OT - NO POLITICS The Dog Days of Summer continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Jim owned The Rathskeller (The Rat) in Kenmore Square where he spent many years as part of the Boston music scene.
😥

I used to book bands, both here and nationally from '88-'98, and I knew Jim, though I wouldn't say well. This week has just been full of this and I've had enough already.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
We have a lot of bunnies in the yard behind my building. In Daisy's younger years she would have wanted to chase them all. Nowadays she doesn't even notice them most of the time. I think her eyesight and sniffer aren't what they used to be, at age 15. :(
When my Mom passed away her cat Mack came to live with me. After a few years he went totally blind. The vet said just don't move the furniture. It was amazing how well Mack got around. A cat's whiskers are very sensitive, and they can feel their way around.

Best wishes for Daisy. :heart:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
We had them in providence too. I was moving an outdoor couch years ago and a rat came running out and up my arm. First, it was so heavy I really felt it. Second, the glimpse I got of it before it spring-boarded off my shoulder into a bush marked it as at least a foot long. I legit thought it was a possum until my buddy confirmed it was a rat (he had a better view and wasn't mid-heart attack).
Saw plenty of those in Brazil, they mostly come out at night in large numbers. You can occasionally see them during the day, but only one at the time... they move fast. Definitely common cat size.

Reactions: Kovi and Bocephus86

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Boy am I happy I work from home now.

it has to happen before we have a mass casualty event on it

It's a bit of a miracle that hasn't already happened.

Thank God I only use Uber & Amtrak when I go to Boston, I don't know how people can stand using MBTA.

We have a lot of bunnies in the yard behind my building. In Daisy's younger years she would have wanted to chase them all. Nowadays she doesn't even notice them most of the time. I think her eyesight and sniffer aren't what they used to be, at age 15. :(

There used to be a ton of bunnies in the woods next to the building. They left when the stupid neighbors got their stupid dog a few years ago. I'm hoping they will come back though, the stupid neighbors now have 2 small children so they got rid of the dog!!!

Reactions: Alicat

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Jim owned The Rathskeller (The Rat) in Kenmore Square where he spent many years as part of the Boston music scene.
😥

Anyone remember the name of sub shop next door to the Rathskeller? I think the owners (and workers) were brothers from Argentina. Reminded me of the SNL cheeseburger, cheeseburger, no coke, Pepsi skit.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Anyone remember the name of sub shop next door to the Rathskeller? I think the owners (and workers) were brothers from Argentina. Reminded me of the SNL cheeseburger, cheeseburger, no coke, Pepsi skit.

The Pizza Pad. If you ran upstairs from the Rat after last call, you could just make it in time to get a pitcher at the Pizza Pad.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's baffling to me how my company still has a policy of social distancing and yet still stuff people into an office where they cannot physically socially distance.

I've pointed that out, numerous times.... and yet here we still are. With me having to tell people they need to quarantine.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It's baffling to me how my company still has a policy of social distancing and yet still stuff people into an office where they cannot physically socially distance.

I've pointed that out, numerous times.... and yet here we still are. With me having to tell people they need to quarantine.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Sending virtual cookies your way

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Funny to think my parents got this chair for him. A well traveled senior dog. Born and roaming the streets of Oakland. Rescued then moved and drove to Vegas. Drove cross country on a move to Florida. East Coast trip to Boston for christmas on a drive. Been more places than most humans.

Attachments

• 049499F7-B410-4ACF-BC60-EDE38920B4C1.jpeg
    049499F7-B410-4ACF-BC60-EDE38920B4C1.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 4

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
then there's this for the weather geeks:

NOAA Weather Radio lost three stations transmitting according to @NWS Boston; restoration time unknown

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah

This better be a total and complete fix,:soap: for those of us who commute daily via the Orange Line (never mind getting to and from B’s games) this is going to be a nightmare. At least by Monday 8/21 the freaking E line is supposed to reopen between Heath Street and Copley.
Otherwise I’m using the “can’t get there from here” line about getting to work:headache:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Well the T is offering $10k signing bonuses according to their website for this 30 day shutdown

Expediting Recruitment​

We're prioritizing hiring in a number of key areas, including for heavy rail dispatchers in the Operations Control Center (OCC).

These initiatives focus on recruiting current operations staff as well as new applicants. The MBTA has:
  • Authorized a $10,000 sign-on bonus
  • Expanded of the MBTA’s pool of eligible internal candidates
  • Initiated a hiring blitz that began at the end of last month

This better be a total and complete fix,:soap: for those of us who commute daily via the Orange Line (never mind getting to and from B’s games) this is going to be a nightmare. At least by Monday 8/21 the freaking E line is supposed to reopen between Heath Street and Copley.
Otherwise I’m using the “can’t get there from here” line about getting to work:headache:
I'm with you. Enough with the half assed "fixes". Great news about the green line.

They should let you work from home.

Reactions: 304

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
I currently use one of the commuter rails and then the Red Line when I occasionally go into the office. I used to use both 5 days a week pre-Covid and also used the Orange/Green Lines extensively when I lived in the city for 7 years. For weekend Bruins games I might use all these lines (commuter, Red, then Green/Orange). So I am a seasoned rider.

After the T decided to shut down the Braintree portion of the Red Line at night (this was like two weeks ago), my wife and I came to the conclusion that the ONLY way for things to get better is if the T shuts down full lines or big pieces all day for whatever amount of days to make sure things get done right. Here we are.

Some people don't want to hear this, but they should: people will be inconvenienced for a period of time, but the end result will be a massive difference. Let's hope they take advantage of these 30 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad