OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Kanye West is trash, as both an artist and a person. He might be the most overrated human being to ever live. I can't stand it when kids play Kanye on my aux cord while I'm Uber driving. I'd rather listen to them noisily **** in the backseat.

Old Kanye was actually really good... however fame/Money ruined him.

Right now for rappers its J.Cole and Kdot the others you shouldn't worry about.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Old Kanye was actually really good... however fame/Money ruined him.
The College Dropout/Late Registration/Graduation have some real good songs on them. And the red album is decent. Yeezus and the most recent one are less than great, for those I'll accept a fair bit of criticism, but I'll listen to a couple of songs on them sometimes.
Right now for rappers its J.Cole and Kdot the others you shouldn't worry about.
Well that's a hawt taek. J. Cole is pretty good but he's way overrated, cause he's the standard choice for exactly this kind of statements. I'd say the same for Kendrick but he's clearly the better of the two. Still riding a ridiculous hype train at the moment.

Pusha T and Jon Connor are a couple of the better recent artists.

In any case, all the best rap was already made anyway, so anyone only restricted to the new stuff should just forget about it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The College Dropout/Late Registration/Graduation have some real good songs on them. And the red album is decent. Yeezus and the most recent one are less than great, for those I'll accept a fair bit of criticism, but I'll listen to a couple of songs on them sometimes.

Well that's a hawt taek. J. Cole is pretty good but he's way overrated, cause he's the standard choice for exactly this kind of statements. I'd say the same for Kendrick but he's clearly the better of the two. Still riding a ridiculous hype train at the moment.

Pusha T and Jon Connor are a couple of the better recent artists.

In any case, all the best rap was already made anyway, so anyone only restricted to the new stuff should just forget about it.

Never heard of either name tbh. LOL

I agree rap in the 90's early 2000's was much better but everything in that era was better.

Maybe, I just like rap that has meaning which is why Cole and Kendrick appeal to me. I think Cole is the better of the two actually, its an unpopular opinion but he has less "bad" songs. Kendrick is more hype while cole makes you think and just contemplate life. He's more of a guy you listen to solo while Kendrick is one you can play with friends getting lit.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah, Kendrick has more hype and I agree with the alone/with friends thing, but I think J. Cole is the fake hipster choice.

Or maybe hipster is the wrong choice of words but surely you get the idea.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Definitely agree with you @Duchene2MacKinnon I think J Cole is better than Kendrick for sure, Logic is also one of the best out there right now although his last album was a bit underwhelming. Joey Badass can also be really good, really has an old school vibe to some of his music, but also gets trapped in some of the newer stuff which sucks.

Oh and old Kanye was legit, his first ~3 albums were incredible. But his new stuff is straight garbage.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
^^^ Quality stuff right there 21. I think I know what I'm going to be listening to at work today.

I am not a fan of Kanye as a person by any stretch of the imagination... but his music through MBDTF is excellent. His most recent stuff is garbage.

Reactions: 21

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So I've been expanding my musical taste beyond my confines and decided to explore a new frontier for music. I was looking more into psychedelic rock so that meant to head back to 'nam and the age of pharmaceutics. Forunately for @RockLobster that included The Beatles along with other bands such as Bob Dylan, The Hollies, and ELO. By going on this music journey, perhaps my discernment has increased since I found a handful of Beatle songs I quite enjoyed. These songs included the utterly most annoying yet insanely catchy Hello-Goodbye (my favourite), I Feel Fine, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Here Comes the Sun, and Strawberry Fields Forever. However, on my odyssey I found something I hate more on The Beatles and that is effin John Lennon. He might've wrote some of those songs above, but my god I cannot stand him and that Imagine song. I want to rip my ears out every time I have to hear that trash, I would rather pick a song from JWK's NA pop playlist than that. Stupid Hoe by Nicki Minaj is better than that rubbish.

I then progressed towards ELO, which I knew about before, but man they have an awesome discography. There is not a bad song on their album Time, but I found myself repeating 10538 Overtune multiple times. Wonderful band. I finally finished it up listening to U2 and Gloria really caught my attention as one of those "hidden singles", which is famous, but never gets played for some reason. Very creative song. Before all of this though I found myself "shazaming The Hollies Cool Woman in a Black Dress or whatever it is called. I love the CCR sound, so when I heard this song I instantly fell in love along with Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay masterpiece.

Well that was my sojourn of the past month.

Ok, finally got some time (busy weekend).

It might surprise some people around here, but I've never really considered The Beatles to be at the forefront of psychedelic rock. Sure, they have songs like Tomorrow Never Knows, Blue Jay Way, and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds (among some others) that I personally consider to be their most tripped out/psychedelic; but there were other bands/artists (some of which have already been mentioned) that better defined that genre of music, whereas The Beatles merely contributed...it just turns out that The Beatles being who they are in music history tend to get caught up in there too as a "leader" or "pioneer". I think if one were to look at their music, they'd see what I see--that they were inspired by it, dabbled in it, and then continued making music that they wanted to make. And that's part of the reason why I've always loved The Beatles, they continued growing as musicians and song writers as they went along. Even the early stuff that focused purely on love showed progress with each album. Once they hit Rubber Soul they never looked back though.

Not sure if your disdain towards Lennon is more him as a person or just the song Imagine. Even as a fan of his I don't count that as one of his greatest songs, but it is without question his most popular solo work. John Lennon as a man was, as we all are, flawed...deeply flawed. He was prone to erratic mood swings and knew just how to cut you down with his words, and then turn around 5 minutes later and be your best friend.

Among the biggest reasons I love The Beatles is the fabric of brotherhood that bound them. Over the countless biographies I've read on them that is something that shines through in each of them. And I was thrilled to learn something new about them within the last year, having to do with how McCartney grieved over Lennon's murder. According to Carl Perkins, he was asked by McCartney to come help him record a song for his (McCartney's) album Tug of War in 1981. Perkins contributes over 8 days, and wakes up on his last day with a brand new song in his head, says he "didn't immediately write it down, which I always did," and considered it strange that he didn't. The song is called "My Old Friend" and he sings it to Paul & Linda McCartney as a "thank you for letting me stay in your home and record". It contains a lyric "if we never meet again this side of life, in a little while, over yonder, where there’s peace and quiet, my old friend, won’t you think about me every now and then?" Again, according to Perkins, McCartney got up with tears running down his face and left the room, while Linda informed Perkins that the last words Lennon ever spoke to McCartney were "Think about me every now and then, my old friend."

Anyways...

As far as ELO, I've been a big fan for a while, Jeff Lynne is frigging legit. Fun fact--John Lennon once genuinely referred to ELO as "the son of The Beatles".

In regards to U2, I read someone try to explain why they get as much backlash as they do, and this person summed it up as: "They've been together for 40 years, in a lot of ways Bono re-defined what it means to be a frontman, and the band re-defined what it means to be a rock and roll band...and now there's nothing left to re-define". It is kind of an interesting take, and I can see what this person is getting at. The songs are different now, nothing like some of their bigger political hits of the past, but there's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. I actually liked the idea of their last two albums (Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience) in terms of writing from two different mindsets. And whether or not someone likes Bono's politics personally, the band as a unit has consistently put on one hell of a show each time I've seen them (and I'm happy to see them again in May).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I expected a rap argument to come out. Usually does following a TV show argument.

Kanye is magical. Some of his work goes so unappreciated. He has some absolutely legendary albums and also basicall saved Jay-Z's then dying career. His music today is often pretty bad but he doesn't produce it for sales. He produces what he enjoys and what's on his mind. He's an odd dude. His brain is bigger than his body. But the talent is simply unworldly. Hell I even like some of his new stuff.

J.Cole isn't a hipster fad. He's simply just the best rapper out there. At least that's my opinion. I used to listen to J.cole alone and not speak a word of it to anyone. Not because it was cool, but because he was so talented. He raps about real stuff. Relatable stuff. Not just about money and strippers. He doesn't pretend to be something he's not. Everyone can relate which is so cool.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I expected a rap argument to come out. Usually does following a TV show argument.

Kanye is magical. Some of his work goes so unappreciated. He has some absolutely legendary albums and also basicall saved Jay-Z's then dying career. His music today is often pretty bad but he doesn't produce it for sales. He produces what he enjoys and what's on his mind. He's an odd dude. His brain is bigger than his body. But the talent is simply unworldly. Hell I even like some of his new stuff.

J.Cole isn't a hipster fad. He's simply just the best rapper out there. At least that's my opinion. I used to listen to J.cole alone and not speak a word of it to anyone. Not because it was cool, but because he was so talented. He raps about real stuff. Relatable stuff. Not just about money and strippers. He doesn't pretend to be something he's not. Everyone can relate which is so cool.

Kanye’s first few albums really cemented Kanye as one of the best rappers at the time. I’m not too sure how his new albums and attitude affect his legacy in people’s eyes, but it hasn’t been great in mine. But you have to respect his pure talent.

J Cole is currently one of my favorite rappers, and i would definitely agree he’s the best currently.

Now for my hot takes :sarcasm:
I find Tupac and Jay- Z incredibly overrated, good rappers for sure but I can’t think of any way I’d put them at #1 or anywhere close to that.

Eminem is the GOAT

ATCQ is the best rap group ever

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, Kendrick has more hype and I agree with the alone/with friends thing, but I think J. Cole is the fake hipster choice.

Or maybe hipster is the wrong choice of words but surely you get the idea.

Not really lol... I don't see a hipster movement nor "fake"?

Definitely agree with you @Duchene2MacKinnon I think J Cole is better than Kendrick for sure, Logic is also one of the best out there right now although his last album was a bit underwhelming. Joey Badass can also be really good, really has an old school vibe to some of his music, but also gets trapped in some of the newer stuff which sucks.

Oh and old Kanye was legit, his first ~3 albums were incredible. But his new stuff is straight garbage.

Kanye as a person is just terrible... Yup, I only listen to those albums mainly like 4/5 songs in each album.

College drop out:

Never let me down
Jesus walks
Through the wire
2 words
All falls down

Graduation: (his most complete album no real bad songs, except for Barry bonds)

Big Brother
Champion
I wonder
Stronger
after that I can't choose... all good.

Late registration:

Diamonds are from Sierra Leone
My way home
Celebration
Hey Mama
Gone

I listen to FML and waves here and there but meh.

Its funny because I actually wasn't a big music fan before Cole's latest album. He made me an instant fan. 4 your eyez only is a masterpiece and probably not even his best.

Cole world/4 your eyez only
Forrest hill drives
Born sinner

His mixtapes before he made are legit too. Maybe even better than his albums.

Premeditated murder
Simba(the whole trilogy is awesome)
Miss America
2 face

are just amazing honestly can't pick one nor list them all.

Kanye’s first few albums really cemented Kanye as one of the best rappers at the time. I’m not too sure how his new albums and attitude affect his legacy in people’s eyes, but it hasn’t been great in mine. But you have to respect his pure talent.

J Cole is currently one of my favorite rappers, and i would definitely agree he’s the best currently.

Now for my hot takes :sarcasm:
I find Tupac and Jay- Z incredibly overrated, good rappers for sure but I can’t think of any way I’d put them at #1 or anywhere close to that.

Eminem is the GOAT

ATCQ is the best rap group ever

Thing I hate about Kanye is the hype and his "wife" that whole lifestyle and how people love it pisses me off. As a rapper he's solid but gets way too much credit.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Forgot to mention Joey is pretty good. His latest album is top notch, mainly again I like rap that's meaningful/political. His older albums were meh but I have hopes for him he can produce better. He's talented unlike the mumble crap you here in the mainstream. The whole lil "clan" Uzi,pump,xxx yachet or lil whatever just terrible not worth 2 minutes of anyones time. Migos too.

Logic is ok but his music is straight up depressing.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Not really lol... I don't see a hipster movement nor "fake"?
I don't mean to say he's fake, not at all. I just feel like he's the household name for anyone who makes the "new hip hop blows" argument. And I should say that G.O.M.D. is one of my favorite rap songs out there, and it's not his only good song. Somehow with music and television, people have this tendency that they have to single out two or three TV shows and artists and whatnot, and they're always the same. J. Cole and Kendrick are the best rappers, Game of Thrones and *insert name* are the best TV shows... Surely people aren't that conformative in their music tastes.

If you've only found two active rappers who are any good, you aren't searching for yourself.

Oh, and on Eminem being the GOAT, yeah, probably - I love his old material, but his last album was even worse than the one before. I hate the new weird shouty style.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Thing I hate about Kanye is the hype and his "wife" that whole lifestyle and how people love it pisses me off. As a rapper he's solid but gets way too much credit.

Definitely rubs me the wrong way as well. He definitely bought into himself and his ego skyrocketed, but as a rapper I think he gets the credit he deserves with his older stuff. When people hype Yeezus and Pablo though...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh, and on Eminem being the GOAT, yeah, probably - I love his old material, but his last album was even worse than the one before. I hate the new weird shouty style.

I actually thought his new album wasn’t too bad. Definitely not his best, but some of the songs are really good. Tragic Endings and Offended are the two best songs off that album for sure, but I agree the weird shouting thing he does in half his songs isn’t great.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What rubs me the wrong way about Kanye and Jay, is that there are several instances in their catalogs where they use Bad Boy lyrics, Common's lyrics, etc. and call it "homage".
I actually thought his new album wasn’t too bad. Definitely not his best, but some of the songs are really good. Tragic Endings and Offended are the two best songs off that album for sure, but I agree the weird shouting thing he does in half his songs isn’t great.
At the same time though, I think Relapse got too much flak.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Forgot to mention Joey is pretty good. His latest album is top notch, mainly again I like rap that's meaningful/political. His older albums were meh but I have hopes for him he can produce better. He's talented unlike the mumble crap you here in the mainstream. The whole lil "clan" Uzi,pump,xxx yachet or lil whatever just terrible not worth 2 minutes of anyones time. Migos too.

Logic is ok but his music is straight up depressing.

If you like political/meaningful rap do listen to Lupe Fiasco?

And if you think Logic is depressing you probably only listened to his last album, because he’s definitely not depressing. Bobby Tarantino and The Incredible True Story are super fun albums to listen to, and that’s not including his Young Sinatra stuff. Logic definitely has a deep and depressing side to his music but most of it is pretty upbeat.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What rubs me the wrong way about Kanye and Jay, is that there are several instances in their catalogs where they use Bad Boy lyrics, Common's lyrics, etc. and call it "homage".

At the same time though, I think Relapse got too much flak.

Not a Jay Z fan for the most part. He has good songs here and there but most of his catalog doesn’t do much for me.

Relapse wasn’t a bad album, but at the time compared to what Em was putting out it was a big step down and I think that’s where all the flak comes from. Because I feel the same way about Recovery, I really like that album, but compared to his older stuff it’s jist not the same.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Lupe's mostly solid.

Yup. I just hate that the one song that finally went super mainstream is probably the most depressing song of all time, even if it is a good song with a good message.

Edit: thought that said Logic not Lupe. Disregard what I said.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't mean to say he's fake, not at all. I just feel like he's the household name for anyone who makes the "new hip hop blows" argument. And I should say that G.O.M.D. is one of my favorite rap songs out there, and it's not his only good song. Somehow with music and television, people have this tendency that they have to single out two or three TV shows and artists and whatnot, and they're always the same. J. Cole and Kendrick are the best rappers, Game of Thrones and *insert name* are the best TV shows... Surely people aren't that conformative in their music tastes.

If you've only found two active rappers who are any good, you aren't searching for yourself.

That's fair... I listen to other rappers who are still active just not a big fan. Childish Gambino (Bonfire is really good), Drake who I hate as a person but his music is up there.

Definitely rubs me the wrong way as well. He definitely bought into himself and his ego skyrocketed, but as a rapper I think he gets the credit he deserves with his older stuff. When people hype Yeezus and Pablo though...

Idk maybe, its just my group of friends that have me hating on him. They love his older work and can't get enough of it. Think he's the GOAT.

If you like political/meaningful rap do listen to Lupe Fiasco?

And if you think Logic is depressing you probably only listened to his last album, because he’s definitely not depressing. Bobby Tarantino and The Incredible True Story are super fun albums to listen to, and that’s not including his Young Sinatra stuff. Logic definitely has a deep and depressing side to his music but most of it is pretty upbeat.

Facts... Ill give them a shot.

Sidenote, I found other songs since we started this discussion from Cole mixtapes. So, thanks lol.

Top 10 J. Cole Story-Telling Tracks

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That's fair... I listen to other rappers who are still active just not a big fan. Childish Gambino (Bonfire is really good), Drake who I hate as a person but his music is up there.

Idk maybe, its just my group of friends that have me hating on him. They love his older work and can't get enough of it. Think he's the GOAT.

Facts... Ill give them a shot.

Sidenote, I found other songs since we started this discussion from Cole mixtapes. So, thanks lol.

Top 10 J. Cole Story-Telling Tracks

I mean I wouldn’t call Kanye’s early albums the best of all time, but I definitely think they’ll age well and be very well regarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad