Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Reactions: dinodebino

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
will be interesting to see whether Laine reports to CBJ camp / start of the season ..

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Agree - Waddell is trying to create competition in the market, I have no doubt there are teams very interested in acquiring Laine but not at value commensurate of a player of his caliber (re: pennies on the $)
Laine is on a short leash, his career could be done in NA if he doesn't become a pro and just play hockey.
I think whoever gets him, it's a very calculated risk as long as the price is a bargain, or his salary is half covered by CBJ. At this point, he has a very low value because of the high cap hit.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Laine is on a short leash, his career could be done in NA if he doesn't become a pro and just play hockey.
I think whoever gets him, it's a very calculated risk as long as the price is a bargain, or his salary is half covered by CBJ. At this point, he has a very low value because of the high cap hit.
Alot of baggage 🧳

Reactions: Rapala and BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
IMO many teams think he’ll easily score 30G+ consistently w appropriate line mates & team support that he doesn’t have in CBJ.

As the saying goes “when GMs see one of their peers overboard they throw them an anchor not a life jacket”

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So they say eh...............stay tuned.
New coach, new GM, do they want the distraction?

I don't think he is the one talking.............the team is.
Or his agent.
It's all being aired publicly one way or the other.
I guess I could have said noise coming out of the Laine Camp.
For some reason I don't see Waddell airing that stuff that would't make sense to me.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I think the language issue is bigger than anyone really wants to talk about.

Lots of talk from MLB and the NBA about Montreal, but absolute crickets when it comes down to action on those words.
We all know, our parents told us, action..............speak louder than words.
Not only language with the NBA…I mean even the Raptors aren’t attracting premier UFAs because of the ‘it’s cold, and foreign and its customs all the time’ crowd. And it’s Toronto. A US wannabe city. Same with baseball players.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's pretty well established by now that HuGo won't rush anything until they feel it's on favorable terms for them. They definitely don't mind playing the waiting game.
They can afford.............and they are using the leverage.
In Columbus, they have a new coach and a new GM and they cannot afford to wait, and have a huge distraction. He will get dealt, no question in my eyes.....Where? Who knows....but one thing for certain, almost no one can afford to take on the 8.7M per

Reactions: Gustave

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think he's more not interested and is only there if Waddell comes there and pays KH to take him.
It sure does seem like it. The question is will Waddell be willing to pay what it will cost to dump that contract.
This isn't much different than the Monahan deal when you think about it.
With a higher salary two year commitment and a number of unknowns...

Actually Monahan had a far better resume over all except maybe the physical health.
Columbus aren't about to offer up a first however.
At this point Laine has to play or Waddell has to pay.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
KH is waiting out Waddell.... playing a game of chicken
Agree - I think that’s exactly what’s happening

HuGo are banking on Laine wants out and as season opener nears there’s only a couple of teams that can take on that cap hit

Wouldn’t shock me after opening rosters have been submitted HuGo submit an offer which includes taking on most of the AAV.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Evidently new coach Dean Evason has spoken to Laine and Laine reiterated he wants a fresh start elsewhere. 8.7 Million for what I would consider an unknown commodity will be difficult to move.

Reactions: Rapala

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He will be traded before camp.................they do not want a kid in camp who wants out..............they will take whatever the best deal out there is.....................the 8.7M is the elephant in the room.
If I were the Blue Jackets, I'd definitely retain salary to get good players for the long term
They most likely aren't winning anything this year. So better to get a good package of futures.

Reactions: BLONG7

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I think he's more not interested and is only there if Waddell comes there and pays KH to take him.
I guess see.. none of us know for sure. time will tell

It sure does seem like it. The question is will Waddell be willing to pay what it will cost to dump that contract.
This isn't much different than the Monahan deal when you think about it.
With a higher salary two year commitment and a number of unknowns...

Actually Monahan had a far better resume over all except maybe the physical health.
Columbus aren't about to offer up a first however.
At this point Laine has to play or Waddell has to pay.
which is a good point. Monahan was damaged goods and it worked out well for the habs.

who says Laine cant be either.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
will be interesting to see whether Laine reports to CBJ camp / start of the season ..
The best way for to get traded would be for him to show up and have a great start in the season.

I think a lot of GM are currently suspicious about Laine and whether he is really back to what he has been, hence his current low value. I bet a lot of scouts/GMs will go watch him for a couple of games. His value could quickly change!

Reactions: Rapala and vokiel

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Evidently new coach Dean Evason has spoken to Laine and Laine reiterated he wants a fresh start elsewhere. 8.7 Million for what I would consider an unknown commodity will be difficult to move.
I was just looking at where Sean Monahan was at the last 5 seasons prior to Hughes taking on his contract.
Monahan put up 105 goals and a net -27 in those 5 seasons vs Laine who put up 66 goals and a net -57.
Sean Monahan with less term and a lower cap hit garnered us a first there were no red flags or drama just the concerns with his hip.

The irony of course is Columbus giving Monahan a 5 year deal.
What valuation could Kent Hughes possibly be giving Patrik Laine?
I guess there is the age factor to consider.

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad