(The Athletic) NHL Front-office confidence rankings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
LA should be 32.

Nah. It should be Buffalo, 13 years without a playoff appearance it can't be anybody but them.

There is no legitimate argument for anybody but them

When you realize Buffalo's current management group hasn't been running Buffalo for 13 years...

Adams has made his mistakes, but his cap structuring has been immaculate. That's a quality that has f***ed Toronto's contention window into the shadow realm.

Doesn't matter that it's not the same management group.

13 years is 13 years they should be last.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Considering the poll is literally on current management groups, yes it f***ing matters. :laugh:

Even if you wanted to stick to the current management group they haven't done shit either except trade top prospects for 3rd line centers, and 2nd rounders for 4th line grinders.

Tremendous management group.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Leafs should be 13-17

They are behind the Buffalo Sabres who haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.

Detroit who is going for year 9.

Ottawa who is going for year 8

Utah who hasn't played a game as Utah and is the former Arizona

Then you get to Chicago, SJ and the Ducks.

The Athletic should be ashamed to post this.

It’s a fan survey. Maybe the fans should be embarrassed that that’s their take on their team?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Even if you wanted to stick to the current management group they haven't done shit either except trade top prospects for 3rd line centers, and 2nd rounders for 4th line grinders.

Tremendous management group.

That and sign their core players to max term deals on solid cap hits.

Which certainly beats massively overpaying them for mid-term deals and blowing your contention window, like some other organization does....

Last edited:
Reactions: Laus723

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'll get hate but don't care, Toronto being under Columbus, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, and a few others is laughable. A lot of those teams haven't been able to get out of the basement for a decade and the Leafs are a yearly top 10 team who was in the 2nd round just last season
Yeah, Toronto is always on the bottom of these lists for obvious reasons. Ottawa and Buffalo have absolutely no business being above Toronto. I'd put them somewhere in the 15-20 ish range, even 25, 3rd worst is eh pretty inaccurate.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Give me a legitimate argument for Toronto to be lower than Buffalo, you can't because their isn't one.

When you miss the playoffs for 13 straight years you don't belong anywhere but last.

The Buffalo Sabres are the worst run team in the league, with a 13 year playoff drought it can't be anybody but them.
If you don’t like the results, then should be blaming leafs fans. The public vote was a couple of spots better than the leafs fan vote.
Seems like leaf fans didn’t read the article, or don’t subscribe.

Voting is based on,

Each front office is graded in six categories: roster building, cap management, drafting and development, trading, free agency and vision.

This year’s edition saw nearly 10,000 responses from fans grading their favorite teams and 250 responses grading every team.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
The disconnect on Calgary between Flames fans and other fans is pretty interesting. I was surprised they were so low until I saw it was a fan poll. Conroy is a breath of fresh air after Tre.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I'll get hate but don't care, Toronto being under Columbus, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, and a few others is laughable. A lot of those teams haven't been able to get out of the basement for a decade and the Leafs are a yearly top 10 team who was in the 2nd round just last season

Yeah, Toronto is always on the bottom of these lists for obvious reasons. Ottawa and Buffalo have absolutely no business being above Toronto. I'd put them somewhere in the 15-20 ish range, even 25, 3rd worst is eh pretty inaccurate.

Rangers too high

You guys... this is a fan poll. Your beef is with 1000's of fan's rankings of their own (and other) management groups.

The disconnect on Calgary between Flames fans and other fans is pretty interesting. I was surprised they were so low until I saw it was a fan poll. Conroy is a breath of fresh air after Tre.
Finally! Someone who makes sense!

The most interesting thing(s) in the article is the disconnect between public and fan perception. For example Rangers fans are way harder on their team than the other fans. Avs fans know that their team is struggling to draft/develop well, but the public doesn't. Sharks fans are pretty excited but the rest of the world doesn't see it yet. And so on.

My hopes are moderate that we can avoid too many more "X team should be below Y" comments because they are senseless.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That and sign their core players to max term deals on solid cap hits.

Which certainly beats massively overpaying them for mid-term deals and blowing your contention window, like some other organization does....

One of those teams is top 10 every year, the other is bottom 10 most years

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You guys... this is a fan poll. Your beef is with 1000's of fan's rankings of their own (and other) management groups.

Finally! Someone who makes sense!

The most interesting thing(s) in the article is the disconnect between public and fan perception. For example Rangers fans are way harder on their team than the fans. Avs fans know that their team is struggling to draft/develop well, but the public doesn't. Sharks fans are pretty excited but the rest of the world doesn't see it yet. And so on.

My hopes are moderate that we can avoid too many more "X team should be below Y" comments because they are senseless.
Hard to take much from the public voting, as it’s only 2.5% of the fans voting on their own team.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
5 months ago Tanev was one of the most wanted and respected shutdown D in the league, now he is a garbage contract. OEL played hard minutes for the cup winners including taking over top PP in the finals now he sucks.

*yawn* not to mention those other teams have signed terrible contracts and again, at least the Leafs are in the playoffs every year
Look inward boss, the rankings are this way because Leafs fans are perpetually depressed lol. Just like in Montreal, they can win a game 6-1 and there will be a one hour segment on TSN 1050 the next day complaining about Willy's back check on the GA

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
One of those teams is top 10 every year, the other is bottom 10 most years

One of these teams has made the Conference Finals in the Cap Era. The other has not.

One of these teams has made the Stanley Cup Finals in the last 50 years. The other has not.

You keep crying about a fan poll where your own peers said they're not confident in their management. I wonder why? You're supposed to have one of the top core groups in the league and have won less games outside the first round in the ENTIRE CAP ERA than SEATTLE because your management sucks.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Leafs should be 13-17

They are behind the Buffalo Sabres who haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.

Detroit who is going for year 9.

Ottawa who is going for year 8

Utah who hasn't played a game as Utah and is the former Arizona

Then you get to Chicago, SJ and the Ducks.

The Athletic should be ashamed to post this.
But is it not basically just a conduit for the fans of the team? I don't think it's unreasonable, Leafs have not met expectations for nearly a decade straight now and their fans have blinders on... speak with virtually any boomer Leaf fan, they are so jaded by years of the Leafs disappointing for so long that they can't appreciate the most talented team they've had, maybe ever?

i love what our management has done so far but selling is always easier will see how they do once its time to buy and compete for that cup
I mean they do already have virtually their entire core locked up so the foundation is there but yeah, the confidence is predicated on a whole lot of "what ifs" one of which probably being adding a truly elite forward in the next two years

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
5 months ago Tanev was one of the most wanted and respected shutdown D in the league, now he is a garbage contract. OEL played hard minutes for the cup winners including taking over top PP in the finals now he sucks.

*yawn* not to mention those other teams have signed terrible contracts and again, at least the Leafs are in the playoffs every year

"These players were good at one point, but aren't anymore/will age horribly, but I'll just ignore that! *yawn*"

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
But is it not basically just a conduit for the fans of the team? I don't think it's unreasonable, Leafs have not met expectations for nearly a decade straight now and their fans have blinders on, speak with virtually any boomer Leaf fan, they are so jaded by years of the Leafs disappointing for so long that they can't appreciate the most talented team they've had, maybe ever?

Detroit has continuously improved every year Yzerman has been there.

Toronto has won one playoff series in the last 20+ years despite being thought of as a Cup favorite for the last 5+ years.

Really hard to see why fans of one team may be more optimistic than the other lol.

Reactions: golgoXIII

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Detroit has continuously improved every year Yzerman has been there.

Toronto has won one playoff series in the last 20+ years despite being thought of as a Cup favorite for the last 5+ years.

Really hard to see why fans of one team may be more optimistic than the other lol.
Yup, it's literally "what so far hasn't worked" vs "what could be" and if I'm being honest, there's a higher probability Detroit or Buffalo or whoever won't have the sustained success (relative) Toronto has had than that they will. But potential is one hell of a drug lol

As far as Detroit goes though, after this past year and offseason I'd be a little shakier on Yzerman

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But is it not basically just a conduit for the fans of the team? I don't think it's unreasonable, Leafs have not met expectations for nearly a decade straight now and their fans have blinders on... speak with virtually any boomer Leaf fan, they are so jaded by years of the Leafs disappointing for so long that they can't appreciate the most talented team they've had, maybe ever?

I mean they do already have virtually their entire core locked up so the foundation is there but yeah, the confidence is predicated on a whole lot of "what ifs" one of which probably being adding a truly elite forward in the next two years

They haven't met expectations which is why they should be middle of the pack.

They make the playoffs every year, they are top 10 almost every year, but come playoff time they haven't met expectations So they should be 13-17 not 30th.

The teams I mentioned some of them are closing in a decade without playoffs, and in Buffalo's case they are working on their 2nd decade, they have a ways to go but they are working on it.

Surprised Tampa is still so high to be honest.

I'm not, cooper is still there.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
They haven't met expectations which is why they should be middle of the pack.

They make the playoffs every year, they are top 10 almost every year, but come playoff time they haven't met expectations So they should be 13-17 not 30th.

The teams I mentioned some of them are closing in a decade without playoffs, and in Buffalo's case they are working on their 2nd decade, they have a ways to go but they are working on it.
You're glazing over the point that it's YOUR TEAM'S FANS that are expressing this sentiment. There is no one to blame but yourselves. The call is coming from inside the house.

The expectations that you set on a year to year basis also impact the way your results are interpreted.
If you say you're going to run a marathon and finish in like 8th place, you're the man
If you insist you're going to win the marathon for weeks and finish in 8th... total loser

Indeed…Was this poll taken before or after Stamkos signed with Nashville?
While that was a bad look I think overall the moves they made this summer give more reason to have hope for their future. Feels like they took some measure against a massive drop off

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Yup, it's literally "what so far hasn't worked" vs "what could be" and if I'm being honest, there's a higher probability Detroit or Buffalo or whoever won't have the sustained success (relative) Toronto has had than that they will. But potential is one hell of a drug lol

As far as Detroit goes though, after this past year and offseason I'd be a little shakier on Yzerman
Certain fans are starting to sour on Yzerman, but I'd bet those are a lot of the fans who were pounding the table last year that we need to trade for Helle or Karlsson.

I don't think ownership will sour on Yzerman unless his draft picks start failing. He's been repeating himself since day one that it's going to take time, they're not just trying to build a decent team that can make the playoffs, and that they have to build through the draft. So if his picks start underwhelming, that's where he's f***ed.

Good news for him is all his first round picks are coming along nicely. Bad news is they don't really seem to have a forward outside Raymond with bona fide elite potential. Danielson could get there if his offensive game is underrated as some suspect. He exploded when he got traded to Portland.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad