The Great Dale Weise Debate (& other ex-Hawks) volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Exactly. I can't believe folks think it is okay to sucker punch a guy when he's already down on the ice. Conscious or not. 3 games minimum.

As for Shaw: I said when I first saw Shaw play with Hawks that he wouldn't be able to play like that for too long. I reckon his NHL career is close to being over. Getting suckered like that doesn't help.

Quiz: Does Pateryn get suspended?

Yeah, that was chicken shit. Imagine if something happened to Shaw, would be terrible for the league. It’s idiots like him that are going to get fighting banned someday. He looked so bad ass too, I’m so big you’ll knock yourself out if you hit me, then he hits a man while he’s down and out and now we know he’s really a coward.

Reactions: BobbyJet

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Exactly. I can't believe folks think it is okay to sucker punch a guy when he's already down on the ice. Conscious or not. 3 games minimum.

As for Shaw: I said when I first saw Shaw play with Hawks that he wouldn't be able to play like that for too long. I reckon his NHL career is close to being over. Getting suckered like that doesn't help.

Quiz: Does Pateryn get suspended?
how is it a sucker punch? he attacked him face to face...Pateryn didn't know he was out, and he was pissed how high and late Shaw went..that is old school hockey, you throw a dangerous hit like that, get ready for some punches..and if Shaw wasnt knocked out he would be punching back...but that is why Pateryn stopped ONCE he realized Shaw was out..no issues there, there will be no fine to Pateryn at all...if there is anything that happens, change the name of the league and put ice dancing skates on as the sport has simply lost its edge.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
and by the way, always liked Shaw when he was here...not crying that we had to trade him but he was a good soldier..he crosses that line a lot, "if you don't want none, don't start none"

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
come on Bobby, your an old school guy - it is a natural reaction what Pateryn did- we see something like that probably 20-30 times a season, only difference is Shaw was knocked out. Shaw came in high, late, and fast - Pateryn's natural defense was to throw punches as it could have been very ugly for him if Shaw was a bit taller...you have to see the guy reacted the way most of us would and then stopped once he realized he was beating up someone counting sheep. I do not see any outrage here,

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The hit was fine if that jackass had his head up. I think he was embarrassed to get caught admiring his pass by little Shaw more than anything
He was racing towards the boards chipped it out and then a second later got hit on top of the head by Shaw's jaw. I really don't get what you're seeing here.

Shaw went high. Pateryn got hit in the head from a direction he didn't really see, went after the guy who went high on him, and stopped once he realized Shaw was in trouble.

That's hockey.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The hit was fine, I'm sure Pateryn didn't realize Shaw was out, but he said he saw him laying on the ice with his eyes rolled back so I am sure he regretted the punches right away, but shit happens.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He was racing towards the boards chipped it out and then a second later got hit on top of the head by Shaw's jaw. I really don't get what you're seeing here.

Shaw went high. Pateryn got hit in the head from a direction he didn't really see, went after the guy who went high on him, and stopped once he realized Shaw was in trouble.

That's hockey.

That's hockey indeed until Paternyk broke the code by throwing a few punches on a player when he was down on the ice and dazed. The angle in the replay didn't show the viciousness of the shots he threw when conveniently he didn't realize Shaw was already out.

Done here, honest.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Pateryn landed towards the feet of Shaw, he started raising his fists to punch right then and there...no way he would know Shaw was out from starring at his skates first...he threw some bows, realized the dude was out and stopped..I again don't get what code you are talking about Bobby as hockey never had a code. was there a code to not tomahawk chop a player over the head with a stick? a code to not crawl into the stands and club on fans? a code to not stomp on a players hand with your skate? what code are you speaking of??

Pateryn was caught in the heat of the moment and reacted the way he knew how, I am happy he stopped when he saw Shaw out, that shows true character as we can name a few dozen rats who would have kept punching.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Pateryn landed towards the feet of Shaw, he started raising his fists to punch right then and there...no way he would know Shaw was out from starring at his skates first...he threw some bows, realized the dude was out and stopped..I again don't get what code you are talking about Bobby as hockey never had a code. was there a code to not tomahawk chop a player over the head with a stick? a code to not crawl into the stands and club on fans? a code to not stomp on a players hand with your skate? what code are you speaking of??

Pateryn was caught in the heat of the moment and reacted the way he knew how, I am happy he stopped when he saw Shaw out, that shows true character as we can name a few dozen rats who would have kept punching.

No need for a reply.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
AD = I disagree that his is 100% a code in hockey but I do think it is dying quickly.

I go back and forth on fighting personally.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Friendly reminder that fighting in hockey is stupid and makes the sport look silly.
in some ways i agree. the tap on the shoulder from 1 goon to another and a nod. then they square off. that is the most asinine thing that i saw, starting to my best recollection..... that was when i started to loose interest in most games.

the thinking at that time to get the fans more excited but i really thought it hurt the game. well for me and my friends thought so.

edit ~~~~ that point of my noticing it was in the 90's.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawksrule
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad