The NHL is launching NFT's... In 2023

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Last I read, all those monkey NFTs of recent years, who had been paid huge sums of money, are now worth zero. I wouldn‘t pay a cent for any crap like that.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
NFTs are a scam, but if some people enjoy losing money, then who am I to stop them? Go ahead and buy sets of instructions for your computer screen to color pixels in different ways if you want to and call it a collectible item even though anyone could print screen it and copy it infinitely, I guess.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yes, I'm annoyed (read pissed, sad, irate) with NFT because they turned the idea of digital ownership into a crypto scam and, to the general public, animated monkey images. They single-handedly set us back years in the discussion around digital ownership, right around the same time as people started noticing that people were training AI models on their online data, and now we have two separate conversations going on where digital signatures lead people to think about NFT and monkey images, and people are terrified and angry because there is no way to digitally sign their online data to claim ownership.

We're on the same page.

As someone who isn't fully aware.

Don't they already have digital ownership? Like doesn't EA own the rights to NHL 24? I can't just copy all the coding and release the exact same game and call it "Jason's NHL 24" and sell it, can I?

So isn't digital ownership already in place in proper ways?

I can't just copy other companies software and sell it myself for profit.

Reactions: cptjeff

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
that's the problem with big companies chasing fads

it takes a while to actually launch stuff and by then the moment has passed

lots of video game companies and such way behind the times launching NFT stuff too

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Reactions: Breakers

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
303252.jpg

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
But that is not what that is. This is like my buying the rights to your comment. What do I actually get? Do I get any copyright protection or any other things you would get with ownership? No, I get a blockchain verified asset that say I own the URL to your comment.

You can copy your comment to another thread and I have no rights to it. HFboards can migrate and lose the URL and my investment is gone. As an IT professional, the very fact that all value is tied to a URL which is a meaningless thing that can be changed at any time in a few moments of time is absurd.

NFT's are essentially a skin or camo in a video game and when the new one comes out you lose all of them. And if you read their plan, they plan to sell the same NFT cards like 250 times, just each with different URL's.

Now if we want to talk about digital ownership, that is a different conversation. NFT's are a grift to fool folks into thinking they own something.

I agree with the digital part, but I think NFTs actually have great potential to digitally certify PHYSICAL ownership. Take Ebay Vault or Masterworks and replace their certificates with NFTs that you can P2P exchange with anyone in the world. It would take off all the responsibility of handling the physical collectible while maximizing your reach or market liquidity. They're not something you can copy/paste either so all of the problems with digital goods don't exist in this niche.

Like another poster said, NFTs are a cool idea with potential that we're abused to death by crypto scammers and con-artists. The whole Bored Ape market was one giant spoofed scam.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I hope they do really well, in hopes that it increases revenues and positively impacts the cap.

That said, maybe I’m a dinosaur, but owning the rights to a digital hockey gif isn’t of much (any) interest to this fan.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm all set. I'll just YouTube search a specific goal if I want to see it
Yes, but will you own it? I mean actually own something useful.

Think about it….. you can show a friend your video of Conor McDavid scoring a goal. Then you can say…..

“No, it’s not just a video of a goal, man. I own it. It’s mine. It’s right here on my phone. Want to see it again? And again? “

”What? You don’t want to see it again? It’s a video of McDavid scoring a goal, for God’s sake. In an actual hockey game! What’s wrong with you? I own it forever. And it’s one camera view of goal number 72 in his career. Gonna be gold in the future, pure gold”

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
As someone who isn't fully aware.

Don't they already have digital ownership? Like doesn't EA own the rights to NHL 24? I can't just copy all the coding and release the exact same game and call it "Jason's NHL 24" and sell it, can I?

So isn't digital ownership already in place in proper ways?

I can't just copy other companies software and sell it myself for profit.
Specifically in this case they're talking about how it relates to AI. I dunno if this is a problem yet for like, video game code (though there are absolutely a sea of low effort video games using AI generated art), but someone can own the rights to a digital book, song, art work, their voice, whatever, and it won't prevent somebody from feeding those things into an AI to train it. It's a big problem for artists right now where AI "artists" are generating "art" that's ultimately just amalgamations of other people's art, or voice actors/streamers having people replicate their voice by feeding their performances to an AI and then having the AI say whatever rancid shit the person can come up with, etc.

The argument that NFTs would be able to prevent this is wishful thinking, however.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad