CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Redblacks did not win a home game either. 2 teams in a 9 team league don't win a single home game. How does that happen...

Home teams across the league went 36-44 this season (37 home wins if you give Toronto a home win in TD Atlantic). I'm not sure if that's a record or not, but you'd have to think it is. Remove Winnipeg from the equation and it's 28-43...there's a lot of reasons for declining attendance numbers, but fans outside of Winnipeg being sent home disappointed 60% of the time surely didn't help.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
We'll see I guess, but it's tough to not play for months then return at a time when your opponent is going to pull out all the stops to beat you. Not sure a few tosses in a meaningless game really got him back in rhythm. Truthfully this league needs a story like a Canadian QB winning the Grey Cup, glad to hear the Lions sold a bunch of tickets for the playoff game.
I guess we will see, but you can tell Bomber's fans are scared of him.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think Calgary is being slept on. Tonight pending, they could have won every single game they played this year, never losing by more than 7 points, and all those losses coming in the dying minutes. Some close wins too obviously, but that's pretty impressive. Even Winnipeg got blown out once. Tough to come out of the 3-hole, especially in the west, but it does happen. Stamps have a better cold-weather offense than Winnipeg IMO, and I think they've got a real shot if they survive BC next week.

Bombers are better than Stamps or Leos, but it's really damn tough string together wins like this in November. Five and counting is already extremely impressive, I can't even remember that happening in my 25 years watching the league. Hate to say it, but the landmine of CFL playoff randomness is looming large. Still, I could really only seriously envision them losing to Calgary. I don't think Rourke is going to be in good enough form to win there in November, and anyone out of the East would be a serious underdog, especially in Regina.

Bombers fans feel the same way. Almost all the Bomber fans I know are hoping to see BC come in Winnipeg on Nov 13, Rourke or not. Rourke is great, don't get me wrong, but the Stamps are the scarier team. The weather for one would help to be BC coming rather than CGY. And Rourke could barely move out there, there's no chance he's 100%. Nevermind the rest of BCs injuries. Calgary's run game and defense blows BC out of the water even when BC is healthy.

So yeah go Lions this week for sure.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Bombers fans feel the same way. Almost all the Bomber fans I know are hoping to see BC come in Winnipeg on Nov 13, Rourke or not. Rourke is great, don't get me wrong, but the Stamps are the scarier team. The weather for one would help to be BC coming rather than CGY. And Rourke could barely move out there, there's no chance he's 100%. Nevermind the rest of BCs injuries. Calgary's run game and defense blows BC out of the water even when BC is healthy.

So yeah go Lions this week for sure.

BC really didn't improve year over year to my eye, besides Rourke exploding. Really quite ordinary at just about every position across the board. Can't disagree with Bombers fans hoping to see them in two weeks, but the fan in me wants to see Calgary make it there. All three Stamps-Bombers games this year were great.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
BC really didn't improve year over year to my eye, besides Rourke exploding. Really quite ordinary at just about every position across the board. Can't disagree with Bombers fans hoping to see them in two weeks, but the fan in me wants to see Calgary make it there. All three Stamps-Bombers games this year were great.
Is this a joke.

A QB who was set to put up godly numbers.

Three, one thousand yard recievers.

An Oline that opened up holes for a thousand yard running back and cut down on the sacks.

A Dline with so much depth it's scary.

An improved secondary .

Plus improved kicking.

Great improved from 2021 to 2022

Reactions: hoglund

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Playoff football is at hand in the CFL with the Division Semi-Finals

Hamilton at Montreal Sun. 1PM ET
- Season Series - MTL 2-1
- Playoff History - HAM 18-10
- Last Playoff Meeting - 2021 East semi, HAM won 23-12
The Tiger-Cats somewhat surprisingly come in as the hottest team in the league winning their last four games. They will have to win two road games to get back to the Grey Cup and Hamilton had the leagues worst road record at 2-7. The Alouettes had a somewhat pedestrian 4-5 record at home and Montreal has not won a playoff game since 2014.

Calgary at BC Sun. 4:30PM ET
- Season Series - BC 2-1
- Playoff History - CGY 11-4
- Last Playoff Meeting - 2016 West Final, CGY won 42-15
These two teams had the most interesting QB stories of the season. The Stampeders saw Jake Maier usurp Bo Levi Mitchell as the starter in Calgary, while the Lions have Nathan Rourke back in their lineup, but his mobility isn't quite what it was before his foot injury. Calgary has also won the last five playoff meeting with BC, the Lions last postseason win against the Stampeders was the 2000 West Final.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is this a joke.

A QB who was set to put up godly numbers.

Three, one thousand yard recievers.

An Oline that opened up holes for a thousand yard running back and cut down on the sacks.

A Dline with so much depth it's scary.

An improved secondary .

Plus improved kicking.

Great improved from 2021 to 2022

BC without Rourke looked pretty similar to BC of 2021. Burnham and Whitehead were among the league leaders in receiving last year, adding Rhymes was nice but it's not like receiver was some big weakness.

The O-line was better, I'll agree with that. I wouldn't say Butler and the running game really scares anyone though.

I thought the D-line looked great earlier in the season but faded as the year went on. Secondary has been fine but wasn't a problem previously.

Rourke was worth about 4 wins IMO. He was that good. I could be wrong, but the same roster with Adams starting all 18 games probably ends up around 9-9.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
BC without Rourke looked pretty similar to BC of 2021. Burnham and Whitehead were among the league leaders in receiving last year, adding Rhymes was nice but it's not like receiver was some big weakness.

The O-line was better, I'll agree with that. I wouldn't say Butler and the running game really scares anyone though.

I thought the D-line looked great earlier in the season but faded as the year went on. Secondary has been fine but wasn't a problem previously.

Rourke was worth about 4 wins IMO. He was that good. I could be wrong, but the same roster with Adams starting all 18 games probably ends up around 9-9.
No Menard, Betts, Gwachum and the rookie from USC were still getting pressure from the defensive end spot at the end of the season. The defensive tackles aren't too bad either.

When your halfback finishes second in rushing, than yes other team are scared of him. I believe he led all halfbacks in recieving too.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think Calgary is being slept on. Tonight pending, they could have won every single game they played this year, never losing by more than 7 points, and all those losses coming in the dying minutes. Some close wins too obviously, but that's pretty impressive. Even Winnipeg got blown out once. Tough to come out of the 3-hole, especially in the west, but it does happen. Stamps have a better cold-weather offense than Winnipeg IMO, and I think they've got a real shot if they survive BC next week.

Bombers are better than Stamps or Leos, but it's really damn tough string together wins like this in November. Five and counting is already extremely impressive, I can't even remember that happening in my 25 years watching the league. Hate to say it, but the landmine of CFL playoff randomness is looming large. Still, I could really only seriously envision them losing to Calgary. I don't think Rourke is going to be in good enough form to win there in November, and anyone out of the East would be a serious underdog, especially in Regina.
Now that Calgary is out, I really hope you’re right, my friend.

Time will tell.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm predicting a Montreal-Winnipeg Grey Cup. I don't have a lot of faith that Bethel-Thompson can win a big game, and the Als are coming in with momentum and a versatile running game with the Fletcher/Stanback combo. Limiting how often Harris has to stand in the pocket and wait for plays to develop will be crucial. I think the Als win a tight one.

I wouldn't go as far as calling Bombers-Leos the true Grey Cup, but I do think this will be Winnipeg's stiffest challenge. Supposed to be cold this afternoon, not terribly so, but enough to benefit the home side. Collaros has lots experience throwing in sub zero temps, Rourke does not. You also wonder about the kid's mobility on frozen turf with a recovering foot. I think we'll have a game on our hands, but the champs will outlast BC.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
The fact this weak Bombers team is likely to win a 3rd Grey Cup in a row with a shit coach like Mike O'Shea really shows how bad the league has become.

Obviously there are factors involved to water down the league but this Bombers team doesn't make the play-offs in the 90's and are slaughtered by the peak BLM Stampeders as well.

i guess congrats to them for taking advantage of a weak league but this team absolutely sucks, they just suck slightly less than the other teams.

• Haha
Reactions: snowkiddin

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think it's fair to say the relative weakness of the league in 2021 and 2022 has helped a great Winnipeg team look that much better, but I have no doubt they'd still contend for the Grey Cup with this roster if you plunked them into any season of the last 15 years. It's unbelievably hard for a franchise to win 6 straight playoff games and counting, and they did not face chumps in a single one of them.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The fact this weak Bombers team is likely to win a 3rd Grey Cup in a row with a shit coach like Mike O'Shea really shows how bad the league has become.

Obviously there are factors involved to water down the league but this Bombers team doesn't make the play-offs in the 90's and are slaughtered by the peak BLM Stampeders as well.

i guess congrats to them for taking advantage of a weak league but this team absolutely sucks, they just suck slightly less than the other teams.
One of the worst ever takes in the CFL thread. Congratulations!:thumbu:

O'Shea appears to be progressing towards one of the best coaches the CFL has ever seen. The Bombers quarterback, Zach Collaros, was every bit as good as a prime Bo Levi Mitchell back in 2015-2016 but injuries derailed him both those seasons. In fact, he was the favorite for the MVP back in 2015 before his injury finished his season. Now that he has a great team around him, he has been able to play to his full potential.

To say the Bombers would have been slaughtered by 90s teams is asinine at best. The players today, in general, are more athletic than they have ever been. Not to mention that back in the 90s, there were 10 Canadian starters on the field when there was far less Canadian talent compared to today's 7 starters. With nearly half the starting lineup made up of Canadians (and with usually a few of those being linebackers/defensive backs) it was easier for QBs to rack up massive passing yardage against opposing defenses, hence why we saw a decent number of quarterbacks throwing for well in excess of 5000 yards from the early to mid-90s. Those quarterbacks also didn't have to deal with the constant defensive substitutions (one of the consequences of expanded rosters from the 39 in the 90s) that allow fresh sets of legs on the field in today's game.

What the Bombers have been able to do despite losing some of the best talent in the league to other teams and the NFL over the past few seasons in a testament to management and coaching. They lost:

-the best situational quarterback in the league in Streveler to the NFL nearly 3 years ago
-one of the best defensive backs in the CFL in Marcus Sayles to the NFL and then BC.
-the best receiver in the league in Kenny Lawler to Edmonton
-possibly the best Canadian guard and all-star, Drew Desjarlais, to the NFL
-an excellent Canadian defensive tackle, and probable future CFL all star, Jonathan Kongbo, to the NFL
-CFL rookie of the year and CFL all star and one of the best defensive backs in the league, Dee Alford, to the NFL
-the best running back in the league (at the time), Andrew Harris, to Toronto
-the best field goal kicker/punter in the league in Justin Medlock to retirement 3 years ago.

among others...

The Bombers have responded with a dominant 15-3 season, adding:

-likely rookie of the year and the CFL's leading receiver in Schoen
-one of the best running backs in the league in Oliviera a couple years ago
-possibly the best shutdown defensive back and all-star Dietrich Nichols
-key new additions to the O-line Geoff Gray.

among others as well...

As of this moment, the Bombers are the closest of any pro team in Canada has been to a dynasty since the Oilers of 1984-90 and any CFL team since the Eskimos 40 years ago. This is something the Bo Levi Mitchell Stamps never came close to failing to win even 2 in a row.

I think it's fair to say the relative weakness of the league in 2021 and 2022 has helped a great Winnipeg team look that much better, but I have no doubt they'd still contend for the Grey Cup with this roster if you plunked them into any season of the last 15 years. It's unbelievably hard for a franchise to win 6 straight playoff games and counting, and they did not face chumps in a single one of them.
Indeed, last year's defense was one of the best of all-time giving up an average of 13.3 points per game. I think the average number of 4th quarter points surrendered was something ridiculous like 1.5 points per game.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
One of the worst ever takes in the CFL thread. Congratulations!:thumbu:

O'Shea appears to be progressing towards one of the best coaches the CFL has ever seen. The Bombers quarterback, Zach Collaros, was every bit as good as a prime Bo Levi Mitchell back in 2015-2016 but injuries derailed him both those seasons. In fact, he was the favorite for the MVP back in 2015 before his injury finished his season. Now that he has a great team around him, he has been able to play to his full potential.

To say the Bombers would have been slaughtered by 90s teams is asinine at best. The players today, in general, are more athletic than they have ever been. Not to mention that back in the 90s, there were 10 Canadian starters on the field when there was far less Canadian talent compared to today's 7 starters. With nearly half the starting lineup made up of Canadians (and with usually a few of those being linebackers/defensive backs) it was easier for QBs to rack up massive passing yardage against opposing defenses, hence why we saw a decent number of quarterbacks throwing for well in excess of 5000 yards from the early to mid-90s. Those quarterbacks also didn't have to deal with the constant defensive substitutions (one of the consequences of expanded rosters from the 39 in the 90s) that allow fresh sets of legs on the field in today's game.

What the Bombers have been able to do despite losing some of the best talent in the league to other teams and the NFL over the past few seasons in a testament to management and coaching. They lost:

-the best situational quarterback in the league in Streveler to the NFL nearly 3 years ago
-one of the best defensive backs in the CFL in Marcus Sayles to the NFL and then BC.
-the best receiver in the league in Kenny Lawler to Edmonton
-possibly the best Canadian guard and all-star, Drew Desjarlais, to the NFL
-an excellent Canadian defensive tackle, and probable future CFL all star, Jonathan Kongbo, to the NFL
-CFL rookie of the year and CFL all star and one of the best defensive backs in the league, Dee Alford, to the NFL
-the best running back in the league (at the time), Andrew Harris, to Toronto
-the best field goal kicker/punter in the league in Justin Medlock to retirement 3 years ago.

among others...

The Bombers have responded with a dominant 15-3 season, adding:

-likely rookie of the year and the CFL's leading receiver in Schoen
-one of the best running backs in the league in Oliviera a couple years ago
-possibly the best shutdown defensive back and all-star Dietrich Nichols
-key new additions to the O-line Geoff Gray.

among others as well...

As of this moment, the Bombers are the closest of any pro team in Canada has been to a dynasty since the Oilers of 1984-90 and any CFL team since the Eskimos 40 years ago. This is something the Bo Levi Mitchell Stamps never came close to failing to win even 2 in a row.

Indeed, last year's defense was one of the best of all-time giving up an average of 13.3 points per game. I think the average number of 4th quarter points surrendered was something ridiculous like 1.5 points per game.

What a load of shit. O'Shea is a dogshit coach that is lucky to be coaching in by far the weakest era of CFL football.

This Winnipeg team have a bunch of mediocre players and more players that wouldn't make teams in any other time in the CFL but now, luckily that is good enough when the league is watered down.

Laughable crying about players lost when half the league is made up of former Stampeders and those guys are actual quality players not crap like LOL best receiver in the league Lawler, LOL

Hey I understand why loser Bomber fans would want to celebrate this time when the league had quality and was competitive they didn't get a sniff so cheer on this 10th rate version of the league because it is the only time you have to be competitive.

SimpleSimon

Nov 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Ah yes, it's all making sense now. An insecure Stamps fan whose team was incapable of stringing together two Grey Cups championships in a row now trying to downplay the accomplishments of franchise on the cusp of a dynasty that has surpassed Calgary as the best team in the CFL some time ago.
If he is a Stamps fan then if the teams were reversed, He would be saying Mike O’Shea is one of the greatest coaches in CFL history, wondering why his statue wasn’t already outside of McMahon Stadium, This is one of the greatest times to be a CFL fan and wear a Stamps Collaros jersey with MVP and an arrow pointing to the name written in marker on the back of his jersey.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I guess we will see, but you can tell Bomber's fans are scared of him.
Irrationally scared, they were.
What a load of shit. O'Shea is a dogshit coach that is lucky to be coaching in by far the weakest era of CFL football.

This Winnipeg team have a bunch of mediocre players and more players that wouldn't make teams in any other time in the CFL but now, luckily that is good enough when the league is watered down.

Laughable crying about players lost when half the league is made up of former Stampeders and those guys are actual quality players not crap like LOL best receiver in the league Lawler, LOL

Hey I understand why loser Bomber fans would want to celebrate this time when the league had quality and was competitive they didn't get a sniff so cheer on this 10th rate version of the league because it is the only time you have to be competitive.
Want some fries with that salt?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

You'll get a third consecutive Bombers title and like it, Jabroni.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Ah yes, it's all making sense now. An insecure Stamps fan whose team was incapable of stringing together two Grey Cups championships in a row now trying to downplay the accomplishments of franchise on the cusp of a dynasty that has surpassed Calgary as the best team in the CFL some time ago.

LOL a dynasty you wish and Bombers haven't surpassed anyone in anything.

• Haha
Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Anyone have any predictions for the game? Winnipeg will be favoured, but it’s one game and anything can happen. Toronto has a great run game which will be helpful in the cold, and Collaros may not be 100% either.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Anyone have any predictions for the game? Winnipeg will be favoured, but it’s one game and anything can happen. Toronto has a great run game which will be helpful in the cold, and Collaros may not be 100% either.

Kind of how I'm feeling. Toronto are the kings of winning Grey Cups with average teams in this century, the stars might be aligning again with Collaros getting hurt. I think Winnipeg is solid enough in every area that they'll overcome it and win a close game, but if Toronto establishes a run game look out. Going with Bombers 24 - Argos 22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad