OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Flying business class international is amazing. It’ll make you never want to fly again. Sounds like it’ll be an awesome trip though.

Well my first leg to SFO was quite lovely. I haven't flown that in first before and the difference was night and day. Enough room to work and stretch my legs does wonders for a 6 hour flight. It's a shame airlines don't offer more accommodating seats these days, the $/ft valuations of passengers is nonsense.

I've flown business a few times internationally though, been fortunate enough to work for companies who have travel policies of 6+ hour flights = business class.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Always wanted to get into yoga... for flexibility and other supposed benefits (calmer) what do you do exactly?
Now that I have time to sit down for this...

I do a few moves where I roll between the moves,
First, an upward stretch arms up above your head, palms together, arching the back reaching behind a little, it'll stretch the abdominals among others. Rolling into a forward bend from the standing position, touching your toes, hold for 10 seconds and repeat that for 2-4 minutes or something, with controlled breathing.

Then I do a cycle of warrior poses, one with hands above the head (this always stretches the lower abdomen as an add-on, also asks for some balance on most moves), second pose a standard warrior pose, third reaching down with one hand on the floor with the front leg, the other hand reaching for the ceiling. 20 seconds per pose three times, then switch sides. Surprisingly heavy on the legs.

Then I do the dancer pose for both legs for a while. Nice stretch + a challenge for myself at least, who has bad balance.

Then I do the downward facing dog, rolling into the upward facing dog and back for a while. Child's pose to counter the heavy back bend feels nice. I finish with the low lunge (hip flexor stretch) because that's a problem area. I mix in the mountain pose here and there for a second, it's calming and magically stretches the arm muscles.

There's this page yogajournal.com that I've found helpful with different moves, cause they have stuff sorted by types and benefits, so it's easy to look for stuff that could be helpful. Whatever you end up doing, don't be afraid to mix in stuff on the fly (like some different stretches) as you feel, since it's just you stretching so do what you want with it. Also, if you have problems with something, emphasize those moves. Those ones I do are good for balance and weight-lifting/sports mobility. Squatting for example is difficult with tight hips and that's common with people who lift and train other stuff...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm almost always on the same page with you but man oh man.
A year ago I would've agreed...

...but then my best friend tricked me into watching some of it with her last summer, and after I randomly picked one of the seasons with my (now) favorite player, I was hooked. I can't stop thinking about how I'd play it in their shoes, and there's a few players who are so amazingly crafty/manipulative that it's just too much fun to watch them wrap the whole house around their fingers.

I want to hate myself for this, but I can't, the show is too captivating :laugh:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Can't say I've ever watched celebrity BB, but the old days of US Big Brother were gold. Canadian BB is pretty good too. I love the strategy of it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
By the time this flight is over with I'm going to have had almost $300 in sake (equivalent USD prices at my liquor store). Gotta get someone else's money worth here.

Seriously though, what an experience flying Japan Airlines. They served me cavier on top of snow crab. They can't understand me for anything, but whatever.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@Murzu I couldn't find the post you were quoting me on, what episode number is it? I totally forgot every single episode name so far, except the last one. I finally finished the series and it was bloody good, not sure if it's one of my favourite animes of all time, but definitely one I see myself watching again sometime in the future.

Tell your bro that I got to see Dragonland live twice in 3 days at ProgPower a few years back if you want him to seethe with jealousy. :D Seen most of those bands live, actually, except for Persuader and Reinxeed. Bloodbound will be at ProgPower this year.

Voyager is awesome, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Fun people to party with too. And I agree on Dream Theater. They have about 50/50 awesome, classic albums and total stinkers, and they definitely miss Portnoy now. I don't feel too bad for him though. It sucks how he left DT but he has a ton of projects going now. I don't blame him for wanting to stretch his legs creatively after 20 years doing the same thing.

My big new prog crush is Ostura, front runner for album of the year already, this thing is amazing.

Edit: Also, if you like Djent, you need this in your life.

Ostura was effin' awesome, had so many elements in it and it wasn't corny which some metal bands unintentionally do.

Shattered Skies was ehhhhhhhhhh, mega hipster. They dressed like they were going to a wedding in Boulder. Now with that said, I loved the sound, awesome find. Love the part at 1:40 to 1:53.

This is the Djent I quite like, sort of has that jazz sound...

This is probably my new favourite band, randomly found them on Youtube...

Amogh Symphony is also another amazing Djent band, but they get to the point that they're way too talented and it gets hard to follow.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Guys, I have a question:

How have you guys been able to teach your parents technology?

My parent are mind-numbingly, brain-breakingly bad with computers, especially my dad. These people have had a computer for close to two decades and have shown basically zero improvement in computer skills, despite the fact that they use the computer basically every day. My dad is especially bad at this, as he has a massive notebook of detailed step-by-step instructions that he follows to do literally anything. This system kind of works, but the second that anything changes on his computer he suddenly gets stuck and has to call me. He also still doesn't understand a lot of basic computer shit, like the fact that tabs exist so he has a tendency to exit out of the entire browser when he wants to close a page. He also struggles a lot navigating websites he hasn't been to before, so when he goes somewhere new you have to have someone with him or else he gets totally lost and can drain incredible amounts of time trying to figure out where he wants to go.

He's not proficient enough to have a smartphone, so he has to have a flip phone, which he still struggles to use.

My mom is more proficient, to the point that she got an iPod and she's able to use it without the world exploding. She doesn't understand how to download apps or use much of anything outside of her email/Safari, but she doesn't call me multiple times a week because she doesn't get what's happening. Plus she figured out how to print, which my dad generally still fails at.

I don't mind being the IT guy when the computer actually breaks, but being 24/7 tech support for stuff like "how do I navigate this page", or "why does my internet not open all the way" (maximize the window, dad) is annoying the f*** out of me.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Re: parents

My parents are ok with technology but I am always super concerned about their handling of emails and confidential info. Seniors get targeted so badly in scams. Important to teach them whatever you can to prevent phishing

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Teaching parents technology is the biggest myth out there, it's not possible. It's unbelievable, they'll tell me "oh yeah it's been like that for months I don't know what to do", and I fix it within a minute. I always tell them there is google for these things... it takes 5 seconds. "Oh I can't be bothered with that foolishness." So you'd rather have to work around it for months until I get back home instead of taking 2 minutes to google it? Parents are a weird, weird technologically inept creature.

However the one good thing I've drilled into their head is if they're unsure of an email they get, take a picture and send it to me. It's helped them numerous times.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Oh, and for Jon Connor you have to listen to the downbeat songs, because the upbeat ones are pretty corny.

Food & Liquor (1) is where it's at with Lupe.

Just listened to one random song of his from that album. Woah is all I got to say. Top notch.

Wonder how the full album is like now lol

Will report once I finish it.

For Lupe Risto is right. Food and Liquor 1 is just an incredible album. My personal favorite song by Lupe is “The Instrumental” off that album. His most impressive song IMO is “Mural”, 8 minutes of him painting pictures with words. “Little Weapon” is a good one, as is that album as well.

As for Logic “5 AM” is probably my favorite song of his, but I’d listen to The Incredible True Story to start with.

Listened to "5 AM" and the incredible true story. Not bad songs at all but I think my friend just turned me off from Logic. Something about his voice just irks me now. 5 am is honestly a good song though.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I made a horrible mistake. I downloaded a program that allows me to see my moms computer screen from my home. In the past I've got about one call per month about "tech issues" but I imagine that number will get a lot higher in the future. My big bro used to be the tech support for her but now I got to share the burden :laugh: I cannot understand that a person who has had an own accounting company since 1980's can ask so simple questions :laugh: I honestly think she's worse with computers nowadays than she was 10 years ago when I lived with her..

giphy.gif

@S E P H I'm talking about episode four, the chimera thing.

member 116861

Heading to Cali and then Florida tomorrow and it will be 26 degrees in Miami. I hate the heat so much and yes pun intended.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Hello HF Avs from Tokyo Japan the future

I speak to you from the future, where toilets have special features in them, entry into a new country is as simple as scanning your fingerprints and taking a photo, phones are free with unlimited data and calling and where waking up early in the morning is a breeze. I look forward to when you catch up to these many great wonders when the sun reaches your windows, in the mean time I will continue to explore and chronicle what more future wonders await us.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

member 116861

I speak to you from the future, where toilets have special features in them, entry into a new country is as simple as scanning your fingerprints and taking a photo, phones are free with unlimited data and calling and where waking up early in the morning is a breeze. I look forward to when you catch up to these many great wonders when the sun reaches your windows, in the mean time I will continue to explore and chronicle what more future wonders await us.

Yeah, the US is pretty shit.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Guys, I have a question:

How have you guys been able to teach your parents technology?

-snif-.
My mom was like your dad, but then she realize technology is growing so fast so she decide to start playing with it a lot more. I'm still shocked she's able to search things on her phone, she didn't know how to do anything 5 years ago and didn't even know the difference between e-mail and gmail. Also the fact that she uses the messenger on her phone a lot helped. Both of my parents are the type that tries to figure out the solution by themselves when they're stuck and only time they need my help is when ordering something from my Amazon account.

Make sure to try whole bunch of street foods.

I had a chance to go to Japan this past November, but I got lazy and just stayed in Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad