The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds 98

Feb 22, 2015
Quick question, not trying to be negative towards Peter Laviolette because he has brought an offensive minded game plan that was needed, but it's hard to ignore his track record of how his team's fare as seasons go on at his stops. It seems there is not any defensive emphasis left that Trotz instilled, and now the team is struggling in that regards. Is anyone else worried about the direction of the team?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Quick question, not trying to be negative towards Peter Laviolette because he has brought an offensive minded game plan that was needed, but it's hard to ignore his track record of how his team's fare as seasons go on at his stops. It seems there is not any defensive emphasis left that Trotz instilled, and now the team is struggling in that regards. Is anyone else worried about the direction of the team?

To be honest there is not a clear direction IMO. Its all been about putting out fires since last Feb.

Preds 98

Feb 22, 2015
To be honest there is not a clear direction IMO. Its all been about putting out fires since last Feb.

The same time Laviolette altered the team chemistry by adding Santorelli to the mix, when leading the Western Conference with 82 points. His coaching presence mirrors Chip Kelly's of the NFL.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I know some are jazzed up about the points in the last few games but im far from sold. We took two wins from struggling teams Wilds -- in last 10 and the Jets are 4-5-1 including a win over the Preds. It is good to see Rinne rebound for one game and a little life RJ and Neal but these two need more help.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I know some are jazzed up about the points in the last few games but im far from sold. We took two wins from struggling teams Wilds -- in last 10 and the Jets are 4-5-1 including a win over the Preds. It is good to see Rinne rebound for one game and a little life RJ and Neal but these two need more help.

Completely agreed, this team is far from being out of the "slump".

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't think anyone here is sold, we're just glad to be accumulating points however we can get them until that switch we're all hoping flips miraculously does at some point. The only positive to come out of the last two wins is that we got relatively solid goaltending and lo and behold we won the games. We need that to continue if the switch ever has a chance to flip.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2022763

For the last two years I have compared Smith to Raymond. Now Raymond is on waivers. The two are so similar its amazing.

you mean the same 26 year old Smith that is 30 pounds heavier than the 30 year old Raymond, has had a better plus/minus and more points than Raymond in every year he's been in the league, and has out scored Raymond 11-4 this year, 23-12 last year and 24-19 the year before that, that leads our team this year in game winning goals, and has 6 points in 6 playoff games versus Raymond's 20 points in 63 playoff games and has been a healthy scratch 15 times this year?

other than that yeah I guess they are pretty similar.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Smith's career averages are shockingly similiar to Raymond's but there are more than sheer numbers and I still think Smith is a superior player. I will say that even before he came here I thought Raymond's career reminded me of what Hodgson's is becoming. Maybe it was the small Vancouver connection, I don't know.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I watched Raymond in his early years and at one point would have liked him to be a Pred. Defensively Smith is not even close to Raymond at the same age. The scoring similarities are compared are real close. I suppose if you compare a 30 year old to a 25 year old you make a case The thing is Smith will continue to age. His numbers should top out next season. Then he s decline will pick up speed.

Steve I have never seen you have total tunnel vision about a player like you do Smith.

Drake, Hodgson look to be in the same boat as Raymond yet younger. Young players getting a hot start then just fizzle. Now granted all three of these guys would have benefited playing with better linemates.

I brought the topic up because in the past I had made the comparison. This year Smith is crapping the bed as a 4mil a year guy and I fully expect in two years there will be the same clammer here about Smith that there is about Nystrom and Gaustad now. We have a 4 mil guy that is going to be struggleing to have 15 goals and 30 points before the end of his contract. He will get close to 20 this year I would guess 18 and have around 35 points. This is just as an important cap waste than Goose or Nystrom going forward.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
lol, I actually just take smith's side because how I think you are so blinded by hatred for the guy. I like his effort if not his consistency

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
lol, I actually just take smith's side because how I think you are so blinded by hatred for the guy. I like his effort if not his consistency

I never have said I did not like his effort not once. Its the results that are under my skin. And I refuse to blindly accept eye worthiness any longer. That bit me in the butt with way too many players in the past. I prefer to look at the results. It is impossible to deny that Raymond has a career ppg of .46 and Smith .49 when you compare age specific years there is very little difference. This year Smith has 11g 6 asst in 50 games it just so happens in 2012 Raymond only played 5r5 games had 10g 10a the players are the same age for the corresponding year.

Then consider the year they were 25 Smith had 23g 211 44 p Raymond 15g 24a 39p but only played 70 games so again the numbers are really close. The year they were both 24 SMith has 24g 28a for 52 his career year Raymond at 2 had 25g 28a for 53 again not enough difference to be significant. How about age 23 Raymond has 11g 12a 23 points Smith 4g 8 a 12p Raymond had 22 more games played that year but again not that much of a difference at all if you look at whole year performance.

Raymond had one year after 26 that he broke 40 points and a contract at a little over 3mil If I remember correctly when waived.

Now If one just looks at it for entertainment both skate forward pretty well Raymond has always been known for fast feet and falling on his ass. Well Mr Smith does a whole bunch of that too. Now I do admit Raymond has always been a better two way player one of the reason I always liked the guy. But apples to apples theres not a peel difference in there stats.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
you spend entirely too much time and energy hating on smith and the team byrd. but hey to each his own form of enjoyment

I spend very little time thinking of Smith now my opinion of the guy is justified by numbers. Unless he does something suprising, lets say 25 goals and 60 points I will not see him as an asset to this team at his current salary. I think it is a travesty we endure him in a top 6 role while he performs as a 3rd liner. His cap hit prevents Poile from actually signing the top 6 guy while Smith holds that cap hole.

I prefer to spend my thoughts on this team on ways to make it better rather than to languish on underperformers. I am excited to see what Johanson will transform Neal into. That however depends on Poile putting together a legit 2nd line to remove some of the pressure from this 1st line. I further enjoy our top pair defense right now that will change as Weber drops off with age and his cap hit combined with an aging Rinne cripples the team. We are enjoying Rinne and Weber at there best. Soon we are going to have to recall how good they used to be while eating those cap hits in Webers case for 10 more years.

Everyone enjoys this team at different levels, and honestly I enjoyed this team much more when they were fighting to get into the playoffs there first time. Now we have fans who just like the commercial for direct TV "Just Settle". If and when I do not have passion for this teams success I will take up another sport as my primary interest. But for the near future I will ride this roller coaster. Does not mean im gonna like a lot of what I see but im sure not gonna sugar coat it. I have been wrong about many things in the past like everyone. but I was right about Jones not being on the roster next fall, I am right about Wilson and Smith being the biggest problem this team now has. I will go out on a limb thast in two years the biggest problem will be goaltending. We have had a glimpse of how Rinne will look and this could well be a 70 point team again unless the Sarro's plan works.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I spend very little time thinking of Smith now my opinion of the guy is justified by numbers. Unless he does something suprising, lets say 25 goals and 60 points I will not see him as an asset to this team at his current salary.

Given the current state of scoring in the NHL, those are first-line winger numbers. And first-line wingers that score at that rate earn $5-6m/year or more.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Given the current state of scoring in the NHL, those are first-line winger numbers. And first-line wingers that score at that rate earn $5-6m/year or more.

There isn't much point in wasting your breath, if Smith scored 40 and had 90 points he would still find something to ***** about.

No team but Chicago has a 40+ goal guy on its second line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad