OT - NO POLITICS The Dog Days of Summer continue

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Another Boston institution lost to progress.

Ah, Dana Hersey, the Movie Loft, Tom Larson in the studio...

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I agree that this will be the right move. I have my doubts that the T will get anything meaningful done during this window. I'm guessing the sick days will start on 8/20, and the T will complete about half of what they hoped to get to. I've lived in this state way too long to have any confidence that a project will be done on time or on budget.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Going on our first kid free vacation ever (9 years) next week. Was supposed to go to Cape Brettan but were iffy because of COVID but settled on Blue Hill, ME. Lots of day trips planned to different parts of Maine. Excited to enjoy the quiet!

nice….if you are looking for a nice day head to Bar Harbor. Under an hour away.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Going on our first kid free vacation ever (9 years) next week. Was supposed to go to Cape Brettan but were iffy because of COVID but settled on Blue Hill, ME. Lots of day trips planned to different parts of Maine. Excited to enjoy the quiet!
Sounds glorious! Enjoy!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:soap:

I know this is borderline political but this is more about the incompetence of a state agency that has been controlled by both parties over decades with the same result.

I am disgusted at how the MBTA has fallen apart.

25-30 years ago the T decided to invest in expanding commuter rail and spent ONE BILLION DOLLARS on restoring commuter rail south of Boston that had ended in 1959.

8mTjB8Y.jpg

In 2000 the T spent $4.5 million dollars to build this station that in 2019 was used weekdays by 528 people.
1659589827501.png

The core problem is to fund the commuter rail they deferred maintenance of the inner city lines and older subway cars were not replaced in a timely fashion. The T is still running cars on the Red Line that my Mom rode on and she died in 1971.

What fries my brain is the T has now spent more money on fare collection upgrades than NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!

The Orange Line has always been the grittiest line in the T system but it moved people.

@Kate08 - 8 years ago the T opened the Assembly station and look what happened.

50 years ago the poobahs decided Wellington would be the mega transit station but would not allow a commuter rail platform that Malden Center wound up getting.

35 years ago the T assured Bostonians the new Orange Line would be the best in the country.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
:soap:

I know this is borderline political but this is more about the incompetence of a state agency that has been controlled by both parties over decades with the same result.

I am disgusted at how the MBTA has fallen apart.

25-30 years ago the T decided to invest in expanding commuter rail and spent ONE BILLION DOLLARS on restoring commuter rail south of Boston that had ended in 1959.

8mTjB8Y.jpg

In 2000 the T spent $4.5 million dollars to build this station that in 2019 was used weekdays by 528 people.
View attachment 574590

The core problem is to fund the commuter rail they deferred maintenance of the inner city lines and older subway cars were not replaced in a timely fashion. The T is still running cars on the Red Line that my Mom rode on and she died in 1971.

What fries my brain is the T has now spent more money on fare collection upgrades than NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!

The Orange Line has always been the grittiest line in the T system but it moved people.

@Kate08 - 8 years ago the T opened the Assembly station and look what happened.

50 years ago the poobahs decided Wellington would be the mega transit station but would not allow a commuter rail platform that Malden Center wound up getting.

35 years ago the T assured Bostonians the new Orange Line would be the best in the country.

Hit the nail on the head and then some.

The MBTA has had several opportunities to make Forest Hills better and more accessible especially for those who live in border towns like Dedham and a small section of Brookline but instead sold the large parking lots to private developers who have erected empty luxury condos. There is barely any parking now and if you want a spot in the small lot that is left, you gotta get there before the construction workers do. They act like they own the lot and some will actually start yelling if you park in "their" spot. The MBTA refuses to address them yet if I did that, they'd call the cops without hesitation.

I honestly hope that this shutdown fixes many of the longstanding issues but I won't hold my breath.

As for fares, allow us to put our Charlie Cards in our apple wallets if we choose to.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Did Bar Harbor 2 weeks ago. I would say an Acadia tour is a MUST. We hired a tour van for 4 people and the guide knew every nook and cranny with no time wasted and nothing missed. Approx 3 hours.
Agree.

If I didn't live in Arizona, the only other place I'd live is Maine. and I'd move to Cape Porpoise, Baxter or Mt. Desert Isle.(Acadia) Absolutely untouched and mind blowing.
Arizona has beautiful landscapes, but that part of Maine is other worldly.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Police responded to an active shooter report at the local hospital, a couple miles from my office. Thankfully it was a false alarm.

Can you imagine being in the middle of an operation and having to deal with that?

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad