OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Hard to pinpoint actually why I don't care for the Stones, Jagger has a got a good voice, but I just don't really like their style. I Can't Get No would be my favourite song by them, but I think it also gets very boring to listen to. Tom Petty was awesome, sucks I have to use that as past tense. Not huge a fan of American Girl, but love Free Falling, Runnin' Down a Dream, and Don't Come Around Here No More (creative music video).

I love pretty much everything (including kpop) except country, American Pop, and anything that is Pop-Rap (stuff like Nicki Minaj/Drake/Kanye West/trash). I don't know if I would consider myself a classic rock fan, like I think a lot of Led Zeppelin's discography is insanely overrated along with The Beatles. Best Pink Floyd songs are not Money, Another Brick in the Wall, One of These Days, Wish You Were Here, and Have a Cigar. I mean I still love Us and Them, Time, Sheep, Comfortably Numb, and Shine on You Crazy Diamond...I prefer songs like Learning to Fly, Young Lust, Running like Hell, Eclipse, Take It Back, Sorrow, On the Turning Away, and Marooned. Some of those songs are still popular, but not as much as the previous one I mentioned. As for your question, I really appreciate classic rock, better than anything being made nowadays, but I am more of a New Wave guy. I find myself listening to bands like Yes and Rush who started in the 1970s and even 60s, but made their presence felt in the 80s.

Another band who's discography which can match up with the best of them is The Police. Don't Stand so Close to Me is an unbelieveable song, would easily put that in my top 100 favourite songs if I ever wanted to compile a list. I also think Walking on the Moon as one of the most undervalued songs as well.

The Stones have some really good songs, if you're in the mood for them. I won't go out of my way to play them unless I'm really feeling it, but I don't go out of my way to change the station if they start playing on the radio, either. They're kind of like The Beatles for me, in that regard. Petty still is one of my all-time favorites, and you're right that it sucks using past tense with him now. Don't Come Around Here No More is one of my absolute favorite songs by him, and the music video is just so...Tom Petty, haha. I think Breakdown is my top favorite song by him.

I can't say one way or another if I like any foreign pop music. I haven't given it much of a shot, and I'm not really feeling like I need to. Just one of those things that doesn't catch my interest, I guess. Can't say I agree with you regarding Zeppelin - member for member, they're the most talented band, in my opinion. I'm more of a fan of those secondary and tertiary Floyd hits, too. Their big hits are pretty overplayed. I LOVE Rush. Definitely agree with you there. I've also got a bit of a soft spot for some of those hair metal bands from the '80s, as well.

The Police are crazy underrated - good call. I don't like their sound a whole lot, but their talent is evident in just about everything they've done.

As an aside, Childish Gambino is the best modern rapper, and it's a Goddamn travesty that Donald Glover is retiring the name.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
why not both?

For Lupe Risto is right. Food and Liquor 1 is just an incredible album. My personal favorite song by Lupe is “The Instrumental” off that album. His most impressive song IMO is “Mural”, 8 minutes of him painting pictures with words. “Little Weapon” is a good one, as is that album as well.

As for Logic “5 AM” is probably my favorite song of his, but I’d listen to The Incredible True Story to start with.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
No love for My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy? Easily Kanye's most complete album. His other early albums all have their good songs but don't have the complete feeling of MDBTF. The album really highlights the darkness in becoming famous and sets the tone for the crazy person he became over the past 8 years (holy shit that album came out in 2010). The whole album is a journey and I think easily ranks in my top 10 albums of the past 20 years.

Except for the Chris Rock bit at the end of Blame Game. Have to skip that most of the time, though it really fits the tone of the album overall.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
No love for My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy? Easily Kanye's most complete album. His other early albums all have their good songs but don't have the complete feeling of MDBTF. The album really highlights the darkness in becoming famous and sets the tone for the crazy person he became over the past 8 years (holy **** that album came out in 2010). The whole album is a journey and I think easily ranks in my top 10 albums of the past 20 years.
It is a more complete album than at least the first two, yes. Graduation was pretty "complete" as well.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Not sure why but Graduation never really worked for me like MDBTF did. I love some songs on it (looking at my iTunes I've played Homecoming, Flashing Lights, Stronger, Can't Tell Me Nothing a ton more than anything else). I'll have to give the whole album another shot.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Oh trust me I know all of these bands. My cousin is huge in the classic rock genre and makes his way to that annual concert down in Texas which has Eric Clapton, BBKing (RIP), John Mayer, and the lot. We used to always jam to that type of music when I was in high school. I've been quite liking Doyle Bramhall a lot.

Sorry I misunderstood your meaning. If you’re looking for more modern psychedelic rock bands I’d strongly recommend Black Mountain

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
6 seasons & a movie!

And a movie, remember that part Harmon? *shakes fist angrily at that fat genius*

...and a movie...*sobs quietly to the sound of Lord Huron*

Gotta have someone to finance it and the cast to do it. I think he could conceivably get McHale, Pudi, Jacobs, Jeong, and Rash back. I'm on-the-fence (but leaning towards "yes") that Brie would be on board too. I don't think Glover would, not out of spite or anything, but I do think he's successfully moved on to bigger/better things. Would love to be wrong though.

OF course, this isn't the thread for discussing it, thanks for sucking me in! :rant:

:D

Reactions: cgf

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Not sure why but Graduation never really worked for me like MDBTF did. I love some songs on it (looking at my iTunes I've played Homecoming, Flashing Lights, Stronger, Can't Tell Me Nothing a ton more than anything else). I'll have to give the whole album another shot.
Now that you say it and I went back to look, yeah, I take it back a little. I didn't realize it had 14 songs. But mostly it's good. Everything I Am is a good one you didn't mention. And some of the rest are decent.
Did you guys ever watch the movie Kanye released with my dark fantasy? @ASmileyFace
Goodness no.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Kanye’s first few albums really cemented Kanye as one of the best rappers at the time. I’m not too sure how his new albums and attitude affect his legacy in people’s eyes, but it hasn’t been great in mine. But you have to respect his pure talent.

J Cole is currently one of my favorite rappers, and i would definitely agree he’s the best currently.

Now for my hot takes :sarcasm:
I find Tupac and Jay- Z incredibly overrated, good rappers for sure but I can’t think of any way I’d put them at #1 or anywhere close to that.

Eminem is the GOAT

ATCQ is the best rap group ever

quest is ehhh pretty good but nowhere near Wu Tang or J5 imo.

and m&m is good but not on the same tier as Tupac and Biggie.

dont get me wrong Infinite is phenomenal as is the mmlp and even Bad vs. evil is pretty solid. I loved Recovery more for the story it tells i guess than for any other reason. Everything after that complete garbage for eminem.

But for me the GOAT is Nas. That dude straight invented the wheel

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I will remember this quote, it's a good one, usable in Sweden before lunch as well. "The stress level is high, I'm not a drunk, I'm just Swedish."

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
No love for My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy? Easily Kanye's most complete album. His other early albums all have their good songs but don't have the complete feeling of MDBTF. The album really highlights the darkness in becoming famous and sets the tone for the crazy person he became over the past 8 years (holy **** that album came out in 2010). The whole album is a journey and I think easily ranks in my top 10 albums of the past 20 years.

Except for the Chris Rock bit at the end of Blame Game. Have to skip that most of the time, though it really fits the tone of the album overall.

Easily his best album. so experimental and great. tell me you saw the movie that came with the deluxe edition when it came out? if not I'm gonna have to track it down and mail it to you

Reactions: ASmileyFace

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Harmon wouldn't have as hard a time getting financing if he weren't such a colossal prick, especially as we move further and further from the nielsen ratings that buried the show, having any sort of relevance whatsoever.

Glover probably is too big a deal now; but if someone could get him excited about it, that would make the project a lot more bankable & easier to sell...even with Harmon's history.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
quest is ehhh pretty good but nowhere near Wu Tang or J5 imo.

and m&m is good but not on the same tier as Tupac and Biggie.

dont get me wrong Infinite is phenomenal as is the mmlp and even Bad vs. evil is pretty solid. I loved Recovery more for the story it tells i guess than for any other reason. Everything after that complete garbage for eminem.

But for me the GOAT is Nas. That dude straight invented the wheel
Wu still gets the attention they deserve, but I feel like Meth doesn't these days. Easily the biggest and best solo career to come out of that. Liquid Swords was a pretty good album too though.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Wu still gets the attention they deserve, but I feel like Meth doesn't these days. Easily the biggest and best solo career to come out of that. Liquid Swords was a pretty good album too though.

I'd say Method man is the man for sure, but raekwon made wu-tang what they are and were. without raekwon no-one would know who wu tang was today. I got to see Redman and Method Man perform 2 years ago in my hometown. I did not behave and I did have an UNREAL time!

Reactions: UncleRisto

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Harmon wouldn't have as hard a time getting financing if he weren't such a colossal prick, especially as we move further and further from the nielsen ratings that buried the show, having any sort of relevance whatsoever.

Glover probably is too big a deal now; but if someone could get him excited about it, that would make the project a lot more bankable & easier to sell...even with Harmon's history.

That's true, he probably would have an easier time, on the flip side, now that I think about it, he might have an in with Rick & Morty being as popular as it is.

I've yet to see/read anything that intimates that Glover was unhappy on the show, he was just ready to move on. And it's hard to say that he wasn't right to want that given how his career has boomed since then. I loved the Troy & Abed combo, but I don't fault him for wanting growth to his career. He's probably the most bankable actor to come from that show now, which is funny given that Joel McHale was the guy NBC wanted to keep happy on that show (to the point that they ultimately asked Harmon back, in part, to keep him happy).

I'm nearly finished with my re-watch now, but can say that if they did a movie, it would kind of suck (in a weird way) to not have Chase's Pierce there. I know why that's 99.9% not going to happen (can't ever say "100% not happening" in Hollywood), given the use of a racial slur that led to his exit, even though the director of the episode that apparently was said during, Jay Chandrasekhar (of Super Troopers fame), apparently indicated that it wasn't said with malice or hate, but rather to make a point about Chase being unhappy that Pierce was becoming so racist.

Even if it's just a TV movie, it would be kind of nice to revisit now and see what those characters are doing, what they're up to.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Whoa, whoa, let's not lump Kanye in as "pop rap".
He's probably not, but because I can't stand him nor his music I have to label him with that whole "pop-rap" collective. As I've mentioned in our TV show discussion, I'm just a picking person and really dislike majority of artists when it comes to genres. Yeah there are genres I fall back on over others, which I tend to like a good deal of bands such as Prog rock/metal or reggae rock over things like indie-pop or rap. It's not that I hate indie-pop or rap, but I prefer to like very few. Give me stuff like Deltron 3030, Wu-Tang, and Atmosphere over Drake, Kanye, and M&M. I'm more of a rhythmic sort of guy so I would much rather listen to reggae in my spare time than rap.

I've been getting into a lot of lo-fi hip-hop lately and it has been great from what I've listened to thus far.

I feel like SEPH is probably a huge fan of Kero Kero Bonito
No idea who this was, so I had to YouTube it and omfg it sounded like I was on an acid trip. I like weird though, so this stuff actually isn't too bad to the point I like it. I hate rubbish like Kesha -Tik Tok which is just songs about getting drunk and knocked up or Katy Perry - California Gurls - ears bleed sort of music. Kero Kero Bonito reminded me of this stuff which I do like...

Ok, finally got some time (busy weekend).

It might surprise some people around here, but I've never really considered The Beatles to be at the forefront of psychedelic rock. Sure, they have songs like Tomorrow Never Knows, Blue Jay Way, and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds (among some others) that I personally consider to be their most tripped out/psychedelic; but there were other bands/artists (some of which have already been mentioned) that better defined that genre of music, whereas The Beatles merely contributed...it just turns out that The Beatles being who they are in music history tend to get caught up in there too as a "leader" or "pioneer". I think if one were to look at their music, they'd see what I see--that they were inspired by it, dabbled in it, and then continued making music that they wanted to make. And that's part of the reason why I've always loved The Beatles, they continued growing as musicians and song writers as they went along. Even the early stuff that focused purely on love showed progress with each album. Once they hit Rubber Soul they never looked back though.
Great stuff RL, it is interesting to read your take as a Beatles aficionado. For the record when I started hearing some of The Beatles songs, I went back to expand my knowledge of just the 1960s, however I found myself liking their psychedelic style instead of their pop style (which I still dislike). I still dislike how they were pioneers for the crap we have to listen to in modern day American pop (and Kpop if you want to include). I do agree with your assertion that The Beatles were multiple genres and had their own unique sound for instance Yellow Submarine is way different to Lucy with Diamonds to Hey Jude as such examples....even though Yellow Submarine is an awful song since it stole the melody of Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round.

Not sure if your disdain towards Lennon is more him as a person or just the song Imagine. Even as a fan of his I don't count that as one of his greatest songs, but it is without question his most popular solo work. John Lennon as a man was, as we all are, flawed...deeply flawed. He was prone to erratic mood swings and knew just how to cut you down with his words, and then turn around 5 minutes later and be your best friend.
I think I abhorred Lennon's personality which resulted in him creating a song like Imagine. Interesting take about him on the psychology point-of-view and something which backs up my claim. I don't think he was a bad person though, but grew partially insane and developed wack out logic with the amount of fame going to his (their) head.

Among the biggest reasons I love The Beatles is the fabric of brotherhood that bound them. Over the countless biographies I've read on them that is something that shines through in each of them. And I was thrilled to learn something new about them within the last year, having to do with how McCartney grieved over Lennon's murder. According to Carl Perkins, he was asked by McCartney to come help him record a song for his (McCartney's) album Tug of War in 1981. Perkins contributes over 8 days, and wakes up on his last day with a brand new song in his head, says he "didn't immediately write it down, which I always did," and considered it strange that he didn't. The song is called "My Old Friend" and he sings it to Paul & Linda McCartney as a "thank you for letting me stay in your home and record". It contains a lyric "if we never meet again this side of life, in a little while, over yonder, where there’s peace and quiet, my old friend, won’t you think about me every now and then?" Again, according to Perkins, McCartney got up with tears running down his face and left the room, while Linda informed Perkins that the last words Lennon ever spoke to McCartney were "Think about me every now and then, my old friend."
Really interesting information. Kind of funny because I really dislike McCartney's solo collection since they're too soft-core love songs for me, but I quite enjoyed the songs he singed and created for The Beatles. Probably liked the collection of the thoughts in the end instead of just his individual creativity.

Anyways...

As far as ELO, I've been a big fan for a while, Jeff Lynne is frigging legit. Fun fact--John Lennon once genuinely referred to ELO as "the son of The Beatles".

In regards to U2, I read someone try to explain why they get as much backlash as they do, and this person summed it up as: "They've been together for 40 years, in a lot of ways Bono re-defined what it means to be a frontman, and the band re-defined what it means to be a rock and roll band...and now there's nothing left to re-define". It is kind of an interesting take, and I can see what this person is getting at. The songs are different now, nothing like some of their bigger political hits of the past, but there's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. I actually liked the idea of their last two albums (Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience) in terms of writing from two different mindsets. And whether or not someone likes Bono's politics personally, the band as a unit has consistently put on one hell of a show each time I've seen them (and I'm happy to see them again in May).
I hear a lot of Lynne in The Beatles such as 21st Century Man and maybe Twilight, but I don't consider them as the son of The Beatles. I prefer ELO so I will be biased here, but I hear a lot more progressive elements in ELO's songs (maybe not their singles) where as The Beatles seemed to keep to that pop innuendo. Nothing bad if someone prefers the latter though, just comes down to person preference. Useless note, but I am getting really tired of having to capitalize the "t" in The Beatles similarly to The Offspring.

The Stones have some really good songs, if you're in the mood for them. I won't go out of my way to play them unless I'm really feeling it, but I don't go out of my way to change the station if they start playing on the radio, either. They're kind of like The Beatles for me, in that regard. Petty still is one of my all-time favorites, and you're right that it sucks using past tense with him now. Don't Come Around Here No More is one of my absolute favorite songs by him, and the music video is just so...Tom Petty, haha. I think Breakdown is my top favorite song by him.

I can't say one way or another if I like any foreign pop music. I haven't given it much of a shot, and I'm not really feeling like I need to. Just one of those things that doesn't catch my interest, I guess. Can't say I agree with you regarding Zeppelin - member for member, they're the most talented band, in my opinion. I'm more of a fan of those secondary and tertiary Floyd hits, too. Their big hits are pretty overplayed. I LOVE Rush. Definitely agree with you there. I've also got a bit of a soft spot for some of those hair metal bands from the '80s, as well.

The Police are crazy underrated - good call. I don't like their sound a whole lot, but their talent is evident in just about everything they've done..
What songs would you recommend from the Stones?

There is a lot of good foreign pop, but for me it tends to be in form of techno-sort-of-sounding-songs and when it comes to electronic music, people either love it or hate. And I don't know if you're part of the former or latter group. Not everything needs to be judged by Kpop here as foreign either. For example, one of my favourite top 3 bands in the world is a JRock band called Luna Sea where I love everything about their style and songs.

If you like this, cheque out True Blue and Rosier.

Spirit Dreams Inside
L'Arc~en~Ciel is another amazing pop band, probably more pop than LS

Полина Гагарина - Колыбельная
This is also an amazing Russian pop song, but you gotta like this type of genre to enjoy the song

BREAKOUT - Poszlabym za toba
Here is a solid Polish 60's band.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'd say Method man is the man for sure, but raekwon made wu-tang what they are and were. without raekwon no-one would know who wu tang was today. I got to see Redman and Method Man perform 2 years ago in my hometown. I did not behave and I did have an UNREAL time!
Sounds like a hell of a time. Jealous.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I'll have to listen to in depth I guess but for me it's graduation. College drop out has my favorites of his though.

Now that you say it and I went back to look, yeah, I take it back a little. I didn't realize it had 14 songs. But mostly it's good. Everything I Am is a good one you didn't mention. And some of the rest are decent.

Goodness no.

I can't think of a bad song like I said only Barry bonds. The other one is drunk and hot girls which is alright but not bad.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'll have to listen to in depth I guess but for me it's graduation. College drop out has my favorites of his though.

I can't think of a bad song like I said only Barry bonds. The other one is drunk and hot girls which is alright but not bad.
Mmm, a song titled "Drunk and hot girls" can't possibly be good.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Great stuff RL, it is interesting to read your take as a Beatles aficionado. For the record when I started hearing some of The Beatles songs, I went back to expand my knowledge of just the 1960s, however I found myself liking their psychedelic style instead of their pop style (which I still dislike). I still dislike how they were pioneers for the crap we have to listen to in modern day American pop (and Kpop if you want to include). I do agree with your assertion that The Beatles were multiple genres and had their own unique sound for instance Yellow Submarine is way different to Lucy with Diamonds to Hey Jude as such examples....even though Yellow Submarine is an awful song since it stole the melody of Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round.

Meh, even though they're not my favorite era, early-Beatles still hold a special place in my heart. To be clear, I consider early-Beatles era to be their "pop era". Songs like "She Loves You", "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "I Saw Her Standing There", etc. I generally don't mind songs about love, and they definitely knew how to write one back then, but I personally see and hear progression in their writing with every album, and like I said they really took off with Rubber Soul onward.

I think I abhorred Lennon's personality which resulted in him creating a song like Imagine. Interesting take about him on the psychology point-of-view and something which backs up my claim. I don't think he was a bad person though, but grew partially insane and developed wack out logic with all the fame going to his (their) head.

Lennon came from a split home, and that definitely contributed to his personality. His dad left at a young age, his mom wasn't really "fit" to raise him, so he lived with his aunt, who was very strict (which was good for him). It actually wasn't long before he met McCartney that his mom started coming back into his life, and then shortly after meeting McCartney, she was abruptly killed by an off-duty police officer, hitting her with his car. This was often described as something that deeply bonded the two of them. In one of the more comprehensive biographies I've read on them, by Mark Lewisohn, the death is described as: “For John, who’d grown up without Julia from the age of five, losing her again at 17, with such appalling finality, was the most tremendous and irreconcilable heartbreak,” and "Although she had given Lennon up age five, at the time of her death the pair had reconciled, leading Lennon to later tell how he felt he had lost her twice."

Really interesting information. Kind of funny because I really dislike McCartney's solo collection since they're too soft-core love songs for me, but I quite enjoyed the songs he singed and created for The Beatles. Probably liked the collection of the thoughts in the end instead of just his individual creativity.

Wow...you know I consider you a smart man, but you're vastly underrating McCartney's solo catalog, my friend. Are some of his more popular solo songs "soft-core love songs" (as you put it)? Sure, one of them seemingly written as sort of a shot at Lennon ("Silly Love Songs", as Lennon once said that's all McCartney contributed to The Beatles, or something to that effect). But McCartney has some real good, quality, gems in his solo catalog. If you're interested, I'd be happy to direct you to some.

I hear a lot of Lynne in The Beatles such as 21st Century Man and maybe Twilight, but I don't consider them as the son of The Beatles. I prefer ELO so I will be biased here, but I hear a lot more progressive elements in ELO's songs (maybe not their singles) where as The Beatles seemed to keep to that pop innuendo. Nothing bad if someone prefers the latter though, just comes down to person preference. Useless note, but I am getting really tired of having to capitalize the "t" in The Beatles similarly to The Offspring.

Lynne was super influenced by The Beatles, he's admitted as much in interviews in the past. I think Lennon's comment was more meant in the manner that ELO is what The Beatles would've probably sound like if they had continued, only that they (ELO) did it better. Lynne would go on to be in The Traveling Wilburys with George Harrison, and produced The Beatles Anthology albums (hand-picked by all 3...which was kind of stunning given it was George Martin who produced every album, with exception to Let It Be--a production mess thanks to that hack, Phil Spector).

Reactions: S E P H
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad