the deadline. Lots of time to add to the roster, but so far it’s looking rough.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

and yes you will miss foegele although the grit part alone would not be hard to infill. he's an interesting player.
This is ridiculous, as others have pointed out. Adding Arvidsson alone is a big upgrade on Foegele, plus we landed Jeff Skinner, who isn't a perfect player, but has always produced when played with other good players. His issue in Buffalo isn't that he wasn't good, it's that he was paid to be a superstar who could put the team on his back. In Edmonton, he has to score goals, probably with Draisaitl feeding him the puck. Your line predictions are out to lunch as well, Nuge-Skinner-Arvidsson won't be our third line. We're probably looking at Nuge - McDavid - Hyman and Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson in the top six. Janmark - Henrique - Brown will stay together, and our fourth line right now is Holloway - McLeod - Perry/Ryan. I wouldn't be shocked if McLeod finds his way into a trade later this summer to make way for a centre more suited to 4th line duties as well.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
And far worse than what they had at the end of the season. Debrusk is a fine complimentary piece, but he's no Lindholm, and while Zadorov got overpaid by Boston, the Canucks are going to miss him on the blueline.
Of course, that is the case with most teams that buy rentals in season. We will do the exact same in season this year as well.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If you’re suggesting that the Oilers got worse by replacing Foegele with Arvidsson and Skinner, while simultaneously ignoring the third line of Janmark, Henrique and Brown (all signed to decent deals) who were pivotal for the playoffs, then you’re out to lunch.
so if i strawman strawman strawman your strawman then i am wrong? but you have no response to what i actually said?

great insightful post. and overall quality shitposting by oilers fans today. glad to see they continue to see the canucks as their principal dreamcrusher threat as they have since game one last season. shows we are still over the target.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Of course, that is the case with most teams that buy rentals in season. We will do the exact same in season this year as well.
You guys did great mid-season last year, I tip my hat to your management for the work they did in that regard. It isn't easy to find those kind of deals in the middle of the season though. I wouldn't sit back and just assume that Lindholm and Zadorov level of players become available, especially at the price you paid for Zadorov.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Sure, you can argue improvement from the start of the previous year, but I think it’s still a worse roster than you iced for the playoffs. I’m not as familiar with your cap situation, but some teams out there have retained the talent they made playoff runs with.

With most of the key FA’s taken up, that means you’re moving out assets to fill any notable gaps this summer. In turn, that takes away capital to improve the team at the deadline. Lots of time to add to the roster, but so far it’s looking rough.
I agree, but what you are saying is really just common sense. We have lots of time to add a PMD for our second pair before anything matters, and we have the cap and resources to do it. Allvin has been by far the most active GM in the NHL since he took over, this team is far from what it will look like at xmas.

Nashville aside, most of the West is down from last year.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
so if i strawman strawman strawman your strawman then i am wrong? but you have no response to what i actually said?

great insightful post. and overall quality shitposting by oilers fans today. glad to see they continue to see the canucks as their principal dreamcrusher threat as they have since game one last season. shows we are still over the target.
If you read your original post with the same criticism, you would be absolutely embarrassed.

All of the posts in here are conducive hockey talk on how different people see the signing and the team. Nobody got all emotional and sad boy about it until you did right now.

Grow up and go back to the hockey talk. As you can tell, everyone views the Canucks with much less “principal dreamcrusher threat” than they did previously.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is ridiculous, as others have pointed out. Adding Arvidsson alone is a big upgrade on Foegele, plus we landed Jeff Skinner, who isn't a perfect player, but has always produced when played with other good players. His issue in Buffalo isn't that he wasn't good, it's that he was paid to be a superstar who could put the team on his back. In Edmonton, he has to score goals, probably with Draisaitl feeding him the puck. Your line predictions are out to lunch as well, Nuge-Skinner-Arvidsson won't be our third line. We're probably looking at Nuge - McDavid - Hyman and Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson in the top six. Janmark - Henrique - Brown will stay together, and our fourth line right now is Holloway - McLeod - Perry/Ryan. I wouldn't be shocked if McLeod finds his way into a trade later this summer to make way for a centre more suited to 4th line duties as well.

if you read more carefully you will see i do not say you got softer because of foegele. i never even mentioned foegele except to say you actually can replace his grit when skolman brought him up. it's you guys with the goofy math that think arviddson - foegele is some kind of relevant equation.

what i am saying is that arviddson and skinner will play top six minutes and result in two more physical players sitting down because you can only dress 12 forwards and all your forwards are gritter than those guys. they will also change the way your top six plays. and all of that makes you softer for a lot more minutes than foegele ever played

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG and Skolman

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
You guys did great mid-season last year, I tip my hat to your management for the work they did in that regard. It isn't easy to find those kind of deals in the middle of the season though. I wouldn't sit back and just assume that Lindholm and Zadorov level of players become available, especially at the price you paid for Zadorov.

Given Allvins track record, I'm not concerned with him sitting back at all.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
All this discussion about whether the Canucks are better or worse than the beginning of last year, or end of last year.

Canucks have added guys who are all Tocchet type players. That's the strategy behind all of this. Is Debrusk more talented than Kuzmenko or Lindholm? No. But he plays exactly into Tocchet's system, north/south, speed, 200 ft game. Heinen, Sherwood fit the same mold. We're all in on Rick.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
if you read more carefully you will see i do not say you got softer because of foegele. i never even mentioned foegele except to say you actually can replace his grit when skolman brought him up. it's you guys with the goofy math that think arviddson - foegele is some kind of relevant equation.

what i am saying is that arviddson and skinner will play top six minutes and result in two more physical players sitting down because you can only dress 12 forwards and all your forwards are gritter than those guys. they will also change the way your top six plays. and all of that makes you softer for a lot more minutes than foegele ever played
So you are suggesting that our team toughness has decreased, when Skinner and Arvidsson are likely taking the spots of Foegele and Ryan McLeod? I don't see a big change in grit there. Will this supposed change in toughness cost us more than the 40 (estimated) more goals that we just added to our lineup? That's a theory indeed. Especially when it means likely pushing Ryan McLeod to the fourth line.

Reactions: PuckG

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
All this discussion about whether the Canucks are better or worse than the beginning of last year, or end of last year.

Canucks have added guys who are all Tocchet type players. That's the strategy behind all of this. Is Debrusk more talented than Kuzmenko or Lindholm? No. But he plays exactly into Tocchet's system, north/south, speed, 200 ft game. Heinen, Sherwood fit the same mold. We're all in on Rick.
Yep. These are not the Quinn Hughes Canucks, or the Elias Pettersson Canucks. They're the Rick Tocchet Canucks. Guarantee they'll be shipping guys who don't fit the mold out during the season/at the deadline.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Given Allvins track record, I'm not concerned with him sitting back at all.
i don't think we'll be nearly as aggressive during this season. last year we needed to get over a hump to being a respectable team so we spent serious assets on rentals. i think this year they will spend the assets more carefully on longer term adds.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

Strawman, strawman, strawman.

You can extrapolate moronic arguments but no one else can?

You also believe the Oilers are going to change stylistically to accommodate their two new complimentary wingers as opposed to their two top 5 players that the offence revolves around?

They’re not even guaranteed to play in the top 6 with the current depth the Oilers have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad