The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think TSN has noticed, as this board has shown, no one is listening at the moment so they have rolled out multiple contests. Maybe they should focus more on their on air talent. Did anyone want to listen to Lee Versage and Bruce Garrioch, didn't even turn it on once I heard who the hosts were.

Its the summer, they have a reduced show load, hosts go on vacation. Things get switched up.

Same things they have always done.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If you have a subscription you can listen to it online. I believe there is even an app for the cell phone, just make sure you are in a wifi area if you want to use it or you will end up with one of those horror story cell phone bills.

Agreed. I am on a 14 day free trial and may pay the $4 per month fee if I use it enough in the house on my iPad or PC. I don't feel the need for a cellphone as I am at home most of the time. :)

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I think TSN has noticed, as this board has shown, no one is listening at the moment so they have rolled out multiple contests. Maybe they should focus more on their on air talent. Did anyone want to listen to Lee Versage and Bruce Garrioch, didn't even turn it on once I heard who the hosts were.

For me the worst was on a Friday morning segment Steve was basically like: "Well Shawn it was nice having you, see you around." I vainly hoped that Simmer would be taking a long vacation or something, but no, he was just on another time slot.

I honestly haven't listened to the station for more than 30 seconds (tune in, see who is on then tune out) lately and it's not just because of summertime. I'm tired of most of the hosts so I webhunt for NHL or Premier League or so on talk.

Pierre is very annoying and a borderline narcissist, but he's still very knowledgable on anything hockey related

Except when he goes snarky about advanced stats, especially since the stats show everything that he's droning on about. "Advanced stats don't show clutch plays". Well actually Pierre, all a clutch play does is show a player gaining the puck, holding onto it then scoring a goal, so it's basically a shot attempt.

But this is a deeper problem than just Pierre McGuire, it's a media issue at large in that they want to/need to create a narrative (which is yawn-inducing) instead of data points (which are hot hot hot).

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
But this is a deeper problem than just Pierre McGuire, it's a media issue at large in that they want to/need to create a narrative (which is yawn-inducing) instead of data points (which are hot hot hot).

It is true that the established media will stick to the conventional method(s) of evaluating players and teams -- or at least it certainly was true in baseball back in the 90's -- and the reason is obvious: they are positioned as "experts", so therefore their subjective analysis hold considerable weight and therefore justifies their salary. If you give assign more weight to advanced stats, then their reason to exist becomes lessened.

But -- I gotta disagree with you on the narrative vs. data points. It is the latter that is yawn inducing.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Simmer

Does Simmer do work for other TSN\Bellmedia affiliates in Montreal and\or Toronto? I read somewhere that he splits his time between Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal? Wondered if he does some shows via call in line Jungle use to from Edmonton?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
What would we all have done without the wall to wall coverage of Brandon MacDonalds release yesterday??

Not sure any major NFL market would have all day coverage of a DB's release.

Thankfully we have TSN1200 :)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
What would we all have done without the wall to wall coverage of Brandon MacDonalds release yesterday??

People complain about a lack of diverse sports coverage.

Radio proceeds to cover a significant local football story: people complain.

Sigh.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
People complain about a lack of diverse sports coverage.

Radio proceeds to cover a significant local football story: people complain.

Sigh.

This thread is basically this.

giphy.gif

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Nah, they cover some maybe somewhat deflated footballs over the course of 6 months instead.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Does Simmer do work for other TSN\Bellmedia affiliates in Montreal and\or Toronto? I read somewhere that he splits his time between Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal? Wondered if he does some shows via call in line Jungle use to from Edmonton?

I've heard him interviewed on Montreal radio but only very occasionally. I've never heard him actually co-host or host a show, so the answer is 'no' for Montreal. Can't say about Toronto.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013
Ian with Lee right now, Bickertons/Bickersons going strong about iPod music. So hot. Could listen to this forever.

Ditto. I heard that on my drive home, and it was far more interesting - and more importantly - entertaining, than anything I have heard on the station in three years. But I am in the minority who listens for the off the rails talk and not the sports talk.

Speaking of off the rails, does anyone know if the old TGOR podcasts from before May 11, 2009 are still accessible somehow online? I already have everything that date to February 2012, but I am almost done listening to all of it, and would like to listen to the earlier stuff. I actually like childish humour and fun bits they used to do. I'm not that interested in listening to three non-athletes talk about sports, but I am interested in the other things they talk about or do.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
And.....the brutality is back.

In your opinion. A lot of people are glad the regular format has returned.

Im happy to be able to tune into local content throughout the work day instead of being force fed that god awful american content.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
In your opinion. A lot of people are glad the regular format has returned.

Im happy to be able to tune into local content throughout the work day instead of being force fed that god awful american content.
I am too don't get me wrong. Simmer's insight is what I was referring to.

The Dan Patrick show was good for the summer.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
It's all about the NHL Network on XM... once you go, you'll never go back. I also have yet to pay full price for a subscription, usually 1/2 price (or $7.50/ month). Worth it.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
HAHAHA!

YES! Reason#121 why I like Mendes

You love him because he cherry picks exaggerated posts once a month to somehow convince himself that there isn't serious problems at the radio station?

There's is tons of legitimate critical posts in here that address and offer solutions for a variety of problems that multiple people have noticed.

Weird that I never see him post those ones on twitter...

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You know what, I enjoyed the DP show too. It was good morning listening.
It's nice to hear behind the scenes stories about different things, quality interviews, and people who are truly devoted to covering sports. DP isn't wall to wall sports but there is sure enough to keep everyone interested.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013
You love him because he cherry picks exaggerated posts once a month to somehow convince himself that there isn't serious problems at the radio station?

There's is tons of legitimate critical posts in here that address and offer solutions for a variety of problems that multiple people have noticed.

Weird that I never see him post those ones on twitter...

But are there serious problems? As long as their ratings stay level, there really isn't a major problem. You not liking something, or a bunch of nortons on here not liking something doesn't mean there are serious problems. I don't like the corporate bastardization of the station and how the change to being TSN Radio removed any personality the station itself had. But that's just me. That doesn't mean there is a problem with the station. It just means I don't like what they have done. Only their ratings reveal serious problems, not people on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad