The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Who said it was? Your comment makes no sense!!!

You were complaining that they don't talk about hockey 24/7 because "I have no interest" in baseball. Just because you don't have an interest in baseball, doesn't mean the rest of the listenership agrees with you.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Don Brennan is somehow more insufferable on the radio than he is in print.

I've only been back in Ottawa for like 3 weeks, and I already am forced to change the dial when Brennan is guest hosting with Mendes. It's un-listenable.

I once emailed some show Brenan was guest hosting on and asked why he seemed like such a nice guy on the radio but wrote such sensationalist nonsense in the paper. They read it on air and he told me to efff off.

Fun times.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
They read it on air and he told me to efff off.

So rather than defend his work, he instead decided to mock the accusor?

Yep. Sounds like something Brennan would do. I have zero doubts that happened. If you instead had told me that Brennan came to the defence of his "journalistic style" with a passionate and reasoned argument, THEN I would doubt your claims. As it stands, "Don Brennan resorting to 3rd grade insults to critics of his work" is possibly the most likely thing to happen in every alternate dimension that features Don Brennan in it.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
So nice to have Sirius XM. The NHL channel is very professional, especially Scott Laughlin. Not having to listen to stupid commercials is worth the money.

I haven't ever listened to Don Brennan on radio, as every time in the past he was coming up, I switched to another station. (pre-XM days)

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
You were complaining that they don't talk about hockey 24/7 because "I have no interest" in baseball. Just because you don't have an interest in baseball, doesn't mean the rest of the listenership agrees with you.

Looks like you may have misread and mixed things up. Where exactly did I complain , imply or even say anything about them having to talk hockey 24/7? I think you are mixing up my comment and another posters comment who was explaining to me what the caller(s) or writer(s) to TSN1200 might have said that got Ian Mendes so upset (and by the way, the reason for my original post).

When I said I turned off the radio because they were going to talk baseball you confused the two things and extrapolated it to mean that I feel they shouldn't talk about baseball on TSN1200. You jumped over the whole reason for my post and jumped to that conclusion based on me saying I have no interest in listening them talk about baseball.

When I don't like a tv show I switch the channel or turn it off and its the same for radio.

Based on the data available in my statements, logic should have taken you here:

freddy65 has no particular interest in hearing baseball discussed on radio. End of story. I doubt anybody else but me cares about what I like on radio. It's really not worthy of a comment. :)

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
If people didn't care, they wouldn't comment about it.

So feel proud Freddy, at least one person on Hfboards cares that you don't care for baseball.

Note, your "don't care" for baseball, is different than "not caring" .. :handclap:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So nice to have Sirius XM. The NHL channel is very professional, especially Scott Laughlin. Not having to listen to stupid commercials is worth the money.

I haven't ever listened to Don Brennan on radio, as every time in the past he was coming up, I switched to another station. (pre-XM days)

There are still commercials on the NHL Radio Network. Just not every 2 minutes.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
So rather than defend his work, he instead decided to mock the accusor?

Yep. Sounds like something Brennan would do. I have zero doubts that happened. If you instead had told me that Brennan came to the defence of his "journalistic style" with a passionate and reasoned argument, THEN I would doubt your claims. As it stands, "Don Brennan resorting to 3rd grade insults to critics of his work" is possibly the most likely thing to happen in every alternate dimension that features Don Brennan in it.

Doesn't surprise me that's what happens to most people who send in emails that criticizes a host. You know the listener is always wrong and the host is always correct.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I once emailed some show Brenan was guest hosting on and asked why he seemed like such a nice guy on the radio but wrote such sensationalist nonsense in the paper. They read it on air and he told me to efff off.

Fun times.

My favorite Brennan story was from about 2 or 3 years ago when he was guest hosting with JR on the drive. It went something like this:

Brennan: ... so I was on In the Box with Lloydie, and we'd been preempted, by TGOR..

JR: Wait what, how were you preempted by TGOR?

Brennan: Well, you know. They came before us.

JR: Uhh, okay. I think you mean preceded. Preceded by TGOR.

Brennan: ... well, whatever... they were on before us. Anyway...

That is correct. A man who writes newspaper columns for a living, did not know the difference between the words "preempted" and "preceded".

Pretty sure my 10 year old daughter knows the difference between these two words.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Boy does Simmer have a tough time completing a sentence without rambling on about 3 or 4 different topics within the same breath..

Simmer - You know, I just don't feel it for the Jays, you know Jose Bautista and that David Ortiz, Big Papi had a great night, like I say, you are right, the Gronk and Papi have a commercial, nope, not feeling it like my buddy Joel Quennville and his wife, great atmosphere at the Redblacks games, Tony Greco

Of course this isn't an exact quote, but man oh man, STAY ON TOPIC!

On the plus side, it seems like the hosts seem to be making a concentrated effort to talk some baseball, unfortunately, it isn't very in depth and all of their conversations lead back to the Expos.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Boy does Simmer have a tough time completing a sentence without rambling on about 3 or 4 different topics within the same breath..

Simmer - You know, I just don't feel it for the Jays, you know Jose Bautista and that David Ortiz, Big Papi had a great night, like I say, you are right, the Gronk and Papi have a commercial, nope, not feeling it like my buddy Joel Quennville and his wife, great atmosphere at the Redblacks games, Tony Greco

Of course this isn't an exact quote, but man oh man, STAY ON TOPIC!

On the plus side, it seems like the hosts seem to be making a concentrated effort to talk some baseball, unfortunately, it isn't very in depth and all of their conversations lead back to the Expos.

It's all the Ashley Madison talk and trying to figure out how quickly he can get married again to be part of the 20%

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It's all the Ashley Madison talk and trying to figure out how quickly he can get married again to be part of the 20%

I used to hate Simmer. Turn off the radio even. He is better. He is even at times likeable now.

But I didn't hear these segments so it coulda been pretty bad!

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
I used to hate Simmer. Turn off the radio even. He is better. He is even at times likeable now.

But I didn't hear these segments so it coulda been pretty bad!

Funny, I use to like listening to Simmer when he first started he was one of my favourites he wasn't great but being new I cut him some slack. He was also more humble when he first started. Now, I can't stand his arrogance and his constant naming dropping and trying to make himself more important to every story. For example going on on and how he uses his media pass to get into RedBlacks game but doesn't really watch the game because he's to busy socializing in the suites with the Ottawa elites.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Funny, I use to like listening to Simmer when he first started he was one of my favourites he wasn't great but being new I cut him some slack. He was also more humble when he first started. Now, I can't stand his arrogance and his constant naming dropping and trying to make himself more important to every story. For example going on on and how he uses his media pass to get into RedBlacks game but doesn't really watch the game because he's to busy socializing in the suites with the Ottawa elites.
Seemed to work for Pierre McGuire.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Seemed to work for Pierre McGuire.

How?? 90% of hockey fans have zero interest in hearing anything Pierre says.

Seems to work when impressing the TSN1200 hosts, but doesn't work on anyone else. I'm not leaving after listening to Simmer brag about all of his free perks and thinking how cool this guy is, I am leaving with the impression that this guy is a total a$$ that really tries to make himself sound way more important than he really is.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Yes, I like XM NHL Channel too. But the wife does not! :(

Only have it in the SUV and not the house. Wish I bought the portable version.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Yes, I like XM NHL Channel too. But the wife does not! :(

Only have it in the SUV and not the house. Wish I bought the portable version.

If you have a subscription you can listen to it online. I believe there is even an app for the cell phone, just make sure you are in a wifi area if you want to use it or you will end up with one of those horror story cell phone bills.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I think he was referring to the fact that despite having zero credibility and a quite annoying shtick, Pierre has managed to work his way into a pretty sweet position at NBC. Kind of a stretch to claim it was because of his frequent name dropping though...

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

I vehemently disagree with this. Pierre is indeed a polarizing figure; however, your claim of 90% a) cannot be substantiated; and b) is just downright untrue when you branch out to other hockey watchers' opinions. You can't simply claim most hockey fans are on your side to bolster your own opinion. Maybe I wouldn't have commented if you said 50%, but 90 is a bit much there.

I feel like I said this just last month, but Pierre is an intelligent guy, he knows hockey and is deeply connected (more than most so-called insiders; hence he keeps getting brought back on TSN for Trade Deadline and Free Agent Frenzy). He name drops not to show off, but to give context to his stories. If he went to dinner with Joel Quenville, he's telling a story about Hawks management's opinion on something, etc etc. It gives context and credibility to his stories. At this point, Pierre McGuire is FAR beyond having to name drop to advance his career.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I vehemently disagree with this. Pierre is indeed a polarizing figure; however, your claim of 90% a) cannot be substantiated; and b) is just downright untrue when you branch out to other hockey watchers' opinions. You can't simply claim most hockey fans are on your side to bolster your own opinion. Maybe I wouldn't have commented if you said 50%, but 90 is a bit much there.

I feel like I said this just last month, but Pierre is an intelligent guy, he knows hockey and is deeply connected (more than most so-called insiders; hence he keeps getting brought back on TSN for Trade Deadline and Free Agent Frenzy). He name drops not to show off, but to give context to his stories. If he went to dinner with Joel Quenville, he's telling a story about Hawks management's opinion on something, etc etc. It gives context and credibility to his stories. At this point, Pierre McGuire is FAR beyond having to name drop to advance his career.

I agree, while I can see how he can be annoying, and sometimes damn near creepy, he really does know what he's talking about and has experience to back it up.

There are much worse media guys out there than Pierre.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I kinda like Pierre on tv and radio. He does know his stuff.

But keep him the hell away from any kind of real management duties with any NHL team.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

OK, OK, I didn't realize the number would get so many people worked up. Wow.

Pierre is definitely an intelligent guy, definitely more interested in listening to his segment than to Simmer's, however, I really don't think he is as plugged in as many of the other TSN guys or as many of you think. This is where TSN1200 misses the boat. TSN690 has a revolving door of hockey personalities that show up on all of their shows, which brings different opinions and different points of view on all things NHL.

Having the "Simmer at 7:20" segment followed so closely by Pierre's segment is sorta annoying, considering how unprepared the TGOR guys are, they just ask both guys the exact same questions.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
OK, OK, I didn't realize the number would get so many people worked up. Wow.

Pierre is definitely an intelligent guy, definitely more interested in listening to his segment than to Simmer's, however, I really don't think he is as plugged in as many of the other TSN guys or as many of you think. This is where TSN1200 misses the boat. TSN690 has a revolving door of hockey personalities that show up on all of their shows, which brings different opinions and different points of view on all things NHL.

Having the "Simmer at 7:20" segment followed so closely by Pierre's segment is sorta annoying, considering how unprepared the TGOR guys are, they just ask both guys the exact same questions.

Pierre is very annoying and a borderline narcissist, but he's still very knowledgable on anything hockey related

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Wants you back

I think TSN has noticed, as this board has shown, no one is listening at the moment so they have rolled out multiple contests. Maybe they should focus more on their on air talent. Did anyone want to listen to Lee Versage and Bruce Garrioch, didn't even turn it on once I heard who the hosts were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad