The Erik "Gudzilla" Gudbranson Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’m actually kind of laughing, but I’m twisted so...

JR has completely ****ed this up, but I suspect the Pens will put together a tough run here. Mostly because of Crosby’s hatred for losing.

Or they will just miss out on a top ten pick, make the playoffs, get curb stomped, and JR will show up to the Kessel trade presser without his robe.

I just REALLY hate the Capitals.

But honestly I see it much the same as you. These guys (Sid, Malkin etc) have already filled my cup til it was overflowing. I'm mostly just taking this all in stride. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the comedy, too.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's the Schultz trade thread here - Confirmed with Link: - Justin Schultz (50% retained) to Penguins for 3rd round pick

Sure, there's some big negative responses... but also a lot of shrugging, and a few expressions of support. Nothing like the response here to Gudbranson.

My thought is that Gudbranson doesn't have nearly the (perceived) upside as Schultz had and Schultz was a pending free agent that had salary retention. I think the reaction would be much more "meh" if Gudbranson was a pending UFA that only made $2 million. Sure, you'd have some people on here freaking out like usual, but nothing compared to what has actually happened.

Coincidentally, I actually think Gudbranson's best prior to being traded is comparable to Schultz's best before being traded in 2016. Gudbranson doesn't have any of the perceived upside left though, when I think people thought Schultz could be better than he was before in 2016.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
My thought is that Gudbranson doesn't have nearly the (perceived) upside as Schultz had and Schultz was a pending free agent that had salary retention. I think the reaction would be much more "meh" if Gudbranson was a pending UFA that only made $2 million. Sure, you'd have some people on here freaking out like usual, but nothing compared to what has actually happened.

You would hear very little from me personally under those conditions.

Like... other than pointing out the obvious fact that Gudbranson is one of the consensus top 4 worst D in the league... I would more or less just shrug were the above the case.

Reactions: Shady Machine

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Like... other than pointing out the obvious fact that Gudbranson is one of the consensus top 4 worst D in the league... I would more or less just shrug were the above the case.
Well... until you see him playing 17-18 minutes a night on the 2nd pairing or some shit.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well... until you see him playing 17-18 minutes a night on the 2nd pairing or some ****.

Well yeah. I don't care for watching shit hockey so I'd probably not be able to help myself, there.

But after that Flyers game I was pretty down on the season, already. So a warm body for the rest of this year would have been just kinda... expected.

Is this piece of **** playing tonight?

Outside chance. No official word that I know. Likely immigration issues keep him out of this one.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I just REALLY hate the Capitals.

But honestly I see it much the same as you. These guys (Sid, Malkin etc) have already filled my cup til it was overflowing. I'm mostly just taking this all in stride. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the comedy, too.

I just kind of always see the positive side I guess.

Pens kept their first, that’s cool.

But most especially, the more this blows up in JRs face, the more pressure he will be under, and he will have to confront himself with just what the f*** he’s been doing the last 18 or so months.

Now of course if you believe he’s gone senile and has lost it, then I guess I can see why it’s not as humorous as I find it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The only reason I rolled back my complaining is that I'm 100% assuming that Gudbranson only is a rental. Once he's no longer a rental and is actually here beyond July 1st, I'm going to be screaming about it too.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, I know I was being extreme with the trade offers. But I want them gone, and besides this year - it’s already too late, and our first is likely to be decently high to get a guy who can help inside 2 years, definitely 3 - I don’t want our team to make a single selection within the first two rounds for the next four years. They just won’t help us until it’s too late. If we can keep the picks, as you say, I want them to be used for immediate value. Not for rentals, either, but as part of big packages to stay the top dog for as long as we can. Let other teams roll the dice on 17 year olds. We should be looking to dominate as long as we can, and then suck HARD for a couple years to restart the long process. This middle of the road stuff is bull, and there are loads of teams (Carolina, Minnesota) who are perfect case studies in how ineffective it is.

If that was your expectation, then you were always going to be disappointed regardless of where we picked or who we drafted. Personally my expectation for drafted players starts at 3-5 years to hopefully become impact players. If it's sooner, right on. If it's later, no big deal.

That said, the idea that you don't want our team to make a single selection in the first two rounds in the next 4 years is idiotic. 5 years from now Crosby will be 36 and still playing. Guys drafted now will be able to help us down the line. And the only way this team doesn't utterly suck at that time is with drafting the next Guentzel now so that when Crosby is 36 that we have as much help for him as possible. Remember, SJ made it to the finals with an older core. They just had some young studs helping them along the way. And while it's unlikely that we draft those types with late 1st/2nd round picks, it's even more unlikely that we draft/acquire those guys without those picks to make the selections.

PS no one drafts 17 year olds.
PSS I think one should take a good look at Edmonton before advocating going into a rebuild before we have to. Because just like there's teams that show how ineffective staying young AND trying to get better can be, there's also good examples as to how "rebuilding" doesn't always work. I mean Florida has been "rebuilding" for how long now?

And personally I'd much rather watch a team like Carolina going through the paces with some good young high end talent (Aho/Svech/+blueline) then watch a team like Edmonton or Florida that's been a disaster for years now.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I just kind of always see the positive side I guess.

Pens kept their first, that’s cool.

But most especially, the more this blows up in JRs face, the more pressure he will be under, and he will have to confront himself with just what the **** he’s been doing the last 18 or so months.

Now of course if you believe he’s gone senile and has lost it, then I guess I can see why it’s not as humorous as I find it.
Isn't this kinda what he's always done as GM wherever he's been though?

Do you think he really has what it takes to take an honest introspection?

Reactions: Justin Sickways

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think its unquestionable that Schultz's contract status weighed in on why people received it better than Gudbranson - but its not all that. Not when you could post up charts of Schultz's underlying numbers that looked okay. And I think a pretty key part is that he looked a guy who could fit the system where as Gudbranson is an alarming departure.

Not that what I just said really contradicts what others said.

Anyhoo... I dunno, probably time to leave this one. But the search for positives? Laudable, but on very shaky ground. We're hoping for a more or less unprecedented turn around here.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
If that was your expectation, then you were always going to be disappointed regardless of where we picked or who we drafted. Personally my expectation for drafted players starts at 3-5 years to hopefully become impact players. If it's sooner, right on. If it's later, no big deal.

That said, the idea that you don't want our team to make a single selection in the first two rounds in the next 4 years is idiotic. 5 years from now Crosby will be 36 and still playing. Guys drafted now will be able to help us down the line. And the only way this team doesn't utterly suck at that time is with drafting the next Guentzel now so that when Crosby is 36 that we have as much help for him as possible. Remember, SJ made it to the finals with an older core. They just had some young studs helping them along the way. And while it's unlikely that we draft those types with late 1st/2nd round picks, it's even more unlikely that we draft/acquire those guys without those picks to make the selections.

PS no one drafts 17 year olds.
PSS I think one should take a good look at Edmonton before advocating going into a rebuild before we have to. Because just like there's teams that show how ineffective staying young AND trying to get better can be, there's also good examples as to how "rebuilding" doesn't always work. I mean Florida has been "rebuilding" for how long now?

And personally I'd much rather watch a team like Carolina going through the paces with some good young high end talent (Aho/Svech/+blueline) then watch a team like Edmonton or Florida that's been a disaster for years now.
You make good points. We just have different focuses. I don’t think your approach gets us anywhere near a cup again - although things can happen, as you pointed out with SJ. But I think we’re agreed that either way it’s not all doom and gloom. As long as we have Crosby, I’ll tune in to every Penguins game.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Seen some Caps tweeters a little concerned about Guds cheap shotting thier better players and taking TW off the ice with him.
They don't like that trade off.

So...theres that...

That would be about the best possible outcome. Gudbranson can play a tough brand of hockey. SO he goes and pulls a Wilson where he runs everyone possible (late, not late, whatever), then gets in a tussel with Wilson where both get ejected for the game. Win/win.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think its unquestionable that Schultz's contract status weighed in on why people received it better than Gudbranson - but its not all that. Not when you could post up charts of Schultz's underlying numbers that looked okay. And I think a pretty key part is that he looked a guy who could fit the system where as Gudbranson is an alarming departure.

Not that what I just said really contradicts what others said.

Anyhoo... I dunno, probably time to leave this one. But the search for positives? Laudable, but on very shaky ground. We're hoping for a more or less unprecedented turn around here.

Right. The Pens were a speed and skilled puck possession team and Schultz fit that mold. Whether it would pan out or not was up for debate, but there was a clear fit. Whatever the hell JR keeps doing now is confusing as hell. What is the identity of this team? How do these players fit?

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's not a rental. Start screaming.

Nice to know you can tell the future. Want to share tomorrow's lottery numbers?

I see no reason to expect Gudbranson to be here beyond this year, based on the rest of the roster and the salary cap. So until he's here beyond this year, I'm not going to assume he'll be here. It makes no logical sense for him to be here past this season, so I don't see any reason to start screaming about him being here long term right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad