Rumor: The battle for Tarasenko is heating up

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think Seattle not taking Tarasenko for free kind of set the market for him. I would think that while Armstrong is willing to move Tarasenko for free he is not willing to add assets to move him. Or it could be worse and the assets being demanded are not something Armstrong is even willing to entertain.
I am getting so tired of this false equivalency. If you were offered a choice between a suitcase with $1M inside or a suitcase with $2M inside and you choose the one with more money, that doesn’t make the other option worthless.

Reactions: HipsCzech

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I am getting so tired of this false equivalency. If you were offered a choice between a suitcase with $1M inside or a suitcase with $2M inside and you choose the one with more money, that doesn’t make the other option worthless.

True.

Although in the case of Columbus, Seattle literally took an expired coupon over Domi.

Reactions: JetLeaf

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
he didnt say that. youre being just as disingenuous, as you claim he is. Tarasenko carries a $7.5M cap hit. In a flat cap world, no one wants that. Armstrong refuses to retain. That more than anything sets the market.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
STL isn't going to like what this ends up being. Should have maximized his value before the draft instead of being greedy.
Playing him? Four endings to that story

1) He stinks on ice and can't play anymore, LTIR and reclaim cap space
2) He sucks it up and plays well and his trade value goes way up to be dealt at the TDL or sooner
3) He sucks it up and stays with the Blues and everyone wins
4) He bolts to Russia, the Blues find him in violation of his contract and reclaim his cap space.

or

Trade him for magic beans and dead contract space coming back.

Reactions: tomin

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale

2) He sucks it up and plays well and his trade value goes way up to be dealt at the TDL or sooner
4) He bolts to Russia, the Blues find him in violation of his contract and reclaim his cap space.

or

This is wrong as your missing a very risky version of 1A which I like to call the Ladd plan. In which he sucks but is not injured and he just eats up sap space.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

The GM's from other teams do NOT know what exactly the suitcase contains as far as Tarasenko goes. There is a good amount of risk involved buying that suitcase when you don't even know what is inside it. When one team, which has nothing to lose as far as a cap space goes and is in need for elite players, does not even take that player for free it will directly impact the market for Tarasenko.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
This is wrong as your missing a very risky version of 1A which I like to call the Ladd plan. In which he sucks but is not injured and he just eats up sap space.
So you trade him to Arizona to add to their collection of all stars.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
The GM's from other teams do NOT know what exactly the suitcase contains as far as Tarasenko goes. There is a good amount of risk involved buying that suitcase when you don't even know what is inside it. When one team, which has nothing to lose as far as a cap space goes and is in need for elite players, does not even take that player for free it will directly impact the market for Tarasenko.
giphy.gif

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
...basically the same position the Habs are in with Drouin; negative value until they actually play and then we see if they are "healthy" or not...not that I'm comparing Tarasenko to Drouin as players, cuz that would be lunacy...:laugh:
The difference is that Drouin hasn't demanded a trade. Tank has. Which means the water is poisoned a bit and pushes the Blues to make a trade.

In the end, even though Tank was a much better player, the value of Tank and Drouin may be the same when one accounts for age and injuries. Although Drouin may also have a "permanent" injury in either mental health or addiction.

In the end, there may be, just may be a trade where those two are involved. Which means Drouin is a 50 point player and Tank degrades into a 50 point player. There is no other way too make the deal work without Blues taking a huge retention.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
which is fine i just wanted to bring up the fact that he could be healthy and just regress stat wise which is a real possibility. What if he only scores at a 20 goal pace? etc

Ladd isn’t a 20 goal scorer at this point and hasn’t been since he signed his deal. Which was what I was looking at when I made the remark.

7.5 million for a 20 goal scorer, let’s just assume 40 point player. Yeah, my point still stands that you but out the last year of his deal. It is one 1 year and the dead space would be much smaller then taking on a cap dump multi year contract.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Ladd isn’t a 20 goal scorer at this point and hasn’t been since he signed his deal. Which was what I was looking at when I made the remark.

7.5 million for a 20 goal scorer, let’s just assume 40 point player. Yeah, my point still stands that you but out the last year of his deal. It is one 1 year and the dead space would be much smaller then taking on a cap dump multi year contract.

Sure my original comment was the poster left out a scenario that is fairly plausible. That is it. If your point is in that scenario they buy him out? Ok cool that's awesome no one cares lol.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
he didnt say that. youre being just as disingenuous, as you claim he is. Tarasenko carries a $7.5M cap hit. In a flat cap world, no one wants that. Armstrong refuses to retain. That more than anything sets the market.
I know it’s “ only “ 2 million dollars …. But the actual money going out is 9.5 or 9? million this year . I don’t know about you but that’s a lot of money to pay for a risk to take on a player . Coming out of a pandemic where owners lost money you’d think a team would make damn sure they get their money’s worth out of Tank .
But maybe there is a team that thinks the cash is no big deal , it’s the assets they would give up in addition to the cash. Paying assets plus taking on that much cap and cash … I don’t see anything “heating up “ to get him
Best case scenario you pay 9.5 mil with using 7.5 mil cap but bargain amount of assets used to get a 35g player . That’s best case . Worst case is you waste assets plus blow cash for a player that cannot play anymore . Not many teams can afford to do that both financially and from a competitive standpoint . The Deviks are one team that are not in a win now situation and can afford to gamble somewhat

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
And him being on LTIR doesn’t make the cap hit disappear. Being capped out can suck. There might be some big UFAs next off-season the Blues might be particularly interested in signing. (Parayko, Tkachuk etc)

There are advantages to moving that contract.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

or

I’ll take door #3 Monte

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’m envisioning Robert Thomas centering Tarasenko and Buchnevich and the 2 Russians hit it off and fall in love. Tarasenko is happy again and the Blues win another cup.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
Vlad's shoulder currently has the same structural integrity as the paper mache' sculptures that we built in Miss Rottencrotch's third grade art class...

Reactions: benedictTavares

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021
I know it’s “ only “ 2 million dollars …. But the actual money going out is 9.5 or 9? million this year . I don’t know about you but that’s a lot of money to pay for a risk to take on a player . Coming out of a pandemic where owners lost money you’d think a team would make damn sure they get their money’s worth out of Tank .
But maybe there is a team that thinks the cash is no big deal , it’s the assets they would give up in addition to the cash. Paying assets plus taking on that much cap and cash … I don’t see anything “heating up “ to get him
Best case scenario you pay 9.5 mil with using 7.5 mil cap but bargain amount of assets used to get a 35g player . That’s best case . Worst case is you waste assets plus blow cash for a player that cannot play anymore . Not many teams can afford to do that both financially and from a competitive standpoint . The Deviks are one team that are not in a win now situation and can afford to gamble somewhat
thats exactly how I see it too, but I think Armstrong is the one setting the Market here, if he refuses to retain or take back salary in players acquired in any prospective trade, then in my opinion there is no market, if you get my meaning. There is a whole new world in today's NHL. and the Salary Cap and how you maneuver it is king

hockeyisles

Jul 29, 2021

or

you forgot one:

5 )He sucks it up and plays poorly and his trade value goes way down ...... it is possible. he can be physically healthy and just not have it anymore . at that point he may just play out his contract for his $7.5M

im sure youve heard of Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, and Johan Santana, they were quote unquote healthy but even though they tried valiantly to be what they once were, they were no longer the same player.....Athletes are highly tuned and Injuries arent predictable

check out former king Jimmy Carson

Last edited:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
you forgot one:

5 )He sucks it up and plays poorly and his trade value goes way down ...... it is possible. he can be physically healthy and just not have it anymore . at that point he may just play out his contract for his $7.5M

im sure youve heard of Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, and Johan Santana, they were quote unquote healthy but even though they tried valiantly to be what they once were, they were no longer the same player.....Athletes are highly tuned and Injuries arent predictable

check out former king Jimmy Carson
Ah you're right again. I'll go back to Tarasenko @50% plus a 1st for Lucic.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

assume he stays.. he's a top 6 player that will be on the 1pp

chances of him only getting 40 pts is pretty slim. both shoulders would have to fall off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad