THE OFFICIAL Matt Rempe Fight Club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like his panache, but realistically he is an average heavyweight. He’ll entertain, but lose a lot of fights. Too Bambi-ish, top heavy, no defense.

I’d put him behind all of: Reaves, Deslaurier, Macdermid, Olivier, Xhekaj, Johnston, Jeannot, Schenn, Wilson.

Matt Martin rarely wins fights. Even when he was with the Leafs, he fights for optics. His punches don’t even land 80% of the time. Maroon is another who hasn’t won a fight clean in years. These are the type of guys Rempe will likely best most often.

Curtis Douglas is another prospect (AHLer) who is the same build as Rempe and would prob KO him. Size without strength/tactics just makes you a Voros/Koci.
He’s already beaten Deslauriers and Johnston.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
My worthless 2 cents (with 6 years of boxing experience) for Rempe
He needs to use his shoulders more for glancing blows and not stand so straight up as overhands and uppercuts will eventually have him KOd on the ice.

I think he'd actually give Reaves a really good tilt and may win.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He got rocked by Olivier last game and his face looks dreadful because of it. I actually don't see a staged fight.

If they fight, its gonna be in a scrum or after a big hit or something like that

Reaves is talking to the media like he plans on fighting Rempe.

I think a fight is inevitable.
Lmao no he didn't. They asked him about it and he said "he doesn't have the game script. If it happens it happens." Even gave kudos to the kid for doing what he's doing

All the goons lining up to try and make themselves relevant again via a staged fight with the kid
This is hilarious considering Rempe is the one asking for the fights on the ice

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My worthless 2 cents (with 6 years of boxing experience) for Rempe
He needs to use his shoulders more for glancing blows and not stand so straight up as overhands and uppercuts will eventually have him KOd on the ice.

I think he'd actually give Reaves a really good tilt and may win.

I grew up in Saskatoon and was raised during the broad street bully era (mid 70’s). One of the guys I graduated high school with had the distinction of getting 500 penalty minutes in the IHL one season lol. I have kind of cooled on fighting as I have gotten older and the job became a bit to specialized for my liking. The appointment fight era, guys not really mad at each other, with handshakes after the bout lost me completely. I found it too detached from the flow of the game and emotionless.

With that said my worthless 2 cents as a guy that followed the fighting side too much for years.

Rempe needs to get better with his left hand lock out if he’s going to square up and fight 80’s style toe to toe. Get the left hand out wider, grip outer shoulder/bicep, twist inward, then lock his elbow strait. That will take the power out of the other fighters right, especially with his length. He came in fighting too open and although it’s entertaining as hell short term, it’s not a sustainable approach. He also needs to get the chin tucked back a bit more. Seems like a good kid but stylistically he is a Jim Kyte knock out waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 333359

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Lmao no he didn't. They asked him about it and he said "he doesn't have the game script. If it happens it happens." Even gave kudos to the kid for doing what he's doing
Ryan Reaves on Matt Rempe: "It's been a hot start for him. A good start ... good on him. He's got some attention & we'll see how long it lasts".

Chances of a showdown tomorrow? "I don't have the game script, but you never know".

When Reaves says "we'll see how long it lasts", that is him basically saying "I am coming to get you sucka!"

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Ryan Reaves on Matt Rempe: "It's been a hot start for him. A good start ... good on him. He's got some attention & we'll see how long it lasts".

Chances of a showdown tomorrow? "I don't have the game script, but you never know".

When Reaves says "we'll see how long it lasts", that is him basically saying "I am coming to get you sucka!"
lol No thats him saying wether or not Rempe is gonna last in the NHL. Rangers fans are saying he's going down to the AHL once injuries clear and trade deadline passes

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
lol No thats him saying wether or not Rempe is gonna last in the NHL. Rangers fans are saying he's going down to the AHL once injuries clear and trade deadline passes
He obviously will go down to the AHL.

A team that is a true Stanley Cup contender, which I consider the Rangers to be, isn't going to be dressing Matt Rempe during a playoff game.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I grew up in Saskatoon and was raised during the broad street bully era (mid 70’s). One of the guys I graduated high school with had the distinction of getting 500 penalty minutes in the IHL one season lol. I have kind of cooled on fighting as I have gotten older and the job became a bit to specialized for my liking. The appointment fight era, guys not really mad at each other, with handshakes after the bout lost me completely. It was detached from the flow of the game and emotionless.

With that said my worthless 2 cents as a guy that followed the fighting side too much for years.

Rempe needs to get better with his left hand lock out if he’s going to square up and fight 80’s style toe to toe. Get the left hand out wider, grip outer shoulder/bicep, twist inward, then lock his elbow strait. That will take the power out of the other fighters right, especially with his length. He came in fighting too open and although it’s entertaining as hell short term, it’s not a sustainable approach. He also needs to get the chin tucked back a bit more. Seems like a good kid but stylistically he is a Jim Kyte knock out waiting to happen.

Good post. I agree on the tucking chin or "blocking down", most new boxers want to block up with the gloves.
Very strong point on the locking of the elbow, find some think you can't generate enough power without a full pull back of shoulder and follow through of the fist but a well timed quick counter with tight elbow can do a world of damage.
The ability to switch hands or quick jabs can always hide the incoming right or vica versa.

Who were some of your fave fighters back in the day (hockey or boxing)?

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Dont get to catch the Leafs much but i havent noticed him trying to fight guys.

Take my word for it. In either case,

giphy.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good post. I agree on the tucking chin or "blocking down", most new boxers want to block up with the gloves.
Very strong point on the locking of the elbow, find some think you can't generate enough power without a full pull back of shoulder and follow through of the fist but a well timed quick counter with tight elbow can do a world of damage.
The ability to switch hands or quick jabs can always hide the incoming right or vica versa.

Who were some of your fave fighters back in the day (hockey or boxing)?

Boxing I was lucky I grew up in the era (post prison) Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, etc etc then of course Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Leonard. It was a golden era for boxing because these guys were all gifted phenomenal rivals.

IMO two of the best offensive fighters of all time were a prime Mike Tyson and a prime Roy Jones Jr. The challege I had with both these fighters is they didn’t pass my primary test when I rate all time fighters. How do you respond when you are in a war and taking a beating, can you get off the mat and win. Both these guys were forces of nature but they lacked the heart of the lion when they were outmatched. Not trying to diminish Tyson not sure anyone would have beaten a prime Tyson.

Ali checked all the boxes for me. I think in his absolute prime pre prison he was really special. Who he moved and how smooth his hands were. He also had the heart of a lion. Then combine that with his amazing ability to take on the heel persona to drive buy rates long before Connor McGregor followed suit. Also how naturally charismatic he was in and out of the ring. When I think Boxing greatness he is the name at the top during my life time.

Honorable mention as a favorite of mine was Marvin Hagler. He was probably the most consistent fighter in my life time. Phenomenal condition, technically as good as it gets, maybe the best chin I can remember (other than Chuvalo). Marvin was a class act and might have lacked one punch knock out power but he was such a complete fighter and one of my favorites.

The Ward Gotti trilogy was the craziest rivalry I have ever seen for just sure will power. Honestly it was too much for me but my respect for their determination cannot be understated.

My dad answered Sugar Ray Robinson to this question (Best ever)

Huge important qualifier. I lost my stomach for boxing after the Ward Gatti series but especially since my son was born (15 years ago) but I sense Tyson Fury would have been one of my all time favorites.

This is getting TLDR so I will drop back and give a quick round up on hockey fighters I liked.

Back at you who are your favorites from the ring and rink

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He obviously will go down to the AHL.

A team that is a true Stanley Cup contender, which I consider the Rangers to be, isn't going to be dressing Matt Rempe during a playoff game.
Well yeah sure but thats what he was referring too and not "Im gonna fight him and make it his last"

:laugh:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Boxing I was lucky I grew up in the era (post prison) Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, etc etc then of course Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Leonard. It was a golden era for boxing because these guys were all gifted phenomenal rivals.

IMO two of the best offensive fighters of all time were a prime Mike Tyson and a prime Roy Jones Jr. The challege I had with both these fighters is they didn’t pass my primary test when I rate all time fighters. How do you respond when you are in a war and taking a beating, can you get off the mat and win. Both these guys were forces of nature but they lacked the heart of the lion when they were outmatched. Not trying to diminish Tyson not sure anyone would have beaten a prime Tyson.

Ali checked all the boxes for me. I think in his absolute prime pre prison he was really special. Who he moved and how smooth his hands were. He also had the heart of a lion. Then combine that with his amazing ability to take on the heel persona to drive buy rates long before Connor McGregor followed suit. Also how naturally charismatic he was in and out of the ring. When I think Boxing greatness he is the name at the top during my life time.

Honorable mention as a favorite of mine was Marvin Hagler. He was probably the most consistent fighter in my life time. Phenomenal condition, technically as good as it gets, maybe the best chin I can remember (other than Chuvalo). Marvin was a class act and might have lacked one punch knock out power but he was such a complete fighter and one of my favorites.

The Ward Gotti trilogy was the craziest rivalry I have ever seen for just sure will power. Honestly it was too much for me but my respect for their determination cannot be understated.

My dad answered Sugar Ray Robinson to this question (Best ever)

Huge important qualifier. I lost my stomach for boxing after the Ward Gatti series but especially since my son was born (15 years ago) but I sense Tyson Fury would have been one of my all time favorites.

This is getting TLDR so I will drop back and give a quick round up on hockey fighters I liked.

Back at you who are your favorites from the ring and rink

Appreciate the time and effort put in.
Hoping we haven't derailed this thread but love to talk fighting in general and as I near my 40s, I do start to wonder about the lasting effects of boxing/fighting on the brain/body.

I share the same sentiment about not wanting to see anyone die or be badly injured from it but I still respect all forms of combat and will til the day I die.

Ive likely left out a name or two here but off the top of my head, my list below.
Cheers!

I usually break down by style and then evaluate based on competition and era.
We have a lot of the same names and for good reason.

For pure power:
Tyson - 44 of 50 fights were KOs
Foreman - 68 of 76 fights were KOs
Marciano - 43 of 49 fights were KOs
Dempsey - 43 of his 53 fights were KOs

Beterbiev - newer fighter
He's won all 20 of his fights by KO/TKO.
He reminds me of the old school brute force mentality.

Purest boxer at heart:
Duran
Hagler
Hearns
Canelo Alvarez
Gotti

These guys had/have the natural ability to will themselves through a fight with high skill and heart of a warrior.

Showman boxer/god given talent:
Ali
Roy Jones Jr
Leonard

Lomachenko is real fun to watch, his footwork and high IQ has his opponents guessing at every moment

Reactions: ps241

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think I just love his road to the NHL. Height may have given him the advantage, but I think you could turn this guy into a solid defenseman even though he's naturally a centreman.

But it's almost rare for players on the Rangers to succeed going the CHL route and make it as a young player. You need to be an established NHLer to succeed on the Rangers. But Drury is changing the game there.

Matt Rempe isn't ready for the NHL. The NHL is ready for him.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
Someone mentioned he isnt a kid.. But doesn't the brain stop developing at 25? is there reserach in brain damage in people before their brain is developed? can these be related at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad