The Loss of Broberg and Holloway Gripe Thread

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well since it's still somewhat fresh and it's obviously pissed off a lot of people here's a thread to keep this discussion in so that it doesn't spill into other threads.

My take is that Broberg can f*** right off and keep on f***ing off. He never had the stones to come in here and earn a job in camp based on his play and then demanded a trade. He wasn't the player that he was in the playoffs for us at any point prior to that and obviously needed that extra time in Bako whether he wants to admit it or not. Food for him that he's off to a good start. We'll see how he does once other teams start to get the book on him and playing him physical consistently.

For Holloway he likely thought that he was a big enough piece that we'd match him and well that didn't exactly work out for him. I liked the player but it is what it is.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
1725936440094560.jpg

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I'm more upset at Holloway, it was less than a million. But from his POV, the Oilers went out and got a few wingers that were blocking his upward mobility.

The biggest issue is why the Oilers did not see this coming when on HFboards we were worried about offersheets on July 1st. They clearly did not factor it, or they believed skinner and arvy were worth losing the other pieces. Either way it was a clear mistake by jackson, and it hurt us

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'm more upset at Holloway, it was less than a million. But from his POV, the Oilers went out and got a few wingers that were blocking his upward mobility.

The biggest issue is why the Oilers did not see this coming when on HFboards we were worried about offersheets on July 1st. They clearly did not factor it, or they believed skinner and arvy were worth losing the other pieces. Either way it was a clear mistake by jackson, and it hurt us
The oilers are in win now mode. Paying youth was never in the books.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The oilers are in win now mode. Paying youth was never in the books.
Seems to me several clubs that have won SC's have youth and ELC's in their lineups and often even taking on a significant role. I don't get this its one or the other and that only vets can play for contenders.

I don't follow either how the players that the Oilers obtained in offseason connote more to win now mode than the players they lost. Indeed several of the players they lost had strong SC finals.

Reactions: Duke74

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Broberg was never gonna stay. Wish we kept Holloway at least.
That's as plainly as I'd put it.

Wonder if we will do the same offersheet and target STL Joel Hofer though.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Seems to me several clubs that have won SC's have youth and ELC's in their lineups and often even taking on a significant role. I don't get this its one or the other and that only vets can play for contenders.

I don't follow either how the players that the Oilers obtained in offseason connote more to win now mode than the players they lost. Indeed several of the players they lost had strong SC finals.

Yeah I don't know where this idea came from that the lineup has to have vets up and down the lineup. It's a cap world and ELC/Young hungry players on cheap contracts is how teams stay competitive. Always said that we should let some of our prospects have a shot on the 4th line/3rd pairing over the usual disappointers. Apparently management still disagrees with that sentiment, even though everyone else does it. Another "we are smarter than everyone else in the league" mindset.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK

The only way it makes sense that Broberg or Holloway were neither signed or traded at an unsigned RFA discount was that Jackson played hardball with them thinking that barging bin UFAs were going to be available. Jackson left it up to the UFA market to decide whether to pay up on the RFAs later or to continue playing hardball with them despite the risk of offersheets. Someone being clever instead of treating players like people and alienating them. Something like that, wtf do I know about Jackson's brain.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Wait a couple games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah I don't know where this idea came from that the lineup has to have vets up and down the lineup. It's a cap world and ELC/Young hungry players on cheap contracts is how teams stay competitive. Always said that we should let some of our prospects have a shot on the 4th line/3rd pairing over the usual disappointers. Apparently management still disagrees with that sentiment, even though everyone else does it. Another "we are smarter than everyone else in the league" mindset.
For sure. In playoffs last year seems like the teams that gave us some problems, Vancouver, Dallas, they had some youth in lineup, and In Dallas that youth transformed what that club was doing last season and playoffs and became big contributing parts of the club. Without the youth movement in Dallas they are first round fodder.

Somewhere along the line this org fairly abandoned development and went instead with an accrual of NHL vets strategy. Partly wonder whether its a vestige of the times the Oilers were a have not club and always went up against loaded vet teams precap. Strange thought but we now seem to be that team having nothing but vets in lineups. We're like the longtooth Dallas Stars of the late 90's now

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Except they weren’t cap relief. They could have been but choose not to.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Well since it's still somewhat fresh and it's obviously pissed off a lot of people here's a thread to keep this discussion in so that it doesn't spill into other threads.

My take is that Broberg can f*** right off and keep on f***ing off. He never had the stones to come in here and earn a job in camp based on his play and then demanded a trade. He wasn't the player that he was in the playoffs for us at any point prior to that and obviously needed that extra time in Bako whether he wants to admit it or not. Food for him that he's off to a good start. We'll see how he does once other teams start to get the book on him and playing him physical consistently.

For Holloway he likely thought that he was a big enough piece that we'd match him and well that didn't exactly work out for him. I liked the player but it is what it is.
Just coming here to thank you for creating the thread!

Now I’m running away from this thread.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Except they weren’t cap relief. They could have been but choose not to.

While that's true to some extent, it doesn't help that management put other wingers/D over them. If there was any good chance to actually give them a shot with a good contract rather than let them slip to offer sheet, was before players like Arviddson were signed. Holland is notorious for letting prospects cook for a lot longer than they should and it kind of came back on us in a terrible way. Broberg should have been getting limited minutes on the bottom pair last year, but was still jostled in the AHL and limited callups. At that point would have been best to get a small contract going with him.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
While that's true to some extent, it doesn't help that management put other wingers/D over them. If there was any good chance to actually give them a shot with a good contract rather than let them slip to offer sheet, was before players like Arviddson were signed. Holland is notorious for letting prospects cook for a lot longer than they should and it kind of came back on us in a terrible way. Broberg should have been getting limited minutes on the bottom pair last year, but was still jostled in the AHL and limited callups. At that point would have been best to get a small contract going with him.
So you think management shouldn’t try to make the team better? Best thing to do with Broberg is to trade him when he asked.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
So you think management shouldn’t try to make the team better? Best thing to do with Broberg is to trade him when he asked.

I don't think it's as simple as trade him or don't. I think a good GM should sit down with his prospects and discuss what they expect out of him and what his role is for the team, something I don't think happened a lot with them, since they seemed to feel so jaded about the team. Not 100% blame on the management mind you, but it's ultimately the call of the GM to make sure these things are smoothed out, which I don't think Holland did. Which is strange, because Broberg was HIS first draft pick here. But like I said, Holland's weakness is to let young players marinate a bit too long and that mentality ultimately came back to hurt us.

And no, I didn't say GM's shouldn't make the team better, just that it seems too little due diligence was done with our home grown, high pick prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad