THE OFFICIAL Matt Rempe Fight Club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Bloke is trying to speed up his brain damage and CTE to a 20yr fighting veteran level in a span of a month.

Absolutely love it. Hockey needs more of this, I miss the old school fights
Yeah brain damage is entertaining to watch. Then we can have memorial threads years down the line about how the NHL needs to be better at protecting players from CTE so they don't go down the path of substance abuse and suicide.

But boy, those fights! Super neato!

Reactions: Acallabeth

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Bloke is trying to speed up his brain damage and CTE to a 20yr fighting veteran level in a span of a month.

Yeah brain damage is entertaining to watch. Then we can have memorial threads years down the line about how the NHL needs to be better at protecting players from CTE so they don't go down the path of substance abuse and suicide.

But boy, those fights! Super neato!
Ever heard of the UFC? Boxing? Might as well ban it all right. Bubble wrap the second you walk out the door

Reactions: Leafshater67

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I swear this website is so weird.

He loses one fight, even though he did pretty well in his first two, and now he's a bad fighter.

He's fought three heavyweight veterans in his first week in the NHL to mixed results. That's far from bad.

He could improve his fighting. If he does so, he'll be unbeatable, but he's already a competitive heavyweight fighter in the NHL at age 21.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I swear this website is so weird.

He loses one fight, even though he did pretty well in his first two, and now he's a bad fighter.

He's fought three heavyweight veterans in his first week in the NHL to mixed results. That's far from bad.

He could improve his fighting. If he does so, he'll be unbeatable, but he's already a competitive heavyweight fighter in the NHL at age 21.

It’s mostly just concern that he’s eaten so many punches in such a short span. He’s awesome, we just wanna make sure he can keep doing it. Dude should have a long career if he plays it right.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
The snowflakes really need to stop the CTE crying in this thread. Boxers and MMA fighters take way more solid punches to the head in a year than Rempe possibly can. The only direct concern would be a fall to the ice where his head hits.

A hard check when your head is whiplashed badly is more possible to give CTE than a hockey fight.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
It’s mostly just concern that he’s eaten so many punches in such a short span. He’s awesome, we just wanna make sure he can keep doing it. Dude should have a long career if he plays it right.
That many fights in a short span is never good for anyone in the long term.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Rempe vs. Reaves is what many fans are looking forward to.

Watch how much the arena explodes when these two square off in a fight.

• Love
Reactions: Rongomania

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Rempe vs. Reaves is what many fans are looking forward to.

Watch how much the arena explodes when these two square off in a fight.
Want to see it, as a dinosaur, got the same post on the Leaf board. Can’t remember last looking forward to a potential heavyweight bout in NHL.

If I’m NYR I’m telling Rempe we don’t want to see it unless we have to for some real reason, that there probably won’t be. You get the feeling that a two goal lead either way is probably “a reason” though.

I’m as old school as it gets but seeing the kids face half caved in two weeks in to his career isn’t cool. Be cheering for a good tilt that no one gets dummy hurt in if they go.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The snowflakes really need to stop the CTE crying in this thread. Boxers and MMA fighters take way more solid punches to the head in a year than Rempe possibly can. The only direct concern would be a fall to the ice where his head hits.

A hard check when your head is whiplashed badly is more possible to give CTE than a hockey fight.
And yet being a regular NHL fighter decreases a player's lifespan by a decade: Fighting and Penalty Minutes Associated With Long-term Mortality Among NHL Players

And this is the main thing. Fighting to protect your teammate once in several years is tolerable. Fighting 3 times a week to prove you're the biggest goon around is dangerous and stupid.

Reactions: Lua

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
And yet being a regular NHL fighter decreases a player's lifespan by a decade: Fighting and Penalty Minutes Associated With Long-term Mortality Among NHL Players

And this is the main thing. Fighting to protect your teammate once in several years is tolerable. Fighting 3 times a week to prove you're the biggest goon around is dangerous and stupid.
He isn’t a child though. He knows the risks and is a grown adult making a choice. He should be allowed to make that choice even if it is bad for his own health long term.

Reactions: BM14

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Jersey has a guy now. Love it. Rempe needs to answer the bell on march 11

The hope is still that Rempe will develop into something. I get what New Jersey is doing. Rempe completely ran over Bastian and the Devils had no answer for it but MacDermid is what he is (and by NHL standards not a very good player) and he's not likely to help the Devils win any games which they desperately need to do. It's always been a fierce rivalry between the three metropolitan NYC area teams though so bringing in MacDermid wasn't really expected and FWIW MacDermid is arguably the best fighter in the league. That said he comes out on the short end occasionally too. Everyone does.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He isn’t a child though. He knows the risks and is a grown adult making a choice. He should be allowed to make that choice even if it is bad for his own health long term.

I think that’s a reasonable stance.

I also think it’s a reasonable stance when people point out the risk he is taking and that maybe he should “cool off”.

No one posting behind the safety of their keyboard is more or less of a tough guy because of how they feel about hockey players fighting. Not saying you said that, but that is a commonly implied notion in these debates evident in this thread.

It’s reasonable to look at multiple sides of it. These things have nuance.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Jersey has a guy now. Love it. Rempe needs to answer the bell on march 11
To be honest, I don't think he cares. Win or lose, his goal is to be a big player making it difficult for the other team. He's a tough kid who won't back down, so there's not going to be an intimidating factor here. The other teams still needs to know he's around and on the ice, even if you have somebody who wins the fight. Rangers had a terrible 4th line, it was barely ice'able. I'm not saying it's amazing now, but there's a spot for him to make it difficult for the other team. That doesn't mean he has to fight ever game to achieve that. That wasn't really supposed to be the role.

He's just a big, tough kid. I don't think any sane NYR fan thought he was the best fighter in the NHL. (He's not. He has no defense, at all..), but he's a real big body who can make it difficult to play against and not afraid to throw it down.

Somebody just needs to let him know he doesn't have to do this all the time to stay in the lineup right now. Playing limited minutes where you can't evaluate him because he fights, that's more likely to remove him from the lineup.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

This isn't boxing. This isn't the UFC. And Rempe played an NHL game the night after, taking more punches instead of recovering.

"Here are the scenarios that can give you CTE"
Great... we'll come back and talk about those when he's taking those checks every game without protecting himself, or when he's diving on the ice hitting his head every game.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I like his panache, but realistically he is an average heavyweight. He’ll entertain, but lose a lot of fights. Too Bambi-ish, top heavy, no defense.

I’d put him behind all of: Reaves, Deslaurier, Macdermid, Olivier, Xhekaj, Johnston, Jeannot, Schenn, Wilson.

Matt Martin rarely wins fights. Even when he was with the Leafs, he fights for optics. His punches don’t even land 80% of the time. Maroon is another who hasn’t won a fight clean in years. These are the type of guys Rempe will likely best most often.

Curtis Douglas is another prospect (AHLer) who is the same build as Rempe and would prob KO him. Size without strength/tactics just makes you a Voros/Koci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad