Pre-Game Talk: The last PGT of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
It doesn't look like Knob is doing anything different. I was really hoping he'd switch things up like the top 6. Put Gager in. Sit Nurse/Ceci and play Picks. My confidence in this team is low and my doubts are high. I'll still cheer them on to the end unless they shit the bed or Skinner/Nurse assist on another Panthers goal.

At this Point I'm cheering for them to just not get swept.

Go Oil!

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
In the case of Florida I think more about social Darwinism. Why would a State thats been historically under water have such sprawling development and real estate prices?

Lets just sell land and property thats going to be under water is around or under sea level.

How does anybody even visit the place and not think about the "land" being tenuous at best?

lol the top land mass in the whole state is only 345ft above current sea level.

Got on a rant there.
I lived in Tampa for 30+ years. Unlike Cal, the beaches are gradual so the rise in sea level will be gradual, like death by a thousand cuts. Except for the TD's and hurricanes that will continue to ravage the state, and yes anything less than 20" ASL is vulnerable on a yearly basis . I left 7 years ago for Reno, and I don't miss 70 degree dewpoints in October or crazy politicians wanting to ban books and diss Disney. I do miss my hockey buds and all you crazy guys coming down for pucks in the Palms, or other tournaments. Finally, in Tampa, they were the "Stinkin Panthers". Full stop. Always been a big Oil fan, and always will be, win, lose or draw.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Were about to be the first team since 1942 and only the second ever to come back from 0-3 in the Stanley Cup Final.

Probably not. But meh it was fun and honestly our goaltending has been average to below average, same with our defense. Surprised we got this far

The Panthers were here last year and were the best team in the league all season. Its not a surprising outcome.

Now that they got a taste, get Bouch, Drai and Mcdavid signed and there should be many more playoffs and opportunities in the future.

Alexandre Achutti

Oct 6, 2019
Were about to be the first team since 1942 and only the second ever to come back from 0-3 in the Stanley Cup Final.

Probably not. But meh it was fun and honestly our goaltending has been average to below average, same with our defense. Surprised we got this far

The Panthers were here last year and were the best team in the league all season. Its not a surprising outcome.

Now that they got a taste, get Bouch, Drai and Mcdavid signed and there should be many more playoffs and opportunities in the future.

Even I, a Brazilian, who doesn't understand much about hockey, can see the huge difference between the Panthers goalie and ours.

Ours is because I support the Oilers.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I met a brand new oilers fan, about 20 games deep, tonight, and she was livid that Pickard isn't starting lol

Kind of sums it up huh. That goal on the dump in last night was literally soul crushing. You don't even need the bigger context, to stick a fork in Skinner.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’m not getting my hopes up too high, but it’s not over until it’s over. The Oilers can string 4 great wins together.

When their back is against the wall, that’s often when you see their best effort. Just win and take it one game at a time.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
In a (likely futile) effort to bring some positive energy to tomorrow’s game I watched a bit of the 1988 Stanley Cup Final Game 4. It’s available for free on Youtube (complete with ads for some nostalgia) so I can post the link if you guys like.

Anyways these are some observations:

- present day jumpscare! Chris Cuthbert appearance right away.
- Ron MacLean calls the coliseum crowd “generally [sic] …said to be quiet”. Was that true back in the 80s? I can’t imagine that.
- Bob Cole predicts during the pre-game that “the Oilers are gonna win their 4th cup tonight”. Could you imagine if anyone did that in a SN broadcast today? They’d get canned. Just look at the insane reaction that a bit of favouritism from Gadzic got.
- $10,495 for a new Mercury Topaz. I expected that to be cheaper. With inflation that’s still well over $23k.
- Anyone else find it bizarre that the Oilers anthem singer and legend is a Quebecois opera singer? No disrespect to the legend himself, Mr. Lorieau, but all things considered it’s just odd to have a Quebecois guy in such a prominent position in AB.
- The ref is wearing a helmet, huh. Wild to think that the last ref to not wear a helmet officiated our 2006 SCF series.
- The holding was unreal. Prime Gretzky might’ve scored 300 points in 2024.
- It’s interesting that breakouts haven’t evolved much. A lot of D passes or board rims to forwards on the high half boards.
- The possession gurus would lose their minds watching this. No scorebug and shot numbers are uttered infrequently in passing.
- That Bob Cole “scores!” Call is so iconic.
- Interesting how the two line pass rule completely changes neutral zone play. It’s very much like two blue lines in play. I wonder if McDavid and Draisaitl would be better defensively with this rule since there’s no cheating for offense.
- A stat that I would like to look at is one-timer shot/seam pass goal percentage in the 80s vs now. I think they’d resemble each other. Almost every well executed seam pass/one-timer combo is a goal similar to today.
- Faceoffs in random locations without a dot is weird. As a former ref, how tf do you make those draws fair? Also bring back ref name bars. I wanna know the last name of the guy I’m telling to go f*** himself.
- Winding up for a slap-shot dump and chase is wild after you see the chip and charge of hockey now.
- Maybe it’s just this part of the game or because it’s gm 4 of a sweep, but it doesn’t seem very physical. Neither the Bruins or Oilers are really hitting anyone. Zero scrums after the whistle too.
- Man a black jersey with yellow socks is a tough look. Looks like only half the Bruins laundry arrived.

Well that’s it. Bedtime now. A big day tomorrow awaits.

It's because Skinner killed their confidence to score.

What single digit IQ take is this?

Listen if the scorers can’t score because of their goalie, the problem is more on the scorers than the goalie. Do. Your. Job.

If this is the case then I don’t wanna hear anyone on the Oilers say jack shit about accountability and taking care of what they’re doing out there.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Lets be real - the 2 8-game streaks weren't consecutive matches against arguably the best team in the East lol Quality of opponents matter and unfortunately, we dug ourselves into the worst hole possible
Meh, it's a close league and Florida aren't exactly dominating us. If Bob cools off even a little, the Panthers are in trouble.

Improbable != impossible

Believe!

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
It's amazing how Skinner is going to cost us another cup win.
The second year pro signed to backup money is going to cost us another cup win. Really? Not our starter down in the AHL or the GM that never found a Vezina caliber goalie or not having the cap to pay that imagined goalie because the current players used it all up. Blaming this kid is already getting tired. Score some eff'n goals to absorb the odd mistakes that are pretty much guaranteed with how this team is structured.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Perry is so cooked, they looked better without him, Knob has looked like a rookie coach in this series. He made great decisions in the first 3 rounds but has basically been Woodcroft this series.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’m not getting my hopes up too high, but it’s not over until it’s over. The Oilers can string 4 great wins together.

When their back is against the wall, that’s often when you see their best effort. Just win and take it one game at a time.
I'm here too. I see no point in acting like this is over. We are still in this series and arguably just had our strongest game of the series. There will be endless time to talk about failing in the series after it is over and of course if that actually happens

Even within games I see so many bailing early and I just wonder how those people feel after the team turns it around and wins. Why not just hold it together until the end?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm here too. I see no point in acting like this is over. We are still in this series and arguably just had our strongest game of the series. There will be endless time to talk about failing in the series after it is over and of course if that actually happens

Even within games I see so many bailing early and I just wonder how those people feel after the team turns it around and wins. Why not just hold it together until the end?
One shift at a time. Keep building.

Momentum can be a funny thing.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Not with Ray Ferraro calling the games. ;) Neither Skinner or Nurse would like his calls that much. Unfortunately on the highlights they cut out some of his tirades on the players.

What I expect is the Oilers with allstars in lineup do the utmost to avoid getting swept on home ice and put the best foot forward performance in game 4. After that I don't know.

Part of me wondering if Drai is really enjoying this anymore. Been something I've wondered at times this whole season. Kinda wonder if playing hurt for a longtime weighed heavily on him. Could be wrong but don't see him as a player that will play well into his thirties.

At some point becomes a quality of life thing. Should a player play so long they cripple their body or step out while they can. Its the classic Boxer paradigm but applies very much to hockey. Some players end up seeing that life is more important, and things like being able to walk normally are more important in life. Odd post I realize.
Drai has had a really bad year and I do agree that he's not build to be a great player as he ages.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He has been in full practice all playoffs. Today he was wearing a top 6 white jersey but he was skating with the 5th line.

RNH McDavid Hyman
Foegele Draisaitl Perry
Janmark Henrique Brown
Holloway McLeod Ryan

are the anticipated forward lines I read a few minutes ago. I would like to see him in over Perry myself too. If we're going to go down, give him a shot. Nothing to lose at this point.
Gross. Give Leon more shitty lines mates, seems par for the course

Can somneone please yell me why we can't do this:

Mcdavid Drai
Nuge Hyman

Both the first and second lines become better.

No it doesn’t.

View attachment 882946

Dumbass Knoblauch thinking Perry is the answer still. Goodness gracious.
This must be a fake out

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Perry is so cooked, they looked better without him, Knob has looked like a rookie coach in this series. He made great decisions in the first 3 rounds but has basically been Woodcroft this series.
I'd also say he got lucky. He put Drai with Mcleod and Perry and they looked like ass, but because they scored and won everyone thought he was a hero

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
In a (likely futile) effort to bring some positive energy to tomorrow’s game I watched a bit of the 1988 Stanley Cup Final Game 4. It’s available for free on Youtube (complete with ads for some nostalgia) so I can post the link if you guys like.

Anyways these are some observations:

- present day jumpscare! Chris Cuthbert appearance right away.
- Ron MacLean calls the coliseum crowd “generally [sic] …said to be quiet”. Was that true back in the 80s? I can’t imagine that.
- Bob Cole predicts during the pre-game that “the Oilers are gonna win their 4th cup tonight”. Could you imagine if anyone did that in a SN broadcast today? They’d get canned. Just look at the insane reaction that a bit of favouritism from Gadzic got.
- $10,495 for a new Mercury Topaz. I expected that to be cheaper. With inflation that’s still well over $23k.
- Anyone else find it bizarre that the Oilers anthem singer and legend is a Quebecois opera singer? No disrespect to the legend himself, Mr. Lorieau, but all things considered it’s just odd to have a Quebecois guy in such a prominent position in AB.
- The ref is wearing a helmet, huh. Wild to think that the last ref to not wear a helmet officiated our 2006 SCF series.
- The holding was unreal. Prime Gretzky might’ve scored 300 points in 2024.
- It’s interesting that breakouts haven’t evolved much. A lot of D passes or board rims to forwards on the high half boards.
- The possession gurus would lose their minds watching this. No scorebug and shot numbers are uttered infrequently in passing.
- That Bob Cole “scores!” Call is so iconic.
- Interesting how the two line pass rule completely changes neutral zone play. It’s very much like two blue lines in play. I wonder if McDavid and Draisaitl would be better defensively with this rule since there’s no cheating for offense.
- A stat that I would like to look at is one-timer shot/seam pass goal percentage in the 80s vs now. I think they’d resemble each other. Almost every well executed seam pass/one-timer combo is a goal similar to today.
- Faceoffs in random locations without a dot is weird. As a former ref, how tf do you make those draws fair? Also bring back ref name bars. I wanna know the last name of the guy I’m telling to go f*** himself.
- Winding up for a slap-shot dump and chase is wild after you see the chip and charge of hockey now.
- Maybe it’s just this part of the game or because it’s gm 4 of a sweep, but it doesn’t seem very physical. Neither the Bruins or Oilers are really hitting anyone. Zero scrums after the whistle too.
- Man a black jersey with yellow socks is a tough look. Looks like only half the Bruins laundry arrived.

Well that’s it. Bedtime now. A big day tomorrow awaits.

What single digit IQ take is this?

Listen if the scorers can’t score because of their goalie, the problem is more on the scorers than the goalie. Do. Your. Job.

If this is the case then I don’t wanna hear anyone on the Oilers say jack shit about accountability and taking care of what they’re doing out there.
To answer your question about the crowds in Northlands Coliseum in the 80’s, yes they were more subdued back then. Lots of speculation as to why. Some think it was because we were spoiled and used to winning and that made us snobs. Biggest reason imo, was because beer wasn’t sold in the arena like it was in American rinks. It was allowed to be sold at football games in Commonwealth Stadium at that time but that was because that was an open air facility and the fresh air helped you sober up. ;)

I can’t remember the exact year that law changed but I suspect it was early 90’s. in any event by the time the team returned to the playoffs after sucking for years once the dynasty ended the crowd was finally well lubricated, happy not to be losing anymore and ready to make noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad