(The Athletic) NHL Front-office confidence rankings

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They haven't met expectations which is why they should be middle of the pack.

They make the playoffs every year, they are top 10 almost every year, but come playoff time they haven't met expectations So they should be 13-17 not 30th.

The teams I mentioned some of them are closing in a decade without playoffs, and in Buffalo's case they are working on their 2nd decade, they have a ways to go but they are working on it.

I'm not, cooper is still there.

I don't really know what's hard to understand about this. This is the Maple Leafs' best roster and chance to end a 55+ year Cup drought in at least 30 years, and they've not even come close.

Realistically, their window is open now, they haven't done f*** all with it, they don't look any closer to doing f*** all with it, and the closer it gets to closing, reality is setting in for a lot of people that they may go 65-70 years without winning a Cup.

... That means a lot of Leafs fans will never see a Cup win in their lifetime, even though they were supposed to have this incredible core.

• Love
Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You guys... this is a fan poll. Your beef is with 1000's of fan's rankings of their own (and other) management groups.

For the Leafs thing, it just gets old because you ask our fans and they will say bottom 3 without any thought, especially in public polls like this we have a lot of fans who LOVE to show how much they hate the team and how unbiased they are. Then add haters on top.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
tampa should be at the bottom. so much dumb trades and signings in the last couple of years. the team is managed by idiots.

Go check all the shifting Rob Blake did to make room for that disgusting PLD contract.

He pretty much changed the entire landscape of the franchise to bring in PLD. Then was lucky enough to somehow get rid of him. (He should still be fired)

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't really know what's hard to understand about this. This is the Maple Leafs' best roster and chance to end a 55+ year Cup drought in at least 30 years, and they've not even come close.

Realistically, their window is open now, they haven't done f*** all with it, they don't look any closer to doing f*** all with it, and the closer it gets to closing, reality is setting in for a lot of people that they may go 65-70 years without winning a Cup.

... That means a lot of Leafs fans will never see a Cup win in their lifetime, even though they were supposed to have this incredible core.

So you take away points for not meeting potential, but don't give any for making a roster with potential. Haha

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
For the Leafs thing, it just gets old because you ask our fans and they will say bottom 3 without any thought, especially in public polls like this we have a lot of fans who LOVE to show how much they hate the team and how unbiased they are. Then add haters on top.

You have to have success to have haters.

So you take away points for not meeting potential, but don't give any for making a roster with potential. Haha

The Leafs potential was stripped away when they signed their core to those contracts.

Their core had potential. Their management (And their core, to be fair) killed it when they signed them to contracts that made it impossible to fill out the roster with the depth necessary to win.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
You have to have success to have haters.

Your presence is proof against that

The Leafs potential was stripped away when they signed their core to those contracts.

Their core had potential. Their management (And their core, to be fair) killed it when they signed them to contracts that made it impossible to fill out the roster with the depth necessary to win.

*yawn*

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Public vote is 2.5% of the votes, it’s all leafs fans voting against the leafs,
Did you read the article, as the public vote was better than the leaf vote.

yet somehow leafs keep repeating being disrespected.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Buffalo will be paying Dahlin/Power/Cozens/Thompson a combined $33.5M in 2029-2030... That's the same amount Toronto was paying Matthews/Marner/Tavares in 2019-2020.

Man I wonder why Buffalo fans are a little more confident than Leafs fans. :laugh:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Pointing out that your team has been a massive failure and your peers justifiably should doubt management isn't hating lmao. Keep playing the victim. I'll play you the world's smallest violin. :laugh:

I'll take the *yawn* as you can't come up with a logical response. Thanks for conceding.

You've spent the entire day arguing with people how much the Leafs suck. If that isn't a hater then idk

Did you read the quote I already addressed the Leaf fans

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You've spent the entire day arguing with people how much the Leafs suck. If that isn't a hater then idk

Did you read the quote I already addressed the Leaf fans
Sir, my first reply about the Leafs was to you, two and a half hours ago. There are 24 hours in a day.

You oddly don't want to talk about your team's cap management, though...

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It should be noted that this is the "Front Office" and not just the GM. In TOR's case that includes Shanahan, who from what I've read was very involved in the decision making process, which could be part of the ranking.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Sir, my first reply about the Leafs was to you, two and a half hours ago. There are 24 hours in a day.

You oddly don't want to talk about your team's cap management, though...

What is there to say? It's all been said. That's why I am not arguing they are top of the league or anything.

What you won't address is somehow saying management of teams who can't do any better than getting lottery picks for the last decade are better than yearly 100 point teams in the playoffs.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It should be noted that this is the "Front Office" and not just the GM. In TOR's case that includes Shanahan, who from what I've read was very involved in the decision making process, which could be part of the ranking.

There's a lot of Dubas fanboys who like to blame every bad move he made on Shanahan.

While Shanahan may have some blame, Dubas kinda disproved that he didn't have a lot of fault when he went to PIT and immediately traded their 1st for EK65 and then signed Ryan Graves and Tristan Jarry to long, bad contracts. :laugh:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
What is there to say? It's all been said. That's why I am not arguing they are top of the league or anything.

What you won't address is somehow saying management of teams who can't do any better than getting lottery picks for the last decade are better than yearly 100 point teams in the playoffs.

I must have missed where you explained how Toronto fans shouldn't be livid about how their management's cap structuring has f***ed them into oblivion.

And a Toronto fan criticizing other teams for not doing f*** all with lottery picks is hilarious.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I must have missed where you explained how Toronto fans shouldn't be livid about how their management's cap structuring has f***ed them into oblivion.

And a Toronto fan criticizing other teams for not doing f*** all with lottery picks is hilarious.

What's hilarious is refusing to acknowledge facts because you have a criticsm of the team. Sure, the cap allocation of so many forwards hasn't worked and many Leaf fans have spoken about it ad nasium. Also true, they have been a competitive team.

Imagine having the opinion if your team hasn't won at one time of year, you are worse than teams who lose all year long

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

With all due respect, you're not replying to a great reader. Or even a competent reader.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Montreal at 6? Why? It must be a bump for having a GM who talks to the media. Around the TDL the discussion by insiders about Montreal trade targets was constant. This must be a reward for that.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
What's hilarious is refusing to acknowledge facts because you have a criticsm of the team. Sure, the cap allocation of so many forwards hasn't worked and many Leaf fans have spoken about it ad nasium. Also true, they have been a competitive team.

Imagine having the opinion if your team hasn't won at one time of year, you are worse than teams who lose all year long

Imagine phrasing the Leafs' blowing their best window in decades to end their 55 year Cup drought as "They just haven't won at one time of year" to cope lmao.

That time of year just happens to be the playoffs.

This is the sports equivalent of, "I'm really smart I'm just a bad test taker." :laugh:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Montreal at 6? Why? It must be a bump for having a GM who talks to the media. Around the TDL the discussion by insiders about Montreal trade targets was constant. This must be a reward for that.

They legitimately have a Top 5 Prospect Pool and depending on how their current youth pans out they have the potential to have a solid cap structure for years. Slaf and Caufield will have to continue to progress to fulfill those contracts, though.

They're annoying as f*** with how they overrate some of their players/prospects, but it's hard to deny they've got a solid pool.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
They legitimately have a Top 5 Prospect Pool and depending on how their current youth pans out they have the potential to have a solid cap structure for years. Slaf and Caufield will have to continue to progress to fulfill those contracts, though.

They're annoying as f*** with how they overrate some of their players/prospects, but it's hard to deny they've got a solid pool.

You’re asserting this is about the prospect pool? Where are the other top 5 prospect pools ranked on this list?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad