The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I know this is the negativity thread but I gotta ask- if you came across that article and it had us solidly in the playoffs, would you have posted it?? (Not in this thread but in observations)??

Any post I make is considered negative. It is rare that I post in observations anymore for that reason. I posted this because it is one thing I look at. The day to day in a playoff spot out of a playoff spot just influences those that do not look at the end product.

Im sure there will be those who will humbug hockey reference as a legit site. But they go further and sim the rest of the season and take into account strength of schedule left into there projections. I thought some might find it interesting.

My personal opinion is that we miss the playoffs by a greater margin than hockey reference indicates.

Got think about this DRW, this team currently has 24 wins out of 51 games or a win percentage of .470. WHy should we even be optimistic a sub .500 team to be in the playoffs. This is not NCAA Football where a .500 team is automatic to get a extra game. With 31 games left and a team that has struggled to win games back to back much less put a long winning streak together. It seems more productive to Look for roster moves rather than cling to a hope the current bunch can somehow produce a miracle. Rinne is one of my favorite players and I am glad he has somewhat found his game. But His clock is still ticking and it is a disservice in my opinion that he plays a game like the Blues game and the forwards do not do anything to produce a win.

Last edited:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Not even sure how that's negative. Still gives us over a 50% chance to make the playoffs. Same percentage as the Wild, less than 1% away from Colorado in the toughest division in the league.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Any post I make is considered negative. It is rare that I post in observations anymore for that reason. I posted this because it is one thing I look at. The day to day in a playoff spot out of a playoff spot just influences those that do not look at the end product.

Im sure there will be those who will humbug hockey reference as a legit site. But they go further and sim the rest of the season and take into account strength of schedule left into there projections. I thought some might find it interesting.

My personal opinion is that we miss the playoffs by a greater margin than hockey reference indicates.

Got think about this DRW, this team currently has 24 wins out of 51 games or a win percentage of .470. WHy should we even be optimistic a sub .500 team to be in the playoffs. This is not NCAA Football where a .500 team is automatic to get a extra game. With 31 games left and a team that has struggled to win games back to back much less put a long winning streak together. It seems more productive to Look for roster moves rather than cling to a hope the current bunch can somehow produce a miracle. Rinne is one of my favorite players and I am glad he has somewhat found his game. But His clock is still ticking and it is a disservice in my opinion that he plays a game like the Blues game and the forwards do not do anything to produce a win.

Byrd- I honestly was not trying to open a can of worms- I just figured that you would only have posted that projection if it had us out.

And for what it is worth- I think it's entirely possible that we miss the playoffs. But I won't be surprised at all if we do make it- even with our issues I do not think Colorado or Minnesota are better than us.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Byrd- I honestly was not trying to open a can of worms- I just figured that you would only have posted that projection if it had us out.

And for what it is worth- I think it's entirely possible that we miss the playoffs. But I won't be surprised at all if we do make it- even with our issues I do not think Colorado or Minnesota are better than us.

I don't see it as worms at all. Just as I do not see a 50% chance of making it in as a positive. Even if they happen to limp in again the first round against either Dallas or Chicago would do little more than add revenue to the owners. And would probably keep Poile in the conservative aspect of manning this team.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Can there actually be a "positive" connected with this season? Maybe we should just stick to hosting the All Star Game every year....
I get that our play has been disappointing, but you can't be serious? Acquiring Johansen alone makes this season a "win" on some level.

I seriously worry if this team ever truly becomes bad.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I get that our play has been disappointing, but you can't be serious? Acquiring Johansen alone makes this season a "win" on some level.

I seriously worry if this team ever truly becomes bad.

Point well taken. But Duke this team is pretty bad. Currently pacing 88 points, probably closer to 82 to 84 in reality. Last night a perfect example of what a one line team can get you on the best offensive night. As of this morning Vegas odds to make the playoffs 40%.

After the ASG the point where all can agree the playoff push starts this team has a 4 game home stand. Losses in the first two and the next two questionable at best. It is pretty evident that all those that claimed a 1C would put this team over the top were wrong. The construction of the offense combined with Lavi's system continues to fail. If they focus on a defensive style they can shut down teams and win close games. But when they open up like the last two games the whole team crumbles. 1 for 7 on the PP really against Steve frickin Mason. Including a 0 fer on the 4 minute major early. Failing on the major was the thing that broke them mentally last night. Followed a close second by allowing such easy goals immediately after we score. As has been pointed out odd man rushed ate our lunch. The only one that was understandable was the one when Weber broke the stick. The rest were just horrible plays by different individuals.

The bad things that happened against the Flyers have been occurring for a year now. Throwing Rinne under the bus as most are is short sighted. The system and poor decisions by non D playing forwards cost a whole lot of chances. And in odd man situations more times than not the puck is buried. Remember how upset we get when we fail to convert on an odd man rush. Im not saying Rinne is faultless he has and continues to be far below what we have seen him do in the past. But I think it was the Simmonds goal on the breakaway he stops the first shot and the rebound trickles out to get buried.

While I am not surprised of the teams struggles, last nights loss was even more frustrating. It appears Poile is done until the deadline and in the next two weeks we turn into sellers.

I guess I will end with a positive if we can win out we have a 31% chance of winning the presidents trophy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
1 for 7 on the PP really against Steve frickin Mason.

FYI, the Steve Mason playing in Philadelphia is much, much closer to the Mason who was neck-and-neck with Rinne for "best goalie in the league" in their debut seasons than the Mason who played three subsequent seasons for the Jackets.

While I am not surprised of the teams struggles, last nights loss was even more frustrating. It appears Poile is done until the deadline and in the next two weeks we turn into sellers.

I'm not sure what other assets we can realistically give up to do any significant buying with.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
FYI, the Steve Mason playing in Philadelphia is much, much closer to the Mason who was neck-and-neck with Rinne for "best goalie in the league" in their debut seasons than the Mason who played three subsequent seasons for the Jackets.

I'm not sure what other assets we can realistically give up to do any significant buying with.

Oh please Mason has had two years with 33 wins each his next highest is 24 wins. The only reason you can even compare him to Rinne was 08-09 33 wins and 10 shutouts. In 51 starts last year he had 18 wins, granted the Flyers are struggling and have been for some time but Mason is not even remotely in the top 20 tenders in the league now. That one year made a career for him.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Point well taken. But Duke this team is pretty bad. Currently pacing 88 points, probably closer to 82 to 84 in reality. Last night a perfect example of what a one line team can get you on the best offensive night. As of this morning Vegas odds to make the playoffs 40%.

After the ASG the point where all can agree the playoff push starts this team has a 4 game home stand. Losses in the first two and the next two questionable at best. It is pretty evident that all those that claimed a 1C would put this team over the top were wrong. The construction of the offense combined with Lavi's system continues to fail. If they focus on a defensive style they can shut down teams and win close games. But when they open up like the last two games the whole team crumbles. 1 for 7 on the PP really against Steve frickin Mason. Including a 0 fer on the 4 minute major early. Failing on the major was the thing that broke them mentally last night. Followed a close second by allowing such easy goals immediately after we score. As has been pointed out odd man rushed ate our lunch. The only one that was understandable was the one when Weber broke the stick. The rest were just horrible plays by different individuals.

The bad things that happened against the Flyers have been occurring for a year now. Throwing Rinne under the bus as most are is short sighted. The system and poor decisions by non D playing forwards cost a whole lot of chances. And in odd man situations more times than not the puck is buried. Remember how upset we get when we fail to convert on an odd man rush. Im not saying Rinne is faultless he has and continues to be far below what we have seen him do in the past. But I think it was the Simmonds goal on the breakaway he stops the first shot and the rebound trickles out to get buried.

I guess I will end with a positive if we can win out we have a 31% chance of winning the presidents trophy.

For once Byrd, I gotta say I agree with you. Especially the part about Rinne, blaming this on him is shortsighted, the fault is on the system. And the fact that this team can't score to save their lives so Rinne has to play lights out every night since not once has this team been able to bail Rinne out. Last night they focused more on offense, and the system broke down defensively. Rinne hasn't been as good as last season, but neither has the rest of the team. This is the true Nashville Predators.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
For once Byrd, I gotta say I agree with you. Especially the part about Rinne, blaming this on him is shortsighted, the fault is on the system. And the fact that this team can't score to save their lives so Rinne has to play lights out every night since not once has this team been able to bail Rinne out. Last night they focused more on offense, and the system broke down defensively. Rinne hasn't been as good as last season, but neither has the rest of the team. This is the true Nashville Predators.

Yes Rinne is not the elite goalie of a few years ago but he is still better than most starters out there when he is supported. The 4 game win streak points to that. He will hit a wall at some point I just can't believe hes there yet. He will and his contract will suck just as Weber will decline and that contract will suck. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yes Rinne is not the elite goalie of a few years ago but he is still better than most starters out there when he is supported. The 4 game win streak points to that. He will hit a wall at some point I just can't believe hes there yet. He will and his contract will suck just as Weber will decline and that contract will suck. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Yeah, Rinne may suck in the future but I just keep comparing him to Tim Thomas and Luongo. But yes, his contract will most likely look horrible for the last 1-2yrs. Fortunately, we don't have problems with the cap, at least from my perspective.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh please Mason has had two years with 33 wins each his next highest is 24 wins. The only reason you can even compare him to Rinne was 08-09 33 wins and 10 shutouts. In 51 starts last year he had 18 wins, granted the Flyers are struggling and have been for some time but Mason is not even remotely in the top 20 tenders in the league now. That one year made a career for him.

His win totals are low in Philadelphia because Philadelphia as a team utterly, thoroughly sucks. They've got arguably the worst blueline in the game right now. Consider looking at things like 5-on-5 SV%.

He's top-10 in the league.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
we would be tied with Chicago? they would have the tie breaker but that's about it. we will have to play great regardless of who we draw.

Exactly my point- is finishing 3rd in the central any better than WC1?? I don't think it is, especially since it may pull us into facing STL in Round 1. The way it is looking now, we stay in WC1 and we are pretty much guaranteed to face LA/Ana.

So unless we fall to WC2, losing these 2 games isn't the end of the world.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
yeah I'd prefer to stay where we are. 2 more wins out of the last 5 and we should be clear. 3 to be safe. hopefully rinne plays well this last stretch heading into the playoffs.

hockey diva

Lady Healer of Rohan
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
We haven't locked down that WC1 spot and the mild are now only 4 points behind us. And they are playing well unlike the crap show we have had the last 2 games. We can't seem to get it together when it really counts ever. We have backed into the playoffs how many times now? Missed out on a division title at least twice. :shakehead

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
our plsy the last two games is crap but frankly we needed a wakeup call to not be overconfident heading into the playoffs

if we keep bumbling these last 5 games, I'll be worried, but if we get back into form quickly then Im not worried

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
our plsy the last two games is crap but frankly we needed a wakeup call to not be overconfident heading into the playoffs

if we keep bumbling these last 5 games, I'll be worried, but if we get back into form quickly then Im not worried

This. I'd rather have a quick wake up call a few games ahead of the playoffs than in the playoffs.

My biggest concern at this point is injury. The last couple of games I saw both Johansen and Neal looking hurt but seem to be OK. Not sure what to make of what happened to Ellis last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad