The Michael McCarron Thread - Part III : Biggerer, Strongerer and Meanerer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Feels like we just drafted Latendresse again with some of these comments...

Why must we have that debate every year? Lats was just another Benoit Pouliot. Too weak mentally to develop to his full potential.

Last year, we had a majority saying Chuckie should go back to Sarnia and that we should not risk Lats-ing him. Each prospect is different.

Having said that, there is no spot for McCarron anyway so the point is moot. One can only dream he could become another Keith Primeau. Don't flame me for saying that. ;)

I don't remember seeing so many promising prospects with virtually no roster spots available. I hope MB ships some of the vets for picks at the deadline no matter what our position is. Sens have been doing that and it's the right way to build a contender.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

How can this guy never be a regular NHLer? He has all the tools to be a special player, now it's just a matter of time before he plays in the NHL, whether it's on a 4th or 3rd.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'm not sure it matters how well he looks in the exxy games. Encouraging if he does real well, absolutely. But I think his ticket is already punched for London

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I like the Turner Stevenson and Keith Primeau comparisons. Somehow I think he ends up somewhere in between those two ie better than Stevenson less than Primeau.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Its just preseason but due t the lack of toughness I could see therrien gamble on kccarron since he loves to shape the kids in the system ans is quite patient.

A 3th line of
Bourque - Briere - McCaron (could be interesting within limited minutes)

While 3 others :
1 Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
2 Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagaher
4 Moen - Prust - Parros

Yeah there is a player missing... or shipped out whatever..
Btw thats really really unlikely... but seing our big big lack of size i wouldnt mind.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Hey Grant,

I have a couple of questions regarding McCarron. You were high on him before the Habs drafted him and your comments seem to be justified. Having seen McCarron play a little bit this camp, his overall skill set, especially his defensive game,are very well polished for his age, much more than advertised pre-draft. I'd say his offensive awareness is a little bit above average too, especially for a guy his size. You'd expect more offense to come from crashing and banging, but McCarron has some skill and the type of vision you want from that type of player.

Considering that, what was scaring scouts from going after McCarron earlier in the draft? Looking at him play so far, he doesn't seem as much as a project as advertised before being selected. I'm just curious. Was it needs? Were scouts looking to gamble on players with higher ceilings?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Hey Grant,

I have a couple of questions regarding McCarron. You were high on him before the Habs drafted him and your comments seem to be justified. Having seen McCarron play a little bit this camp, his overall skill set, especially his defensive game,are very well polished for his age, much more than advertised pre-draft. I'd say his offensive awareness is a little bit above average too, especially for a guy his size. You'd expect more offense to come from crashing and banging, but McCarron has some skill and the type of vision you want from that type of player.

Considering that, what was scaring scouts from going after McCarron earlier in the draft? Looking at him play so far, he doesn't seem as much as a project as advertised before being selected. I'm just curious. Was it needs? Were scouts looking to gamble on players with higher ceilings?

It was a deep draft, and he was a bit of a projection to some teams. Didn't light it up last season, so there were some concerns with some teams regarding his upside. There were 40 and 50 goal CHL scorers picked in the 20's....a deep draft without question.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Anyone disagree that McCarron should be given a chance to start this year? I'm thinking as many per-season games as possible and up to the first 9 regular season games to see if he can effectively fill that RW spot on the second line with Pleks and Bourque?

If he can't handle it then we send him to the Hunters for grooming in the OHL.

It's not really a bad option I don't think cause frankly he's not too far away from playing in the NHL and he can get better on the job. Worse case scenario we let him develop more in the OHL after the 9th game.

His job is to make it tough on the habs to cut him. He had one solid preseason game and he will need to continue that type of play as the exhibition season rolls along. Its still a long shot because the rosters will begin to take shape, and he will find the competition stiffer as we go along. But I already like what I saw from him

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hey Grant,

I've probably said this a million times but I'm really shocked at how skilled he is and as you said 'polished' all around. He can skate, forechecks really well. So far he seems too good to be true.

I think he can turn into a bit of a steal.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
I'd say I'm 100% against it. Give him a full year in the OHL and if he makes it impossible to not send down next year then give him a look. Otherwise I'd say 2, maybe 3 years.

MB and his brain trust will know what's best.

If he were a local boy, the pressure would be huge to keep him.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
I thought it would be a good idea to keep this thread up during the season. After all, he's bound to have a great season with the knights. 1 goal 1 fight if I read twitter right!

hogtownhabsfan*

McCarron is growing on me. No doubt though that there is plenty of growth in his game still to make.

Hoping to see him get 30ish goals, PPG type points, and lots of scraps under his belt.

He really does need to learn how to fight. No doubt he's big and willing though.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I thought it would be a good idea to keep this thread up during the season. After all, he's bound to have a great season with the knights. 1 goal 1 fight if I read twitter right!

Check out the prospects thread. THAT usually posts videos and quick recaps of many of out prospects.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Why must we have that debate every year? Lats was just another Benoit Pouliot. Too weak mentally to develop to his full potential.

Last year, we had a majority saying Chuckie should go back to Sarnia and that we should not risk Lats-ing him. Each prospect is different.

Having said that, there is no spot for McCarron anyway so the point is moot. One can only dream he could become another Keith Primeau. Don't flame me for saying that. ;)

I don't remember seeing so many promising prospects with virtually no roster spots available. I hope MB ships some of the vets for picks at the deadline no matter what our position is. Sens have been doing that and it's the right way to build a contender.

When I think of possible comparisons for a future PWF to lead the team, two names come to mind;

1) Bob Gainey - a player that had no comparison as a defensive forward "Shutdown Expert" - not Mike McCarron.

2) Mike MacPhee - seems the closest comparison that I can think of in recent history. If McCarron is like MacPhee then too he will resemble both the Hunter brothers which is Capital and a keeper in my boat. :handclap:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Michael McCarron ‏@MacAttackUSA93 55 min
Hey @geniebouchard next time I'm in Montreal lets hang out!!

I don't think he's her type.

Eugenie Bouchard ‏@geniebouchard 1 h
Hey @justinbieber I'm in Beijing too

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Michael McCarron ‏@MacAttackUSA93 55 min
Hey @geniebouchard next time I'm in Montreal lets hang out!!

I don't think he's her type.

Eugenie Bouchard ‏@geniebouchard 1 h
Hey @justinbieber I'm in Beijing too

She's cute at least. McCarron has better taste in women than Leblanc. Canadiens drafting gets better every year ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad