CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
They're doing 43 games and summer only so talks are ongoing for at least one additional networks ti cove the rest.

Any idea how many subscribers CBSSN has?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They're doing 43 games and summer only so talks are ongoing for at least one additional networks ti cove the rest.

Any idea how many subscribers CBSSN has?
Makes sense since nhl and nba end in June and the cfl season begins in May. They could use the programming.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL draft yesterday. With the number of Canadians going to NFL this year (5 drafted, 2 udfa) it had this class as less pro ready players than years past. But still important to restock on Canadian talent.

Just 1 week left before at least some teams open rookie camp (for Bombers that's May 10).

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I know I’m dating myself, but Joe Kapp passed away. Use to watch him play growing up for the lions. He’s the only reason I ate squirrel peanut butter!!

Long time lurker who had to re register!
And a favorite for beating up Angelo Mosca 10 years ago.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Training camps are underway, here's the pre-season schedule

May 22 - Edmonton at Calgary
May 26 - Montreal at Ottawa
May 27 - Winnipeg at Edmonton
May 27 - Toronto at Hamilton
May 27 - BC at Saskatchewan
June 1 - Ottawa at Toronto
June 1 - Calgary at BC
June 2 - Hamilton at Montreal
June 2 - Saskatchewan at Winnipeg

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Training camps are underway, here's the pre-season schedule

May 22 - Edmonton at Calgary
May 26 - Montreal at Ottawa
May 27 - Winnipeg at Edmonton
May 27 - Toronto at Hamilton
May 27 - BC at Saskatchewan
June 1 - Ottawa at Toronto
June 1 - Calgary at BC
June 2 - Hamilton at Montreal
June 2 - Saskatchewan at Winnipeg

Can't wait to get started here. I actually went out to TC for the Bombers on the weekend.

Didn't realize EDM v CGY played next week already. That's only 6 days away. Both Alberta teams had to practice indoors today due to air quality concerns from the wildfires going on out there. Hopefully they will be able to play 6 days from now.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Anyone interested will be able to watch every pre-season game: Where To Watch: 2023 Broadcast information - CFL.ca

It would be damn ironic if an American TV deal can help save the CFL, but I've been saying for a few years now that this league's best bet to survive and thrive long term, IMO, is to make it the best possible TV product they can. TV numbers haven't dwindled the same way attendance has, there is still interest in consuming the product.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Anyone interested will be able to watch every pre-season game: Where To Watch: 2023 Broadcast information - CFL.ca

It would be damn ironic if an American TV deal can help save the CFL, but I've been saying for a few years now that this league's best bet to survive and thrive long term, IMO, is to make it the best possible TV product they can. TV numbers haven't dwindled the same way attendance has, there is still interest in consuming the product.
CFL football returns today! Your hometown Edmonton Elks there @Kyle McMahon (even though I know and don't blame any "complicated" feelings regarding the team considering the last half decade haha) vs Calgary. I'm gonna watch since I miss CFL football and I love that I can watch all the pre-season games now.

The deal the CFL just signed this off-season isn't going to "save" the league but it's a huge improvement. Numbers of the CBS deal were reported as around 1 mil per season. About 100k a team. Not earth shattering numbers, but considering that's around 10x higher than the previous deal it's certainly a start. The TSN deal is up soon as well (2025ish I think) and it's rumoured to be an undervalued deal. So we'll see then probably what the long term health of the league is looking like. The domestic TV deal is always going to be the biggest decider on if the league survives. Despite the disrespect some attribute to TSN with regards to CFL, it's one of the last remaining key rights deals TSN has left. If Sportsnet wants to end competition from TSN, they could potentially do it by nabbing the CFL rights, IMO. And a bidding war would be great for CFL.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
CFL football returns today! Your hometown Edmonton Elks there @Kyle McMahon (even though I know and don't blame any "complicated" feelings regarding the team considering the last half decade haha) vs Calgary. I'm gonna watch since I miss CFL football and I love that I can watch all the pre-season games now.

The deal the CFL just signed this off-season isn't going to "save" the league but it's a huge improvement. Numbers of the CBS deal were reported as around 1 mil per season. About 100k a team. Not earth shattering numbers, but considering that's around 10x higher than the previous deal it's certainly a start. The TSN deal is up soon as well (2025ish I think) and it's rumoured to be an undervalued deal. So we'll see then probably what the long term health of the league is looking like. The domestic TV deal is always going to be the biggest decider on if the league survives. Despite the disrespect some attribute to TSN with regards to CFL, it's one of the last remaining key rights deals TSN has left. If Sportsnet wants to end competition from TSN, they could potentially do it by nabbing the CFL rights, IMO. And a bidding war would be great for CFL.

Haha complicated feelings aside, I'll be watching. The thing about the CFL is you really do get a clean slate each new season because you never really know who might show up to camp and become an instant star.

Crucial year in Edmonton and really the league as a whole I think. The covid reasons should be fully in the rearview by now and the economy seemingly hasn't become as bad as a lot of predictions. Teams should be able to get more asses in seats. I caved and got season tickets with the club in dire straits, pretty sad state of affairs when that's the thought process, but gotta help keep the lights on there. Maybe the team can even win a game one of these days, haha.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
First game on the new CFL Plus and it goes to a weather delay at halftime. Even when the CFL does things right, it all somehow conspires to go wrong for them :biglaugh:

To be honest though I watched the first half and it was fairly impressive. I expected it to just be one camera, and look very rough. But the broadcast looked real sleek, presentation is well done. I think it'll work well for the CFL. Of course for those of us in Canada it'll only be for pre-season, but still solidly done.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Surprised the played that game at all in Calgary.

If those fires were enough to cause air quality to tank two provinces over to the point environment canada put out air quality warnings, i can't imagine it was fun to be near the epicenter.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Season starts on Thursday. Figured I'd look back on last year's predictions to see how I did
Season starts on Thursday. Cant wait.

My predictions
West
Wpg 13-5
Cgy 11-7
Sask 9-9
Edm 7-11
Bc 5-13

East
Mtl 11-7
Tor 10-8
Ham 8-10
Ott 7-11

Playoffs
Sask beats Cgy
Tor beats Ham

Wpg beats Sask
Tor beats Mtl

Grey Cup
Wpg beats Tor

Yeah i think Wpg can go for the 3 peat!
Actual Final Standings...
Wpg 15-3
BC 12-6
CGY 12-6
Sask 6-12
Edm 4-14
Tor 11-7
Mtl 9-9
Ham 8-10
Ott 4-14

BC was my big miss in 2022, I didn't see Nathan Rourke coming. To be fair, I don't think anyone really did. Nailed the Grey Cup though, and the result should have been what I said if not for some flukey play by a reality TV jackass.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Onto my 2023 predictions

West Division
WPG 13-5
CGY 12-6
BC 11-7
EDM 9-9
SASK 5-13

East Division
HAM 10-8
OTT 9-9
TOR 7-11
MTL 5-13

In the West I still think it runs through Winnipeg. Of course I'm biased but I think this core still has another year left in them. I doubt they can repeat 15-3 though, Bombers have had too much injury luck with regards to Zach Collaros, I think Dru Brown will be needed to start a half dozen game this year. Calgary remains a quality team, that run game will be an anchor for them. My biggest concern with Calgary is I remain unconvinced Maier can push the ball down field enough. BC is interesting, without Rourke. But I think they have plenty of playmakers up and down the roster to keep them competitive. Edmonton as well has plenty of playmakers on O, question marks abound about that D though, IMO. Sask is gonna be garbage, IMO. Trevor Harris is not a winner, and that OL is going to be eaten alive all year. Bombers shut down their run game in the pre-season with guys who won't even be around by time season starts against Sask's #1's.

The East is a jumble of storylines. I took Hamilton to win it based almost solely on Steinhauer. I think he's a great coach and will get the last bit of juice out of Bo Levi, enough to win what is a fairly weak east again, IMO. Ottawa will rebound, they have plenty of QB talent I think between Masoli and Tyrie Adams. As for Toronto, I don't believe you can enter a year as inexperienced at QB as TOR is and expect to win a lot of games. Chad Kelly won't make it the year as the starter. Being so cheap at QB has allowed them enough talent elsewhere to make sure they will be competitive at times, but I don't think they stay in it long term. Montreal losing so many FA's due to ownership and relying on Maas and Fajardo? Last place for them.

Semi-Finals
Calgary defeats BC
Ottawa defeats Edmonton

Division Finals
Winnipeg defeats Calgary
Ottawa defeats Hamilton

Grey Cup
Winnipeg defeats Ottawa

Yup I'm taking Winnipeg again. I fully believe this veteran core is gonna take one more stab at it and not let it go. This may be the last year they'll be able to keep all the pieces together and they are a very motivated bunch after last year's disappointment.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
West

1. WPG 13-5
2. CGY 10-8
3. BC 9-9
4. EDM 9-9
5. SSK 6-12

East

1. HAM 11-7
2. MTL 8-10
3. TOR 8-10
4. OTT 7-11

Hamilton takes revenge on Winnipeg and wins the Grey Cup at home.

Winnipeg is too strong at just about every position to slip out of first place this year, and I don't think Calgary is going to push them that hard unless Maier shows more growth than he did in the second half of last season. BC having both Adams and Evans available will be a strength, but I don't think they're anything special without Rourke. Edmonton could excite on offense, but the defense remains a question mark and special teams is poised to disappoint as usual. I suspect Sask's porous offensive line will have Harris looking old and slow and I would be very surprised if he's anywhere near as effective as last year.

Hamilton has stabilized the QB position, even if Bo-Levi is on the back 9. They should commit far fewer turnovers this season and rebound back to being a contender. The rest of the Eastern teams will be hit-and-miss. I don't have a lot of faith in the Maas/Fajardo combo, but I still like the Als QB situation better than Toronto or Ottawa's. The Argos have good depth at various positions, but going into a season with basically a rookie starter with nobody to back him up could prove disastrous. Dyce replacing Lapolice should improve the Redblacks abysmal offense, but a lot is riding on injury-prone Masoli and his rebuilt knees.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The league feels weirdly weaker than it has in years past. Usually there'd be at least two teams you would look at and go "yup they got what it takes." Maybe even 3.

Now it feels like the Bombers at the head of the pack and everyone else is significantly behind. Calgary's magic running out, BC losing Rourke, Saskatchewan being coached by a dunce and the East in general still being garbage.

I'm not complaining by any means since this is our reward for putting up with a clown show organization for most of my life pre O'Shea but i can't imagine it's good for the league as a whole.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
All the signs for the CFL are pointing up right now. Edmonton is reportedly looking at over 30K for their season opener, some are saying they may get to 35K in attendance. The CFL pre-season TV numbers eclipsed some regular season games from last year, even as more and more people cut the cord. Early signs are encouraging for the year.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The league feels weirdly weaker than it has in years past. Usually there'd be at least two teams you would look at and go "yup they got what it takes." Maybe even 3.

Now it feels like the Bombers at the head of the pack and everyone else is significantly behind. Calgary's magic running out, BC losing Rourke, Saskatchewan being coached by a dunce and the East in general still being garbage.

I'm not complaining by any means since this is our reward for putting up with a clown show organization for most of my life pre O'Shea but i can't imagine it's good for the league as a whole.

You had to experience the Jeff Reinbold era man, come on.
That was entertainment at its finest.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The moment is finally at hand, Week 1 of a new CFL season.

BC at Calgary Thu. 9PM ET
  • There's new starting QBs in both locales. Jake Maier now has the full time reins in Calgary, while Nathan Rourke's departure to the NFL means Vernon Adams has the number one job with the Lions.
Hamilton at Winnipeg Fri. 8:30PM ET
  • The Tiger-Cats brought in Bo Levi Mitchell from Calgary in their latest attempt to end their Grey Cup drought. 1999 is still the most recent title for Hamilton (and they get to host the game again this season). In Winnipeg, the Blue Bombers came up short in the big game last season, but are looking very strong for getting their again this year.
Ottawa at Montreal Sat. 7PM ET
  • Ooof. This might be the worst game of Week 1. The Alouettes for some reason are putting their faith in Cody Fajardo at QB and Jason Maas at head coach. Meanwhile an injury to Jeremiah Masoli could put Ottawa in an early hole.
Saskatchewan at Edmonton Sun. 7PM ET
  • A new feature on the CFL schedule is a lot more Sunday night games (at least at the start of the season when you don't have a certain other football league to contend with). The first one has the Elks home opener against Saskatchewan, although there won't be much of a home field advantage since Edmonton hasn't won a home game in almost four years and you'll have a boatload of Rider fans invading Commonwealth.
Bye Week - Toronto. Most other sports leagues make a point to showcase the defending champs at the start of the season. Kinda hard to do when the Argos are practically ghosts in their own town. You might be lucky to find five people in Toronto who can name who their starting QB is.

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
All the signs for the CFL are pointing up right now. Edmonton is reportedly looking at over 30K for their season opener, some are saying they may get to 35K in attendance. The CFL pre-season TV numbers eclipsed some regular season games from last year, even as more and more people cut the cord. Early signs are encouraging for the year.
Edmonton has significantly reduced their ticket prices. They are selling a lot of $17 tickets

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

A crowd like that for a team that has literally never won a home game would be a very encouraging sign. Where did you here they're expecting a big crowd? It was pretty sparse at the pre-season game. The lack of Canadian interest in the NHL playoffs for the last 3 weeks gave the league the opportunity to get some buzz going, I guess we'll see what crowds are like in the first two weeks.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
A crowd like that for a team that has literally never won a home game would be a very encouraging sign. Where did you here they're expecting a big crowd? It was pretty sparse at the pre-season game. The lack of Canadian interest in the NHL playoffs for the last 3 weeks gave the league the opportunity to get some buzz going, I guess we'll see what crowds are like in the first two weeks.

Just this twitter post, but I've seen them be pretty spot on in the past.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Bomber game will get to a sellout. They always tend to do pretty well on walkup/right before gametime sales.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad