The leafs on Prime Monday night

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I had no idea this game was on Prime until seeing this thread. I guess I have to start paying more attention.

I have Prime and Centerice. I'm not sure though why the games on Prime aren't offered as part of the Centerice package (I mean, I know why...lol). The 64 000 question -- would I buy Prime for 5 Leafs games? No. But I do quite a bit of shopping on Amazon (I hate stores) so it's kind of moot.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I had no idea this game was on Prime until seeing this thread. I guess I have to start paying more attention.

I have Prime and Centerice. I'm not sure though why the games on Prime aren't offered as part of the Centerice package (I mean, I know why...lol). The 64 000 question -- would I buy Prime for 5 Leafs games? No. But I do quite a bit of shopping on Amazon (I hate stores) so it's kind of moot.
Honestly, I think Prime is a pretty good deal given that you get same or next day delivery, Amazon Music, Amazon Prime tv, Amazon photos (although I have no idea if I even use it), etc. The movie selection on Amazon prime is generally terrible, but I imagine they will continue to get more live sporting events, so I think it is a good subscription to have.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
This is exactly what Apple did with MLB Baseball and their "Friday Night Baseball". I have not given in to paying for AppleTV+ just got watch 6 Jays games. I have either not watched, listened on the radio or found a stream.

As for Prime, I already pay for the shopping convenience of fast shipping, so this is a bonus for now and I will definitely take advantage. I took a peek at the Pens/Habs game last week and was impressed with the quality even on a 1080p TV vs Sportsnet/TSN apps on my FireTV.

I think we have to get used to this going forward, with streaming services that will be bidding for more sports. Amazon will likely be the 3rd player in the next NHL rights deal as Rogers will for sure step back from their national broadcast righsholder, I'm not sure that it will be an 3 way even split because that would be a shock, but I would expect Amazon to push for more rights for Canada as well as the US.

One thing I would suggest is to try to download the Prime Video app on your smart tv or other streaming device like Chromecast or Roku, as when I tried the other game in a browser window, it was not a 60fps stream, but rather choppy 30fps, at least in FireFox. Could be better in Chrome or other Chrome based browsers but I don't use that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Rogers selling the Monday night package to Amazon has been talked about on the main bards and in particular the Business of Hocky boards since it first came to light in March or so of this year.

The games are not part of the Centre ICe package because they are national games and the Centre Ice package does not include national games.

The Prime games will also mot be available on Sportsnet+ Premium, because it only includes national games on Rogers.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I don't know about you but iam really pissed off about this.
Leaf Nation gives enough money to the NHL . Now they it feels like Prime is holding us hostage to get the subscription

i DONT NEED MORE TV FOR ONE GAME and spend more money.
I feel sorry for people on a fixed income that can't afford all of this crap.

Rogers just spent billions and billions of dollars to buy MLSE but they allow a streaming to steal a game from them .
I feel like this is just the beginning.

I could see Prime using there fee to watch playoff hockey

If another games is on Prime I will be dumping rogers internet cell and cable.

Will sign up for Prime , sportsner and tsn on my fire stick and getting a cheaper internet service.

Rogers is the loser in all of this , they are a stupid organization.

Sorry for the rant but this really pissed me off.

Far be it for me to defend Rogers, who I despise, but did you ever stop to consider that the league made the deal and then forced teams to participate?

I finally gave in on Saturday and got Sling. Feels like a waste of money but I can’t handle refreshing streams 75x per game anymore.

What is Sling?

M21

Oct 10, 2021
Worth it to not have to listen to Cuthbert and Simpson. The only “home” broadcast that talks more about the opposing team than the “home” team.

• Love
Reactions: OddyOh

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't like this because it makes people that really want to watch all the games pay more. So SN and Amazon can F themselves. I ain't paying for this shit. I will do something else with my time. I don't have to watch every single game.

I prefer the efficient corporate overlords to host hockey games over the incompetent Canadian billionaires

Then they should decide on one platform. Why should consumers pay for different platforms if they want to catch all the games? It was all on SN and some on TSN, now we have to pay more if we want to watch on Prime? Make it easier on consumers.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
All I know is the NHL is trying to grow the game and they do everything to not grow the game.
It’s odd that it’s only on Amazon Canada. You’re not make it more available by limiting it to fans that already know about the sports. The NFL makes their Amazon game available across the globe and it’s advertised every time you open the App.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't like this because it makes people that really want to watch all the games pay more. So SN and Amazon can F themselves. I ain't paying for this shit. I will do something else with my time. I don't have to watch every single game.

Then they should decide on one platform. Why should consumers pay for different platforms if they want to catch all the games? It was all on SN and some on TSN, now we have to pay more if we want to watch on Prime? Make it easier on consumers.
With all due respect, but how necessary is it to catch all the games?

I love the Leafs as much as the next person, but if I've seen TOR play all 82 games (plus playoffs) there's definitely a problem. Sometimes you work. Sometimes you're traveling. Sometimes you're with your friends/family. Sometimes TOR has an off night and you wish you never tuned-in the first place.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Can't wait for tonight's game. Sportsnet Now has one of the worst apps I've ever seen, terrible on Nvidia Shield, terrible casting and just average on smart TVs. Also one of the rare paid apps with advertising.

Hard to believe but it makes you miss Centre Ice...

Reactions: OddyOh

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Can't wait for tonight's game. Sportsnet Now has one of the worst apps I've ever seen, terrible on Nvidia Shield, terrible casting and just average on smart TVs. Also one of the rare paid apps with advertising.

Hard to believe but it makes you miss Centre Ice...
The SN+ app seems to work better on PS5. It is very slow on my native Android TV OS.

• Love
Reactions: HogTown06

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
With all due respect, but how necessary is it to catch all the games?

I love the Leafs as much as the next person, but if I've seen TOR play all 82 games (plus playoffs) there's definitely a problem. Sometimes you work. Sometimes you're traveling. Sometimes you're with your friends/family. Sometimes TOR has an off night and you wish you never tuned-in the first place.

Well, that's what I am saying. We don't have to watch all the games. So Amazon and SN can go on a long walk off a short pier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad