Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think the plan for Lain in Columbus is to have him prepped up for the TDL. They'll only trade him if the value offered gets close to what they think they could get then. If that blows up, I fully expect them to buy out Laine next summer. Not like they're hurting bad cap wise anyhow.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think the plan for Lain in Columbus is to have him prepped up for the TDL. They'll only trade him if the value offered gets close to what they think they could get then. If that blows up, I fully expect them to buy out Laine next summer. Not like they're hurting bad cap wise anyhow.
They won't ever buy out Laine unless he is so bad that his career is over.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I doubt he will hold out. I expect he will play if he isn't traded.
Maybe, Waddell said he's not the kind to block players though, so the buy out is last resort. If Laine can't perform playing this season and no one wants him come TDL, there's not too many options left afterwards.

Edit: I guess they could LTIR him for being allergic to Ice or something similar.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Engels is definitely on the money there. Laine has never felt like a legitimate option to the MO of this front office. I'm sure if they got paid to take him, they'd be interested but the risks are plenty, and the upside is what? You have to decide to trade him as a rental when you want to be a playoff team next year or extend him at a salary that blows out their cap structure?
There is zero risk. And huge potential upside.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People act like a 2 seasons stint, culminated by a trade at the TDL, is going to corrupt their carefully crafted foxhole.

It's funny how defensive we can become.

No - I don't think the market is a good fit for a guy coming out of an assistance program, with what would be the highest salary on the team and unreasonable hype because people don't understand what Laine is now is not what he was projected to be after season 1.

I don't think Laine himself would have any problems on the team or locker room. I do think it would be a bad fit for the player and I generally want people with mental health struggles to be given the best opportunity to overcome them.

Reactions: Sam I Am

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Team comes first
I think that was the very first thing I said about Laine in this thread and got shot down.
Both Hugo and Marty are always talking bout players having a team first mentality.
I don't know if Laine ever put his team first maybe early on in his career but it didn't last.

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Wow, I didn't realize there were locker room issues involved. I think that means he'll be in Montreal before training camp starts. ;)
He's 2 for 2 in that category. Pascale Vincent would know for sure.
I've already talked about the interview he gave when he signed his second contract with Winnipeg.
Compare what he said with what every player we've re-upped since Suzuki has said.
I got a sense of me myself and I in Laine's case.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He's 2 for 2 in that category. Pascale Vincent would know for sure.
I've already talked about the interview he gave when he signed his second contract with Winnipeg.
Compare what he said with what every player we've re-upped since Suzuki has said.
I got a sense of me myself and I in Laine's case.
Yeah even though he's had issues in 2 locker rooms. I'm not going to pretend to know how involved he was. Which is why having direct assess to Vincent will be a huge plus.

The only thing I remember Laine saying during that interview was something like "I'm going to score more goals". Since he's known for being a goal scorer, I can't really fault him for that.

It's possible he may be like that. Take into consideration though, English is his second language. He was also still a kid when he signed that contract.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Waddell is being quite candid with his answers
True it's like he's trying to force a solution other than a trade. He has to hold at this point IMO.
Yeah even though he's had issues in 2 locker rooms. I'm not going to pretend to know how involved he was. Which is why having direct assess to Vincent will be a huge plus.

The only thing I remember Laine saying during that interview was something like "I'm going to score more goals". Since he's known for being a goal scorer, I can't really fault him for that.

It's possible he may be like that. Take into consideration though, English is his second language. He was also still a kid when he signed that contract.
Yeah he vowed to score plenty of goals. He could have put in a word or two about doing whatever it takes to help the team win.
He shrugged off the question regarding the discord with the team. The fact that they didn't give him term was telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad