Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
who cares about a hard camp if it didn't lead to results? sorry seeing athletes throw up doesn't rev up my engine

The only thing I can hope for is that its Green's true second chance, hopefully, he has become a better coach. This is it for him when you think about it, if he shits the bed here that's about it for him
The same thing could be said about everyone who comes here.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
They would have talked with Rick bowness through Ryan about Todd nelson right? Or maybe he had other plans. Would have been a little more hyped about that but I’m gonna give green man a very solid shot here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's the players that play the game not the coaches, it's the players who have to be accountable & play the right way, not the coaches & if they don't get solid goaltending all year long it won't matter who coaches this team. Show me a great goalie & I'll show you a great coach. Who is winning games for the Bruins the coach or the goaltending? If we get the same goaltending as last yr Scotty Bowman wouldn't be able to get these guys into the playoffs.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Throwing up does not make you ready to compete, it makes you sick and overtrained

Sleepy Steve better have a huge off season

This. I don't think anyone should be touting "bag skates" as some sort of useful training camp tactic.

Yes, you want want camp to have pace. And you want to, as closely and quickly as you can, mimic the intensity of real game scenarios.

But bag skating guys up and down the ice is utterly useless.

I recently watched a segment about how Andy Reid preps the Kansas City Chiefs for seasons and games. One of the greatest coaches and teams in pro sports. He's intense. He demands players be focused and ready to go from day 1. But he's not "sending" messages by making guys do burpees until they puke.

It's the players that play the game not the coaches, it's the players who have to be accountable & play the right way, not the coaches & if they don't get solid goaltending all year long it won't matter who coaches this team. Show me a great goalie & I'll show you a great coach, who is winning games for the Bruins the coach or the goaltending? If we get the same goaltending as last yr Scotty Bowman wouldn't be able to get these guys into the playoffs.

Green had great goalies in Vancouver. When he was there, his starter never had a SV% below .912. But they didn't do much winning.

So I don't think this applies to him.

Reactions: Relapsing

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Maybe. But I have no problem evaluating DJ Smith (nor do most people on this forum), who worked under even worse conditions, so I'm not going to cut Travis Green any slack because his GM was Jim Benning.

Jim Benning was a bad GM. Just like Pierre Dorion was a bad GM. But that doesn't absolve Smith or Green of their own shitty results.
I get it. But if we made a list of dysfunctional organizations and looked at how often their head coaches had success, what would we find?

I genuinely don’t know the answer but I suspect it wouldn’t be pretty. But even with that we have to acknowledge that dysfunctional organizations also generally have worse hiring practices and hire worse candidates. So then it’s hard to tell if it’s bad coach or bad circumstances. It could be both. I think you just have to leave room for the fact that it might not be.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

.... Ugh.

At this point, just leak how long his stupid contract is going to be.

If it's 2 years or less, I can live with that, I guess. That's a contract you can live with firing someone halfway through.

If we throw this guy a 3+ year contract? f***.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
What confuses me is why we're so antsy to get a new coach in place this early into the offseason. I guess they have some big decisions to make this offseason and want a coach in place for input on the moves, but it just seems a little rushed.

Would have been nice to wait and get a lay of the land after the playoffs are done. There are always a few surprise firings from teams that underperform in the playoffs. Would have preferred they wait a bit to see exactly who's available.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Green had Tanev in front of his Nucks rosters blocking shots left and right. Maybe having Green will get Tanev to come here

It's unfortunate that Tanev's play steadily declined under Green, starting in 17/18 when he first took over and really bottoming out in 19/20.

Nice, quick rebound once he got to Calgary though!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sure, if what you're looking for is doom scrolling, I was hoping for insight on how he runs a team, and Corrado provided a fair bit of it, did you listen to it yet? Some good stuff were what to expect.

I'm in office today so I can't have a listen right now.

Does he do like others where they just mention positives of previous coaches and teammates or is he honest?

I'm not interested in a rose coloured opinion. I want to know the pros and cons. What are his limitations? What are his weaknesses? What are his weaknesses that he has yet to address, specifically such as something he doesn't see as a weakness?

I never really put much into people in the business talking about others in the business because they're often too scared to throw others under the bus and there's mutual respect to just talk positively about everyone.

It's like when they ask the team about a coach. The sens weren't going to criticize DJ Smith even though there was plenty to criticize.

I'm more interested in the opinions of people who are not scared to criticize.

It's like hearing the recap of an upcoming 5th round pick prospect and the review is glowing about how he has an amazing shot and vision and great skating ability...ok, so why isn't he a top 3 pick?

You know what I mean?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I'm in office today so I can't have a listen right now.

Does he do like others where they just mention positives of previous coaches and teammates or is he honest?

I'm not interested in a rose coloured opinion. I want to know the pros and cons. What are his limitations? What are his weaknesses? What are his weaknesses that he has yet to address, specifically such as something he doesn't see as a weakness?

I never really put much into people in the business talking about others in the business because they're often too scared to throw others under the bus and there's mutual respect to just talk positively about everyone.

It's like when they ask the team about a coach. The sens weren't going to criticize DJ Smith even though there was plenty to criticize.

I'm more interested in the opinions of people who are not scared to criticize.

It's like hearing the recap of an upcoming 5th round pick prospect and the review is glowing about how he has an amazing shot and vision and great skating ability...ok, so why isn't he a top 3 pick?

You know what I mean?
His take was kind of fluffy. Didn’t really get into his flaws. I think they asked him about players not getting along with him, and he said that he doesn’t always tell you what you want to hear but he tells you what you need to hear.

I think Farhan had a more balanced take yesterday, where he acknowledged the players weren’t ready to be coached but also said Green could’ve communicated differently when mistakes were made. He did say he believes he learned from it, but who knows.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
.... Ugh.

At this point, just leak how long his stupid contract is going to be.

If it's 2 years or less, I can live with that, I guess. That's a contract you can live with firing someone halfway through.

If we throw this guy a 3+ year contract? f***.
We gave him a 4 year contract.

f*** you Steve.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Have you ever in your entire life seen an analyst slam a coaching hire on TV?

Honest question, because I haven’t.

Every single time a coach is hired, we hear about what a great fit he is.

Maybe Kypreos’ line about cost being a factor might be the closest I’ve seen.

In general I think they wear kid gloves when it comes to talking about coaches during their tenure because they’re either friends or they want continued access for interviews and insight.

It’s only after a coach gets canned that the stories all start to pour out.

Personally, the endorsement of anyone I see on TV has zero impact on my expectations because I’ve seen it so so so many times before.

As for Green’s past, they could hire Darcy Tucker and I wouldn’t bat an eye, if the team improved. I don’t care who he played for. As for his playing career against us, Travis Green was a huge factor in that one series because of his face off ability. All Toronto played for was a whistle in their own zone and the puck would be out of the zone. No amount of pressure led to any momentum because we lost every offensive zone faceoff with him out there.

Could he be the right guy? Sure, of course. Most coaches lose before they win and become “great coaches”. But I’m not going to lie to myself about my level of enthusiasm about this hire at this point in time.
Corrado has talked about Green long before he was even in the running as sens coach. He actually played for him. You don't have to consider his opinion. That's your own prerogative but before completely dismissing it maybe give him a listen and take all of the facts into consideration before throwing it away.

Here's the link if you want to give it a shot.

I agree with you I don't care where the guy came from all that matters is results. I've said it multiple times in this thread Green wasn't remotely close to the top of my list. However I am willing to be objective when I analyse this decision. Based on the information gathered his coaching style and style of playe he wants and tries to get his team to play coincide with what I believe this team needs.

As @Micklebot pointed out this interview gives real insight into how he plans on coaching. How he wants his teams to play, how he runs his camps. Corrado was clearly one of Green's guys. So I'm sure other players have a different perspective. Thats not lost on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Why is that an issue? It has no cap implications, so long as we are willing to fire him if it doesn't work out what impact does this have?
It shows impatience from management. Give the guy who doesn't have a successful coaching record a 2 years deal to see if its the right fit. If he performs, extend him, if he doesn't, let him go. 4 years implies more commitment to him which is not exactly inspiring.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Corrado has talked about Green long before he was even in the running as sens coach. He actually played for him. You don't have to consider his opinion. That's your own prerogative but before completely dismissing it maybe give him a listen and take all of the facts into consideration before throwing it away.

Here's the link if you want to give it a shot.

Frank Corrado played for him in the AHL.

Coaching AHL teams is quite different than coaching NHL teams. The perspective of a player just trying to carve out a multi-year pro career will be very different than the perspective of a player making millions and trying to win a Stanley Cup.

It's a nice soundbite, but it is what it is.

I'd be much more interested in hearing what Tkachuk's buddies Quinn and Jack Hughes have said in their group chat.

Sadly, we'll never know.

Why is that an issue? It has no cap implications, so long as we are willing to fire him if it doesn't work out what impact does this have?

Andlauer doesn't want to pay players not to play for the team, so I doubt he'll want to pay coaches not to coach the team.

We're not the Leafs. So let's not pretend like contract length doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad