The Erik "Gudzilla" Gudbranson Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He might actually be really good for the room and a change of scenery might work.

He appears to understand where he's supposed to be (although always taking middle is the lazy defenseman spot lol). That alone is more impressive than our usual chicken without head defensive zone positioning.

That's something that actually gave me some optimism about the deal. He knows he was bad in Vancouver, he flat out said "I wish I could have been better" when asked for a last message to fans. He believes that he has a level above what he showed in Vancouver, so that at least makes me think he can be better here. He either has a level above what he has been or realizes he needs to work hard to get to that level, those are at least reasons to be optimistic. I'd rather see that than a bad player who thinks he has played well.

Like I said on the last page, literally just don't get outscored and I'm satisfied with him. If he plays his matchups to a draw, I'll take my chances on the best players winning their matchups. I don't need the depth guys to win games, I just need them to not lose games.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Hopefully Pettersson can do for Gudbranson what Schultz is doing for Johnson right now.

It might be a watered down simple brand but maybe, juuuuust maybe we can guts and duct tape our way through this.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Glad to see the doom here is on hold for a day. I have high hopes that the injuries we have right now will make our team focus on the details a bit more. Excited to see Gud get in the game Thursday and hopefully his character lightens up the room and we can go on a run here. May not be popular opinion but I also like our remaining schedule to close out the season. Most of the teams we play against I like our chances. Especially considering that quite a few of them are teams we are fighting for a playoff spot against. Should be entertaining at the least.

Reactions: Pens17

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hopefully Pettersson can do for Gudbranson what Schultz is doing for Johnson right now.

It might be a watered down simple brand but maybe, juuuuust maybe we can guts and duct tape our way through this.

If Pettersson can carry both Johnson and Gudbranson for prolonged periods of time, he should be nicknamed "The Defence Whisperer".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just had a scary thought that relates to Gudbranson. Remember how I was hell-bent on saying that he's going to be traded because "I can't see the Penguins trading any of their other defenseman to accommodate him" and "he's only here because Letang and Dumoulin got hurt"? What if it's not trading defenseman to accommodate Gudbranson, but instead trading a defenseman because a younger guy made him redundant? Yeah, I'm talking about them trading Maatta because Pettersson has made him redundant. Would anyone be even remotely surprised to see this defense next year:

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola

I wouldn't be surprised at all. They'd justify it as Pettersson has made Maatta redundant and you can get a good return for Maatta, while conveniently not mentioning that they'd be keeping Gudbranson because of it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I just had a scary thought that relates to Gudbranson. Remember how I was hell-bent on saying that he's going to be traded because "I can't see the Penguins trading any of their other defenseman to accommodate him" and "he's only here because Letang and Dumoulin got hurt"? What if it's not trading defenseman to accommodate Gudbranson, but instead trading a defenseman because a younger guy made him redundant? Yeah, I'm talking about them trading Maatta because Pettersson has made him redundant. Would anyone be even remotely surprised to see this defense next year:

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola

I wouldn't be surprised at all. They'd justify it as Pettersson has made Maatta redundant and you can get a good return for Maatta, while conveniently not mentioning that they'd be keeping Gudbranson because of it.

I was thinking that last night as well. Plus, there's been signs that Maatta may be gone sooner rather than later.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola

Wouldnt be surprised in the slightest. But if they bring in a speedy top six two way forward for maatta it could end up being a decent move. Assuming that Gud doesn't look like a steaming pile of goals against for the remainder of this season. Which going into this I am willing to give him an open mind, and let his games here speak for itself.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was thinking that last night as well. Plus, there's been signs that Maatta may be gone sooner rather than later.

The weird thing is that I completely agree with them if they trade Maatta based on Pettersson. Pettersson this year has been as good as Maatta ever was, and I think Pettersson is only going to improve going forward. The problem is who they'd keep because of the decision, not that the decision itself is bad. Them trading Maatta makes a lot of sense when you consider that they seem to like Johnson-Schultz and Pettersson is the 3rd pair LD.

Wouldnt be surprised in the slightest. But if they bring in a speedy top six two way forward for maatta it could end up being a decent move. Assuming that Gud doesn't look like a steaming pile of goals against for the remainder of this season.

Yeah, I completely agree with trading Maatta because Pettersson made him redundant. I just don't like who they will replace him with in the top-6.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Our only hope is if he isn’t granted a visa
Disagree and wish he could have been in the lineup last night. Crazy to think that people are preferring Trotman (70 games) to someone with over 400 games played. I'm of the belief that he will elevate his game here in the proper role with a decent partner. Having him gives us two physical guys, two great puck movers, and two guys that are great with their stick. Pretty excited to see how things shake out. Got my wizard glasses on folks, seeing the diamonds in the rough.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola

I said this when quoting you! Do you even read my posts? :laugh:

Reactions: Empoleon8771

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I mean, what if they keep the current d corps, but trade out maatta? Hmmmm?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I liked the guy, yes he has slowed down in recent years but I still think we can get some good out of him here
I mean, we did win the Cup with slow Hainsey and Maatta
If we can squeeze in the playoffs, the hooking and the game slows down a little and it will be to our advantage IMO
We still have Letang, Schultz, Pettersson, JJ and Dumoulin who are solid skaters

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I said this when quoting you! Do you even read my posts? :laugh:

That's very possible, I was responding to a ton of posts :laugh:

I was only thinking about it from the angle of "trading Maatta and having Gudbranson replace him", hence why I was so hell-bent on them not doing that. But from that angle, it's easily a move I could see them making. I was only thinking of that angle before this morning, I didn't take a long enough thought on it to realize that you had a great point.

Reactions: Peat

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Ya know what...this is actually a really gud video...

He might actually be really good for the room and a change of scenery might work.

He appears to understand where he's supposed to be (although always taking middle is the lazy defenseman spot lol). That alone is more impressive than our usual chicken without head defensive zone positioning.

**** me. Well. Don't **** me, but you get it.

Exactly. Knows his role, leadership, and can fight. But everybody wants to act like the sky is falling because of a 3rd pair defender when we got 4 defenders injured.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola

Lol typical Emp. Yell at all of us yesterday and then basically agree with us the next day.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola

That is what I thought the moment I saw the trade. They're not trading JJ or trading the tough guy they just got. JR has found a way to prevent MS from deploying the tough guy 6 minutes a game. He got one on D. I assume we'll see Maatta out for a 2nd or 3rd at the draft to recoup picks. Pettersson isn't going to be a #7.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola

Isn't Riikola a FA after this season?
With the way he's been treated, I doubt he comes back

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

RFA. He can come back or go back to Finland.

Also, I don't think he's been all that mistreated tbh. He's spent all season in the big show - drawing the big pay cheque - he's played more games than he's sat, he's had power play time, decent amount of ice time when he's suited up... that's not that bad for a rookie. And probably better than expected.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah honestly guys I truly think Gudbranson was not thought of a as a rental. They'll cut other areas to keep him. AND Jack Johnson.

I think the only way they flip either this offseason is if they are at the epicenter of a truly epic meltdown.

So... there's a chance!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

He's a RFA, it's either take a pay cut in Finland or stay here.

That is what I thought the moment I saw the trade. They're not trading JJ or trading the tough guy they just got. JR has found a way to prevent MS from deploying the tough guy 6 minutes a game. He got one on D. I assume we'll see Maatta out for a 2nd or 3rd at the draft to recoup picks. Pettersson isn't going to be a #7.

There is no way that Maatta has that little of value. I think they'd sooner keep him than trade him for a 3rd.

Yeah honestly guys I truly think Gudbranson was not thought of a as a rental. They'll cut other areas to keep him. AND Jack Johnson.

I think the only way they flip either this offseason is if they are at the epicenter of a truly epic meltdown.

So... there's a chance!

The scary thing that makes me think this may be the case? I was overlooking JR saying "he wasn't available until now". That makes me think "JR must have been inquiring about him when he wasn't available".

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

So... there's a chance!

Instead, Gudbranson will lift the Cup with a -3 over the play-offs and 2 celebrated fights. Johnson somehow scores the cup winning goal. Both become folk heroes. Sane people are left wondering what the world is. Dman prices around the league crater as clearly they no longer matter.

There is no way that Maatta has that little of value. I think they'd sooner keep him than trade him for a 3rd.

They may not have a choice given the cap, depending on their priorities, but I broadly agree that it would be quite surprising if he had so little value. He is not a 1st and a 2nd worse than Hamonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad