Player Discussion: The Official Steven Stamkos Appreciation Thread

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
No, you clearly don't get it. Short of him staying, there was no good way for this to happen. And as I posted earlier, if you all want pile on JBB, then you have to pile on Vinik as well and anyone willing to go there is an ingrate.

Bunch of selfish children who want to have their cake and eat it too.
If Vinik signed off on handling Stamkos like this, then yes, can criticize.

You don't treat a guy who has been an explemary employee and fan favorite of 16 years and then close the door on his face. You sit him down and explain why there needs to be a parting of ways if that is management's stance (although how that is a necessity is not clear unless he wouldn't back off an 8 year long deal, but there's zero indication he was demanding anything of the sort).

Vinik wants a world-class organization, then by his definition, this maneuver was anything but. This was bush league and damaging to the reputation of the brand.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I'm bitter as hell. I never really bought into the Hype. I looked at JBB like I looked at Gruden. Dungy/Yzerman built the foundation of the team, then they get all of the credit.

Funny because we could of done both. We could signed Guentzel and Stamkos ( I do believe the rumor of that he would of taken between 4 to 5 to sign.) and if he would of done that......our top 6 would of been fantastic. Instead......

I can't keep typing on this, I'm going to post what I did on the lightning facebook page as I think it sums it up nicely.

"Lack of class shown by this organization. When Vinik bought the team his mission statement was to make this a first class organization. Well, whether we kept Stamkos or not, the way we treated him was Bush league at best. Disgusting."

For the first time in ever....I'm feeling disgusted by the actions of the Lightnings front office. Something I couldn't even say during the days of OK hockey....I just feel.....gross.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
No, you clearly don't get it. Short of him staying, there was no good way for this to happen. And as I posted earlier, if you all want pile on JBB, then you have to pile on Vinik as well and anyone willing to go there is an ingrate.

Bunch of selfish children who want to have their cake and eat it too.
Again, nothing but respect to Vinik for building and running the organization apart from all the other things he's done for the community and area. I fully understand that ruthless decisions need to be taken at times but if you really think this was the only way to handle this, sounds like Stamkos and many others disagree with you. Even the best of us make mistakes.

Bunch of know-it-alls who only want the cake if it's free.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Again, nothing but respect to Vinik for building and running the organization apart from all the other things he's done for the community and area. I fully understand that ruthless decisions need to be taken at times but if you really think this was the only way to handle this, sounds like Stamkos and many others disagree with you. Even the best of us make mistakes.

Exactly. There are two exceptions any of this should've happened to and it's him and Hedman. I'd feel the same exact way if it was Victor. These two gave us something to cheer for during the tail end of crap management and deserved to be lifers. Only these two. Stamkos changed and shaped a culture here. Brisebois has been changing that dynamic and then once again wants him to take less. Factor in him asking Stamkos to waive the NTC years ago, it's obvious he's not been a fan for quite some time.

If stamkos came off a 25/25 season and was wanting 6M, I'd say yeah it'd a business and we could do better. The rumor is 4-5M with that term and that's nearly what he got.with Nashville in the end. Brisebois (and let's throw in Vinik if he okay'd it) said you're worth 3M to us and even after making 8.5M in cap space, nothing changes that. That's f***ed up. He didn't suddenly forget how to play. He was our best player vs Florida and brought it against Colorado.

All the clowns saying "BuT GuEnTzEl Is YoUnGeR" are missing the point - we had room for both. This was avoidable. Not to mention we went younger with Sergachev over McDonagh and how did that work out?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Here's a little blast from the past I was able to find today in my closet. I even kept the envelope and the ticket pricing sheet which seems silly. I think part of 2008 me was like 'let's hold onto all of this in case this kid becomes something,' but also it was just cool to receive mail from the Lightning. I still have the braclet somewhere but the Seen Stamkos part wore off long long ago.

cDo9iWY.png

Last edited:

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
My take is similar to most. I hate to see Stamkos go. I really do. However, I also trust the group in the front office that's built this dynasty. Does it suck that the Bolts didn't up the offer to keep Stamkos? Sure, but at the same time, Stammer made the choice to go after more money. I don't blame him and am not angry at him for it. I am also not angry at management for not offering him more money.

They are, after all, the only ones that know their long range plans and vision. They also know what they can and cannot do in order to realize those plans and visions.

Right now the pain is raw and emotions are high. A lot of tears will flow when that tribute video plays. But at the end of the day, Stammer actively made the choice to leave and go get more money. It's not like he was waived or traded away. It's also not like $3 Million per year is dog food either. Again, I don't blame him for making the choice to get more money. I likely would have made the same decision. But make no mistake about it. It was a choice. It was his choice and he made it.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
My take is similar to most. I hate to see Stamkos go. I really do. However, I also trust the group in the front office that's built this dynasty. Does it suck that the Bolts didn't up the offer to keep Stamkos? Sure, but at the same time, Stammer made the choice to go after more money. I don't blame him and am not angry at him for it. I am also not angry at management for not offering him more money.

They are, after all, the only ones that know their long range plans and vision. They also know what they can and cannot do in order to realize those plans and visions.

Right now the pain is raw and emotions are high. A lot of tears will flow when that tribute video plays. But at the end of the day, Stammer actively made the choice to leave and go get more money. It's not like he was waived or traded away. It's also not like $3 Million per year is dog food either. Again, I don't blame him for making the choice to get more money. I likely would have made the same decision. But make no mistake about it. It was a choice. It was his choice and he made it.
If your employer offered you 37.5% of your worth, 50% of your coworkers whose production you match and exceed by 200-300%, how much of a "choice" is that?

3M isn't dog food to us, but you're talking a whole different ball game between us and professional athletes.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL

No, you don't understand or your talking out of both sides of your mouth. So please, tell us all how this comes out with a happy ending if Stammer is not on the Lightning? Stammer is hurt and it is 100% understandable, but not you and not another person here has a clue as to what went on on the inside. I don't either, but I have watched how this organization operated under this man and I do not believe for one minute that Vinik would allow JBB to have just said, "f*** you Stammer, see you later" which seems to be the general understanding as to how it all came down from most of the know-it-alls here.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
If your employer offered you 37.5% of your worth, 50% of your coworkers whose production you match and exceed by 200-300%, how much of a "choice" is that?

3M isn't dog food to us, but you're talking a whole different ball game between us and professional athletes.

Yeah in reality this would be working at a factory making 20 dollars an hour. Your leading the floor, acting as a manager and while keeping everything running smoothly as possible. The staff that works with you loves you, the people that work under you loves you. Your always among the highest for personal production. Yet when it comes to your annual renewal you find out guys that half ass it daily are getting 30 dollars an hour, you request a raise to 25 to keep on working there and they tell you to piss off.

So Naturally your going to leave. That's pretty much what happened to Stamkos.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com

I understand the anger and frustration. I do. I get it. I just don't think it's fair to put all of this on the organization. I didn't say that he should have considered their offer fair. But an offer was made and HE chose to not accept it. Which is well within his right to do.

This relationship between the Lightning and Stammer was mutually a very beneficial relationship for a long time. Stammer made a lot of money during his career with the Bolts. At the same time, Stammer did not always chase a big payday either. He took a lot less than he could have in order to stay in Tampa throughout his career, but don't think it was just out of pure loyalty to the team either.

He loved living here, loved the community. He had the minimal no state tax benefit. He got security of having a full no move clause and he was paid well, even if it wasn't the max of what it could have been on the open market. But let's not act like he was just giving charity to the Lightning by sticking around. The relationship was mutually beneficial.

Again, I didn't say I liked the offer and feel Stamkos SHOULD have taken it. I am simply saying he made the choice. He wasn't shipped out without any say so. That makes a difference.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Yeah in reality this would be working at a factory making 20 dollars an hour. Your leading the floor, acting as a manager and while keeping everything running smoothly as possible. The staff that works with you loves you, the people that work under you loves you. Your always among the highest for personal production. Yet when it comes to your annual renewal you find out guys that half ass it daily are getting 30 dollars an hour, you request a raise to 25 to keep on working there and they tell you to piss off.

That's not really a good analogy. His level of play IS GOING TO decrease. Father time is undefeated.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL

The arguments being made here are genuinely laughable. Is there a salary cap at the factory? And please identify those "employees" on this roster that are half-assing it daily that are being paid what Stamkos would have almost certainly turned down as an insulting low ball, but more than that, where are you going to send those half-assing employees who are under contract in order to find the money to pay Stamkos? Other teams don't want half-assers on their team either.

Oh wait, if JBB, or any GM, was just smarter, but also genuinely kind and understanding, they could have everything they want at every position and do it within the cap.

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
Taking emotion out of it he was the captain of a team that underperformed for two seasons. Honestly as good as a coach as Coop is he also needs to figure something out or they are going to be looking for a new voice.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
The arguments being made here are genuinely laughable. Is there a salary cap at the factory? And please identify those "employees" on this roster that are half-assing it daily that are being paid what Stamkos would have almost certainly turned down as an insulting low ball, but more than that, where are you going to send those half-assing employees who are under contract in order to find the money to pay Stamkos? Other teams don't want half-assers on their team either.

Oh wait, if JBB, or any GM, was just smarter, but also genuinely kind and understanding, they could have everything they want at every position and do it within the cap.

Attachments

• IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com

Julien?? LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad