Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Bit more context to Crosby's comments today from Taylor Haase. Crosby basically said what we're now speculating - he's just not sure exactly how long he wants to keep playing, but the fire is absolutely there and he will absolutely be in Pittsburgh.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby will struggle to hit ppg this season with DOC/Rust as his linemates. I think he realizes that and wants 1 year deals so he doesn't end up like Ovechkin, where he's a capdump for his team.

• Haha
Reactions: Fordy and Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Crosby will struggle to hit ppg this season with DOC/Rust as his linemates. I think he realizes that and wants 1 year deals so he doesn't end up like Ovechkin, where he's a capdump for his team.

He didn't have Guentzel for most of last year and he easily surpassed a PPG, all while having a dysfunctional powerplay. Don't know where this worry about Crosby playing with O'Connor and Rust is coming from, especially with how good that line was offensively to end last year.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think from how he answered the questions that the best approach for him would be just to sign one year contracts going forward…

Reactions: BusinessGoose

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If he's struggling that bad, they rearrange to get him the help he wants. Either via current linemates or via trade.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think from how he answered the questions that the best approach for him would be just to sign one year contracts going forward…
He should be traded to the AV's for a handsome return. We retain for this season we're looking at a big return.

Why? Because we're done winning with Crosby.

That also affords him the chance to chase another cup, he can sign a one day contract and retire with the Pens. Everybody wins!

Middlestadt, a '26 1ST, '27 3rd, Calum Ritchie.

We retain 2.5 mil.

Last edited:

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Someone did mention that Sid doesn't want to hamstring the team with 35+ contract if something happens.
Could just do a pile of one year contracts if he's concerned about the team over his pay.

Then if he had to retire, he only hurts the team for a bit, then he becomes a consultant at $9mil to finish out how long he had intended to play?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Could just do a pile of one year contracts if he's concerned about the team over his pay.

Then if he had to retire, he only hurts the team for a bit, then he becomes a consultant at $9mil to finish out how long he had intended to play?
That said, this team is likely going to fall off a cliff once he leaves. Not like they would be able to spend an additional $10mil that would replace him. But that's also Sid putting the team first so, I get it.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sid doesn't want to hang on and knows of his play if it starts to decline, he is gone. I do think what is surprising is he is not looking at term as the issue. But here is what I think, He sees cap space next year and may have a FA like Marner as a linemate.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
That said, this team is likely going to fall off a cliff once he leaves. Not like they would be able to spend an additional $10mil that would replace him. But that's also Sid putting the team first so, I get it.
Yeah. And i get don't one years until he just has to give up... Didn't help the team get assets for him at all...

... But i really don't think we could trade him for a haul anymore anyway, so, it's really a moot point

There is no way ten mil will bring in anything comparable to even a broken sid. No one wants to play here lol

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Worth noting that anything other than a 1 year extension all but guarantees Crosby will be on the ice watching 71 go into the rafters. Weird to think about having one and not the other.

Reactions: SEALBound

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Worth noting that anything other than a 1 year extension all but guarantees Crosby will be on the ice watching 71 go into the rafters. Weird to think about having one and not the other.

Nah geno will go to Russia and then retire when Sid does. They will go up together

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, Sid just posted arguably the best season of *all time* for a 36 year old player, points-wise. People are in for a rude awakening when the guy actually starts to struggle. :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He didn't have Guentzel for most of last year and he easily surpassed a PPG, all while having a dysfunctional powerplay. Don't know where this worry about Crosby playing with O'Connor and Rust is coming from, especially with how good that line was offensively to end last year.
Actually, he did have him for 50 games and 22 goals. Something nobody expects out of O'Connor.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I mean, Sid just posted arguably the best season of *all time* for a 36 year old player, points-wise. People are in for a rude awakening when the guy actually starts to struggle. :laugh:
It might not happen before he decides to retire. Jagr was still analytically insane at 44 years old lol.

Sid might just be good all the way up until he hangs em up. He's that level of player.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would love to see us swap a forward with the Leafs for Robertson!! They can use a veteran for their run like an Eller and we get younger and a guy management knows well!
I'm surprised that people aren't talking about Robertson more. Seems like exactly what we would want. A young LW that hasn't quite broken out yet, but shows some signs of being able to do it if given an opportunity next to someone like Crosby. His stats don't blow you away or anything, but he scored at a 35 even strength point pace last year getting only 11min a night.

I would assume it takes more than Eller to get him, but that is a good starting point IMO.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Sure why not...
We can replace him with two Granlunds! He got 60 points last year so that gives us 120 points :D.

Seriously though...
A yearly optionally renewable by Crosby would the best way.

• Haha

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
All that waiting for a 1yr x $875k deal.

I imagine it was like the Pettersson deal: Look kid, we want you. We need you. We have no money. Next year we will. Sign cheap and we will get you a good deal next year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lot of guys around and skating, according to Taylor…no Sid or Geno…and a surprise coach lol…

• Main rink: Kevin Hayes, Jonathan Gruden, Valtteri Puustinen, Noel Acciari, Sam Poulin, Ryan Shea, Lars Eller, Jesse Puljujarvi, Marcus Pettersson, Bryan Rust, Drew O'Connor, John Ludvig, Ryan Graves, Erik Karlsson, Cody Glass, Matt Grzelcyk, Corey Andonovski, Rutger McGroarty, Rickard Rakell, Vasily Ponomarev, Blake Lizotte, Alex Nedeljkovic, Tristan Jarry (adding to this as I go, keep checking back)

• Second rink: Sergei Murashov, Taylor Gauthier, Joel Blomqvist, Filip Larsson, Marc Johnstone, Isaac Belliveau, Joona Koppanen, Harrison Brunicke, Owen Pickering, Ville Koivunen, Scooter Brickey, Tristan Broz, Nathan Clurman, Raivis Ansons, Cooper Foster, Filip Kral, Boko Imama (still adding to this too as I go, lots of guys to keep track of)

• The session on the main rink is being run by Ty Hennes, Andy Chiodo ... and Jeff Carter, wearing the coach getup and everything:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad