The defense is 1 piece away from being set.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And I know that piece isn't coming for awhile, probably closer to the deadline but I feel like this teams defense is 1 piece away from being set.

I am as confident in The top top 3 of Rielly, Tanev and McCabe as I've been in a top 3 on defense since Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin and I don't even really want count that because unfortunately Muzzin suffered a career ending injury.

So if we take that away, this trio is the most confident I've ever been in a top 3 trio.

If this team can find a way to add 1 more piece at some point in the season, preferably somebody with term like a Cam Fowler, or Rasmus Anderson or Connor Murphy, maybe Colton Parayko depending on which way St Louis goes, although a rental like Provorov would work too.

Somebody that can bump OEL to the 3rd pair then the defense is set.

I don't even hate OEL in the top 4 but if at some point they can add a piece that knocks him to the 3rd pair the defense becomes stacked.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Lots of teams in the same boat. It all comes down to logistics in today's NHL:

• Do we have the cap room?
  • Do we have assets to trade for this player?
Might be nice to maybe draft and develop a stud D someday, rather than plugging holes via trade (leaving our draft capital barren) & UFA (overpaying for aging veterans).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Might be nice to maybe draft and develop a stud D someday, rather than plugging holes via trade (leaving our draft capital barren) & UFA (overpaying for aging veterans).

It would be nice sure but this team is in full on win now mode, and will be for as long as Matthews is on this team.

It's not about development right now.

As for the cap space obviously we don't have it today, but they are going make some moves to clear cap space before the season because they literally have to, and that cap space will grow as the season progresses and by February who knows.

Reactions: Sypher04

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Lets wait and see first how a top 3 of Rielly, Tanev, amd McCabe soes before being so assured that they are good enough to be a cup winning backend

If they perform well, a big move for one of the names you noted makes sense ideally around midway mark of the year

If Tanev shows his age and declines quickly as is possible we need 2 top4 D at which point we need to toss this season and wait until summer when Marner and Tavarea deals expire ajd can assess our team build again.

Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lets wait and see first how a top 3 of Rielly, Tanev, amd McCabe soes before being so assured that they are good enough to be a cup winning backend

If they perform well, a big move for one of the names you noted makes sense ideally around midway mark of the year

If Tanev shows his age and declines quickly as is possible we need 2 top4 D at which point we need to toss this season and wait until summer when Marner and Tavarea deals expire ajd can assess our team build again.

There is no tossing this season or any other season that Auston Matthews is on this team.

Reactions: Buds17

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
There is no tossing this season or any other season that Auston Matthews is on this team.
This season will be a toss if the defense struggles and Tavares doesnt bounce back. The coach and management group may not wish for that, but the quality of the team will sort itself out and result in a quick playoffs exit

Dont have the assets to go out and make a major move

Treliving summer showed he wasnt looking to make a major change tobthe team, and he took gambles on Tanev and OEL being good fits and the missing piece to win

We are banking on Berube to be the answer. This team on paper is not better than 2021-2024 leaf teams, just hoping that his system and coaching is what was missing.

If that isnt the case, it will he the same group of players who have come up short playing R1 vs Bos or FlR most likely.

The actual contention can begin from 2024-2025 if we use the ~22M capspace being freed up to add 3-4 major pieces who outperform their AAVs (our reinhart, verhaghe, montour etc)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're correct Leafs are lacking a true #1 Dman.

However that solution was to either draft one instead of drafting wingers, and when the Leafs signed Tavares it should have resulted in Marner or Nylander being traded for a #1/top pairing Dman.

Instead of signing Tavares the Leafs should have waited and used that $$ on local Ontario born Alex Pietrangelo a UFA, who has now lead 2 teams STL and Vegas to Stanley Cups since Leafs signed Taveras.

1726925390860.png
1726925472504.png

Alex Pietrangelo on the Cup winning ST. Louis Blues & Vegas Golden Knights

Reactions: HolyCrap and rumman

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This season will be a toss if the defense struggles and Tavares doesnt bounce back. The coach and management group may not wish for that, but the quality of the team will sort itself out and result in a quick playoffs exit

Dont have the assets to go out and make a major move

Treliving summer showed he wasnt looking to make a major change tobthe team, and he took gambles on Tanev and OEL being good fits and the missing piece to win

We are banking on Berube to be the answer. This team on paper is not better than 2021-2024 leaf teams, just hoping that his system and coaching is what was missing.

If that isnt the case, it will he the same group of players who have come up short playing R1 vs Bos or FlR most likely.

The actual contention can begin from 2024-2025 if we use the ~22M capspace being freed up to add 3-4 major pieces who outperform their AAVs (our reinhart, verhaghe, montour etc)

I don't necessarily agree they don't have the assets, this is the only year they don't have a 1st round pick, every other year from 2026 on they could move their 1st round pick if they want too, and even their 2025 1st round pick could be moved it just means Chicago would be guaranteed the 2026 1st.

If they want to make a big move they could do it.

There is ALWAYS a way.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Moving in the right direction after years of Dubas being tone deaf and tunnel vision, but not there yet.

I would have felt better if we had signed Matt Roy as a UFA instead of Tanev for our 1RHD.

Definitely glad to see Brodie and Giordano gone, and loathed seeing us trot out 5LHD and only 1RHD (Liljegren), having 2 LHD playing their offside was ridiculous.

Much more balanced but we have too many what if’s to feel comfortable.

For our defence to improve, Tanev needs to stay healthy, Liljegren needs to take steps forward under Berube (I think he can), and OEL has to be steady.

We have no idea what we are getting from Hakanpaa, if he can even play, and if he can, at what level. Huge question mark there that could be a great gamble or another Klingberg-esque whiff.

I like the balance the additions bring. I like Tanev but he wasn’t my first choice and if he goes down or starts to decline, we will continue to have a glaring hole at 1RHD, while carrying a 34 year olds $4.5 million contract for 6 years.

At least Holl is gone……

Reactions: HolyCrap

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Moving in the right direction after years of Dubas being tone deaf and tunnel vision, but not there yet.

I would have felt better if we had signed Matt Roy as a UFA instead of Tanev for our 1RHD.

Definitely glad to see Brodie and Giordano gone, and loathed seeing us trot out 5LHD and only 1RHD (Liljegren), having 2 LHD playing their offside was ridiculous.

Much more balanced but we have too many what if’s to feel comfortable.

For our defence to improve, Tanev needs to stay healthy, Liljegren needs to take steps forward under Berube (I think he can), and OEL has to be steady.

We have no idea what we are getting from Hakanpaa, if he can even play, and if he can, at what level. Huge question mark there that could be a great gamble or another Klingberg-esque whiff.

I like the balance the additions bring. I like Tanev but he wasn’t my first choice and if he goes down or starts to decline, we will continue to have a glaring hole at 1RHD, while carrying a 34 year olds $4.5 million contract for 6 years.

At least Holl is gone……

It came out after that Matt Roy was a big target for them, he was the one the got away.

It sounded like it would have been Tanev and Roy and no OEL and if they had pulled that off they'd be set.

Still though I personally like what we've got I just think there is 1 piece missing.

MAJOR step in the right direction though.

It might be the best they’ve ever had on paper at this point of the season in years.

I don't think there is any "might" to it.

It is.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I’d hate to give up any picks or young assets this year.

It came out after that Matt Roy was a big target for them, he was the one the got away.

It sounded like it would have been Tanev and Roy and no OEL and if they had pulled that off they'd be set.

Still though I personally like what we've got I just think there is 1 piece missing.

MAJOR step in the right direction though.

I don't think there is any "might" to it.

It is.
Muzzin on paper might have been better than this group.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’d hate to give up any picks or young assets this year.

Muzzin on paper might have been better than this group.

Like I said in the OP Muzzin suffered a career ending injury.

But even if Rielly Brodie Muzzin had stayed together like it was supposed the depth of this group is still better in my opinion.

Because Muzzin started with Holl, and most of us wanted Holl fired into the sun,

Like I said I'd like to see another piece added to really stack but OEL is good enough to be top 4.

Holl never was.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Flip Lilly plus for two years of a retained Fowler and the D is set fir a couple of years, barring injury of course…….
Keep him and they’re set, set for what, I don’t know.

If these youngsters, Cowan in particular, are as good as they project, they’ll need to add some speed and skill on the backend. I’m really interested in watching Niemala in the preseason to see how much he’s improved.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Keep him and they’re set, set for what, I don’t know.

If these youngsters, Cowan in particular, are as good as they project, they’ll need to add some speed and skill on the backend. I’m really interested in watching Niemala in the preseason to see how much he’s improved.

They don't need lilly he's not the guy that pulls this defense but he is a guy you might be able to package to get that piece.

Reactions: rumman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They don't need lilly he's not the guy that pulls this defense but he is a guy you might be able to package to get that piece.
I’m not opposed to trading him, but he’s cheap, and if he keeps putting on good weight he might turn into their Bogosian, Gouda’s type.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's the guy you move to make the money work to get the real piece
If they can move him for a “real piece”, then yes, which is the case for every player in the organization, But if they’re moving him for another old, slow, about to retire player because of the cap crunch, then it doesn’t matter.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That's what I'm thinking, the plus would have to significant but if you add Fowler to this group You're set.
Yes the add would have to be a quality piece especially if the Ducks are retaining salary. I hate giving up assets for aging vets, but the window of opportunity seems to make this a no brainer………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m not opposed to trading him, but he’s cheap, and if he keeps putting on good weight he might turn into their Bogosian, Gouda’s type.
Imo, Lilly has as much chance of become a Bogosian/Gouda type D man as Freddie the Goat had of becoming a Tom Wilson type forward, neither Freddie or Lilly have had or will ever have a mean streak. I think he’s going to be the softest D man contending for a spot on the team with only Timmins being softer……….

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That's what I'm thinking, the plus would have to significant but if you add Fowler to this group You're set.
Fowler for Janrkrok + Lilijgren + 2nd + Niemela?

We should not deal our 1st for Fowler so hopefully that offer is enough

Fowler would make me much more confident tbh in this defense group

Rielly - Tanev
Fowler - McCabe
OEL - Benoit
Hakipana

Still wish we had gotten Roy or Pesce instead of Tanev as they will be better moving forward and are younger

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014

Tanev is getting on but he isn't ancient. Gio had his Norris season at 35. Hell, he was one of our best defenders when we got him at 38. Most see a dip around 32 then level off for about 5 years.

Brodie was an anomaly. A lot of off-ice stuff happened to the guy and he didnt really have the hockey IQ to compensate for the lost step. He may even have a bounceback if his new team puts him on his natural side

Injuries are a legitimate concern with Tanev, otherwise he'll be a beauty for us in the short term

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

Us draft a stud defenseman you'd think by now there would have fall face first into at least a top 2 3. Not drafted in the top 10, Rielly drafted 2 high, and Timmy Lil is just not that yet. Maybe OLE has a similar game and teach him how not to get killed. That said I am all in On Timmy Lil. I do like him. Just reckoned by now we have at least a hit in the 3rd plus rounds or heck even those 2nd rounders would be nice to turn out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad