Earth
Don't sleep on these NFTs

bankman-sam.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Nothing wrong with NFT's. Actually perfect for sports as they are worthless aside from sentimental value.

No less ridiculous than a stick being worth more because it has a signature you can't even read.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Methods for identifying and certifying ownership over digital objects are cool and imperative in adapting to an increasingly digital world. You can't complain about AI's being trained on data it doesn't own if you have no way to certify ownership of data.

People turned a great idea into animated images of monkeys because they wanted to make a quick buck. And now they are all people think NFT's can be. And, unfortunately, seemingly all they will be for the foreseeable future.
I strongly agree with your first sentence, but I don't see how blockchain is any kind of an answer to that need. I mean I'd take an NFT indicating ownership of an asset as better evidence of attempted theft than evidence of legitimate ownership, and that total lack of confidence is the fundamental issue.

We need institutional solutions for digital intellectual property, digital licensing rights, and the like. From those norms, the technology to implement them would follow. The fantasy that some technology will self-govern, and will do all of the work that institutions do is ridiculous, and tiresome. You just can't separate NFT's from the hare-brained libertarian blockchain nonsense from which they spring.

I do understand the feeling that motivates it, though. Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, etc. control so much of the implementation of digital property rights/licensing that it would be awesome if there were some fantastical way to fight back. Unfortunately...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Methods for identifying and certifying ownership over digital objects are cool and imperative in adapting to an increasingly digital world. You can't complain about AI's being trained on data it doesn't own if you have no way to certify ownership of data.

People turned a great idea into animated images of monkeys because they wanted to make a quick buck. And now they are all people think NFT's can be. And, unfortunately, seemingly all they will be for the foreseeable future.
From a creators perspective I get it, though much of what would be covered by blockchain is already covered by copyright, trademark, and IP laws as far as that is concerned.

From a consumer standpoint it makes no sense in practice. At best it's stuff bought by tech bros with too much money and fomo. It's not actual ownership of anything other than the unique id and the second the creator decides to purge it, it's useless. And that's without getting into all the shady RICO violation tier stuff.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Whatever your goal is, you can achieve it without the massive inefficiency of blockchain.

Reactions: cptjeff

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
So much ignorance in this thread that it's just sad. Tables absolutely HAVE to be turned and we have the way in web3 and all that. Sad part is many of the ignorant bunch doesn't even seem an old geezer like me. Just f***ing think people.

Don't write it off because someone says digital ownership is about paying a thousand bucks for a pixelated screenshot. It's everything but and it's everything.

Decentralization of data needs to happen and it needs to happen fast. It's also going to happen. Just get onboard and embrace it.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Remember ALF? He's back, in NFT form!

Yeah, actually I downloaded the entire series. My 9 year old loves Alf lol

Nothing wrong with NFT's. Actually perfect for sports as they are worthless aside from sentimental value.

No less ridiculous than a stick being worth more because it has a signature you can't even read.

But at least I can hold it. Display it on my wall. Etc....

Not exactly the same as showing some digital what ever the f***.... :)

snag

Feb 22, 2014
So much ignorance in this thread that it's just sad. Tables absolutely HAVE to be turned and we have the way in web3 and all that. Sad part is many of the ignorant bunch doesn't even seem an old geezer like me. Just f***ing think people.

Don't write it off because someone says digital ownership is about paying a thousand bucks for a pixelated screenshot. It's everything but and it's everything.

Decentralization of data needs to happen and it needs to happen fast. It's also going to happen. Just get onboard and embrace it.

Decentralization of what data? Sure as hell better not be mine. It doesn't "need" to happen and f*** no I won't embrace that.

crosby87

Oct 15, 2017
But that is not what that is. This is like my buying the rights to your comment. What do I actually get? Do I get any copyright protection or any other things you would get with ownership? No, I get a blockchain verified asset that say I own the URL to your comment.

You can copy your comment to another thread and I have no rights to it. HFboards can migrate and lose the URL and my investment is gone. As an IT professional, the very fact that all value is tied to a URL which is a meaningless thing that can be changed at any time in a few moments of time is absurd.

NFT's are essentially a skin or camo in a video game and when the new one comes out you lose all of them. And if you read their plan, they plan to sell the same NFT cards like 250 times, just each with different URL's.

Now if we want to talk about digital ownership, that is a different conversation. NFT's are a grift to fool folks into thinking they own something.

There's more to NFTs than what you're talking about. They can(and most likely will 1 day for some things mentioned here) be used for tickets to sporting events/planes/trains, passports, IDs, credit cards etc. It will be much harder to commit identity fraud if it is used with passports/IDs(though theres some big issues that would need to be solved if they went that route)

crosby87

Oct 15, 2017
But at least I can hold it. Display it on my wall. Etc....

Not exactly the same as showing some digital what ever the f***.... :)
To be fair, many many many more people will be able to see your NFTs than something hung up in your room.

99% of NFT jpegs is completely ridiculous though, but theres definitely room in it for real art and many other applications such as those in my previous post.

Reactions: Number8

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't agree with the idea of NFT's being useless. I think they are a great tool for scamming money from teenage boys with Elon Musk posters on their wall.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I hope they do really well, in hopes that it increases revenues and positively impacts the cap.

That said, maybe I’m a dinosaur, but owning the rights to a digital hockey gif isn’t of much (any) interest to this fan.
Why give a shit about it the cap going up? There's the same number of teams with the same number of players, who all make plenty. You're not hurt by a player not getting a raise.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Speaking of several years behind, they're also using a 10+ year old photo of Sidney Crosby , Anze Kopitar and a 2+ year old photo of Cale Makar in the old black Avalanche helmet for a promotion.
Yeah, the old pics are used bc it's for the players' first goal / win. I.e. 2005 for Sid.

Reactions: Stephen

snag

Feb 22, 2014
To be fair, many many many more people will be able to see your NFTs than something hung up in your room.

99% of NFT jpegs is completely ridiculous though, but theres definitely room in it for real art and many other applications such as those in my previous post.

I dunno. Imo, a real artist will make an original and license prints. I will travel to see the Mona Lisa. I won't travel to see an NFT. And I am sure most people would value art created in a physical medium a lot more than one in some app...as would most serious artists.

As for hanging stuff on my wall...I couldn't care less how many people saw it. It is for my hanging pleasure, that of my guests and maybe as a conversation piece. An NFT can't do that.

I think whipping out your NFT at a party wouldn't be so cool lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad