NCAA: The 2024 College Football Playoff: The Only Bowls That Matter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Injury would have cost WA a TO. No different than if WA needed to score and a guy went down. It can go both ways. So, they keep the rule consistent regardless of what the best interests are for the team.

Still goes back to logic and managing the clock. Were those the best run plays WA had to actually try to secure a 1st down and thus end the game? Or were they conservative runs?

Better off taking a knee each time even though you can't run out the clock. Still have to give the ball back to TX with under 20 seconds. But, that is low risk of anything bad happening.
I didn't have a problem with the play calling, the injury is just one of those freak things that happens. I really can't ever remember it happening like that, guys will limp off if they can. Not running the ball on 3rd down in the drive before was a far bigger tactical mistake. At worst he should have told Penix to take a knee instead of throwing it away. If Texas is down to one timeout they would have just taken the knee after getting the onside kick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I didn't have a problem with the play calling, the injury is just one of those freak things that happens. I really can't ever remember it happening like that, guys will limp off if they can. Not running the ball on 3rd down in the drive before was a far bigger tactical mistake. At worst he should have told Penix to take a knee instead of throwing it away. If Texas is down to one timeout they would have just taken the knee after getting the onside kick.
Worst case outcome is a fumble. Then is a clock stoppage which would be an offensive penalty that gets declined, going out of bounds or like we saw an injury where the player can’t get off the field on his own.

So that is the risk of running the ball vs taking a knee to ensure the clock keeps running.

Unless you are legitimately trying your best to get the first down best to take the knee on third down. Heck even all 3 downs. Again, never know if an OL will hold or get their hands into the face of a DL. Remember back when Atl had first and 10 inside the NE 25 up 8 in the final few minutes. Got 2 penalties which pushed them outside FG range to make it a 2 score game at that point. So that can happen when you run the ball.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Worst case outcome is a fumble. Then is a clock stoppage which would be an offensive penalty that gets declined, going out of bounds or like we saw an injury where the player can’t get off the field on his own.

So that is the risk of running the ball vs taking a knee to ensure the clock keeps running.

Unless you are legitimately trying your best to get the first down best to take the knee on third down. Heck even all 3 downs. Again, never know if an OL will hold or get their hands into the face of a DL. Remember back when Atl had first and 10 inside the NE 25 up 8 in the final few minutes. Got 2 penalties which pushed them outside FG range to make it a 2 score game at that point. So that can happen when you run the ball.
They also dropped back to pass and took a sack. completely took them out of FG range. They should of run it and kicked the FG. But no they went full stupid

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They also dropped back to pass and took a sack. completely took them out of FG range. They should of run it and kicked the FG. But no they went full stupid
Yep. The goal at that point after the 2 penalties was to secure a FG attempt. Short quick pass to get inside the 35 yard line for Byrant. But, no, seemed like they wanted to convert a first down. Play the clock in addition to your opponent.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I got Michigan winning it all on Monday. They are on a mission and that D-line ate up Bama. Washington is going to have a hard time containing that. Also I think Corum is going to have a huge game, he destroyed Washington 2 years ago in the regular season

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I got Michigan winning it all on Monday. They are on a mission and that D-line ate up Bama. Washington is going to have a hard time containing that. Also I think Corum is going to have a huge game, he destroyed Washington 2 years ago in the regular season
Battle of the trenches. MI OL needs to dominate to have the ball control run game they want to have. WAS OL needs to pass protect to give Penix and the WR time to get open. MI CBs are better than TX but still, the WA WRs are NFL caliber, and Rome A should be the 2nd or 3rd WR off the board.

Reactions: DaveG

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
All but two of the defensive starters and all of the coaches from that Washington team are gone.

Reactions: DaveG and LT

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Given the room the CB gave the WR, a throw at waist level towards the sidelines would have allowed the WR to shield the CB off with his body for the TD. But, that is how it goes. It was there for Texas to steal it.
It’s been an issue I’ve had with Quinn. He has all the arm talent in the world, but puts a lot of air under it, way too often.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
i'm still laughing at how texas didn't win

the hype machine about texas being back was up there. how do they not win that game rofl

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
i'm still laughing at how texas didn't win

the hype machine about texas being back was up there. how do they not win that game rofl
They weren’t any less back than Michigan was before this year.

Reactions: DaveG

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

I was at the game, these were not the only Ohio St. fans in attendance, one guy was wearing a shirt with a giant asterisk on it, which I think is even more embarrassing than what those people wore.

Ryan Day has just turned a portion of their fanbase into MSU fans where the highlight of the season is rooting against Michigan in big games while highlighting his record in bad, meaningless games. I know some of my fellow UM people disagree, but I actually hope when Day is fired after next season that OSU hires a competent coach that returns the program to where it belongs. In the 12 team playoff era there is room for both teams to be great. I don't think OSU can be great with Day, not with as many good teams on the schedule annually now.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

I agree with both 1 & 2.

But that won't stop some people (or a certain hot-seat head coach) who lost by 23 points at home (right after changing their signs) from using that as an excuse for their own failures.

Having a backloaded schedule this season was truly a blessing for us.

Reactions: DaveG and Ben Grimm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad