Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Prime example of a guy that might want to go short, wait for the cap to boom, and then cash in big. Might have an agent talking around about how Florida is now an example of a team that got it done with a big price goaltender......all of this to say it's the Bruins so he'll sign a 7 @5.8 and we'll all fight back tears

He's only got 2 RFA years left, so I doubt Boston accepts anything short term

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
no reason for swayman to sign before shesterkin cashes in.

The issue is that Shesterkin has three straight seasons where he played an actual starter's workload, and was a top 1 to 5 goalie in the league during the period. Not to mention a Vezina.

The primary issue with Swayman is that giving him 8 years and top 5 goalie money is purely speculative based on evaluating his skillset, and it's not warranted given his on ice accomplishments. Shesterkin has played almost twice as many regular season games and started over twice as many playoff games a Swayman. He also was the #1 in New York, while Swayman was part of a legitimate 1A/1B tandem that split games.

Swayman should have exercised his right to go to arbitration. Even if his goal was to avoid arbitration, it would have given him a leverage point to force a long term settlement. The Bruins have no reason to cave into his demands, and behaviour like avoiding arbitration probably makes them think that he will eventually cave.

My guess is that Swayman sees himself as being in the top 5 goalie money tier, because he is comparable skilled as those goalies, and he wants something like 8x8 (Saros, Hellebuyck, etc). The Bruins know how good he is, but they don't see a reason to sign him to that when the goalies in that tier all have significantly deeper resumes compared to Swayman. My guess would be that the Bruins want him at second tier star goalie money, something like 4-6 years at 5.5-6.5 million.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And who has the cap space, the need for a starting goalie, and enough confidence that their 1st won't be a lottery pick to make that kind of offer?

I think any team with Swayman would expect to rise in the standings. A team like Chicago could do it if they wanted to. Lock in their goalie of the era.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
The issue is that Shesterkin has three straight seasons where he played an actual starter's workload, and was a top 1 to 5 goalie in the league during the period. Not to mention a Vezina.

The primary issue with Swayman is that giving him 8 years and top 5 goalie money is purely speculative based on evaluating his skillset, and it's not warranted given his on ice accomplishments. Shesterkin has played almost twice as many regular season games and started over twice as many playoff games a Swayman. He also was the #1 in New York, while Swayman was part of a legitimate 1A/1B tandem that split games.

Swayman should have exercised his right to go to arbitration. Even if his goal was to avoid arbitration, it would have given him a leverage point to force a long term settlement. The Bruins have no reason to cave into his demands, and behaviour like avoiding arbitration probably makes them think that he will eventually cave.

My guess is that Swayman sees himself as being in the top 5 goalie money tier, because he is comparable skilled as those goalies, and he wants something like 8x8 (Saros, Hellebuyck, etc). The Bruins know how good he is, but they don't see a reason to sign him to that when the goalies in that tier all have significantly deeper resumes compared to Swayman. My guess would be that the Bruins want him at second tier star goalie money, something like 4-6 years at 5.5-6.5 million.
not suggesting giving them the same contract just that shesterkin is going to reset the market price for goalies

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I have faith in the Bruins signing Swayman, otherwise they wouldn't have traded Ullmark to Ottawa. There's a lot more to contracts than just the $.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I can see something like this.

Bruins camp: starting offer 6mill x 6 years

Swayman camp: counter 8mill x 8 years

Bruins camp: We will give you the 8 years but at 7mill. Same contract we paid franchise Vezina winning goalie Tuukka Rask.

Swayman camp: Deal

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
My how the turn tables.

Let's get right down to it. Sens need somebody to backup for Ullmark. What's it gonna take? A 2nd? Maybe a small sweetener?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
And who has the cap space, the need for a starting goalie, and enough confidence that their 1st won't be a lottery pick to make that kind of offer?
How about the Sharks do it and since you'll need a goalie, we give you Askarov for McAvoy? Pretty please? :sarcasm:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
IMO, it would be crazy for any bottom feeder which doesn't already have some foundation in the rest of their roster to offer sheet. The compensation that BOS can't afford to match is $8.6 million, which readily puts the return as 1*1st, 1*2nd and 1*3rd. That's a treasure trove if it turns out to be an early draft pick for each round (i.e. if that team still finishes bottom of the standings).

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I can see something like this.

Bruins camp: starting offer 6mill x 6 years

Swayman camp: counter 8mill x 8 years

Bruins camp: We will give you the 8 years but at 7mill. Same contract we paid franchise Vezina winning goalie Tuukka Rask.

Swayman camp: Deal
Task signed that contract like 10 years ago. 7M is low now for a true number one.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Habs, you know what to do.
There mutual hatred between fan bases.

A Habs OS on Swayman may trigger an invasion by Bruin fans....:fight:

In reality Habs have too many youngsters that may be subject to OS and if the Habs make an OS to Swayman, Bruin fans will demand that their management do the same. Although the lesson from the last retaliation (Kotkameini) is that it backfired.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Rythashocka

Mar 21, 2007
Korpi would be fine behind a structured d like bostons for the short term (like 15-20 games) but they absolutely need Swayman signed.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Lol. No.

Swayman is not getting a $11,452,295 contract offer. That's what it takes to get four 1st rounders.

The offers he would be most likely be receiving are in the $6,871,374 - $9,161,834 bracket, which has one 1st-round picks, one 2nd-round pick and one 3rd-round pick compensation.

Keep in mind that offer sheets are calculated based on 5 years max. So if a team offers 8m x 7 or 56m, the cap is calculate over 5 years not 7 so the AAV of that deal for compensation is ≈ 11m.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Realistically they probably shouldn't have traded Ullmark until they signed him.

Not because they don't plan on going with Swayman, but because Swayman now has them bent over knowing they have no other option.

Reactions: violaswallet

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
not suggesting giving them the same contract just that shesterkin is going to reset the market price for goalies
God i he doesnt.

My take is Saros, helly and sorokinen just established the goalie market being in the 8-9 mill range.

However Shesterkin wants to bump it to absurdly stupid levels. Which Drury hopefully says no.

Then you have the old contracts of Vasy, Price and Bobrobsky which are all higher than what current top goalies are receiving.

So Boaton is probably saying he deserves 6-7m because he split time, while swayman is saying 8+ bc he is as good as those other goalies.

Then come term. Boston says u are an RFA and that should lower your cap. Also we want long term on you for reasonable cap.

Swayman probably says pay me like a top goalie i am, or give me a 1-2 year deal of you 6m cap and take me to UFA when Shesty resets cap hits or get at least what Helly, saros etc have gotten.

At least that is my take

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Realistically they probably shouldn't have traded Ullmark until they signed him.

Not because they don't plan on going with Swayman, but because Swayman now has them bent over knowing they have no other option.

But realistically, Swayman's agent knows this, too. Only the Bruins would be motivated to get a deal done before Ullmark was traded. So Swayman's camp could say "sure, give us the Bobrovsky contract and we will sign".

Its not until we get close to camp and the season started that both parties will feel the pressure.

And we have seen this before. The entire leadership group of this Bruins team signed right around the start of training camp, give or take a week (Marchand, Pasta, McAvoy).

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
God i he doesnt.

My take is Saros, helly and sorokinen just established the goalie market being in the 8-9 mill range.

However Shesterkin wants to bump it to absurdly stupid levels. Which Drury hopefully says no.

Then you have the old contracts of Vasy, Price and Bobrobsky which are all higher than what current top goalies are receiving.

So Boaton is probably saying he deserves 6-7m because he split time, while swayman is saying 8+ bc he is as good as those other goalies.

Then come term. Boston says u are an RFA and that should lower your cap. Also we want long term on you for reasonable cap.

Swayman probably says pay me like a top goalie i am, or give me a 1-2 year deal of you 6m cap and take me to UFA when Shesty resets cap hits or get at least what Helly, saros etc have gotten.

At least that is my take
Swayman needs to understand saros and helle are much more established, and in the goalie world, that means everything. I think they meet at 7-7.25 mil per on a long term deal imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad