When Will McDrai Pull Their Collective Heads Out of Their Asses?

When Do McDrai Get Going?

• It all starts in their next game

• At around the 10 game mark

• At around the 20 game mark

• At around the 30 game mark

• Around Mid-season

• After the All-Star Break

• Right before the playoffs

• They aren't getting there this season, something is clearly off

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
These things are interconnected though ... you can't expect 2 players (primarily 1 really) to do everything for the team and be balls to the wall 110% for a full 82-game season and fairly lengthy playoff stretches when they don't get much help from their management.

The management teams for this franchise do a whole lot of f*** all and as such haven't built as good of rosters as they should have.

They win a trade like once every 5 years maybe, draft someone good who actually makes a difference in wins/losses like once every 7-10 years, 10 years into McDavid's tenure and they still can't find a really reliable starting goalie the team can lean on during tough times. We're making due with a starter who in all honesty is probably not much if at all better than the AHL call up (Pickard) who is his back up.

Largely basically all but 2 of the impact players on the roster are because of lottery balls or picks in the top 10.

You can't expect everything to go 100% right when the management side of the franchise is not pulling their weight. They should have brought a lot more to the table to build a more complete roster so that it could weather stretches where McDavid doesn't have it going.

Oh I'm not expecting anything from anyone on this team until mid November. Sure they're going to have their games here and there. Especially those Dallas games where they "visually" look good and accomplish sweet sweet f*** all. but I don't expect any of them to really "Put their shit together" until they feel the necessity amount of guilt/urgency or whatever it is.

I'm not blaming or expecting anything from McDavid more than anyone else. He's just another casualty/victim of whatever it is that makes them play like a giant pile of dogshit early in seasons and playoff series.

And I'm definitely not giving management a pass. I'm saying we have to wait to evaluate this team until they get their collective shit together. And that doesn't happen until Mid November. Maybe it doesn't happen until the coach gets shit canned. They weren't that good in 2021-2022 until Tippet got canned after 44 games.

I'm hoping it's just second pre season.
If I'm Knoblauch though I'd be a bit nervous. They have demonstrated in the past with two coaches that they tend to get comfortable really quick. And they may not pull the trigger on Knoblauch in time to recover IF this is the case with the team.

I just don't believe for a minute that McDavid, Draisitl, RNH, Hyman can't piss a drop to start the season because Emberson or Stetcher replaced Ceci and Denault. Or that Skinner and Arvidson can't make up for the loss of Mcleod, Foegle, etc.

This is just who they are. I don't believe they're thinking.. f*** this I'm not trying until November. I think they don't know how to bring their required focus and level of play without a level of guilt and urgency.

I will say this though. McDavis is at ppg pace, Draisitl on 40g pace. But they have not looked good to me. Not with knowing what they're capable of and quite honestly paid for. They're just good enough that their poor games result in points. Hyman and RNH just aren't that good.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They went to the finals back to back and were capable of starting on time both times.

The whole hangover/short summer thing for the Oilers holds as much water as a strainer.
EC clubs manage to do this commonly. No such thing occurs out of the WC. WC playoffs are harder. WC seasons and travel are generally harder toll on clubs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The bottom line is that neither the top dogs nor the big dogs are getting it done. What separates the two groups is that the one group is paid to be the elite of the elite. people shit on RNH and based on his play this year I get it. But he took a reasonable deal to stay on while guys like Leon and Darnell took the bag. They all need to be better but we aren't winning shit without McDrai being 1.3-1.5+ point per game players.
No team I know of ever has as much a proportion of their pts through just two players than the Oilers do. That McD and Drai have done their part I think isn't even up to debate. As Spawn mentioned were paying a handful of players the same amount to get far less done, and to do far less in role.

When teams with superstars do win the cup is often because some players in a supporting role rise up to be over and above contributions. One can think if Nic in Colorado having a banner playoffs one year or Hyman elevating the team last year and playoffs. Teams need those players rising above expectation and their pay. The top players in league get excessive marking and double teaming. It often falls on others to cash in contributing to goals, production. Last couple seasons we were getting that. Not so much now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh I'm not expecting anything from anyone on this team until mid November. Sure they're going to have their games here and there. Especially those Dallas games where they "visually" look good and accomplish sweet sweet f*** all. but I don't expect any of them to really "Put their shit together" until they feel the necessity amount of guilt/urgency or whatever it is.

I'm not blaming or expecting anything from McDavid more than anyone else. He's just another casualty/victim of whatever it is that makes them play like a giant pile of dogshit early in seasons and playoff series.

And I'm definitely not giving management a pass. I'm saying we have to wait to evaluate this team until they get their collective shit together. And that doesn't happen until Mid November. Maybe it doesn't happen until the coach gets shit canned. They weren't that good in 2021-2022 until Tippet got canned after 44 games.

If I'm Knoblauch though I'd be a bit nervous. They have demonstrated in the past with two coaches that they tend to get comfortable really quick. And they may not pull the trigger on Knoblauch in time to recover IF this is the case with the team.

I just don't believe for a minute that McDavid, Draisitl, RNH, Hyman can't piss a drop to start the season because Emberson or Stetcher replaced Ceci and Denault. Or that Skinner and Arvidson can't make up for the loss of Mcleod, Foegle, etc.

This is just who they are. I don't believe they're thinking.. f*** this I'm not trying until November. I think they don't know how to bring their required focus and level of play without a level of guilt and urgency.

I will say this though. McDavis is at ppg pace, Draisitl on 40g pace. But they have not looked good to me. Not with knowing what they're capable of and quite honestly paid for. They're just good enough that their poor games result in points. Hyman and RNH just aren't that good.

I know this will be mind blowing to some Oiler fans but other teams' superstars are not great 100% of the season.

MacKinnon isn't, Makar isn't, Matthews certainly isn't.

Even Wayne and Mario would struggle under that kind of expectation, Gretzky played on a team so good it was able to win a Cup without him, he could play below par for 5-6 games and it's not a big deal, Jagr was the best player in the league when Mario was not playing. Before Mario got a ton of help (Coffey, Jagr, Mullen, etc. etc.) he couldn't even reliably get the Penguins into the playoffs.

McDavid carries a bigger burden than any other player probably in the modern history of the sport and he doesn't get much help from the management group here in terms of building a well rounded roster. A lot of the holes on the team have been there (right D, goaltending, 2nd line scoring wingers, physical energy players on cheap contracts) for ages.

The other problem is when McDavid is off the rest of the entire top 6 generally goes with him. Hyman can't do anything, RNH becomes completely invisible, Draisaitl's play suffers greatly, etc.

But again this is an unfair amount of pressure to put on one player. So yeah, the Oilers will have their annual stretch every season where they play poorly, generally because McDavid is a little out of sync which then ripples straight down the entire roster and no one else is capable of stepping up.

It happens every year, at this point it just is what it is. Team is entirely capable of having 100+ point seasons, but probably just shy of a president's trophy contention ... the fault of that should be squarely on management's feet. They're not holding up their end of the bargain. If you want wall to wall no choppy waters, this isn't that team, though I'm not sure that team even exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The amount of over passing is killing this team. Connor looks like he wants to flirt with being a 30 goal a year guy instead of a 50+ goal a year guy. If Connor once again doesn't win the Art Ross I hope that he's willing to cut us some damn slack on his next contract. He does not look like the best player in the world right now. I don't know if he is still hurt, if he was playing Barbie for his wedding or wtf. I just know that this isn't the same player that led the league in goals, assists and points 2 seasons ago. As for Drai, he's the highest paid guy in the league, it's time that he plays like it.
I think there has to be a bit more patience on these guys. Its a very long season and they will improve their performance.

As for Drai, he's 29 years of age now and its generally accepted that players are at their peak from ages 24-29. That isn't always the case-- some guys can stay at their absolute peak till 32 or 33 but I wonder if there are any 50 goal seasons left in him? Don't get me wrong he's still a monster talent but perhaps the super seasons are gone now.

What remains clear is that the Oilers don't have the high level goaltending on a consistent basis so 2 of the best players in the World will have to pick it up a notch if the team intends to go on another long playoff run.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kucherov is 2 years older than Draisaitl and 4 years older than McDavid and putting up career high production.

MacKinnon blew away his career highs last season and seems to be trending above his career production this year even with the Avs playing poorly.

I don't think athletes peak and decline like they used to. The diet, the training, the lack of physicality in the game just favors high skill athletes having a longer peak than before.

Gretzky was eating hot dogs before games and Snickers bars during intermissions with Diet Cokes, these guys just have access to much better food and train miles better, I don't think Wayne or Mario spent much of any time in a weight room.

Mario Lemieux even smoked cigarettes several years into his NHL career, lmao.

Last edited:
Reactions: McOilers97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Kucherov is 2 years older than Draisaitl and 4 years older than McDavid and putting up career high production.

MacKinnon blew away his career highs last season and seems to be trending above his career production this year even with the Avs playing poorly.

I don't think athletes peak and decline like they used to. The diet, the training, the lack of physicality in the game just favors high skill athletes having a longer peak than before.

Gretzky was eating hot dogs before games and Snickers bars during intermissions with Diet Cokes, these guys just have access to much better food and train miles better, I don't think Wayne or Mario spent much of any time in a weight room.
Kucherov has had complete seasons off, or took them off when he didn't figure he needed to.

Strange anyway as Drai has more production than Kuch, Mackinnon etc over the last several yrs.

This just in as well is Mackinnon was supposed to be in the McD type level. He was supposed to be a better player than Drai. If anything f the two its been Mackinnon, overall in career that has underperformed.

Drai was never a first pick and yet has been just as much a generational player than Mackinnon.

Odd as well that it took 10yrs for Mackinnon to put up his first 100pt season. Drai has had several. McD has them every year.

A different look is it took very long time for Mackinnon to ever put up superstar production. He had a lot of lukewarm seasons. McD and DRai have never had seasons as ordinary as Mackinnon has had.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kucherov has had complete seasons off, or took them off when he didn't figure he needed to.

Strange anyway as Drai has more production than Kuch, Mackinnon etc over the last several yrs.

This just in as well is Mackinnon was supposed to be in the McD type level. He was supposed to be a better player than Drai. If anything f the two its been Mackinnon, overall in career that has underperformed.

Drai was never a first pick and yet has been just as much a generational player than Mackinnon.

Odd as well that it took 10yrs for Mackinnon to put up his first 100pt season. Drai has had several. McD has them every year.

A different look is it took very long time for Mackinnon to ever put up superstar production. He had a lot of lukewarm seasons. McD and DRai have never had seasons as ordinary as Mackinnon has had.

I'm just saying we're seeing players peak past age 30 more and more often.

The training and diet and life style is just way different. Mario Lemieux used to say his off-season training basically consisted of not putting ketchup on his french fries, lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm just saying we're seeing players peak past age 30 more and more often.

The training and diet and life style is just way different. Mario Lemieux used to say his off-season training basically consisted of not putting ketchup on his french fries, lol.
None of the players you cite worked as hard as McDrai have their entire time here or have had to. Yeah of course players with generational talent that spend whole seasons underperforming or not even playing have more juice left now. McD and Drai would too if they weren't hauling the Oilers cart around for a decade.

This board: Oh but you're not producing like superstars right now yeegaddd!!!

Cut em some slack.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
None of the players you cite worked as hard as McDrai have their entire time here or have had to. Yeah of course players with generational talent that spend whole seasons underperforming or not even playing have more juice left now. McD and Drai would too if they weren't hauling the Oilers around for a decade.

I mean it's not like Kucherov and MacKinnon don't have heavy playoff miles on their legs.

"It's all downhill after age 29" is an outdated concept, sure it was maybe true in the 80s/90s, but the players were also eating like shit, not training or skating in the off-season, and some of them didn't even know what a weight room was.

Then there's the whole can of worms of "supplemental" things athletes may or may not be utilizing that are far better than what was available in the past.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean it's not like Kucherov and MacKinnon don't have heavy playoff miles on their legs.

"It's all downhill after age 29" is an outdated concept, sure it was maybe true in the 80s/90s, but the players were also eating like shit, not training or skating in the off-season, and some of them didn't even know what a weight room was.
Mackinnon has played a dozen more playoff games than Draisaitl in career. On a per season basis that equates to Mackinnon playing one more playoff game per season than Drai. Big deal. You're basing an argument on that. Drai has had "heavy playoff miles" Interesting that in last 4 seasons Drai and McD have played 9 more playoff games than Mackinnon has. Kind of defeats your point.

Kucherov Reg season and playoffs combined has played 60more games than Drai has, but while being in the league one season longer. Again your point isn't valid.

Nobody but you made the statement "its all going downhill" It is probably however that McDrai have already had their peak years.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mackinnon has played a dozen more playoff games than Draisaitl. Big deal. You're basing an argument on that. Drai has had "heavy playoff miles" Interesting that in last 4 seasons Drai and McD have played 9 more playoff games than Mackinnon has. Kind of defeats your point.

9 isn't exactly a ton.

I'm just saying there's nothing written in stone that 29 is some turning point age.

The two contemporaries to McDavid (Kucherov and MacKinnon) are having career years while being several years older.

You have to factor in 29 today isn't what 29 was 20 years ago, and certainly not 30 years ago. These guys are eating far better and train way better, and then there's the gray area of maybe they're also supplementing with something else.

When you see athletes well into their 30s producing like they were in their 20s in many different sports, something is either changing or something is up.

Ohtani probably just had his best season at age 30 and is just now getting to his first World Series.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
9 isn't exactly a ton.

I'm just saying there's nothing written in stone that 29 is some turning point age.

The two contemporaries to McDavid (Kucherov and MacKinnon) are having career years while being several years older.

You have to factor in 29 today isn't what 29 was 20 years ago, and certainly not 30 years ago. These guys are eating far better and train way better, and then there's the gray area of maybe they're also supplementing with something else.

When you see athletes well into their 30s producing like they were in their 20s in many different sports, something is either changing or something is up.
You'd just finished trying to say that Mackinnon and Kucherov have played considerably more games. I refuted that.

Fact of the matter on their respective seasons Kuch and Mackinnon had several lay down and take it easy seasons. McDrai have never had that.

You seem to not get the point that Mackinnon and Kuch have this much left to produce because they weren't driving themselves bone ragged the last decade. They were on some strong deep teams where in Kuch case he missed a whole season and the team was fine without him. That could never occur here and never has.

Further Mackinnon didn't even reach superstar production until his 10th season. He didn't have a 50 goal season until last year. Drai has 3 of them on one less season played.

In anycase you're selecting outliers when by and large, and statistically production peaks occur in NHL players from the ages of 24-28.

Nobody is saying McD or Drai won't continue to put up 100pt seasons. But its unlikely either will better their top production seasons.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You'd just finished trying to say that Mackinnon and Kucherov have played considerably more games. I refuted that.

Fact of the matter on their respective seasons Kuch and Mackinnon had several lay down and take it easy seasons. McDrai have never had that.

You seem to not get the point that Mackinnon and Kuch have this much left to produce because they weren't driving themselves bone ragged the last decade. They were on some strong deep teams where in Kuch case he missed a whole season and the team was fine without him. That could never occur here and never has.

We're seeing sports wide a trend of athletes staying at peak performance or near it well into their 30s.

Either training/dieting/supplementing has massive changed or something else is happening.

Hockey is one sport where we're seeing it, players like Kucherov having career highs after age 30, Ovechkin is a ppg right now even at almost age 40, but the NBA is certainly another, tennis is basically the poster child for being a sport where being 28 meant you were basically done in the sport.

In 1990 4% of the top 100 tennis players were 30 or over, in 2017 that had changed to 40%. I think it may be even higher now. Djokovic is damn near 40 years old and still one of the best if not the best in the world.

Then there's Tom Brady who was still a Superbowl winning QB I believe even after age 40, how many players in the NFL did that before? He threw for 43 touchdowns at age 44 (!!), second highest of his career. 43 touchdowns would be phenomenonal even for a 25 year old QB in their peak, Patrick Mahomes threw 41 tds at age 27.

28/29 is not old for a top level athlete any more.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We're seeing sports wide a trend of athletes staying at peak performance or near it well into their 30s.

Either training/dieting/supplementing has massive changed or something else is happening.

Hockey is one sport where we're seeing it, players like Kucherov having career highs after age 30, but the NBA is certainly another, tennis is basically the poster child for being a sport where being 28 meant you were basically done in the sport.

In 1990 4% of the top 100 tennis players were 30 or over, in 2017 that had changed to 40%. I think it may be even higher now. Djokovic is damn near 40 years old and still one of the best if not the best in the world.

Then there's Tom Brady who was still a Superbowl winning QB I believe even after age 40, how many players in the NFL did that before? He threw for 43 touchdowns at age 44 (!!), second highest of his career.

28/29 is not old for a top level athlete any more.
More specifically do either McD or Drai look anywhere near their peak performance to you? No, not even close. Its even been years since McD was putting up several highlight reel plays per week or month. Really they occur fairly rarely now. Drai most times looks like he's slow, tired compared to his peaks. Even in playoffs he's no longer been what he used to be.

Do you actually think either will better their respective top seasons? I don't.

Tom Brady is a Gordie Howe type freak of nature.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
More specifically do either McD or Drai look anywhere peak performance to you? No, not even close. Its even been years since McD was putting up several highlight reel plays per week or month. Really they occur fairly rarely now. Drai most times looks like he's slow, tired compared to his peaks. Even in playoffs he's no longer been what he used to be.

Do you actually think either will better their respective top seasons? I don't.

Which Connor McDavid are we talking about?

The one that just broke Wayne Gretzky's playoff assist record in the playoffs, willed his team to game 7 of a Cup Final, and won the Conne Smythe trophy three months ago?

While playing injured?

I don't make big assumptions on 6 game stretches.

We know full well under extremely high expectations this team has a habit of getting uptight and then not playing well to start with.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Which Connor McDavid are we talking about?

The one that just broke Wayne Gretzky's playoff assist record in the playoffs, willed his team to game 7 of a Cup Final, and won the Conne Smythe trophy three months ago?

While playing injured?

I don't make big assumptions on 6 game stretches.
The one that scored one half the goals he did just a season before. The one that put up a peak 153pt season, nearly a 2pt/game season while adding 64 assists. that one.

Not making anything on 6 games. Draw a graph of McD pts production seasons in career. Seems clear where this is headed.

But just answer the question. Do you think either of McD or Drai will match or better their top seasons?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The one that scored one half the goals he did just a season before. The one that put up a peak 153pt season, nearly a 2pt/game season while adding 64 assists. that one.

Not making anything on 6 games. Draw a graph of McD pts production seasons in career. Seems clear where this is headed.

But just answer the question. Do you think either of McD or Drai will match or better their top seasons?

Because he tore his hip flexor and/or core muscle in the 4th game of the season.

McDavid is a pass first and pass second player by his nature anyway though.

I don't know their future, but I don't agree that players are toast because "age 29 is some automatic cut off", for all we know they could top or maintain the level of product they have now for many more years.

Show me the trajectory on MacKinnon and Kucherov because if age 29 is some kind of auto-decline, then that sure as hell doesn't match up with what we're seeing.

Doesn't align with top athletes in other sports either. Ohtani has had probably his best season at age 30, LeBron has had several years after age 29 just as good as pre-29, he's turning 40 this December and still plays basically the same as he did 12-13 years ago, so has Steph Curry, so has Kevin Durant, so did Tom Brady. Djokovic had some of his best years after 29 too, so did Nadal. Kucherov in the NHL has had his best year after age 29. MacK just had his exactly at 29.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Because he tore his hip flexor and/or core muscle in the 4th game of the season.

McDavid is a pass first and pass second player by his nature anyway though.

I don't know their future, but I don't agree that players are toast because "age 29 is some automatic cut off", for all we know they could top or maintain the level of product they have now for many more years.

Show me the trajectory on MacKinnon and Kucherov because if age 29 is some kind of auto-decline, then that sure as hell doesn't match up with what we're seeing.

Doesn't align with top athletes in other sports either. Ohtani has had probably his best season at age 30, LeBron has had several years after age 29 just as good as pre-29, he's turning 40 this December and still plays basically the same as he did 12-13 years ago, so has Steph Curry, so has Kevin Durant, so did Tom Brady. Djokvic had some of his best years after 29 too. Kucherov in the NHL has had his best year after age 29. MacK just had his exactly at 29.
Baseball, basketball, golf and Tennis are not hitting contact physical sports. Thus the same injuries and attrition do not occur. If full checking was allowed in Basketball careers would be half the length.

I'd like to see tackle baseball, lol

McD is best when he can score or produce. He limits himself when he's looking too much to pass. Its harder to score than grab assists. To that end I certainly prefer his 64G season to his 100 assist season. That said the 100assist season is certainly notable. Not what i prefer.

To wit Gretz 92G season is most impressive regular season feat ever imo. Albeit I could see people saying it was the 163 assist season that was most impressive. Personal preference. Scoring goals is harder.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Baseball, basketball, golf and Tennis are not hitting contact physical sports. Thus the same injuries and attrition do not occur. If full checking was allowed in Basketball careers would be half the length.

I'd like to see tackle baseball, lol

McD is best when he can score or produce. He limits himself when he's looking too much to pass. Its harder to score than grab assists.

Hockey isn't that physical any more either, not relative to the 80s/90s. It's a softer game for sure today. Again, you're seeing dudes in their mid-30s having career highs like Marchessault (40 goals, lol).

Lots of NFL players are playing at a very high level into their 30s too, I would bet Mahomes will too.

Tennis players being able to play well into their late 30s can't be explained by just "well there's no contact" ... pretty sure tennis was a non-contract sport in the 1990s too, how is it that players are playing to much older ages all of the sudden? Did they change the water from the 1990s?

The 2nd highest ranked 100M dash sprinter is over age 30 today too, that's crazy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Hockey isn't that physical any more either, not relative to the 80s/90s. It's a softer game for sure today. Again, you're seeing dudes in their mid-30s having career highs like Marchessault (40 goals, lol).

Lots of NFL players are playing at a very high level into their 30s too, I would bet Mahomes will too.
NFL for sure is the most physical game. But the players don't play +100games a season and you wouldn't be able to. The sport of Football allows a weeks rest between any games and long offseasons for bodies to repair. If you had 100 game seasons in football players wouldn't survive. lol Its not a comparable because no other contact sport has star athletes playing an excess of 100 games per season with little time to repair. Add that NHL hockey has MUCH more travel than the NFL does.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
NFL for sure is the most physical game. But the players don't play 100games a season and you wouldn't be able to. The sport of Football allows a weeks rest between any games and long offseasons for bodies to repair. If you had 100 game seasons in football players wouldn't survive. lol Its not a comparable because no other contact sport has star athletes playing an excess of 100 games per season with little time to repair. Add that hockey has MUCH more travel than the NFL does.

It doesn't really matter relative to the point, we're seeing more and more athletes with performances you would associate with a 20-something athlete well into their 30s in some cases even 40s, lol.

It's basically undeniable.

I believe this trend will continue sports wide. Either everyone is doping or nutrition and training is way, way better or both but the fact is you can't use metrics that maybe applied to the 1990s in 2024 anymore.

Pro sports are massively different.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It doesn't really matter relative to the point, we're seeing more and more athletes with performances you would associate with a 20-something athlete well into their 30s in some cases even 40s, lol.

It's basically undeniable.

I believe this trend will continue sports wide. Either everyone is doping or nutrition and training is way, way better or both but the fact is you can't use metrics that maybe applied to the 1990s in 2024 anymore.

Pro sports are massively different.
Thanks for the discussion. I do consider your points on this. Hopefully we haven't seen peak yet from McDrai.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I don't think firing the coach should even be a thought. If they do what they did last year then the rot lies with the core players and hard decisions need to be made.

Not a f***ing chance in hell should another coach be fired. If a season is thrown away then so be it.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I know this will be mind blowing to some Oiler fans but other teams' superstars are not great 100% of the season.

MacKinnon isn't, Makar isn't, Matthews certainly isn't.

Even Wayne and Mario would struggle under that kind of expectation, Gretzky played on a team so good it was able to win a Cup without him, he could play below par for 5-6 games and it's not a big deal, Jagr was the best player in the league when Mario was not playing. Before Mario got a ton of help (Coffey, Jagr, Mullen, etc. etc.) he couldn't even reliably get the Penguins into the playoffs.

McDavid carries a bigger burden than any other player probably in the modern history of the sport and he doesn't get much help from the management group here in terms of building a well rounded roster. A lot of the holes on the team have been there (right D, goaltending, 2nd line scoring wingers, physical energy players on cheap contracts) for ages.

The other problem is when McDavid is off the rest of the entire top 6 generally goes with him. Hyman can't do anything, RNH becomes completely invisible, Draisaitl's play suffers greatly, etc.

But again this is an unfair amount of pressure to put on one player. So yeah, the Oilers will have their annual stretch every season where they play poorly, generally because McDavid is a little out of sync which then ripples straight down the entire roster and no one else is capable of stepping up.

It happens every year, at this point it just is what it is. Team is entirely capable of having 100+ point seasons, but probably just shy of a president's trophy contention ... the fault of that should be squarely on management's feet. They're not holding up their end of the bargain. If you want wall to wall no choppy waters, this isn't that team, though I'm not sure that team even exists.
I agree with much of what you say. I felt like there was a short time in his career, probably from around 2018-2022, that Draisaitl could carry the team in McDavid's absence or when McDavid was struggling, similar to Jagr without Mario. Unfortunately, I feel that time has passed and Draisaitl has regressed to the point where he's more reliant on McDavid than he used to be. I don't know if it's due to cumulative injuries, mental fatigue, or just the natural age-related decline that Drivesaitl mentioned. Some people age more quickly than others and perhaps Draisaitl has already passed his peak performance levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad