OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Some are easy. Yard is pretty much the same as meter, pound is kilo / 2 and some more, feet, inches etc. are pretty easily converted.

What I never get right is oz. It's hard to understand. Like a Coke can is 8 oz? 12 oz? Wadu hek.
Not what I was saying.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Some are easy. Yard is pretty much the same as meter, pound is kilo / 2 and some more, feet, inches etc. are pretty easily converted.

What I never get right is oz. It's hard to understand. Like a Coke can is 8 oz? 12 oz? Wadu hek.

And fluid oz is different than a weight oz.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Most people use temperature with how we are experiencing it. So weather, internal temperature, etc. That is what I mean by human temperature. Seeing 98 degrees fahrenheit on a weather forecast makes more connection to how the human body relates to that temperature than 35.5 celcius.

The #1 difference between imperial and metric units is that imperial was designed around human experiences and metric was designed around conversions.

My "problem" (not a real problem but still) with human experiences are that every human is different sized etc. Like you said about the origin of mile.

I don't know what 35.5 celsius is. It's -19.3 here.

Not what I was saying.

I know.

And fluid oz is different than a weight oz.

Scratching my head.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, as I complained above, the imperial system can't be converted even within its own system.

I wouldn't say that is true... most imperial units (since they were standardized) are designed to be split into halfs, 3rds, or 4ths. Getting rid of some units has made it more confusing actually... leagues, rods, gills, slug, furlong, etc are not longer used

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My "problem" (not a real problem but still) with human experiences are that every human is different sized etc. Like you said about the origin of mile.

I don't know what 35.5 celsius is. It's -19.3 here.

Over the years it got standardized and changed (IE fahrenheit was supposed to peg human temperature at 96, but with standardization has moved to 98).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Scratching my head.

So one fluid oz is the volume occupied by one oz of weight of the fluid... now this varies between the UK and US. UK standardized their gallon to 10 pounds of water then dividing it down. The US standardized it to the wine gallon of 231 cubic inches. The actual weight ounce is the same between US and UK... 1/16 of a pound. Then we can get into troy ounce (and pound) which is different from both...

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Wikipedia tells me:

A fluid ounce is 1/160 gallon and 1/20 pints.

A gallon is 231 cubic inches.

A pint is 1/8 of liquid gallon.

It all makes perfect sense now.

So one fluid oz is the volume occupied by one oz of weight of the fluid... now this varies between the UK and US. UK standardized their gallon to 10 pounds of water then dividing it down. The US standardized it to the wine gallon of 231 cubic inches. The actual weight ounce is the same between US and UK... 1/16 of a pound. Then we can get into troy ounce (and pound) which is different from both...

This is some next level algebra. Thanks for trying to open it to me though :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In the US:

8 oz = 1 cup
2 cups = 1 pint
2 pints = 1 quart
4 quarts = 1 gallon

So 128 oz in 1 gallon. Looking from oz to gallons makes little to no sense, but breaking down the structure it makes more sense. Realistically... hardly any imperial measurement makes sense beyond temperature and that is day to day... not scientific. Making things easy to convert is a much better idea.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wouldn't say that is true... most imperial units (since they were standardized) are designed to be split into halfs, 3rds, or 4ths. Getting rid of some units has made it more confusing actually... leagues, rods, gills, slug, furlong, etc are not longer used
Oh, I see... with the inches in a foot and all that they're easy to split into fractions... And 16 ounces is a pound, 8 is half a pound, 4 is a quarter pound... Now what the hell's a pound?
Gotta get them 40's.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Never heard of quart before. But I see it's very close to liter (0.946 liters).

Yeah, it is pretty understandable the way you presented it.

At least I know what a pint is. It's the big beer I buy from supermarket.

Oh, I see... with the inches in a foot and all that they're easy to split into fractions... And 16 ounces is a pound, 8 is half a pound, 4 is a quarter pound... Now what the hell's a pound?

Yes, this.

Edit. I just figured out McDonalds QP contains a little over 100g of meat.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Exactly! That is how the whole system is designed. Weird for people outside of it, but makes sense when broken down.

The pound is probably the measurement that makes the least sense and has changed all the damn time. How we know it today derives from the wool pound... which was designed purely to be split into 16ths to make selling wool easier.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO the reason the US is so reluctant to switch is that in day-to-day usage for people... understanding things in 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 is just easier than decimals. Given my travels into the metric world, I have to be fluent in both and overall the metric system makes more sense to me, but I understand why imperial sticks around. The only metric unit I really don't like is celcius.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Exactly! That is how the whole system is designed. Weird for people outside of it, but makes sense when broken down.

The pound is probably the measurement that makes the least sense and has changed all the damn time. How we know it today derives from the wool pound... which was designed purely to be split into 16ths to make selling wool easier.
So 28 grams of wool made a suitably sized small ball of wool?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
IMO the reason the US is so reluctant to switch is that in day-to-day usage for people... understanding things in 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 is just easier than decimals. Given my travels into the metric world, I have to be fluent in both and overall the metric system makes more sense to me, but I understand why imperial sticks around. The only metric unit I really don't like is celcius.

It would take multiple years for everyone to catch up with the new system, no doubt. That process doesn't happen overnight. But even after our conversations I think metric system makes a lot more sense and is easier to understand and to use. But I'm biased so what do I know.

So 28 grams of wool made a suitably sized small ball of wool?

I lol'd. Somehow that 28 grams was more suitable size than 25 or 35 or whatever amount of grams.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I almost went to the store again, to buy the sweetest possible kind of ice cream. Instead, I ate a bell pepper. I hate everything.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's very hard to change these systems at this point. Would be very costly and confusing. The time to go metric was 200 years ago. Same with driving on the left and right. Very expensive to change.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
0 degrees Celsius is the freezing point. Every degree above moves in a linear pattern of warmness. Every degree below moves in a linear pattern of coldness. Try to convince me there's a better method of measuring temperature. I dare ya.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I forgot about the hogshead... I think that seals the imperial/metric debate, there isn't a more badass name for a unit than hogshead.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
0 degrees Celsius is the freezing point. Every degree above moves in a linear pattern of warmness. Every degree below moves in a linear pattern of coldness. Try to convince me there's a better method of measuring temperature. I dare ya.
I didn't know fahrenheit was logarithmic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad