The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
But are there serious problems? As long as their ratings stay level, there really isn't a major problem. You not liking something, or a bunch of nortons on here not liking something doesn't mean there are serious problems. I don't like the corporate bastardization of the station and how the change to being TSN Radio removed any personality the station itself had. But that's just me. That doesn't mean there is a problem with the station. It just means I don't like what they have done. Only their ratings reveal serious problems, not people on here.

Bingo. 5 or 6 people that like to complain constantly about local radio to the internet does not mean serious problems.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
You love him because he cherry picks exaggerated posts once a month to somehow convince himself that there isn't serious problems at the radio station?

There's is tons of legitimate critical posts in here that address and offer solutions for a variety of problems that multiple people have noticed.

Weird that I never see him post those ones on twitter...

Ian Mendes ian_mendes said:
Ok "MiscBrah" - hit me up with your legit issues with our station. I appreciate constructive criticism.

CObR-0xUEAA_7Gl.jpg

Well, fire away.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Simpson laughs at his own jokes. Even the ones that aren't funny!!
He laughs at everything even when it's not funny. I just hate the fact that at least 25% of the show is dedicated to some bizzare remark that Simmer makes and Ian feels the need to dive deeper into a thought which literally took .001 seconds to come up with.

With Ian and Lee they go back and forth because they both have opinions on everything. They play catch very well.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013
With Ian and Lee they go back and forth because they both have opinions on everything. They play catch very well.

During the summer I actually paid attention to The Drive when Simmer wasn't on there. I though Ian and Lever Sage were great together, and whoever was with AJ Yakenbarf (I think that was Lever again). Simmer is a poor man's Jim Jerome, and while he laughs a lot, he doesn't have a laugh hat you want to hear. If he had Buzz's laugh, then it might be different, though he would still be laughing at his own comments.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

If Ian Mendes is REALLY a regular reader of this thread, I think he should prove it by karate chopping Don Brennan in the larynx the next time they're on the air together.

... I mean... he doesn't even really need to do it to prove it, I guess. Just do it anyways. I just want to hear Don Brennan getting surprise-chopped in his breathing tube, and this seems like as good an opportunity as any other.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
It's nice to hear behind the scenes stories about different things, quality interviews, and people who are truly devoted to covering sports. DP isn't wall to wall sports but there is sure enough to keep everyone interested.

I was driving home last night around 9:15ish, and that is now the timeslot that they are airing the Dan Patrick show. My drive was about 10 minutes long, and in that time DP breakdown was as follows:

7 minutes discussing the Rock & Roll HoF (whether Deep Purple should be in, whether Bon Jovi should be in, what groups who've sold 100M albums are not in, how did Green Day get in)

2 minutes discussing the Colbert debut show (how it actually took 3hrs to shoot, they had to cut a segment which involved Jeb Bush, ...)

1 minute discussing the Williams sisters match at the US Open. (Much of this was about how the match "felt weird" ... like maybe Venus didn't really want to beat her younger sister and end her grand slam attempt.)

They then moved into a discussion about whether siblings really want to beat each other or are rooting for each other to succeed.... not just athletes, but do all people compete with their siblings in their professional lives.

Not sure how long this went on as at this point I mercifully arrived home and turned them off.

Now, Mendes and Simpson also covered the Williams sisters angle during my drive home yesterday at 5:20ish, and I found their discussion more interesting than the DP show's.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Methot is co-hosting the drive right now, it's been great. Marc is a natural on the radio, I think he's got a future there when his playing days are done

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Methot is co-hosting the drive right now, it's been great. Marc is a natural on the radio, I think he's got a future there when his playing days are done

Agree, he has done it a few times and i enjoy listening to his inside stories and perspective! Didn't mind the summer coverage at all (outside DP which i found awful) but im looking forward to the season beginning so we can get back into the good stuff...i.e. NHL puck

otown

Sep 4, 2009

I would have to say it is some of the best programming I've heard on 1200!
Methot is as authentic as they come. Definitely has a career in this area if he should choose to pursue one after his hockey playing days are over.
Great idea whoever arranged this!

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I was driving home last night around 9:15ish, and that is now the timeslot that they are airing the Dan Patrick show. My drive was about 10 minutes long, and in that time DP breakdown was as follows:

7 minutes discussing the Rock & Roll HoF (whether Deep Purple should be in, whether Bon Jovi should be in, what groups who've sold 100M albums are not in, how did Green Day get in)

2 minutes discussing the Colbert debut show (how it actually took 3hrs to shoot, they had to cut a segment which involved Jeb Bush, ...)

1 minute discussing the Williams sisters match at the US Open. (Much of this was about how the match "felt weird" ... like maybe Venus didn't really want to beat her younger sister and end her grand slam attempt.)

They then moved into a discussion about whether siblings really want to beat each other or are rooting for each other to succeed.... not just athletes, but do all people compete with their siblings in their professional lives.

Not sure how long this went on as at this point I mercifully arrived home and turned them off.

Now, Mendes and Simpson also covered the Williams sisters angle during my drive home yesterday at 5:20ish, and I found their discussion more interesting than the DP show's.

I listened to The Dan Patrick show a lot this summer and found it a good mix of Sports, with some entertainment and politics thrown in. The Dog days of summer isn't just in Ottawa.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
So my self hiatus on the forums is nearing the end as hockey season is coming back. Two things:

1) I am loving Ian Mendes ripping into some of you. Some of you really take your 'constructive criticism' pretty far. Yeah, there are some things that I wish that the station would do differently but to me, the light-hearted nature of the hosts are what makes me enjoy it even more. I hate constant serious discussions. We're not always serious about everything in life. Yes, sometimes there's a limit where some of the hosts may go a bit over, but all and all, the station is leaps and bounds better than say, no station at all. I get along with each host very well myself and the fact that they actually respond to listener emails and tweets is a refreshing change compared to some bigger markets.

2) Marc Methot is by far becoming one my alltime favorite hockey players. The guy is just a really down to earth and easy going fella and he's got the gift of jibber jabber required for radio. The guy's just great all around and I'll firmly agree with some of you who said he has a career in radio post hockey. I surely hope it's here in Ottawa as he's from the region and he now has a solid rapport like Todd White does for playing here.

Keep ripping into some of these people who just keep whining Ian. I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I haven't really read too much of this thread, but here's my problem with the radio station as someone that doesn't live in Ottawa.

They aren't homer enough when defending the team against other teams in the league. Now you're probably scratching your head thinking I'm totally bonkers, but hear me out here:

--

I'm talking about calling for suspensions when players on other teams do something to injure players that play for the Ottawa Senators. The most recent example being Subban on Stone. If he did that to Gaudreau? The Fan 960 (Calgary sports radio station) would probably have every single show for the next two days talking about every single thing Subban has ever done wrong in his entire life, nit-picking stuff he did wrong as a 9 year old in an effort to try to get the guy suspended.

What did these local guys do? The called a bunch of national broadcast guys that need to appear impartial, and a Habs radio host that went full homer defending Subban. How much pressure do you think the league has to suspend the guy when there is no outrage anywhere?

But whatever, it was "only" a playoff series and Mark Stone wasn't permanently injured or anything. What I'll like to know it is why were was zero outrage from this station when Jesse Winchester pretty much had his NHL career ended by Paul Gaustad? There was no penalty called on the play when Gaustad hit him from behind head first into the boards. Jesse Winchester was a 4th line forward at the best of times, if the local sports radio station isn't going to defend him and stand up for him, there isn't anybody else that will. It's on the local radio station to raise a stink and DEFEND THE PLAYERS, or the league isn't going to care. He's not a star player, why would the league care to actually look at the play?

And don't even get me started on the Erik Karlsson incident. You want to know why players never seem to get suspended when they injure Ottawa Senators? Because the local radio station tried to appear "impartial" instead of whining and moaning and *****ing about it until the league is forced into doing something to look like they actually care about player safety. Until then, Sens players are going to continue to get injured while the perpetrators will continue to skate free without the consequences they would receive it they did the exact same thing to a Toronto Maple Leaf, or a Montreal Canadien. It's not about being impartial or fair or even correct. It's about defending your local team because no one else will, especially in a small city between two of the largest fanbases/markets in the NHL.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Look, Ian...

I might have been asking too much of you when I asked you to hit Don Brennan in the throat live on air. I will settle for you tripping him on the way to the booth, if you can do that for me, I'll consider us even.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I haven't really read too much of this thread, but here's my problem with the radio station as someone that doesn't live in Ottawa.

They aren't homer enough when defending the team against other teams in the league. Now you're probably scratching your head thinking I'm totally bonkers, but hear me out here:

--

I'm talking about calling for suspensions when players on other teams do something to injure players that play for the Ottawa Senators. The most recent example being Subban on Stone. If he did that to Gaudreau? The Fan 960 (Calgary sports radio station) would probably have every single show for the next two days talking about every single thing Subban has ever done wrong in his entire life, nit-picking stuff he did wrong as a 9 year old in an effort to try to get the guy suspended.

What did these local guys do? The called a bunch of national broadcast guys that need to appear impartial, and a Habs radio host that went full homer defending Subban. How much pressure do you think the league has to suspend the guy when there is no outrage anywhere?

But whatever, it was "only" a playoff series and Mark Stone wasn't permanently injured or anything. What I'll like to know it is why were was zero outrage from this station when Jesse Winchester pretty much had his NHL career ended by Paul Gaustad? There was no penalty called on the play when Gaustad hit him from behind head first into the boards. Jesse Winchester was a 4th line forward at the best of times, if the local sports radio station isn't going to defend him and stand up for him, there isn't anybody else that will. It's on the local radio station to raise a stink and DEFEND THE PLAYERS, or the league isn't going to care. He's not a star player, why would the league care to actually look at the play?

And don't even get me started on the Erik Karlsson incident. You want to know why players never seem to get suspended when they injure Ottawa Senators? Because the local radio station tried to appear "impartial" instead of whining and moaning and *****ing about it until the league is forced into doing something to look like they actually care about player safety. Until then, Sens players are going to continue to get injured while the perpetrators will continue to skate free without the consequences they would receive it they did the exact same thing to a Toronto Maple Leaf, or a Montreal Canadien. It's not about being impartial or fair or even correct. It's about defending your local team because no one else will, especially in a small city between two of the largest fanbases/markets in the NHL.

Agree with this a bit but it is a fine line to walk i would imagine. It was on full display recently in the playoffs when they did the simulcast with that absolute clown joker from Mtl....i felt our guys showed to much respect whilst there's came off as pretty entitled and ignorent. Rather have the polite/too-respectful guys pretty easily though if i had to choose one.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Being "too homer" works in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver but not in Ottawa. The big sports shows are produced and originate from those other cities. Many of the hosts on TSN1200 aren't primarily Sens fans anyway so why risk alienating future employers. ;)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So my self hiatus on the forums is nearing the end as hockey season is coming back. Two things:

1) I am loving Ian Mendes ripping into some of you. Some of you really take your 'constructive criticism' pretty far. Yeah, there are some things that I wish that the station would do differently but to me, the light-hearted nature of the hosts are what makes me enjoy it even more. I hate constant serious discussions. We're not always serious about everything in life. Yes, sometimes there's a limit where some of the hosts may go a bit over, but all and all, the station is leaps and bounds better than say, no station at all. I get along with each host very well myself and the fact that they actually respond to listener emails and tweets is a refreshing change compared to some bigger markets.

2) Marc Methot is by far becoming one my alltime favorite hockey players. The guy is just a really down to earth and easy going fella and he's got the gift of jibber jabber required for radio. The guy's just great all around and I'll firmly agree with some of you who said he has a career in radio post hockey. I surely hope it's here in Ottawa as he's from the region and he now has a solid rapport like Todd White does for playing here.

Keep ripping into some of these people who just keep whining Ian. I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

I have to disagree with #1. To me, it feels very insecure for one of these radio guys to post things from forums in order to get a couple of his followers to back him up. Obviously he can do what he wants....but it makes him look very 'small potatoes' by doing that.

If you let the negative nancys get under your skin, it usually means they have a legitimate point.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I have to disagree with #1. To me, it feels very insecure for one of these radio guys to post things from forums in order to get a couple of his followers to back him up. Obviously he can do what he wants....but it makes him look very 'small potatoes' by doing that.

If you let the negative nancys get under your skin, it usually means they have a legitimate point.

I'll agree to an extent. I just wish some of them actually made official accounts here so they directly interact with the fans. Twitter is fine but it's not as good as HFBoards. :bow:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'll agree to an extent. I just wish some of them actually made official accounts here so they directly interact with the fans. Twitter is fine but it's not as good as HFBoards. :bow:

It would be kinda nice if they had an official stickie at the top of the board for (constructive) suggestions and the like. Sort of like that one PR guy the Sens had for a short time that started up a suggestions thread.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Or perhaps they just find it amusing that people with no idea how the industry works think that *****ing about things to the internet is constructive criticism. Most of whats posted here, not all.

I find it funny, a professional in the business must find it hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad