The Erik "Gudzilla" Gudbranson Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
If he plays tonight, he’ll be instructed by JR to “make his presence known” at the first sign of shenanigans from Columbus...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well, Gudbranson could probably fight him to a draw / slight victory, will you settle for that?

I guess this is as good a time as any to point out (not to you specifically) that having your main tough guy be a defenseman is a terrible idea because then you're down to 5 D for 5 minutes or longer. Brawlers should always be wingers. But this is a terrible idea for a bunch of other reasons, we all know that.
No.

Reactions: Corvidae and domaug

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I was reading a bunch of articles and it's more frightening to see what the reasoning behind Guds is, because of the flyers games. Really?

I want to be hopeful but we also tried to be with Oleksiak and Johnson and well we're now praying another bad defenseman is back in Olli so we aren't stuck seeing too much of JJ and Guds. Lol...

It's funny to remember a time when we had such a deep pool of young defensmen. Now we're trotting out guys like Trotman and hoping Wideman and Gudbranson don't suck too much in addition to the terrible Johnson.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If he plays tonight, he’ll be instructed by JR to “make his presence known” at the first sign of shenanigans from Columbus...
I could definitely see Gudbranson challenging a Dubinsky or Jenner or someone. Don't think either of those guys would actually drop them with Gudbranson, though.

Reactions: Riptide

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was reading a bunch of articles and it's more frightening to see what the reasoning behind Guds is, because of the flyers games. Really?

Lord knows the well-known secret to success in any walk of life is to constantly react to everything that happens like a big dumb panicky animal instead of actually trying to have a well thought out plan and executing it, right?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Gonchar actually could turn him into a serviceable defenseman it would be a bigger miracle than the water into wine thing some other miracle worker did a couple of Millennium ago.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Seen some Caps tweeters a little concerned about Guds cheap shotting thier better players and taking TW off the ice with him.
They don't like that trade off.

So...theres that...

I'll be very curious to see how this aspect of his game ACTUALLY pans out.

First off... the attempts at going down this road on this team the last few seasons has been... well... really f***in' pathetic.

Plus Vancouver fans by and large seem to be of the opinion that that entire aspect of Gudbranson's game is extremely overblown.

Reactions: Peat

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Seen some Caps tweeters a little concerned about Guds cheap shotting thier better players and taking TW off the ice with him.
They don't like that trade off.

So...theres that...
they're also really dumb and their fears are unfounded

i mean...

yeah Kuznetsov better watch out!!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll be very curious to see how this aspect of his game ACTUALLY pans out.

First off... the attempts at going down this road on this team the last few seasons has been... well... really ****in' pathetic.

Plus Vancouver fans by and large seem to be of the opinion that that entire aspect of Gudbranson's game is extremely overblown.

Wurd. If I thought Gudbranson would bring pain and challenge anyone who skated within a metre of Sid/Geno without apologising to a fight, I'd hope he could at least hang in the line up. If he's not going to do that and has to justify himself on his limited hockey ability...

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Lord knows the well-known secret to success in any walk of life is to constantly react to everything that happens like a big dumb panicky animal instead of actually trying to have a well thought out plan and executing it, right?
Also apparently the dressing room was too quiet. Guds is known as a more rambunctious and vocal guy.

Honestly at this point if he is better than JJ then fine. Dump JJ asap after the season.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I'm not hating on Gudbranson, I'm hating on Jim Rutherford. And I will give Gudbranson the hockey player a fair shake.

I guess he can come in, clear some creases, block some shots, throw his body around and not actively throw the puck in his own net? In that case, good for him and I'll have pretty neutral feelings. He's not going to help transition, and he's not going to help in the o-zone. But the defensive game from this team and the D-corp was subpar before Johnson.

If he also can fight some guys (and win) when called upon he helps with some entertainment value from a pretty boring team to watch, then as advertised.

I will still be hating on Jim Rutherford.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wurd. If I thought Gudbranson would bring pain and challenge anyone who skated within a metre of Sid/Geno without apologising to a fight, I'd hope he could at least hang in the line up. If he's not going to do that and has to justify himself on his limited hockey ability...

What people don't seem to realize or at least gloss over is most of the time you have to be a good player yourself to catch these guys and actually cause some damage. Unless Gudbranson is chasing guys around after the whistle... I'm not holding my breath regarding the "punishing" aspect of his game.

Also apparently the dressing room was too quiet. Guds is known as a more rambunctious and vocal guy.

Honestly at this point if he is better than JJ then fine. Dump JJ asap after the season.

I'm a rambunctious and vocal guy. Where the f*** is my 12 million dollars?!?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
If he can play a solid stay at home game and make Riikola a regular as his partner, fine. As people have said...this shit is gonna get interesting.

Johnson, Schultz
Pettersson, Gudbranson
Trotman, Ruhwedel/Riikola

Is that our D right now? Lmao
Edit : forgot about Pettersson.

I'm trying to be positive man. I'm trying.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If he can play a solid stay at home game and make Riikola a regular as his partner, fine. As people have said...this **** is gonna get interesting.

Johnson, Schultz
Riikola, Gudbranson
Trotman, Ruhwedel

Most expensive unit in the league!

Look at it... in all it's glory! Like a well tuned Italian supercar!

VROOM!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
they're also really dumb and their fears are unfounded

i mean...

yeah Kuznetsov better watch out!!

The peeps that were discussing it said he took Connolly out in that game Wilson fought him, i think.

I know he's not a punishing defender but when things get chippy in a heated game, i think he's more Reaves than he is Rig.
Willing to do it. Just needs the motivation.

Reactions: domaug

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
If he can play a solid stay at home game and make Riikola a regular as his partner, fine. As people have said...this **** is gonna get interesting.

Johnson, Schultz
Riikola, Gudbranson
Trotman, Ruhwedel

I'd play Marcus Pettersson over have of those players that are on your list.

Reactions: td_ice

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We all know Olli/JJ-Guds will be a tire fire.
Since he HAS to put on the jersey, Dumo, MP or Riiko would be ideal atm.
And even then, it still can look real wonky.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But... Reaves was totally ineffective in how he was utilized here. And he had the advantage of being a forward in a semi-enforcer role.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I want to be hopeful but we also tried to be with Oleksiak and Johnson and well we're now praying another bad defenseman is back in Olli so we aren't stuck seeing too much of JJ and Guds. Lol...

It's funny to remember a time when we had such a deep pool of young defensmen. Now we're trotting out guys like Trotman and hoping Wideman and Gudbranson don't suck too much in addition to the terrible Johnson.

Just said it in the other thread, but Trotman is pretty good. He’s not top or middle pairing good, but he can do quite well as a 5 or 6.

People won’t get a long look at him, but they will get a glimpse and realize he could have done a better job than JJ for about 1/4 of the salary.

He’s just a steady kind of guy with some size and can skate pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad