The most biased color comentators in the league

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Not that hard to do if you have Center Ice or ESPN+ (formerly nhl.tv). I know people who listen to the local announcers when their team plays on the road just to change things up. Even if they only watch their team play, they'd hear every team's broadcasters at least once every year. For those who watch more hockey it's pretty easy to tune into a bunch of random games and hear every broadcast. You could flip around in a single night and hit like 10+ and get a reasonable amount of time hearing them.
Sure but what's the likelihood of someone tuning in to every single US broadcast in a season long enough to determine that they're all terrible? Especially given the covid bubbles last season.

It's a broad claim made based on geography more than actual commentating.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
It makes sense to me that local broadcast colour analysts would be biased. If there is a 50/50 call, fans want their colour guy to see it from the team’s perspective vs the opponent.

that being said, the #1 colour guy is Ray Ferraro ainec.

Reactions: Derailed75

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Sure but what's the likelihood of someone tuning in to every single US broadcast in a season long enough to determine that they're all terrible? Especially given the covid bubbles last season.

It's a broad claim made based on geography more than actual commentating.

Fair to question their motivations behind their opinion, although I don't know why anyone really cares what someone thinks of the broadcasts. I just don't think it's a big deal to have listened to enough of the other broadcasts to formulate an opinion on them -- whether that's hating all of them, liking all of them, or liking some and not others or whatever.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Local networks should be full of bias otherwise what's the point?

Why would I want Philly casters saying nice things about Pittsburgh?

I think the color commentators' jobs should be geared towards the local team's fanbase of course and making it interesting for them and commentating more from a perspective of the local team. But I think play by play should be more focused on just accurately and succinctly calling the game with levels of excitement appropriate to the plays occurring, whether they benefit the local team or the opponent. A lot of the broadcasts double as radio broadcasts and some people watch while multi-tasking and you should be able to listen to the broadcast and understand what's going on in the game without looking at the screen, and also be able to listen to the announcers' excitement level for signs of when to look up and catch exciting plays. Over the top homerism from a play by play guy can take away from that considerably.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've never understood the complaint about bias. These guys are working for specific network/team market in most cases.

It's not like they're news reporters who have to retain impartiality for credibility and professionalism's sake.

Unfortunately not the case for some reporters :laugh:

I don't mind biased hometown guys, it's the bad biased ones.

Sawyer in Winnipeg is a bad, biased commentator, even when he's foaming at the mouth pro-Jets we still don't like him :eek:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I've never understood the complaint about bias. These guys are working for specific network/team market in most cases.

It's not like they're news reporters who have to retain impartiality for credibility and professionalism's sake.

This.

Because if there's one thing we can all appreciate about news reporters, it's how impartial and professional they can be.

.....:biglaugh:

70Stang

Feb 21, 2008
Not even close tv goes on mute when Gary Galley or Greg Millen are involved. NHL sue does an awful job marketing itself.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I feel like people never listen to Brickley at all and just lump him in as a bad announcer because he sits next to Edwards.

No kidding. On more than one occasion in this thread I see "Jack Edwards . . . oh wait he's not a color guy, Brickley then I guess."

Guilty by association I suppose.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Kelly Hrudey whines non stop about all the calls the Flames should have gotten.
and he also talks about how skilled the other teams are, the strong points of opposing teams. Hardly a homer.

You sure like to go out of your way at every opportunity to shit on the Flames. Are you lacking in attention in real life? I am available for hugs, hive fives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thndrstruck

Thndrstruck

Sep 3, 2011
Calgary
Not a colour commentator but the Flames radio PBP guy cried in air when the Avs eliminated them a few years back. He CRIED. Real tears. Said “sorry I’m crying here, but this team deserved more.” He cried! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Most embarrassing, unprofessional, homer shit I’ve ever heard in my life.

Not going to lie, I'm a Flames fan and I'm not a big fan. I grew up listening to Peter Maher and that could be why I'm not big on Derek Wills, but it is stuff like that I hate. His "Find-a-way Flames" call was brutally annoying after a couple seasons.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Stegerwald was easily the worst, most biased color guy I have ever heard.

Goring is definitely pretty insufferable.

Jack Edward's doesn't do color, but dude is the worst.

Honestly I find most teams broadcasts to be inoffensive and kind of boring. Most broadcasts sound like they have the same two boring dudes

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think the most biased commentators out there are (idk names so just listing teams)
Bruins (Edwards)
Avalanche

Voices I hate:
Oilers
Predators

Least biased:
Kings

Hurricanes
Capitals
You're shitting me. Add the Ducks to the bottom list too both are homers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad