OT: The Music Thread Part Six

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Regarding the Burritos, it's understandable you haven't listened to them. The "classic" lineup with Gram Parsons was here and gone practically in the blink of an eye. They lasted for two albums and that was it.

Regarding the Everly Brothers, I absolutely agree with you. Both were top-notch singers, and to top that off they had that "brother telepathy" going on that gave them that extra element. John and Paul were heavily influenced by the Everly Brothers, and I guarantee you that they would both agree with us wholeheartedly. A quick little side note: The Everlys' golden era was way before my time. I listen to lots of music at work, and many of my co-workers are older people who can't believe I listen to the Everlys. I just tell 'em that it all boils down to cool parents and good taste!

That's a nice song. Thank you.

As for Gram Parsons,

I have not listened to much of his music, though many trace the "laid back, country influenced soft rock of the early to mid 70s" to Parsons' work, and he is rightfully given credit for creating the genre of "country rock."

1677537248649.png

I seem to recall in reading Keith Richards' memoir that they were very good friends, sharing at least two habits. One good. The other, not.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
im starting to fall asleep before my 1030pm games now. lol.

And when one of the kids at work has a birthday, my cheerful rejoinder is, "It's all downhill from here."

There will be a point when they're about 30, and they'll go, "Gee, that was five years ago."

Then they'll be older and it will be, "You know, that was ten years ago."

When they reach their fifties, it will be, "Jesus Christ. That was thirty years ago!"

Again, as Bette David observed, correctly,

"Gettin' old ain't for sissies."

She also said "I'd like t' kiss you but I just washed my hair."

I stand by both sentiments.

Reactions: Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Win wasn't perfect. Sometimes you win ugly.

Not that it matters, but the word "perfect" is banned from my vocabulary.

My sister Patter uses it frequently, as a response to X or Y: "Perfect."

Captain Obvious learned a long time ago that very little is "perfect," not least himself. So he decided to discard the notion of striving for perfection.

This resolution has served him well.

Also, Master of the Verbose long ago struck the adjective "awesome" from his vocabulary as well. A, ah, perfectly good word ruined by promiscuous overuse,

Reactions: aguineapig

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Mistah Ungah

Mar 19, 2018
Amorica
I have not listened to much of his music, though many trace the "laid back, country I seem to recall in reading Keith Richards' memoir that they were very good friends, sharing at least two habits. One good. The other, not.
Indeed they were friends, and Keith credited "Wild Horses" to the influence of what Gram was doing (musically anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad