Zayne Parekh vs Zeev Buium

Who is or will end up the better player?

• Total voters

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Buium fell because he’s a flight risk. Pretty obvious

Because he will probably only spend 1 more season at Denver before he is NHL-ready, I don't expect him to be a flight risk. I could be wrong, but the flight risks are usually those that stay in college for their D+3 season, that are the ones to be careful of.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think it is incredibly difficult to compare these players because they play at different levels, and with very different teammates. It's not a big surprise to notice that Buium plays a more structured game, when he's played with a whole bunch of drafted 20 y/os.

For me the WJC is what tips the scales for Buium. He killed it. I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Quinn Hughes (it was evident to the eye during his draft year that Hughes had amazing feet), but like Hughes, he should have been picked 4-5 slots earlier. (Hughes should have been picked either 2nd or 3rd overall, and I'd have taken Buium no later than 7th).

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Can’t really speak to Parekh. The knock on Buium was always going to be can he play his style at the NHL level since he’s not big (not saying he’s small) and not an elite skater. I think that’s why he wasn’t top guy after Celebrini.

That said I didn’t want to like Buium this year. Not my style of D. But he blew me away every single game. I think he’s going to be a stud, maybe a star.
I’m sure Spurgeon, Faber, and Brodin can give him a couple tips if needed.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Evan Bouchard?
Ryan Ellis comes to mind. Bouchard's scoring is more in line with, say, Matt Finn or Stuart Percy. Suffice to say, junior scoring isn't a reliable predictor for many players at the NHL level. Yet, e.g., Brian Rafalski's NCAA output is similar to Buium's and possibly a better point of comparison.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I’m sure Spurgeon, Faber, and Brodin can give him a couple tips if needed.
I think his overall game translating to the NHL is a valid concern, and I'm not sure minimizing it by saying that a few pieces of advice will completely negate that concern is equally valid. If his game doesn't translate to the NHL, no amount of advice is going to save him. I say this as a guy who rated Buium 4th overall before the draft.

This is a valid concern for all players to one degree or another, and I think it's even more valid for Parekh, which is why I had him rated lower than Buium. I do think Parekh's upside is higher, though. This makes it very hard for me to vote for either one in this poll.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Because he will probably only spend 1 more season at Denver before he is NHL-ready, I don't expect him to be a flight risk. I could be wrong, but the flight risks are usually those that stay in college for their D+3 season, that are the ones to be careful of.

He’s a flight risk for any Canadian team.

There’s enough history of Americans, specifically NcAA players, going back to the states as fast as they’re able.

Calgary and Ottawa aren’t going to waste high picks on players they don’t think they’ll be able to keep for 10-15 years.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and Mitts

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
The knock on Karlsson is his defensive game and size. While he is very cool and confident in the offensive zone, he sometimes chooses difficult solutions in the defensive end. He should play easier and be closer on his opponent. While he Karlsson likely will not be much taller, he should definitely add more strength and muscles. The fact that Karlsson likes to get involved physically and can deliver rather good hits is a big plus. With added strength, his physical play would be much more effective.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/38731-erik-karlssona-look-at-the-sens-no1-pick

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Buium was the better player when Calgary came to pick.
But we clearly couldn't pick the guy.

We're probably 2-3 years away from being able to start making our decision here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad