OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I've been expanding my musical taste beyond my confines and decided to explore a new frontier for music. I was looking more into psychedelic rock so that meant to head back to 'nam and the age of pharmaceutics. Forunately for @RockLobster that included The Beatles along with other bands such as Bob Dylan, The Hollies, and ELO. By going on this music journey, perhaps my discernment has increased since I found a handful of Beatle songs I quite enjoyed. These songs included the utterly most annoying yet insanely catchy Hello-Goodbye (my favourite), I Feel Fine, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Here Comes the Sun, and Strawberry Fields Forever. However, on my odyssey I found something I hate more on The Beatles and that is effin John Lennon. He might've wrote some of those songs above, but my god I cannot stand him and that Imagine song. I want to rip my ears out every time I have to hear that trash, I would rather pick a song from JWK's NA pop playlist than that. Stupid Hoe by Nicki Minaj is better than that rubbish.

I then progressed towards ELO, which I knew about before, but man they have an awesome discography. There is not a bad song on their album Time, but I found myself repeating 10538 Overtune multiple times. Wonderful band. I finally finished it up listening to U2 and Gloria really caught my attention as one of those "hidden singles", which is famous, but never gets played for some reason. Very creative song. Before all of this though I found myself "shazaming The Hollies Cool Woman in a Black Dress or whatever it is called. I love the CCR sound, so when I heard this song I instantly fell in love along with Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay masterpiece.

Well that was my sojourn of the past month.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So I've been expanding my musical taste beyond my confines and decided to explore a new frontier for music. I was looking more into psychedelic rock so that meant to head back to 'nam and the age of pharmaceutics. Forunately for @RockLobster that included The Beatles along with other bands such as Bob Dylan, The Hollies, and ELO. By going on this music journey, perhaps my discernment has increased since I found a handful of Beatle songs I quite enjoyed. These songs included the utterly most annoying yet insanely catchy Hello-Goodbye (my favourite), I Feel Fine, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Here Comes the Sun, and Strawberry Fields Forever. However, on my odyssey I found something I hate more on The Beatles and that is effin John Lennon. He might've wrote some of those songs above, but my god I cannot stand him and that Imagine song. I want to rip my ears out every time I have to hear that trash, I would rather pick a song from JWK's NA pop playlist than that. Stupid Hoe by Nicki Minaj is better than that rubbish.

I then progressed towards ELO, which I knew about before, but man they have an awesome discography. There is not a bad song on their album Time, but I found myself repeating 10538 Overtune multiple times. Wonderful band. I finally finished it up listening to U2 and Gloria really caught my attention as one of those "hidden singles", which is famous, but never gets played for some reason. Very creative song. Before all of this though I found myself "shazaming The Hollies Cool Woman in a Black Dress or whatever it is called. I love the CCR sound, so when I heard this song I instantly fell in love along with Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay masterpiece.

Oh, I’m *defintely* going to have a reply to a lot of this. But I’m tired, so it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

You listen to any Hendrix? The Doors? The Stones? You mention CCR, so I assume you listened to their stuff, too. Lynyrd Skynyrd is probably the best southern rock band ever, so their discography is worth a listen. Neil Young is obviously a legend, Jefferson Airplane also really encapsulate the psychedelic sound in their music. The Animals are also worth a listen from that era, as well.

All of the above capture the vibe of the ‘Nam era of music better than anything The Beatles ever did.

Edit: Had to add Janis Joplin & The Yardbirds into the mix, too.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Speaking as an American with a Korean mother, it's a huge deal to me when someone who shares my heritage and looks a little like me makes it into the news (for good reasons, that is). I'm thrilled to death that so many US figure skaters in this year's Olympics are Asian-American, and that Chloe friggin' Kim won gold in the women's halfpipe event. For obvious reasons I was also a big fan of NHL grinder Richard Park.

Also, while it's not the best TV around, Fresh off the Boat is appointment television for me. It's been 20 years since the last TV show featuring an Asian-American family went off the air (All-American Girl, which was actually terrible but I still watched), so yes, I can at least speak to the issue of representation.

I love Fresh Off The Boat! Hilarious and even keeled jokes. Also appreciate that Jessica and Honey are probably the two hottest moms out of any tv show on the air right now.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I love Fresh Off The Boat! Hilarious and even keeled jokes. Also appreciate that Jessica and Honey are probably the two hottest moms out of any tv show on the air right now.

I don't disagree on any of that.

Now I'm gonna come off like kind of a creep since, hot as she is, Jessica's Asian quirks remind me sooooo much of my mother. I about fell out of my chair when she marveled at the 90s invention of Crystal Pepsi. My mother bought a nuclear fallout shelter's worth of that stuff when it first came out.

Also, the "Asian Flush" episode inspired by Teen Wolf was an absolute stroke of genius.

Reactions: Bonzai12

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I don't disagree on any of that.

Now I'm gonna come off like kind of a creep since, hot as she is, Jessica's Asian quirks remind me sooooo much of my mother. I about fell out of my chair when she marveled at the 90s invention of Crystal Pepsi. My mother bought a nuclear fallout shelter's worth of that stuff when it first came out.

Also, the "Asian Flush" episode inspired by Teen Wolf was an absolute stroke of genius.

Poke did you say you're from South Korea? if so what do you think of the whole Korea as one country thing at the Olympics?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You listen to any Hendrix? The Doors? The Stones? You mention CCR, so I assume you listened to their stuff, too. Lynyrd Skynyrd is probably the best southern rock band ever, so their discography is worth a listen. Neil Young is obviously a legend, Jefferson Airplane also really encapsulate the psychedelic sound in their music. The Animals are also worth a listen from that era, as well.

All of the above capture the vibe of the ‘Nam era of music better than anything The Beatles ever did.

Edit: Had to add Janis Joplin & The Yardbirds into the mix, too.
I love Hendrix; when we had the last musical discussion talking about talent, I labelled Jimi as probably the most talented artist of all time. Not because of how technical or hard his songs were to play, but how unique the style he created was. My favourite song by Hendrix has to be Voodoo Child (Slight Return). The Doors are great too, haven't really listened to their entire discography, but the singles that I know I love, Riders of the Storm especially. The Rolling Stones is a band out there which I have absolutely zero desire for, not to say that they're bad, but I am not interested in them. Lynyrd Skynyrd is tough because Free Bird has to be one of the most epic songs in history, but Sweet Home Alabama is up there with Imagine as truly rubbish songs I try to skip as much as possible. Jefferson Airplane is good until they decided to break up and form Jefferson Starship. With that said, I prefer Green Tambourine and Incense and Peppermints as psychedelic rock is concerned. The Moody Blues is probably my favourite 60's band - that flute solo on Tuesday Morning is amazing.

Some of the best discographies for me though in the past is easily Peter Gabriel, The Cult (probably my favourite 80s band), and KC and the Sunshine Band.

@UncleRisto : Ehhhhh, I don't wish anyone to die even if I can't stand an artist's music. It's just music in the end...

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Poke did you say you're from South Korea? if so what do you think of the whole Korea as one country thing at the Olympics?

No, actually I'm Wheat Ridge-born, Arvada-raised Colorado native. I've never been to South Korea, and sadly, my familial connections there are nonexistent. I may or may not have an uncle there still, more than likely my grandparents there are long gone. My mother has never traveled back there either. I always dreamed of taking my mother back and looking for her family, who apparently shunned her for marrying an American soldier. Attitudes have changed big-time when it comes to that, thanks in no small part to guys like Hines Ward who traveled the country with his mother and actively funds programs to help combat any stigmas half-Koreans encounter in their own country. Anyway, maybe someday...

As for the whole "Unified Korea" thing, I'm fine with it, especially since it made that toolbag Pence look like the childish clown he is (sorry if that gets too political, I'll take my lumps if need be), What I am NOT okay with is the normalizing by the American and worldwide media of the North Korean contingent and the stories on how these "cheerleaders" are stealing the show or something to that effect. They happily gloss over the fact that this is one of the most brutal regimes in the world, and reportedly if those cheerleaders so much as look at someone the wrong way and their nearby "handler" catches them, it's off the gulags or worse. I get that South Korea may be in some way glossing over that as well by offering this very big olive branch, but they're in a much, much tougher position, especially since the madman currently occupying the White House is just casually goading another madman with a nuclear arsenal on social media.

I hope this leads to talks, to progress, to an eventual end of the North Korean regime (according to my mother I'm technically NORTH Korean, her family fled to the south when the war broke out, and before anyone asks, yes her family name is "Kim" but I ain't related to that chubby little despot :laugh: ) then...bonus! It's gotta start somewhere, right? Maybe I'll see a unified Korea within my lifetime. That would be something. Anyway, hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I love Hendrix; when we had the last musical discussion talking about talent, I labelled Jimi as probably the most talented artist of all time. Not because of how technical or hard his songs were to play, but how unique the style he created was. My favourite song by Hendrix has to be Voodoo Child (Slight Return). The Doors are great too, haven't really listened to their entire discography, but the singles that I know I love, Riders of the Storm especially. The Rolling Stones is a band out there which I have absolutely zero desire for, not to say that they're bad, but I am not interested in them. Lynyrd Skynyrd is tough because Free Bird has to be one of the most epic songs in history, but Sweet Home Alabama is up there with Imagine as truly rubbish songs I try to skip as much as possible. Jefferson Airplane is good until they decided to break up and form Jefferson Starship. With that said, I prefer Green Tambourine and Incense and Peppermints as psychedelic rock is concerned. The Moody Blues is probably my favourite 60's band - that flute solo on Tuesday Morning is amazing.

Some of the best discographies for me though in the past is easily Peter Gabriel, The Cult (probably my favourite 80s band), and KC and the Sunshine Band.

@UncleRisto : Ehhhhh, I don't wish anyone to die even if I can't stand an artist's music. It's just music in the end...
I can’t really disagree with your opinions regarding Hendrix. Dude made his own sound, and he rocked that sound better than anyone else I’ve heard. I’m curious about why you aren’t interested in the Stones - what makes you uninterested in their music? I’m not a fan of Sweet Home Alabama, either, personally, but I like a large majority of their songs. The Moody Blues are a great band. Not sure how psychedelic I would consider them, though. Tom Petty dabbled with some psychedelic rock, too, and his songs are pretty great.

Are you generally a fan of classic rock? From your previous posts regarding music, I noticed a lot of K-Pop, haha. I don’t know anything about that type of music. Classic rock is really the only genre I know anything about.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Actually i remember an amazing anthology of psychedelic rock my dad had when i was growing up was called Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era. Has a ton of 60's and 70's songs to sift through at your leisure. Check it out if you want to really expand your psychedelic rock knowledge and exposure. It's a 4 CD set. Probably over 100 songs

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A recommended record for those that like psychedelic music is Love - Forever Change. Not as weird as some places the genre went later but still interesting.

Reactions: 21

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
No, actually I'm Wheat Ridge-born, Arvada-raised Colorado native. I've never been to South Korea, and sadly, my familial connections there are nonexistent. I may or may not have an uncle there still, more than likely my grandparents there are long gone. My mother has never traveled back there either. I always dreamed of taking my mother back and looking for her family, who apparently shunned her for marrying an American soldier. Attitudes have changed big-time when it comes to that, thanks in no small part to guys like Hines Ward who traveled the country with his mother and actively funds programs to help combat any stigmas half-Koreans encounter in their own country. Anyway, maybe someday...

As for the whole "Unified Korea" thing, I'm fine with it, especially since it made that toolbag Pence look like the childish clown he is (sorry if that gets too political, I'll take my lumps if need be), What I am NOT okay with is the normalizing by the American and worldwide media of the North Korean contingent and the stories on how these "cheerleaders" are stealing the show or something to that effect. They happily gloss over the fact that this is one of the most brutal regimes in the world, and reportedly if those cheerleaders so much as look at someone the wrong way and their nearby "handler" catches them, it's off the gulags or worse. I get that South Korea may be in some way glossing over that as well by offering this very big olive branch, but they're in a much, much tougher position, especially since the madman currently occupying the White House is just casually goading another madman with a nuclear arsenal on social media.

I hope this leads to talks, to progress, to an eventual end of the North Korean regime (according to my mother I'm technically NORTH Korean, her family fled to the south when the war broke out, and before anyone asks, yes her family name is "Kim" but I ain't related to that chubby little despot :laugh: ) then...bonus! It's gotta start somewhere, right? Maybe I'll see a unified Korea within my lifetime. That would be something. Anyway, hope that answers your question.

I mean, attitudes towards individuals who marry non-Koreans are still quite poor. I don't know how much better they are now than in the past, but from my experience attitudes are quite negative. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't consider taking her back or whatever, but you should be aware that there is still animosity. Most South Koreans have basically given up on Bukhan, and probably don't really want to have to take on that burden, especially with the "Hell Korea" mentality already going around with the youth. I do support sunshine policy, though I hold no pretense that it will ever do anything to soften or meaningfully effect the regime.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean, attitudes towards individuals who marry non-Koreans are still quite poor. I don't know how much better they are now than in the past, but from my experience attitudes are quite negative. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't consider taking her back or whatever, but you should be aware that there is still animosity. Most South Koreans have basically given up on Bukhan, and probably don't really want to have to take on that burden, especially with the "Hell Korea" mentality already going around with the youth. I do support sunshine policy, though I hold no pretense that it will ever do anything to soften or meaningfully effect the regime.

Well, I figured that was the case, I shouldn't have said "big-time." I mean, it's not like racism here has magically gone away either. In fact, in some ways it's gotten worse. But I feel like the general attitudes are changing. They really weren't even challenged before.

I don't ever believe we'll see a unified Korea, certainly not if China has any say in the matter. And the damage will take many, many decades to undo if it ever does happen. But I suppose a crack in the door is better than nothing.

This is good info nevertheless, thanks.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Korean/Asian culture is absolutely fascinating to me, it's like a whole other world. I'd love to go over and visit some day.

Also, some of my buddies that I haven't seen in years who have been off traveling came for the weekend, good thing I'm looking to gain mass and not lose mass because I haven't eaten and drank so much in a long time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know people are anti-Marvel now, but saw Black Panther over the weekend. Dope movie, Great song usage.
I can’t really disagree with your opinions regarding Hendrix. Dude made his own sound, and he rocked that sound better than anyone else I’ve heard. I’m curious about why you aren’t interested in the Stones - what makes you uninterested in their music? I’m not a fan of Sweet Home Alabama, either, personally, but I like a large majority of their songs. The Moody Blues are a great band. Not sure how psychedelic I would consider them, though. Tom Petty dabbled with some psychedelic rock, too, and his songs are pretty great.

Are you generally a fan of classic rock? From your previous posts regarding music, I noticed a lot of K-Pop, haha. I don’t know anything about that type of music. Classic rock is really the only genre I know anything about.
Hard to pinpoint actually why I don't care for the Stones, Jagger has a got a good voice, but I just don't really like their style. I Can't Get No would be my favourite song by them, but I think it also gets very boring to listen to. Tom Petty was awesome, sucks I have to use that as past tense. Not huge a fan of American Girl, but love Free Falling, Runnin' Down a Dream, and Don't Come Around Here No More (creative music video).

I love pretty much everything (including kpop) except country, American Pop, and anything that is Pop-Rap (stuff like Nicki Minaj/Drake/Kanye West/trash). I don't know if I would consider myself a classic rock fan, like I think a lot of Led Zeppelin's discography is insanely overrated along with The Beatles. Best Pink Floyd songs are not Money, Another Brick in the Wall, One of These Days, Wish You Were Here, and Have a Cigar. I mean I still love Us and Them, Time, Sheep, Comfortably Numb, and Shine on You Crazy Diamond...I prefer songs like Learning to Fly, Young Lust, Running like Hell, Eclipse, Take It Back, Sorrow, On the Turning Away, and Marooned. Some of those songs are still popular, but not as much as the previous one I mentioned. As for your question, I really appreciate classic rock, better than anything being made nowadays, but I am more of a New Wave guy. I find myself listening to bands like Yes and Rush who started in the 1970s and even 60s, but made their presence felt in the 80s.

Another band who's discography which can match up with the best of them is The Police. Don't Stand so Close to Me is an unbelieveable song, would easily put that in my top 100 favourite songs if I ever wanted to compile a list. I also think Walking on the Moon as one of the most undervalued songs as well.

A recommended record for those that like psychedelic music is Love - Forever Change. Not as weird as some places the genre went later but still interesting.

I was expecting a song, but got a whole album. Alright, alright, give me week and I will post my thoughts.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cream is one of the best psychedelic era bands not mentioned above. check em out. Eric Clapton and Sugar Baker do it right. Disraeli Gears is one phenomenal album
Oh trust me I know all of these bands. My cousin is huge in the classic rock genre and makes his way to that annual concert down in Texas which has Eric Clapton, BBKing (RIP), John Mayer, and the lot. We used to always jam to that type of music when I was in high school. I've been quite liking Doyle Bramhall a lot.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kanye West is trash, as both an artist and a person. He might be the most overrated human being to ever live. I can't stand it when kids play Kanye on my aux cord while I'm Uber driving. I'd rather listen to them noisily f*** in the backseat.

Reactions: S E P H

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Someone explain to me why a Marvel movie finally starring an African American actor is such a god damn celebration, and how a movie titled "Black Panther" doesn't just further instill the racial identities currently in place?

Tricky question, racial politics in America is extremely complex. For my black friends, they're happy because they finally have a hero who represents them. Hollywood never liked to make movies that were made for them, because the assumption always was that white people wouldn't go see them. So for them to see a hero, from Africa, who is a badass king/warrior is huge for them. Imagine if every superhero in the world didn't look like you or acknowledge your heritage, then all of a sudden Chris Hemsworth as Thor comes along.

Without (hopefully) getting too political for the boards, I will say that a large part of the racial problems we have in this country is the idea that talking about race makes the problem worse. As a country, we are simply not in the post-racism era yet. We will be, someday, but for now, talking about race and making a big deal about it is the only way to help get there. Sweeping it under the rug and pretending it doesn't exist is part of why it's still a problem.

Movies/media/popculture plays a bigger role in how people perceive the world. In all honesty, its mostly propaganda.

The funny thing is this isn't the first hero who's black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad