CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
More CFL for you and me as now we've arrived in Week 3

BC (2-0) at Winnipeg (2-0) Thu. 8:30 PM ET
  • An early battle for first in the West and also a rematch of last year's West Final. The Lions are coming off a shutout of Edmonton, but the high scoring Blue Bombers will be a much higher degree of difficulty.
Montreal (1-0) at Hamilton (0-2) Fri. 7:30 PM ET
  • The Tiger-Cats finally get their home opener, but Bo Levi Mitchell is a question mark after getting injured in their loss in Toronto. Matthew Shiltz is their backup who may see some action against a Montreal team coming off a bye.
Saskatchewan (1-1) at Calgary (1-1) Sat. 7PM ET
  • I hate these games. The Stampeders have lost so many dumb games to the Riders over the years and I have a bad feeling about this one. Calgary's defence has been pretty shaky so far, while the Riders offence played fairly well last week despite their loss to Winnipeg.
Toronto (1-0) at Edmonton (0-2) Sun. 7PM ET
  • You really have to suck to get shutout in a CFL game and the Elks managed to pull that off last week. Now Edmonton is back in their own house of horrors with the Argos coming out West and feeling confident after a big game from their QB Chad Kelly.
Bye Week - Ottawa (0-2). Between the Rough Riders, Renegades and RedBlacks, the CFL teams from Ottawa have had just two seasons with records above .500 since 1980. They're really hoping that Jeremiah Masoli can come back and stay healthy at QB or it could be another bad year in the nations capital.
Hey love your avatar...Stamps with the rider and horse and Giant Football in the background is Glorious...

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
More CFL for you and me as now we've arrived in Week 3

BC (2-0) at Winnipeg (2-0) Thu. 8:30 PM ET
  • An early battle for first in the West and also a rematch of last year's West Final. The Lions are coming off a shutout of Edmonton, but the high scoring Blue Bombers will be a much higher degree of difficulty.
Montreal (1-0) at Hamilton (0-2) Fri. 7:30 PM ET
  • The Tiger-Cats finally get their home opener, but Bo Levi Mitchell is a question mark after getting injured in their loss in Toronto. Matthew Shiltz is their backup who may see some action against a Montreal team coming off a bye.
Saskatchewan (1-1) at Calgary (1-1) Sat. 7PM ET
  • I hate these games. The Stampeders have lost so many dumb games to the Riders over the years and I have a bad feeling about this one. Calgary's defence has been pretty shaky so far, while the Riders offence played fairly well last week despite their loss to Winnipeg.
Toronto (1-0) at Edmonton (0-2) Sun. 7PM ET
  • You really have to suck to get shutout in a CFL game and the Elks managed to pull that off last week. Now Edmonton is back in their own house of horrors with the Argos coming out West and feeling confident after a big game from their QB Chad Kelly.
Bye Week - Ottawa (0-2). Between the Rough Riders, Renegades and RedBlacks, the CFL teams from Ottawa have had just two seasons with records above .500 since 1980. They're really hoping that Jeremiah Masoli can come back and stay healthy at QB or it could be another bad year in the nations capital.
So....Elks win??? Isn't that how it goes. Nothing says they should win. Record sux. QB sux. Coach sux. OC sux. Playing defending Grey Cup Champs.
Heard it here....Elks win by 4

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The correlation between an excellent QB and an excellent team record remains intact.

Cody Fajardo (MTL)
Zach Collaros (WPG)
Vernon Adams (BC)
Trevor Harris (SAK)
Chad Kelly (TOR)

Edmonton (0-3) at Ottawa (0-2) on Friday is a brutal game, with terrible QBs. One of these bad teams will have to win. Masoli is still injured, he's the only hope for Ottawa. Meanwhile, Edmonton has no hope.

Winnipeg (2-1) at Montreal (2-0) will be a tight contest.

BC Lions (3-0) at Toronto (2-0) to cap it off.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Let's celebrate the Canada Day weekend with Week 4 in the CFL.

Edmonton (0-3) at Ottawa (0-2) Fri. 7:30PM ET
  • Jeremiah Masoli isn't quite ready to go yet so Tyrie Adams will get the nod at QB for the RedBlacks. Ottawa is another team that can't win a home game to save their life right now, and the Elks did manage to get a win in Ottawa last season.
Winnipeg (2-1) at Montreal (2-0) Sat. 7PM ET
  • A big head scratcher for the Blue Bombers with a 30-6 loss at home to BC last week. They now have an interesting game in Montreal where the Alouettes are also unbeaten, but Montreal's wins have come against struggling teams in Ottawa and Hamilton.
BC (3-0) at Toronto (2-0) Mon. 7PM ET
  • Yet another example of the Argos being third-class citizens in their own city as they get stiffed with the rare Monday night game. Chad Kelly has managed to get the job done so far in Toronto, but the Lions are looking like the early favourites for the Grey Cup.
Bye Weeks - Saskatchewan (2-1), Calgary (1-2) and Hamilton (0-3).

PeteBestondrums

Jul 1, 2023
BC and Argos should be a good tilt. Argos looking better than last season on both sides of the ball and BC has just been lights out.
I'm heading to the game in person - should be a blast.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The CFL season is definitely alive as now we're into week 5.

Edmonton (0-4) at Saskatchewan (2-1) Thu. 9PM ET
  • The Elks putrid offense could only put 7 points on the board last week in Ottawa. They get a trip to Regina this week, but their last meeting with the Riders was a one score game back in Week 1.
Calgary (1-2) at Winnipeg (3-1) Fri. 8:30PM ET
  • The Stampeders have had a quite a few injuries to their running backs and receivers thus far this season. This isn't giving me much confidence as they contend with a very tough Bombers team who has beaten Calgary in their last six trips to Winnipeg.
Ottawa (1-2) at Hamilton (0-3) Sat. 7PM ET
  • Things are not looking good in Hamilton thus far with the Tiger-Cats sitting last in the East. It could get dicey for them again this week since the RedBlacks finally got off the schneid and they're getting Jeremiah Masoli back at QB.
Montreal (2-1) at BC (3-1) Sun. 7PM ET
  • Vernon Adams could open up his own bakery in Vancouver after throwing six interceptions in that loss to the Argos. This could be a very interesting game since the Alouettes have a strong defence but have struggled on the West coast, going 3-18 in BC since 1999.
Bye Week - Toronto (3-0). If the Argos win and no one in Toronto watches it, did they really win? I know it was a weird Monday night game, but only 12,000 people at their game against BC is kinda pitiful.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I cannot believe the Elks managed to blow that game like that. Wow, horrendous.

Having lived in Edmonton for 5+ years during the Ricky Ray era, I kinda hate the Edmonton team, on the field. Add in Chris Jones, the TSN love affair with Cornelius a few years ago, etc they are right up there with Sask for teams i never wish anything good on haha.

But at this point even I feel sorry for them and would like them to win a bit. I'll be cheering for Edmonton every game they have, particularly home games, except against the Bombers lol

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Classic Als disaster loss in BC tonight.

I seem to complain about the CFL schedule every year so here we go again. How the heck in a 9 team league with 18 games for each team do you have three teams who have played 5 games and one team that has played only 3 games after 5 weeks?

How is this so complicated?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Classic Als disaster loss in BC tonight.

I seem to complain about the CFL schedule every year so here we go again. How the heck in a 9 team league with 18 games for each team do you have three teams who have played 5 games and one team that has played only 3 games after 5 weeks?

How is this so complicated?

No idea buts it's really ridiculous. Argos play 15 games in final 16 weeks. Bombers play just 13 in that time frame.

Even worse IMO was scheduling a triple bye on Canada Day long weekend. That weekend was the traditional starting point for CFL season, and one of the best weekends to have games but they played just 3 games. Why?

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Time for another CFL fix as now we're at week number 6.

Hamilton (1-3) at Edmonton (0-5) Thu. 9PM ET
  • An early contender for the toilet bowl. The TiCats finally got off the schneid last week, but the Elks shot themselves in the foot again with some coaching and special teams errors.
Toronto (3-0) at Montreal (2-2) Fri. 7:30PM ET
  • Something about the Argos screams "paper tiger" and it's a feeling I can't quite shake at the moment. Since Ottawa and Hamilton aren't exactly inspiring confidence, we can probably pencil in Toronto and Montreal for the East Final in a few months.
Winnipeg (4-1) at Ottawa (1-3) Sat. 4PM ET
  • A ruptured achilles has ended Jeremiah Masoli's season after just one game. Whoever the RedBlacks throw out at QB will have their hands full with the Blue Bombers defence in their face all game.
Calgary (1-3) at Saskatchewan (3-1) Sat. 7PM ET
  • The Riders have a winning record despite a negative point differential. As if I didn't have enough reasons to hate them now that Calgary has to play them again for the second time in less than a month.
Bye Week - BC (4-1). A solid win at home keeps the Lions in a tie for first place in the West. They'll have five straight games against division opponents coming out of their bye week, a good opportunity to control their own destiny the rest of the way.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
This week felt incredibly long for some reason. Can't wait to get going, even if it's a couple of struggling teams.

I think Edmonon gets off the home losing streak tonight personally. Just a feeling, but I also don't think the Ti-Cats are very good.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Hamilton is showing some underrated playcalling. I think Edmonton lacks in coaching, infact Chris Jones is the GM+HC+DC. That's a lot of responsibility on a single individual. Might be a tight budget in the Elks' organization.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Gotta say the "WHAT IS HE DOING!?!?" call goes down as one of my favourite PBP moments of all-time. That just killed me, I was laughing so hard.

I feel for you Elks fans. I really do. Unbelievable.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Great game last night, wild comeback in Ottawa today. This season might finally be waking up. Dustin Crum doing that against Winnipeg in his first start is wild. I think I remember he got Kent State of all teams to a Bowl game, that's pretty wild too haha.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Not the outcome I was hoping for, but a really entertaining game. Hope Trevor Harris has a speedy recovery because that looked nasty.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
We're a third of the way through this CFL season as now we're at Week 7.

Edmonton (0-6) at Winnipeg (4-2) Thu. 8:30PM ET
  • Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is the unofficial motto for the Elks these days after another home field disaster. The Blue Bombers are also in a foul mood after blowing a 19 point lead in the fourth quarter against Ottawa.
Toronto (4-0) at Hamilton (2-3) Fri. 7:30PM ET
  • Another QB is down for the count in Hamilton as Matt Shiltz was injured in their win over Edmonton. They'll be in a bind facing the Argos who have a 7-3 record against the Tiger-Cats over the past three seasons.
Saskatchewan (3-2) at BC (4-1) Sat. 7PM ET
  • The Riders are another team with an injured QB after Trevor Harris' knee injury last week. Saskatchewan puts their faith in the hands of Mason Fine as they have an interesting West Division duel against the Lions.
Ottawa (2-3) at Calgary (2-3) Sun. 7PM ET
  • "How the hell did they win that game?" is what they're asking in both of these cities after what happened last week. It will be interesting to see who can carry that momentum forward going into this week. The Stampeders got a 26-15 win over Ottawa back in Week 2.
Bye Week - Montreal (2-3). I'm surprised that Cody Fajardo hasn't been injured yet with how bad the Alouettes offensive line is. They gave up four sacks in their loss to Toronto, meaning Fajardo has been sacked a league leading 26 times already this season.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Toronto continues to cruise under Kelly, who might be the best QB in the league already. He's not looking significantly different than Rourke was last year. Hopefully that city takes some notice.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
More CFL shenanigans as now we're at week 8.

Hamilton (2-4) at Ottawa (3-3) Fri. 7:30 PM ET
  • Dustin Crum has become the new sensation in Ottawa as a pair of OT wins since he became the QB has sprung some new life into the RedBlacks season. The TiCats meanwhile are stuck with Taylor Powell as their QB with Bo Levi Mitchell and Matt Shiltz still injured.
Saskatchewan (3-3) vs Toronto (5-0) in Halifax, NS Sat. 4 PM ET
  • Ever notice how the Argos are always the ones that are sacrificing a home game to make the trip to the Maritimes? It's the second year in a row that they're going to Nova Scotia, and they're playing the Riders again which I find a little odd.
BC (5-1) at Edmonton (0-7) Sat. 7 PM ET
  • The Lions have become the latest team with a QB injury as Dane Evans will have to fill in for Vernon Adams. Lucky for them however is they get the free space on the bingo card that is a trip to Edmonton to face the Elks.
Calgary (2-4) at Montreal (2-3) Sun. 7 PM ET
  • The Stampeders offence has certainly been working over the past few games, but their defence is made out of swiss cheese. This game should be interesting since Montreal has a bad offensive line but the Alouettes are coming off a bye week.
Bye Week - Winnipeg (5-2). The team that's represented the West in the past three Grey Cups has a stiff challenge coming from the BC Lions. The Lions beat the Bombers back in week 3 and they'll face each other again next week.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
More CFL shenanigans as now we're at week 8.

Hamilton (2-4) at Ottawa (3-3) Fri. 7:30 PM ET
  • Dustin Crum has become the new sensation in Ottawa as a pair of OT wins since he became the QB has sprung some new life into the RedBlacks season. The TiCats meanwhile are stuck with Taylor Powell as their QB with Bo Levi Mitchell and Matt Shiltz still injured.
Saskatchewan (3-3) vs Toronto (5-0) in Halifax, NS Sat. 4 PM ET
  • Ever notice how the Argos are always the ones that are sacrificing a home game to make the trip to the Maritimes? It's the second year in a row that they're going to Nova Scotia, and they're playing the Riders again which I find a little odd.
BC (5-1) at Edmonton (0-7) Sat. 7 PM ET
  • The Lions have become the latest team with a QB injury as Dane Evans will have to fill in for Vernon Adams. Lucky for them however is they get the free space on the bingo card that is a trip to Edmonton to face the Elks.
Calgary (2-4) at Montreal (2-3) Sun. 7 PM ET
  • The Stampeders offence has certainly been working over the past few games, but their defence is made out of swiss cheese. This game should be interesting since Montreal has a bad offensive line but the Alouettes are coming off a bye week.
Bye Week - Winnipeg (5-2). The team that's represented the West in the past three Grey Cups has a stiff challenge coming from the BC Lions. The Lions beat the Bombers back in week 3 and they'll face each other again next week.

Agree that the exact same matchup for TD Atlantic is weird. It sort of does make sense to send the Argos as their home games tend to be the lowest attended, but at least pick a different opponent. At this point though, I don't see a tenth team on the horizon. Ambrosie has been all talk, and the health of the league has dipped under his administration. The Moron...er I mean Genius Sports statistics fiasco that is still unresolved really ought to be the final nail in his coffin.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
When did Bo Levi start… sucking?! 5 interceptions and could have had 2 more.
~2019. Not sure if it's all the injuries to his throwing shoulder or if Calgarys beyond elite OL much of his Calgary career, but it's clear he's washed at this point. I was very surprised at the $ Hamilton threw at him, and it's certainly not paying off.

What the hell was Steinhauer thinking having Bo Levi sneak it late though?

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
They should have put the back-up QB in for sure to end the game. I guess he had to go forward slightly because if he kneeled down, he was super close to the endzone so they might have given up a safety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad