Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's very bizarre to me

Coaches can make a difference, that's why they're unterviewing and choosing who they think fits what they want. A guy who fits their vision and style is whats important to bringing a team like this group of hodge podge together

A coach only goes as far as his players take him.

Show me a good goalie or team, and I'll show you someone who at least looks like a good coach

Show me a bad team, and a bad goalie, and then your coach is likely getting fired, regardless of who the coach is
Yeah but why take that as a green light to hire ANYBODY.

Some coaches are good and some are bad regardless of other factors
If korpisalo plays like he did this year yeah it won’t matter if we sign berube bowman or re hire DJ smith

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I'm a but stunned. I hope he has a generational staff that stays a while I guess.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
I'm a but stunned. I hope he has a generational staff that stays a while I guess.

Will you be excited when John Gruden is named the associate head coach? Because that's happening.

You can bet that candidates like McLellan wanted to hire their own staffs. That was a no go for Andlauer, who wants to hire the guys he used to drink beers with in Hamilton.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think most of the optimism here is purely because Staios isn't Dorion and we 'want' him to be good.

This is a tremendously uninspiring hire. Quite frankly, absolutely nothing Staios has done has led me to believe he'll do a good job. Benefit of the doubt... just getting atarted... yeah-yeah-yeah.. It's time to show us something.

Waited way too long to act on Dorion. Waited way too long to act on Smith. Did nothing at all at the deadline or throughout the season to help the team either. Waited (too long?) to hire a coach. Now hiring a head coach that's on his third job without ever having any success. You can come up with some form of justification for all of those things but we're pretty close to forming a trend here.
I don’t think it’s optimism to say it can be tough to evaluate head coaches based on the little info we have. Or just wait and see what Staios does with this team.

It is uninspiring, but it doesn’t mean it’s bad. I think Staios says all the right things, but how he executes remains to be seen. It’s just on HF anything other than “the sky is falling” is considered optimistic.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Will you be excited when John Gruden is named the associate head coach? Because that's happening.

You can bet that candidates like McLellan wanted to hire their own staffs. That was a no go for Andlauer, who wants to hire the guys he used to drink beers with in Hamilton.
Oh. Then yes, I'd be a lot happier if Gruden is named associate head coach. Is this a thing?

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
I wonder if basically nobody good is willing to coach here for less than an ungodly amount of money.

If nobody wants to work for Staios because they don't believe in him, that's a pretty indictment on Andlauer for hiring him as a rookie President of Hockey Ops.

Reactions: Relapsing

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Unless this proves to be wrong, I'm just going to operate on the assumption that our franchise is cursed, and doomed to mediocrity. At least then I can just tune in periodically and enjoy how funny it is to watch this team rinse and repeat the same BS year to year.

Can we get rid of Capuano now?
Non zero sum chance he sticks around for continuity.

Staois has a lot of explaining and a lot of selling to do on this one.

I sometimes wonder if they appreciate just how fed up this market is.
Something tells me they have underestimated just how taxing it has been to be into this team at a level beyond a casual fan.

In an environment of most people being more cash strapped than ever, I can think of 100 different ways to spend my entertainment money and time than to watch a team that doesn't seem intent on doing much of anything right now beyond sucking at the teat of mediocrity.

I cannot believe that there wasn't an easy win available to Staios here. A hire that both moves the needle for fans, and matches whatever the hell it is he wants to do with this team, whatever that is.

My only acceptable scenario for this hire is a 1 year deal that is not extended in-season.
I wonder if basically nobody good is willing to coach here for less than an ungodly amount of money.
Then Andlauer should have hired the coach first, and bought that ugly, ridiculous box of modernity he calls a home on Dows Lake.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can't blame anyone for being pissed. I'm prepared to let it run it's course, but no doubt that name lands with a massive thud compared to all the other rumored ones.

I just hope it wasn't like in years passed where they had a thin pool because they wouldn't pay. I hope they genuinely thought he was the best out of the guys willing to sign.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DJ Smith 2.0?
Not even close. I liked Greene when he went to Vancouver. I think he is going to be a good coach here. Imagine ... knowing how to evaluate a coach first of all and then going through interviews on approaches and details of the game and communication with players... and hearing enough to select your coach. Have fans that look up hockeydb and have some misguided preconceived notions based on very close to nothing be critical of the person selected and the person doing the selecting.

Greene is a tactical x's and o's coach that is also a player's coach.. That combo may just be the ticket here.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We are a very hard sell, that much is for certain. That is what happens when the previous raging alcoholic owner and his idiot yesman GM ruined pretty much everything about the franchise. It is going to take a very long time to get back to being respectable.

I wasn't expecting Berube, he can pick where he goes, but Travis Green's tenure in Vancouver was a total disaster and New Jersey's implosion this year isn't very encouraging either.... Staios gets the benefit of the doubt so let's see but the first impression, if we hire Green, is very bad.

Reactions: saskriders
Oct 10, 2010
Yeah but why take that as a green light to hire ANYBODY.

Some coaches are good and some are bad regardless of other factors
If korpisalo plays like he did this year yeah it won’t matter if we sign berube bowman or re hire DJ smith
If Korpisalo is our starter, Andlauer should sell the team back to Melnyk because that would be so brutal.

We can’t be patient on that trash can we gotta win Andlauer and the ownership group need to flex its financial muscles and eat that crap.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Then Andlauer should have hired the coach first, and bought that ugly, ridiculous box of modernity he calls a home on Dows Lake.

Wait, Andlauer bought that (was it $6M?) monstrosity that looks like the headquarters of a fledgling crypto trading firm on the outskirts of Orlando?

That gives me no confidence in his taste.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think most of the optimism here is purely because Staios isn't Dorion and we 'want' him to be good.

This is a tremendously uninspiring hire. Quite frankly, absolutely nothing Staios has done has led me to believe he'll do a good job. Benefit of the doubt... just getting atarted... yeah-yeah-yeah.. It's time to show us something.

Waited way too long to act on Dorion. Waited way too long to act on Smith. Did nothing at all at the deadline or throughout the season to help the team either. Waited (too long?) to hire a coach. Now hiring a head coach that's on his third job without ever having any success. You can come up with some form of justification for all of those things but we're pretty close to forming a trend here.
It's not just the Dorion angle, it's also the ownership. They wouldn't pay, so they had an incredibly limited pool to choose from. I'm really hoping that isn't why we landed on Green and they genuinely just thought he was a good candidate compared to some that might make more.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad