The NHL is launching NFT's... In 2023

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Right after I had ChatGPT solve a 2000 year old previously unsolvable math problem, draw up a deeply complex multi-national real estate contract in 7 languages and compose a 28-instrument concerto based on Shakespeare's Othello with hip hop overtones, I asked it to explain to me what an NFT was and it crashed.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This reminds me of a Newsweek article from 1995 that I saved and like to read from time to time:
The Internet? Bah!
Hype alert: Why cyberspace isn't, and will never be, nirvana

By Clifford Stoll | NEWSWEEK
From the magazine issue dated Feb 27, 1995

After two decades online, I'm perplexed. It's not that I haven't had a gas of a good time on the Internet. I've met great people and even caught a hacker or two. But today, I'm uneasy about this most trendy and oversold community. Visionaries see a future of telecommuting workers, interactive libraries and multimedia classrooms. They speak of electronic town meetings and virtual communities. Commerce and business will shift from offices and malls to networks and modems. And the freedom of digital networks will make government more democratic.

Baloney. Do our computer pundits lack all common sense? The truth is no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.

Consider today's online world. The Usenet, a worldwide bulletin board, allows anyone to post messages across the nation. Your word gets out, leapfrogging editors and publishers. Every voice can be heard cheaply and instantly. The result? Every voice is heard. The cacophony more closely resembles citizens band radio, complete with handles, harassment, and anonymous threats. When most everyone shouts, few listen. How about electronic publishing? Try reading a book on disc. At best, it's an unpleasant chore: the myopic glow of a clunky computer replaces the friendly pages of a book. And you can't tote that laptop to the beach. Yet Nicholas Negroponte, director of the MIT Media Lab, predicts that we'll soon buy books and newspapers straight over the Internet. Uh, sure.

What the Internet hucksters won't tell you is that the Internet is one big ocean of unedited data, without any pretense of completeness. Lacking editors, reviewers or critics, the Internet has become a wasteland of unfiltered data. You don't know what to ignore and what's worth reading. Logged onto the World Wide Web, I hunt for the date of the Battle of Trafalgar. Hundreds of files show up, and it takes 15 minutes to unravel them--one's a biography written by an eighth grader, the second is a computer game that doesn't work and the third is an image of a London monument. None answers my question, and my search is periodically interrupted by messages like, "Too many connections, try again later."

Won't the Internet be useful in governing? Internet addicts clamor for government reports. But when Andy Spano ran for county executive in Westchester County, N.Y., he put every press release and position paper onto a bulletin board. In that affluent county, with plenty of computer companies, how many voters logged in? Fewer than 30. Not a good omen.

Point and click:
Then there are those pushing computers into schools. We're told that multimedia will make schoolwork easy and fun. Students will happily learn from animated characters while taught by expertly tailored software.Who needs teachers when you've got computer-aided education? Bah. These expensive toys are difficult to use in classrooms and require extensive teacher training. Sure, kids love videogames--but think of your own experience: can you recall even one educational filmstrip of decades past? I'll bet you remember the two or three great teachers who made a difference in your life.

Then there's cyberbusiness. We're promised instant catalog shopping--just point and click for great deals. We'll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obsolete. So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month? Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet--which there isn't--the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.

What's missing from this electronic wonderland? Human contact. Discount the fawning techno-burble about virtual communities. Computers and networks isolate us from one another. A network chat line is a limp substitute for meeting friends over coffee. No interactive multimedia display comes close to the excitement of a live concert. And who'd prefer cybersex to the real thing? While the Internet beckons brightly, seductively flashing an icon of knowledge-as-power, this nonplace lures us to surrender our time on earth. A poor substitute it is, this virtual reality where frustration is legion and where--in the holy names of Education and Progress--important aspects of human interactions are relentlessly devalued.

STOLL is the author of "Silicon Snake Oil--Second Thoughts on the Information Highway," to be published by Doubleday in April.

Bowski

Taking out the trash.
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
crazy-crazy-week.gif

Come on Crypto Due that judges us all, post here now!

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
No thanks. I like to actually know the custodian of my data.
Custodian? It spells the owner. You don't actually want the big tech owning every digital bit of your life rather than yourself. And that's what it's all about. It must happen. Everything depends on it and I'm not even exaggerating.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Reminds my of Neil Tyson DeGrasse's book where he opens by hi lighting how woefully short predictions for the future have come up since time immemorial.

That said, NFT's in their current form are ridiculous imo. Give me things I can touch or at least be in the physical presence of 10/10.

Alt coins with pictures for the time being. Nothing wrong with that, as long as participants are aware there are smarter opponents trying to take their money.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
NFT interest seems pretty appropriate for an organization that is going backwards in other areas as well. So...cornering the market in gullible millennials and dying boomers? Seems like a focus that isn't going to work out long term.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
NFT often make little sense, but for the NHL that seem to be a particular bad case:

What rights do I have with ownership of an NHL Breakaway digital collectible?​

Each NHL Breakaway digital collectible owner is granted a limited, terminable, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use and display, with no right to sublicense, a single copy of certain NHL content associated with the owner's digital collectible for personal use only during the time of collectible ownership. This license is subject to applicable law, as it may change from time to time, and any additional restrictions that the NHL, Sweet, or other content owners may impose upon the use of the digital collectible, including any audio-visual content, at the time of sale. See our Terms of Use for more information.

Can I transfer my digital collectibles to an external, non-custodial wallet?​

Until further notice during the beta, collectibles are required to stay on the platform as we are continuing to optimize the core fan experience. We will post on the platform when collectibles may be moved off the platform to compatible wallets and approved marketplaces.

you acknowledge and agree that:
(1) Digital Collectibles are memorabilia for personal use and enjoyment,
subject to license and use restrictions as set forth herein;
(2) Digital Collectibles do not entitle you to royalties or revenue and you have no expectations of profits based upon your ownership and/or any action or inaction by Sweet or others, either now or in the future;
(3) you are not acting in response to any guarantee of price appreciation or offer to participate in an investment contract or financial instrument;
(4) neither Sweet nor Brands (including Brand Partners) control the future value of your Digital Collectible and there may not be another collector who wants to buy it or be willing to pay what you paid for it; and (

5) Digital Collectibles are recorded on a blockchain with no right of cancellation or refund.

you agree that you will not use the Content embedded in Digital Collectibles for any commercial benefit, to make any derivative works of the Content, or to distribute the Content to any third party for a commercial benefit.

Sweet may, at its sole and absolute discretion, revoke (i) all access to the Platform and/or your Account and (ii) all rights under the limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to use and access the Platform as set forth in this paragraph
Sweet reserves the right, including without prior notice, to discontinue the sale of Digital Collectibles which have not previously been sold; to bar any user from making any Transaction; and to refuse to provide any user with any Digital Collectible or access to the Platform for any reason whatsoever.

You do not seem to own the copyright of the image either, it is like buying an url toward the jpeg of the mona lisa.

When does the NFT do than a regular account-password to the nhl owned server could not here ? What does the use of polygon-etherum blockchains do, if we are talking about limited and terminable license ? Having to rely on a third party in any way, seem to remove the very point of involving crypto in this.

Alt coins with pictures for the time being.
The with picture being a bit generous here, the picture in question have little to nothing to do with the coin, the picture is hosted on Amazon Server and IPFS, I am not sure if a couple of years after Sweet bankruptcy if the link in the NFT will link to anything.

In general with NFT if you can look at it for free that mean they are not on a blockchain (chain transaction would be costly for a color large amount of pixel image, they tend to be say 16x16 affair), you still need to have some faith on the hosting of the actual picture to continue to work in the future or maintain it yourself, maybe your confident ipfs and your picture will continue to work, but if it does how much value the blockchain has here ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rebels57 and rynryn

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
At least 700+ morons so far. Free money to the PA. Right click works just fine and is free.
1697050373104.png

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I can't stress enough how much a way to certify ownership of data and digital media needs to be a thing. That doesn't mean it needs to be built on the blockchain.

Calling it a nonsense concept because of monkey images and crypto scammers is extremely shortsighted.
The ship of digital ownership being something of value has long since sailed. Like.. 25 years ago.

Everything you buy that is digital is just a license to use it. Even NFTs are a license, but artificially limited to a certain number of people and transferrable.

That artificial limitation does not increase value though. Digital things will never increase in value like non-digital things because the scarcity is fake.

NFTs offer nothing of actual value to society which is why they will always be a bad investment.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Custodian? It spells the owner. You don't actually want the big tech owning every digital bit of your life rather than yourself. And that's what it's all about. It must happen. Everything depends on it and I'm not even exaggerating.
Crypto is 25 years too late to change this. Crypto was over before it even started. It will never be useful.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
NFTS are useless on their own (which is what was sold). NFTs are supposed to be more like DRM (digital rights management). They're useful if you have a game puck and you can scan a code to access the NFT similar to a COA (certificate of authenticity). They're useful in RPG games to avoid cloning of digital assets.

IIRC, there are luxury goods manufacturers who are doing these digital COAs via NFT technology that pairs with an NFC chip inside of the luxury good. That's good attempts to use the technology. What the NHL did was dumb.

Like, if you had a game worn jersey or a signed puck of sorts that had a QR code that was both digital COA that when pulls up displays with a funky cool clip related to the item, that's cool. The funky cool clip with no item... that's dumb.

Like if you buy Brad Marchand's game worn gloves, scan a QR code and a site says, "Yep, legit!" while a clip of Brad Marchand licking your screen... well OK that's dumb too. But it'd be kinda funny in a Rick Roll sort of way.

Reactions: Rebels57

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
NFTS are useless on their own (which is what was sold). NFTs are supposed to be more like DRM (digital rights management). They're useful if you have a game puck and you can scan a code to access the NFT similar to a COA (certificate of authenticity). They're useful in RPG games to avoid cloning of digital assets.

IIRC, there are luxury goods manufacturers who are doing these digital COAs via NFT technology that pairs with an NFC chip inside of the luxury good. That's good attempts to use the technology. What the NHL did was dumb.

Like, if you had a game worn jersey or a signed puck of sorts that had a QR code that was both digital COA that when pulls up displays with a funky cool clip related to the item, that's cool. The funky cool clip with no item... that's dumb.

Like if you buy Brad Marchand's game worn gloves, scan a QR code and a site says, "Yep, legit!" while a clip of Brad Marchand licking your screen... well OK that's dumb too. But it'd be kinda funny in a Rick Roll sort of way.
I mean, you could just have a physical certificate of authenticity, too. Yes, it's reliant on a trusted authenticator, but for the average person that's true anyway, even with an NFT, because the average person does not understand the technology.

A lot of this really just seems like throwing a buzzword at rich or credulous people to part them of more of their money.

Reactions: cptjeff

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I mean, you could just have a physical certificate of authenticity, too. Yes, it's reliant on a trusted authenticator, but for the average person that's true anyway, even with an NFT, because the average person does not understand the technology.

A lot of this really just seems like throwing a buzzword at rich or credulous people to part them of more of their money.

Agreed, yes you could have a physical COA as well. I'm just saying a digital COA/NFT is potentially a more modern and sleek way of doing things and less likely to be lost (ie: The NFC chips or QR codes inside a luxury/customized good).

But that's not what the vast majority of NFT was. I agree with you.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
At least 700+ morons so far. Free money to the PA. Right click works just fine and is free.
Maybe not them, but often the issuer buy a lot of the first one themselve (help the buzz, money go to themselve and if the nft gain value they will have some)

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
They're useful in RPG games to avoid cloning of digital assets.
Does world of warcraft has issue with the cloning of digital asset ? Maybe for some open source with no trusted entity in charge...

Reactions: Cas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad