The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I honestly don't think most people would see it that way. Why would he tell Benning to proceed in bad faith negotiations (string him along/ignore him) with a heart and soul Canuck? What does he gain from that? To push him to a division rival? To add black mark on his franchise? At most, Benning told him he was going for bigger fish and Aq approved.

This is 100% on Benning's incompetence, and being unable to concentrate on more than one thing (OEL) at a time.

so one vote for the idea aqualini had no control over benning, and had to helplessly sit back while all the decisions and actions the players are mad about played out. or do you think aqualini didn't notice?

i mean everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i have a different view on where the buck stops in that place and who sets the tone.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Its unreal to me some folk are willing to absolve the GM of the team of nearly all responsibilities after 7 years on the job.

It boggles the mind especially in light of the constant “but Gillis” excuses over the years.

wild.

i think benning deserves to be fired. who do you perceive is defending him?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This tweet is true and it hurts.

Actually it’s wrong because when you do the math we will be downgrading in a few areas next year depending on how much we have to pay demko,petersson,Hughes.

though it’s looking like 7 mil for pettersson and Hughes is realistic.

demko is the hard one; how much is this team or him the reason for his numbers. But still a 2 year 3mil per deal is realistic

Reactions: y2kcanucks

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This tweet is true and it hurts.

from what i see, $6m for beagle and roussel, just under $5m for eriksson's buried contract, and a little over $3m for luongo. those are the sunk costs.

we have $8m coming off the books for pearson and sutter and another $8m for edler and benn.

up front, assume gaudette and bailey get much in the way of a raise, podkolzin makes the team, and graduate one more guy (lind, gadjovich, or whoever), and pearson/sutter's vacated cap space goes to petey's raise.

on d, if your 4-7 are some combo of OJ, chatfield, rafferty, rathbone, and possibly woo and nobody gets a raise, then edler/benn's vacated cap goes to hughes' raise.

that leaves demko needing a raise, so i think you're going to have to give virtanen to seattle to take holtby and pray they take it.

that leaves you probably with somewhere between one and three million (depending on what happens to the cap) to, god help you, improve the d.

man oh man that ~$9m we don't have to be spending on beagle/roussel/eriksson could go a long way.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The team wasn't on the rise. They should have been on the rise, but realistically they had these same problems last year but had a goalie who masked these problems.

Looked.
Seemed.

I consider the suckage last year better than the crud from years prior, and especially the utter and pure foulness of rotton fish and sewage we are seeing now. They were at least scoring and not getting blown out.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
from what i see, $6m for beagle and roussel, just under $5m for eriksson's buried contract, and a little over $3m for luongo. those are the sunk costs.

we have $8m coming off the books for pearson and sutter and another $8m for edler and benn.

up front, assume gaudette and bailey get much in the way of a raise, podkolzin makes the team, and graduate one more guy (lind, gadjovich, or whoever), and pearson/sutter's vacated cap space goes to petey's raise.

on d, if your 4-7 are some combo of OJ, chatfield, rafferty, rathbone, and possibly woo and nobody gets a raise, then edler/benn's vacated cap goes to hughes' raise.

that leaves demko needing a raise, so i think you're going to have to give virtanen to seattle to take holtby and pray they take it.

that leaves you probably with somewhere between one and three million (depending on what happens to the cap) to, god help you, improve the d.

man oh man that ~$9m we don't have to be spending on beagle/roussel/eriksson could go a long way.

And then the season after that we have to sign boeser lol

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The current management team has demonstrated their profound incompetence and a shocking unwillingness to change. Ownership hollowed out the organization a centralized power around that small team that now needs to go. The coach is on the last year of his deal. The search for a President of Hockey Ops should have started and the emphasis on the current year abandoned in Canucks nation. A rebuild in the front office is the only thing that matters, anything else is a distraction and a complete waste of time.

It's shocking this group was given 6 and a half years.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The team wasn't on the rise. They should have been on the rise, but realistically they had these same problems last year but had a goalie who masked these problems.

If you looked at the underlying numbers last year, they clearly were not on the rise.

If you watched the games, they clearly were not on the rise.

If you listened to the 650 radio broadcast, all you would hear for the first few minutes was Batche repeating "what a save by Marky, and another!" and about 5 minutes into the game Hirshy and Batche commenting on how without Marky the Canucks would already be in a deep hole.

And then just before the pandemic was declared and the season suspended, as the Canucks were already plummeting out of playoff contention for the 5th season in a row, losing what, 8 of their last 11 or whatever it was, the Canucks put Marky on LTIR.

And announce Tanev is week to week.

They proceed to heal for several months, then meet MIN - a team that was looking to sell at the TDL, having come to the conclusion that they are not a contender. They did get rid of assets for futures a few weeks before the TDL as well.

The then meet STL, who has lost a top4 D in Bouwmeester, their top winger in Tarasenko, and the team couldn't even practice properly because they had been ravaged by Covid.

Then Vegas destroys us, the only thing stopping it from being a complete rout was Vezina level goaltending from Marky until he went down to injuty, and then a once in a lifetime goaltending performance from Demko.

With Benning effing up royally yet again, we lose Marky, Tanev, Stecher, Tofu and Leivo for nothing.

Nothing.

And with a brutal schedule from the NHL, and essentially ignoring the use of the (no doubt deep /s) taxi squad, the lipstick has finally worn off the pig (not Hogs).

But anyone who saw anything other than a pig this past half decade should give their heads a shake.

No matter how much lipstick. Looking at you, iMac.

i479037-9164240383464533899.jpg

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Of course, instead of them signing Horvat to a deal where he would still be a RFA, he is in fact, a UFA at the end of his current contract. This means they will be under pressure sign him for ++++ or trade him.

They just keep putting themselves in these positions.

The list is seemingly endless.

Reactions: MarkMM

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Of course, instead of them signing Horvat to a deal where he would still be a RFA, he is in fact, a UFA at the end of his current contract. This means they will be under pressure sign him for ++++ or trade him.

The Canucks are going to need to rebuild the faulty retool Benning did, so I don't think Horvat really has a longterm place on this team. Same with JT Miller.

IMO the longterm core pieces are Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser. Anyone else should be moved for the right price (Horvat/Miller obviously the price should be fairly high). We need to use the next 2-3 years to clear the crap contracts Benning signed and rebuild the foundation of this team.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Its unreal to me some folk are willing to absolve the GM of the team of nearly all responsibilities after 7 years on the job.

It boggles the mind especially in light of the constant “but Gillis” excuses over the years.

wild.

Hey dude, don't be so hard on him. Gillis left bare shelves stocked only with a young #1 G, #1 C, top pairing entering their prime, elite #2 C, #6 overall pick, good 2nd pairing, and a great third line. How is anyone expect to make that work when the Sedins would only be able to play for another few years on the top line?

It wasn't pretty what Jim was left with, but he has worked the phones and he's doing his best to turn this team around because he knows this city will not accept a rebuild or losing hockey.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There's a lot of talk about the worst contracts on this team, but what about the best?

Our top 6 players (Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Demko) combined earn about $19.5M or 24% of the cap.

By comparison, the top 6 players for Tampa earn $48.875M (60% of the cap), Colorado: $30.5M (38% of the cap), Vegas: $38.5M (47% of the cap). The Canucks have a monster advantage over these other teams in that we have our best players on cheap contracts. The Canucks are also spending to the cap. So it's very clear that the players they brought in to fill out the rest of the team are what's wrong with this team. And who is responsible for that?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
There's a lot of talk about the worst contracts on this team, but what about the best?

Our top 6 players (Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Demko) combined earn about $19.5M or 24% of the cap.

By comparison, the top 6 players for Tampa earn $48.875M (60% of the cap), Colorado: $30.5M (38% of the cap), Vegas: $38.5M (47% of the cap). The Canucks have a monster advantage over these other teams in that we have our best players on cheap contracts. The Canucks are also spending to the cap. So it's very clear that the players they brought in to fill out the rest of the team are what's wrong with this team. And who is responsible for that?

dude get that math shit outta here, nerd.

back in my day eggheads stayed out of sports and played video games in your room where you belonged

you can't put compete, hustle, or grit in your formulas lol

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Most Every UFA Benning recruits is turning out poorly. Even signings like Hamonic and Holtby are turning into nightmares.

With their cap space they could have simply signed Tanev and a journeyman back up but Holtby was brought in to be a difference maker and though I think he is a decent keeper, few keepers would make a difference to the defensive sieve Green employs.

4 years and counting of this: The numbers back up what your eyes see: Canucks' defence is a big problem | The Journal Pioneer

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

the collective bargaining agreement that limits ELCs is responsible for that.

i think the consistent criticism over the last couple of years has been the longterm albatross contracts wasting the ELCs of our good players?

i mean, sure it's great that those six players combine to cost just under $20m, but next year they will collectively cost more than colorado's.

Reactions: xtra

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

I mean it’s kinda hard to count ELCs for high picks as good contracts. You litreally can’t give them anything else. All he had to choose was between the bonus packages to give him.

the other 4 I agree with though with Dennis results right now it’s not a slam dunk contract

Reactions: I am toxic

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I really don’t understand why people can’t believe this can be some sort of response of the players over the actions of the organization. “Give an example!” they say. Well there are countless examples of a player or two requesting trades and quitting on teams. You saw one a couple weeks ago do just that in Columbus. It wasn’t just a Torts thing. You see players moved because they didn’t get along with teammates. Etc.

Do I think they are tanking on purpose? No. But I can easily believe the attention to detail, focus and motivation to do those things has waned.

Players fail to get signed all the time. They don’t end up pissed and angry at an organization except every now and then (and often it’s a player woe is me act). Toffoli clearly upset with how things happened. Tanev upset and hurt. We had reports on this board it was the same with Stecher. So yes I can easily see the Canuck players being negatively impacted by the shenanigans of the off season. Friends and teammates are no longer there and it was done in an unprofessional manner. Worse was based on comments the management did not communicate with the remaining players well either.

It doesn’t provide a lot of motivation to give that extra effort when if the boss is an asshole and treating your co-workers like shit and you like some meaningless peon. And the NHL is all about extra effort.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Didn't they also burn a year off Boeser and Hughes for a handful of games to save their jobs? At the expense of the team actually contending for a Cup.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The Canucks are going to need to rebuild the faulty retool Benning did, so I don't think Horvat really has a longterm place on this team. Same with JT Miller.

IMO the longterm core pieces are Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser. Anyone else should be moved for the right price (Horvat/Miller obviously the price should be fairly high). We need to use the next 2-3 years to clear the crap contracts Benning signed and rebuild the foundation of this team.

I would add Hogs and Demko to the keeper list. Not so much that they are necessarily core (I hope they get there) but I doubt any return would be better.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would add Hogs and Demko to the keeper list. Not so much that they are necessarily core (I hope they get there) but I doubt any return would be better.
I know Podzilla hasn’t played for us yet, but I’d say he’s a keeper too. Not necessarily a core piece, but a heck of a good support player on an elc. Do we have any (good) young up and coming D?

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad