OT - NO POLITICS The Dog Days of Summer continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Moved into my new home in Somerville this past weekend. After 10 years of living in CT and NY I'm once again officially a Massachusetts resident.

Anyone recommend a good pizza place in Somerville/Cambridge? My bar is set high after so many years in Brooklyn.

Reactions: UConn126 and Kovi

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I have a woodchuck living under my shed this summer.. he hasn't been a pest at all and just comes out in the evening and chills in the backyard eating weeds... I throw him some random bad (not bad but) tomatoes that are good for the most part but with a hole eaten out of it. He/she seems to enjoy them

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Moved into my new home in Somerville this past weekend. After 10 years of living in CT and NY I'm once again officially a Massachusetts resident.

Anyone recommend a good pizza place in Somerville/Cambridge? My bar is set high after so many years in Brooklyn.
Now this is scary......my daughter and her bf just moved into Somerville yesterday.........

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have a woodchuck living under my shed this summer.. he hasn't been a pest at all and just comes out in the evening and chills in the backyard eating weeds... I throw him some random bad (not bad but) tomatoes that are good for the most part but with a hole eaten out of it. He/she seems to enjoy them
I have bunnies. I feed them lettuce and other veggies. Also just saw a mama deer and her baby...wicked cute

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Coming out of left field with this, but I just saw The Friends of Eddie Coyle for the first time (I know, I know). Holy hell what a Boston movie. The Garden scene at the end was just the most beautiful thing I've seen. I kept thinking "Please don't end, please don't end." Is there any better footage of what it was like at a the Boston Garden than that? I'm sure they had to pull some movie magic to make it happen, but you FEEL all cramped up with all those regular people cheering on the team. Must have been a spectacular time to be a Bruins fan. At the same time, the way that movie captures Boston as a run down roughed up city. Ooof. Pre-gentrification Boston is a sight!

Anyway, just wanted to share this here. I figure it's probably been talked about a million times here, but I was born and raised in Malden and cannot believe I missed this movie for so long.

You are absolutely right about the movie. One thing it got right was staging scenes in the near suburbs as well as downtown, since Boston proper is only a fraction of the area. The Red Line in Quincy(where Eddie lived), the train station in Sharon, the bank in Dedham, etc. One scene is shot on Memorial Drive near MIT's Baker dorm(just down the road from my frat house). At the old Garden, Eddie is sitting not far from my season seats in balcony 98.

1659478295422.png

Reactions: Si Hopkins

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
A local bridge storrowed a truck this afternoon:

• Haha
Reactions: Kovi

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Leno after the show took the crew out for a lavish dinner at one of Boston's finest dining options

View attachment 574204

NBC came very close to pulling the plug on the show and going to Letterman early.

It is a chaotic show for sure, but from the bits I watched it does work and it's entertaining in just how loose it is. No-one would bat an eyelid at it now, but of course 1993 was a different time and I can well see why TV execs back then would be getting very edgy!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Leno after the show took the crew out for a lavish dinner at one of Boston's finest dining options

View attachment 574204

NBC came very close to pulling the plug on the show and going to Letterman early.

Back in the day, I wanted a Buzzy's Roast Beef t-shirt so bad (the singer of my favorite local punk band, the guy in my avatar, wore one on the cover of an album) but they only gave them to employees. So since my first job was prep cook at a local restaurant, I told them I'd do a shift for a t-shirt. I did the busy time after the clubs let out, and got my t-shirt.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Back in the day, I wanted a Buzzy's Roast Beef t-shirt so bad (the singer of my favorite local punk band, the guy in my avatar, wore one on the cover of an album) but they only gave them to employees. So since my first job was prep cook at a local restaurant, I told them I'd do a shift for a t-shirt. I did the busy time after the clubs let out, and got my t-shirt.
I miss Buzzys. I went to Umass Boston and when I would have a large gap between classes I would get back on the train at JFK/Umass to Charles and go eat at Buzzys.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I miss Buzzys. I went to Umass Boston and when I would have a large gap between classes I would get back on the train at JFK/Umass to Charles and go eat at Buzzys.

Another Boston institution lost to progress.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The Red Line needs to be closed down as well
Orange line goes through heart of the city and also the poorest so that line makes the most sense to fix first and then you can work your way to the various red line branches

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jim owned The Rathskeller (The Rat) in Kenmore Square where he spent many years as part of the Boston music scene.
😥

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I have bunnies. I feed them lettuce and other veggies. Also just saw a mama deer and her baby...wicked cute
We have a lot of bunnies in the yard behind my building. In Daisy's younger years she would have wanted to chase them all. Nowadays she doesn't even notice them most of the time. I think her eyesight and sniffer aren't what they used to be, at age 15. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad